shape
carat
color
clarity

Could a jeweler recreate a Van Cleef Couture Solitaire ring?

charlie1984

Rough_Rock
Hi! I love Van Cleef's "Couture Solitaire" ring, but their price is so high, especially given the size of the diamond (1 carat). Do you think a good jeweler (who??) could recreate the ring, or is the design too complicated? I'm worried that a jeweler other than Van Cleef might not be able to get the delicate proportions and angles right... I would love some insight from all you experts on this forum!

This is the link to the ring on VC's website: http://www.vancleefarpels.com/us/en/product/VCARD36100/couture-solitaire

Hope to hear from you!!!

_16318.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Could a jeweler recreate a Van Cleef Couture Solitaire r

I've tried on the Couture & thought it was wonderful. A bit of clarification: the current $7950 price shown for the Couture is for just the platinum mounting; the price does not include a 1 carat diamond, or a center stone of any size.

Since1910's Pave Loop is somewhat similar, and the closest I found via Google. The base price (for the mounting itself, no center stone) in platinum is $2001, they also offer it in 14K ($1089) and 18K ($1246) white gold.
http://www.since1910.com/us3004-pave-loop-diamond-engagement-ring

If the Pave Loop appeals to you, you will need to purchase the center diamond via Since1910 as well; they will not sell the mounting alone or accept a stone you send & set it in the mounting (they're not the only ones with this policy). I have no first-hand experience with Since1910, but comments here and Yelp reviews suggest they are worth considering. They don't have most of the 22,000+ diamonds listed actually in hand, but in my quick scroll through the inventory pages, it looks as if all have GIA or AGS lab reports that you can view.

If you share your target budget, etc., that will make it easier for others to offer more particularized suggestions-recommendations for you. (although you can certainly hope for "inspired by", don't be surprised if a recommended jeweler/metalsmith declines to provide a true replica; no reputable jeweler or bench with integrity imo will seek to actually duplicate the Couture)

charlie1984

Rough_Rock

Hi, thank you so much for the information!! I really appreciate all the information I can get!

The VCA Couture with a 1 ct diamond costs approx. $45k, and a .7 ct diamond version would cost approx. $26k. As an example, a .7 ct diamond alone purchased online probably costs under $5k, so paying so much more partially because of the brand name is painful! Theoretically I could probably swing the price of the 1 ct, but it seems crazy to pay so much for such a small stone. Ideally I'd like the ring set with a 1 to 2 ct high quality diamond center stone, and would prefer to spend an amount closer to $35k though I have some room to go up.

Unfortunately the Since1910 version does not appeal to me at all - it does not have the beautiful delicate workmanship of the Van Cleef. It illustrates my fear of going with anyone other than VCA. Do you think any jeweler could make a custom setting anywhere near the VCA level of quality?

For reference:

VCA Couture

Since1910 Version

Thanks again to anyone who anyone who replies!!

_16332.jpg

_16333.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ventine|1396107401|3643411 said:
Hi, thank you so much for the information!! I really appreciate all the information I can get!

The VCA Couture with a 1 ct diamond costs approx. $45k, and a .7 ct diamond version would cost approx. $26k. As an example, a .7 ct diamond alone purchased online probably costs under $5k, so paying so much more partially because of the brand name is painful! Theoretically I could probably swing the price of the 1 ct, but it seems crazy to pay so much for such a small stone. Ideally I'd like the ring set with a 1 to 2 ct high quality diamond center stone, and would prefer to spend an amount closer to $35k though I have some room to go up.

Unfortunately the Since1910 version does not appeal to me at all - it does not have the beautiful delicate workmanship of the Van Cleef. It illustrates my fear of going with anyone other than VCA. Do you think any jeweler could make a custom setting anywhere near the VCA level of quality?

For reference:

VCA Couture

Since1910 Version

Thanks again to anyone who anyone who replies!!

This is an EXCELLENT example of getting what you pay for. In the top picture you show a top quality piece, in the bottom, not so much.

I believe there are several jewelers both on this forum and most likely in your home town who could make you an item similar to the top picture, all of whom would cost more than the bottom picture and some who may approach the cost of the top item but I suspect most could do it for much less than the top picture.

I think the piece is quite beautiful, and not one that I have seen before, so although the individual elements are not unique, it is possible that the actual design of the ring is copyrighted and should not be copied exactly. This is always an issue when making a ring. Some designs are made by dozens, if not hundreds of manufacturers and thus are lacking any enforceable copyright and others are unique and still under copyright and should not be copied. Perhaps one of our lawyer members would chime in about copyright and what does and does not constitute infringment.

Wink

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Since1910 Pave Loop is indeed far below the exquisite Couture in design & execution. But I couldn't tell from your 1st post that you already knew $7950 is the base price for the mounting & that your "the price is so high" comment was because of price quotations you had already received from VC & A (I anticipated paying a premium, but still, the total prices were, um, eye-opening :shock: ). I feared you were seeking a complete, Couture-like ring for less than 8 grand. So it's great that you gave us a much more concrete idea of what you are able and willing to spend.

