shape
carat
color
clarity

Cranberry Sauce: how do you like it?

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Fresh cranberry sauce is the only way to go. Sugar, water and cranberries..its amazing. I love atching the cranberries pop when cooking. Ive played around with relish, orange zest, and other little variations, and nothing beats the classic plain ole recipe. Bought my pack of cranberries today. Yum.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I also use this cranberry sauce when I make other stuff like pork loin or tenderloin.

18oz jar orange marmalade
2/3 cups orange juice
2 cinnamon sticks broken in half
1-12ounce bag of fresh cranberries

In a 2 qt saucepan combine the orange marmalade, orange juice, and broken cinnamon sticks. Stir mixture over a medium heat until it begins to boil. Add the cranberries and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium until the cranberries burst and sauce thickens slightly (about 5 minutes). Cool completely before serving or store in fridge to serve cold later.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1416857797|3789668 said:
AGBF|1416855827|3789649 said:
telephone89|1416852234|3789617 said:
i LOVE cranberries, but I hate cranberry sauce, and especially on turkey. So weird to me lol.

So how do you like them? In baked products? Have you ever had them in a jello mold? If you like jello, cranberries in a jello mold, especially a rich one full of whipped cream and/or cream cheese, is positively decadent! One tastes the individual cranberries, so it isn't like a sauce in which the cranberries are all chopped up or puréed (not that I, personally, dislike those types of sauces). The cranberries are full and present and whole, but the surrounding dessert-like product holding them is cool, sweet, and creamy.

I like cranberry juice (probably too much, people must think i have a uti all the time!) probably the most. And raw/fresh cranberries, I just eat them out of the bag haha.

I don't mind them in baked products, like a cranberry muffin or something. I don't think I've ever had jello-ed cranberries. Do you put the cream cheese in with the jello? Or just on top?

I, also, love cranberry juice. I also love cranberries in just about every form imaginable. I have a small cookbook that is just about cranberries. The jello recipes for cranberries that use cream cheese, whipping cream, and so forth, incorporate these things into the jello molds. One can always top the jello with extra whipped cream, of course! Below s a recipe from Allrecipes.com that is similar to the one I posted, but more natural, that got absolutely rave reviews.

Creamy Cranberry Salad

INGREDIENTS:

1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
1 cup white sugar
1 (6 ounce) package red Jell-O® mix
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple,
drained
3/4 cup orange juice
1 apple with peel, grated
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup whipping cream
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
softened

DIRECTIONS:

1. Process cranberries in blender or food processor; pour sugar over cranberries and stir to dissolve.
2. Bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil; stir in gelatin and let cool. Stir cooled gelatin into cranberries, and add pineapple, orange juice, apple and pecans. Mix well, cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Whip cream and beat in cream cheese.
4. In a glass serving dish, layer half of the cranberry mixture, then the whipped cream mixture, then the remaining cranberry mixture.

Deb/AGBF

cranberryjello.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have soemthing similar to that, called a trifle. It encorprates cake and uses a custard base instead of the cream cheese, but pretty similar!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1416862599|3789727 said:
We have soemthing similar to that, called a trifle. It encorprates cake and uses a custard base instead of the cream cheese, but pretty similar!

Trifle is not unknown to me, telephone. The US was once ruled by England. Back before we were the US. ;))

Deb

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1416863054|3789736 said:
telephone89|1416862599|3789727 said:

Trifle is not unknown to me, telephone. The US was once ruled by England. Back before we were the US. ;))

Deb
I'm from Canada, but no one here knows what it is! They eat it and like it, but have no clue haha

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
NTave|1416858417|3789675 said:
Fresh cranberry sauce is the only way to go. Sugar, water and cranberries..its amazing. I love atching the cranberries pop when cooking. Ive played around with relish, orange zest, and other little variations, and nothing beats the classic plain ole recipe. Bought my pack of cranberries today. Yum.

