shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco versus Roberto Coin for Diamond Melee

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Hoops and studs! You really can't go wrong, they can go from the gym to the black tie. I'd love a pair of diamond hoops one day too.

I've been following this thread with great interest.

Yes, yes and yes!

(I think we have a lot in common Collier! ;)2)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@athenaworth has a pair from Costco and they look great to me. Tagging her so she can comment!

Thank you for the tag! I do have a pair of Costco inside out hoops and I absolutely love them. I've louped them and they truly are VS clarity (and fairly well cut from what I can tell). I'd say they're worth getting a membership for.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
I echo the votes for Roberto Coin over Costco. My everyday earrings are a pair of RC Diamonds by Inch dangle earrings. Last year I bought a pair of 15mm pre-loved RC inside out hoops (with F-G color diamonds so they were icy white) and had Wink at HPD look at them. He said all the diamonds were excellent cut (with the exception of one diamond at the bottom of one hoop's inside part that was more good than excellent.) I actually could not find this one diamond using my loupe. I feel the craftsmanship and polishing of RC pieces is superb and superior to Costco. I also like that Roberto Coin uses 18kt over 14kt gold because I have a nickel allergy that doesn't seem aggravated by 18kt gold, especially if the pieces are made in Europe as the EU restricts the amount of nickel alloy used in gold jewelry.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @RunningwithScissors, nothing to contribute on your main question but you may want to check Groupon if you decide to do a Costco membership. We caught a deal where I paid $50 on the membership but got $100 in coupons and gift cards, so they paid me to join.

I’ve bought some other stuff from there and it’s been decent quality. I refuse to go in-store not because of COVID (we too are mask free) but due to the fact the place is bloody packed to the gills with people, and I’m not the most patient person. Consequently, they ship nearly everything.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Hey @RunningwithScissors, nothing to contribute on your main question but you may want to check Groupon if you decide to do a Costco membership. We caught a deal where I paid $50 on the membership but got $100 in coupons and gift cards, so they paid me to join.

I’ve bought some other stuff from there and it’s been decent quality. I refuse to go in-store not because of COVID (we too are mask free) but due to the fact the place is bloody packed to the gills with people, and I’m not the most patient person. Consequently, they ship nearly everything.

Great recommendation, thanks Sledge!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
If you can get some Costco gift cards, you should be able to use them without a membership (not sure about online, my friend used hers in a store). Costco is also amazing for everything, so perhaps this is the gateway for you!

I am not familiar with RC, but I generally prefer new things especially earrings given health and safety. I have some Costco diamond jewelry, and have enjoyed them and they are sparkly. The lighting in the store does make them look incredible (similar to a jewelry store), so do keep in mind if shopping in person, they are probably sparkliest in the store. Costco has an amazing return policy too, but diamonds sometimes may take a bit longer since they test each stone.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
If you can get some Costco gift cards, you should be able to use them without a membership (not sure about online, my friend used hers in a store). Costco is also amazing for everything, so perhaps this is the gateway for you!

I am not familiar with RC, but I generally prefer new things especially earrings given health and safety. I have some Costco diamond jewelry, and have enjoyed them and they are sparkly. The lighting in the store does make them look incredible (similar to a jewelry store), so do keep in mind if shopping in person, they are probably sparkliest in the store. Costco has an amazing return policy too, but diamonds sometimes may take a bit longer since they test each stone.

