carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hI,

I have a friend , 83 yrs old, who lives in an affluent town in Maryland. She exhibited fever, a cough
and general malaise . She has had previous lung scarring. No tests were available. They took xrays of her lungs, which showed no pneumonia, so she was sent home with instructions to take her temp in the evening. Even if the test were available it takes 5 days to get resuts. So, no tests yet.

Annette

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article makes me mad as hell. Basically it says that there's no time to make ventilators!

If the pandemic is going to continue for 18 months, the United States should start manufacturing ventilators, not argue that there is not enough time to produce enough of them for the present! Because if we do nothing now, the future will be as gloomy as the present. How stupid can the federal government be?

Also, pharmaceutical companies will do anything for money. Why not offer a bonus to any manufacturing company that cranks out a certain number of ventilators? I mean a pharmaceutical level type bonus. Lives are at stake!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF you will be glad to know that the POTUS has enacted the Defense Production Act so this can begin immediately along with other emergency medical supplies.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm healthy, so I don't have as much concern as others would. I do wonder if the virus is changing though, as one of the three people who have died in NJ as of this morning lived in the town where I work. Apparently, her brother was in contact with the first person who passed in Northern NJ, and he went to a family gathering and spread the love. Five family members of the deceased woman (who was 55) are now in critical condition with the virus, four in NJ hospitals and one in Pennsylvania. Other pediatric family members are also now being tested. FWIW, her test results did not come back as positive until after she had passed.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you guys still having housekeepers come and clean? I'm thinking we should cancel, but still pay them. Would it be bad to pay and ask for future "credit"? We do once every 3 weeks now, but can do once every 2 weeks in the future?

Our housekeeper is nervous. She takes the train to my mom and subway to us......I told her to stay home, but will pay her (less the cost of her commute, which is substantial).

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH just got tested. Having more difficulty breathing and the regular Dr can't see him because of the symptoms plus the probable exposure. A negative test would mean he could see his regular Dr if the problem keeps going to treat him for pneumonia or whatever this is if it turns out the test is negative. Given everything, he had the choice to do drive through testing and stay home (as long as able to breathe okay enough) or get triaged in emergency and likely sent to isolation floor (which would guarantee exposure) until results came back.

We'll know results in 3-5 days. Quarantine at home until then. I'm hoping it is negative and just a bacterial pneumonia or something. Also hoping he does okay enough until he can see his Dr that we don't have to go to emergency!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @sarahb he's doing better. On a lighter note...he's probably at more mortal risk now from my mum!
(Dad isn't the best of patients; Mum overreacts.)(Shouldn't joke but helping mum laugh at the situation - over the phone - helps ease the tension a bit).

Fingers crossed the worst that anyone else gets is "left feeling like they've been beaten up" as dad puts it.

I just adore old people & when I saw he was 70, i just kind of melted a bit, I hope he has an easier time of it TS. :)

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh dear @TooPatient , the wait begins, try to get some sleep tonight. I'm so sorry your family is dealing with this.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'll know results in 3-5 days. Quarantine at home until then.

Sending PS dust that he's negative and if not, that he recovers without incident. Also dust to you that you stay well.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Would you all get a haircut on Saturday with everything?

I don't know about that. I'm supposed to go.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Our governor said that school would most likely be closed for the rest of the school year. We have been asked to stay inside. It’s not quite shelter in place, but almost. I expect to hear shelter in place today.

We just received shelter in place. I also live about 20 min from UCD.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
hI,

I have a friend , 83 yrs old, who lives in an affluent town in Maryland. She exhibited fever, a cough
and general malaise . She has had previous lung scarring. No tests were available. They took xrays of her lungs, which showed no pneumonia, so she was sent home with instructions to take her temp in the evening. Even if the test were available it takes 5 days to get resuts. So, no tests yet.

Annette

What county @smitcompton? I hope
she’ll be okay..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

No..I brought hair scissors with me to Maryland. I plan on cutting our hair....