Have you & your FF seen a 1-carat Couture on her hand? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking a 2-carat one would be too large, given the attendant expansion of the mounting overall. But of course YMMV, you two may want more bling-greater finger coverage than is my preference.
l
Are you willing to work with someone who is not in the vicinity of where you live or do you have a strong preference for someone who is local; any strong preference for/against CAD-cast; are you thinking of platinum or gold (some "benches" will only work with one or the other)?

* For anyone who'd like a better idea than VC & A's web page provides of what a Couture looks like in real life, there's a video posted on YouTube that shows one set with a .70 ct center stone on a woman's hand (not sure if it's OK for me to post the link here).

charlie1984

Rough_Rock

Hi again! Yes, I have seen the 1 ct ring on her hand and it looks beautiful. She has rather big hands/long fingers and wears around a size 6.5 or 7, and she likes a slightly chunky/substantial look, so I think the ring would likely look nice with a 1.25-1.5 ct center stone. You are right that a 2 ct would likely be too much.

I'm comfortable paying a premium for fine workmanship, but I get the sense that VCA's prices drastically inflate the value of their center diamond. So my thinking was that a great jeweler could create a very similar and hopefully equally beautiful ring, but with a diamond that is priced closer to market value. What I don't know is whether a jeweler could match the workmanship. I assume that VCA put a heck of a lot of time and effort into perfecting its proportions, angles and details, whereas a regular jeweler may not have the capacity (time or skill or manpower) to work out the design just for me to such a high standard.

As for CAD, I don't know much about the pros or cons but would guess that a handmade ring would look nicer?

I would prefer the ring be platinum. A Los Angeles or San Francisco based jeweler would be ideal...

Any other advice/recommendations/thoughts? Thanks again!!!

Reactions: RCP

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Email Victor and ask if he could make the ring for you and how much it will cost overall you get a bit of a discount if you purchase a centre diamond AND the setting from him and his Canera Ideal Hearts and Arrows Rounds that he is cutting from Canadian rough are pretty darn nice stones;

http://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/page/4

If you are on a tight budget try Engagement Rings Direct.

Llgg

Rough_Rock

Hi, have you got your ring made?
I have customized my ring 3 yrs ago for about 26k. It's 1.5ct F vs1. I love it so much!
I have compared with Tiffany & co. The diamond is better than Tiffany.
I had to say, custom your ring is a good choice!

_20314.jpg

_20315.jpg

_20316.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful piece! Have you considered finding one pre-loved? Sourcing a ring like this on the secondary market is a means of getting an authentic estate piece for a fraction of the cost. I would focus on dealers who carry signed pieces, and try to attend a show or two where you'd have a concentration of opportunities to find it. I know of one NYC dealer who has relationships with VCA, carries many of their pieces, and would be a good source as a first step. It will take time, but if you're fortunate, you'll get exactly what you want. If not, you can always go the custom route.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How I wish charlie had posted back to share the outcome of his quest! But for anyone else interested in a Couture -- size 6 -- I just came across this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Cleef-A...20129416?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3f3dd24288

There is no VCA certificate of authenticity or original sales receipt for the ring. But I'm seeing no reason to question the authenticity of the mounting; toolhaus confirms the vendor has excellent feedback; the vendor has a 14-day return policy; and the ring is priced at $2601 less than VCA's current, lowest price of $8400 for the mounting alone.

RCP

Rough_Rock
I'm in the same position as Charlie 1984's original post. Did anyone find out if a jeweler could re-create VCA's couture solitaire setting? Also want a center stone bigger than 1 carat and absolutely love the exquisiteness of the VCA couture setting, but seems overpriced for the center diamond.

RCP

Rough_Rock

Hi again! Yes, I have seen the 1 ct ring on her hand and it looks beautiful. She has rather big hands/long fingers and wears around a size 6.5 or 7, and she likes a slightly chunky/substantial look, so I think the ring would likely look nice with a 1.25-1.5 ct center stone. You are right that a 2 ct would likely be too much.

I'm comfortable paying a premium for fine workmanship, but I get the sense that VCA's prices drastically inflate the value of their center diamond. So my thinking was that a great jeweler could create a very similar and hopefully equally beautiful ring, but with a diamond that is priced closer to market value. What I don't know is whether a jeweler could match the workmanship. I assume that VCA put a heck of a lot of time and effort into perfecting its proportions, angles and details, whereas a regular jeweler may not have the capacity (time or skill or manpower) to work out the design just for me to such a high standard.

As for CAD, I don't know much about the pros or cons but would guess that a handmade ring would look nicer?

I would prefer the ring be platinum. A Los Angeles or San Francisco based jeweler would be ideal...

Any other advice/recommendations/thoughts? Thanks again!!!
Just checking if there is any update on what happened with the OP. Thanks!

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in the same position as Charlie 1984's original post. Did anyone find out if a jeweler could re-create VCA's couture solitaire setting? Also want a center stone bigger than 1 carat and absolutely love the exquisiteness of the VCA couture setting, but seems overpriced for the center diamond.

I suggest reaching out to Maytal Hannah. I actually asked her about making a similar ring to reset my original engagement stone, but ended up having her make me a pave pendant instead. I'm sure she could do a beautiful job. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...pendant-by-maytal-hannah-e-ring-reset.249418/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results