Good information, thank you!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I have 6 pieces of RC tiny treasures line. So I can attest that their melee is really well cut pieces.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to collect RC tiny treasure pendants. I think at one point I had 20 of them. I sold off a majority of them and I currently have 6 or 7 left.
From a melee standpoint I thought the diamonds were bright and sparkly but the clarity wasn’t that great. There was one time where I purchased a pendant and one of the diamonds had a large visible black inclusion. The diamonds are tiny so it just looked like a black spot or missing diamond, amongst the melee. Actually I think I posted a thread on it bc I couldn’t decide if I should keep it or exchange it but the only other one they had in stock had a cracked or chipped diamond (I think- I know there was something wrong with it as well).
So, I would definitely purchase from a company where I could exchange or return if needed.
I would definitely bring a loupe!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to update- I looked around for a while and bought a 1.75 TCW pair (H/VS) DE0A9E74-1D43-4178-80B1-36C3525510F7.jpeg 6179D141-DE7C-41FE-BB36-71A5DCCC3CE1.jpeg 1C607342-6D13-4543-A63B-EB79780E4C7B.jpeg from Blue Nile during a recent sale event. I went a bit smaller in diameter than I originally thought but I love them! Very wearable! Apologies for the not-great photos, I promise they look good in person.

Alexandra Nova

Rough_Rock
Whose melee is better cut and has more sparkle? Has anyone ever compared Costco and Robert Coin diamond melee side by side?

I'd like to purchase a pair of diamond inside-out hoops. I'm not looking for top quality, because I see these as a fashion accessory and not a cherished, heirloom jewelry piece. But I'd still like them to sparkle!

I have tried on Roberto Coin earrings in person and they are really fun, sparkle well enough, and I can live with the amount of warmth in the diamonds. The earrings appear frequently on pre-loved websites, and there they end up being the same price as new Costco hoops.

I've never seen Costco hoops in person. However, they seem quite nice from the photos and reviews here on PS. The only difference I believe is they use slightly warmer melee than the Roberto Coin. (And I'd rather go cooler if possible.)

But what I'd like to know is, how does the cut quality of the two compare? Does anyone know?

I'm not comfortable going into a mega store like Costco right now, especially here in TX where a lot of people are being naughty and not wearing their masks!

And I don't want to buy and return the Costco hoops, because I don't want to sign up for a membership unless I'm sure I'm going to buy their earrings.

So I'm turning to the PS pro-sumers for your opinions! All thoughts welcome!

I would go with Roberto Coin! It's designer, higher quality materials and craftsmanship. Recognizable brand and look!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to update- I looked around for a while and bought a 1.75 TCW pair (H/VS) DE0A9E74-1D43-4178-80B1-36C3525510F7.jpeg 6179D141-DE7C-41FE-BB36-71A5DCCC3CE1.jpeg 1C607342-6D13-4543-A63B-EB79780E4C7B.jpeg from Blue Nile during a recent sale event. I went a bit smaller in diameter than I originally thought but I love them! Very wearable! Apologies for the not-great photos, I promise they look good in person.

Gorgeous! I actually love that size better. What’s the diameter of the hoops? This is almost exactly what I want for myself!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

Oh these are gorgeous! And a very versatile size too.

How many diamonds are there? (or rather how many points are each one?) The earrings have nice presence!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Oh these are gorgeous! And a very versatile size too.

How many diamonds are there? (or rather how many points are each one?) The earrings have nice presence!

Each earring has 13 diamonds for 26 total. So about 6-7 points each range when I work the math (1.75 total carats).

Thank you for the compliment! I wanted something with presence as you said but not too heavy/large :) and I will be honest I was also looking for balancing quality with price so I can continue to save for some long term wishlist items!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Each earring has 13 diamonds for 26 total. So about 6-7 points each range when I work the math (1.75 total carats).

Thank you for the compliment! I wanted something with presence as you said but not too heavy/large :) and I will be honest I was also looking for balancing quality with price so I can continue to save for some long term wishlist items!

They are lovely, so I think you got it right!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I saw the 1.97 ctw RC diamond hoop earrings today. They were gorgeous!!!

cheers--Sharon

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I have no experience with Costco, but I like Roberto Coin and Crivelli (sparkling G/SI diamonds)

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
If I lived in the USA, I ' d go with Whiteflash.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Helpful tip, you can buy a Costco membership and then cancel it later for a full refund--even after making purchases.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results