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

No, I would not, but then again I am on day 5 of self isolation.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
DH just got tested. Having more difficulty breathing and the regular Dr can't see him because of the symptoms plus the probable exposure. A negative test would mean he could see his regular Dr if the problem keeps going to treat him for pneumonia or whatever this is if it turns out the test is negative. Given everything, he had the choice to do drive through testing and stay home (as long as able to breathe okay enough) or get triaged in emergency and likely sent to isolation floor (which would guarantee exposure) until results came back.

We'll know results in 3-5 days. Quarantine at home until then. I'm hoping it is negative and just a bacterial pneumonia or something. Also hoping he does okay enough until he can see his Dr that we don't have to go to emergency!

I will be keeping you and your husband in my thoughts. I'm so sorry to hear this!!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
No..I brought hair scissors with me to Maryland. I plan on cutting our hair....

And I'll be cutting my husband's hair for the first time in our 19 years of married life! He just ordered up a kit and said I was going to have a new title. I told him I have already assumed the role of homeschool teacher, and he said well now you are going to be a hairdresser. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
And I'll be cutting my husband's hair for the first time in our 19 years of married life! He just ordered up a kit and said I was going to have a new title. I told him I have already assumed the role of homeschool teacher, and he said well now you are going to be a hairdresser. :lol:

I use to cut my children’s hair when they were little. I figure no one will see us since we’re not going anywhere. lol

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trumps use of the term “China virus” is seriously irking me. I’m Chinese. Im a doctor. Please stop making it harder for me to do my job.

I have definitely noticed people looking and scowling at me more. If I get assaulted and can’t go to work due to other humans being horrible I will be so so mad.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending PS dust that he's negative and if not, that he recovers without incident. Also dust to you that you stay well.

I got sick a few days before him, but I am recovering mostly. Still coughing and pain in the lungs. Tests are still limited so if his comes up as positive, they will count me as a presumptive positive. Given the HUGE swab they stuck way up in his sinuses, I am just as happy to not get one :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF you will be glad to know that the POTUS has enacted the Defense Production Act so this can begin immediately along with other emergency medical supplies.

Good news indeed if production of medical supplies is really ramped up!

I think I have the virus. Tonight at around 7 PM I started to feel odd in the chest. I immediately typed up a list of the medications I am on because the computer I used for years was destroyed by malware and I wanted to be able to give the list of my meds to anyone if I was too sick to reproduce it.

In the past few days I have been doing laundry and sanitizing as much as possible every day as if I knew I might fall apart. But maybe that's just part of the same panic that drives us to hoard. We try to get ready before it hits.

I may just be having a hysterical reaction. All I do all day is read about and watch television about the coronavirus. But at least I'm doing what needs to be done here in case I have it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think I have the virus. Tonight at around 7 PM I started to feel odd in the chest. I immediately typed up a list of the medications I am on because the computer I used for years was destroyed by malware and I wanted to be able to give the list of my meds to anyone if I was too sick to reproduce it.

In the past few days I have been doing laundry and sanitizing as much as possible every day as if I knew I might fall apart. But maybe that's just part of the same panic that drives us to hoard. We try to get ready before it hits.

I may just be having a hysterical reaction. All I do all day is read about and watch television about the coronavirus. But at least I'm doing what needs to be done here in case I have it.

I hope you are just tired or feeling the anxiety we all have right now. Hang in there! Sending you lots of healthy dust.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trumps use of the term “China virus” is seriously irking me. I’m Chinese. Im a doctor. Please stop making it harder for me to do my job.

I have definitely noticed people looking and scowling at me more. If I get assaulted and can’t go to work due to other humans being horrible I will be so so mad.
@MakingTheGrade It made me so mad too and I’m not Chinese...The people that are scowling and staring are ignorant. You know who you are....a dedicated doctor who knows the risks you face....but still go into work every day....Thank you...Big hugs

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I hope it’s just nerves....I hope you wake up feeling better tomorrow..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results