I love the popping too.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1416856442|3789658 said:
qtiekiki|1416843094|3789531 said:
I usually do the basic, like Missy's and the Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish. My friend told me about the relish a few years ago. I love it. It's great to use with leftovers for sandwiches too.

* 2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed
* 1 small onion
* 3/4 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar ("red is a bit milder than white")

Grind the cranberries and onion into a chunky grinder (you can hand grind or use a food processor). Add everything else and mix together. Put in the freezer. Thaw in refrigerator the morning of the day you are using it (it should still have some little icy slivers left when served).

This looks really good to me. I know I cannot make it this year, but I don't want to lose the recipe. I am grateful that Gypsy started this thread because I never saw recipes like this. I am interested in seeing more and may seek them out now that I know they exist. We always ate sweet cranberry sauces in my family!

Be warn that the relish is pepto-bismol pink. It's still sweet and tart plus a little kick.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I make an old-school cranberry jello mold with crushed pineapple and walnuts. I learned it from an ex-boyfriend's mom. She gave me a lot of 70's recipes. Looks somewhat like the picture below I found online.

_24543.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Martha Stewart's Cranberry Trifle

Ingredients

2 bags (12 ounces each) cranberries, fresh or frozen
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
1 bar (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
2 homemade or store-bought all-butter pound cakes (12 ounces each), cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
Candied Orange Zest, for garnish (optional)

Directions

In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, 2 cups granulated sugar, ginger, and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer over medium; cook until cranberries begin to burst, 8 to 10 minutes. Let compote cool completely.

Make cream filling: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and vanilla on high until well combined. With mixer on medium, gradually add heavy cream; continue beating until soft peaks form.

Arrange 1/3 of cake in a 3-quart serving dish. Spoon 1/3 of compote over cake; spread to sides of dish. Dollop 1/3 of cream filling over compote; spread to sides of dish. Repeat twice, ending with cream filling. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours (or up to 1 day). Garnish with Candied Orange Zest, if desired.​

marthastewartcranberrytrifle.jpg

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
DH makes his with fresh cranberries, navel oranges, red wine, candied ginger, allspice powder, and sugar.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1416861393|3789713 said:
I also love cranberries in just about every form imaginable. I have a small cookbook that is just about cranberries.

I found that one can still buy the cookbook I have on-line through Amazon.com (and possibly in many other places as well!). I had not been sure it was still extant. At any rate, it is entitled The Cranberry Connection and I have owned it forever! So the recipes are quite old-fashioned and good! (I also own the same book about blueberries.)

Deb :wavey:

cranberrycookbook.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a baked French toast the other day with cranberries:

Layer slices of fresh apples on the bottom of a buttered baking dish
Sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar (supposed to melt in with the butter and make an almost caramel thing)
Pour cranberries over the top
Stick your slices of bread on (I like using challah)
pour the milk mixture over (I use almond milk, eggs, fresh nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and a bit of fresh ground clove)

Let sit for 30+ minutes then bake at 350-400 (doesn't really matter - I've done both and they both work great) until cooked. (pick your desired custard/brown balance)

So delicious! No need for syrup or anything.

Bread pudding variation:
Cube or tear the bread instead of slicing. Dice the apples. Mix all together. Dump in pan. Let sit then bake as directed above.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my favorite cranberry sauce and it is easy and great! Three ingredients...cranberries, sugar, and orange juice!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cranberry-sauce/

INGREDIENTS:
12 ounces cranberries
1 cup white sugar
1 cup orange juice

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in the orange juice. Stir in the cranberries and cook until the cranberries start to pop (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and place sauce in a bowl. Cranberry sauce will thicken as it cools.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make the recipe on the package but cut the sugar in half. I love to add extra orange zest. I cook as directed until I add the cranberries. I give it a good stir until it comes up to a boil, then I take it off the heat, I do not stir anymore as I like the cranberries to be whole. Cutting down the cooking time and lack of stirring makes the cranberries 'pop' when you bite into them. :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results