shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco versus Roberto Coin for Diamond Melee

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Whose melee is better cut and has more sparkle? Has anyone ever compared Costco and Robert Coin diamond melee side by side?

I'd like to purchase a pair of diamond inside-out hoops. I'm not looking for top quality, because I see these as a fashion accessory and not a cherished, heirloom jewelry piece. But I'd still like them to sparkle!

I have tried on Roberto Coin earrings in person and they are really fun, sparkle well enough, and I can live with the amount of warmth in the diamonds. The earrings appear frequently on pre-loved websites, and there they end up being the same price as new Costco hoops.

I've never seen Costco hoops in person. However, they seem quite nice from the photos and reviews here on PS. The only difference I believe is they use slightly warmer melee than the Roberto Coin. (And I'd rather go cooler if possible.)

But what I'd like to know is, how does the cut quality of the two compare? Does anyone know?

I'm not comfortable going into a mega store like Costco right now, especially here in TX where a lot of people are being naughty and not wearing their masks!

And I don't want to buy and return the Costco hoops, because I don't want to sign up for a membership unless I'm sure I'm going to buy their earrings.

So I'm turning to the PS pro-sumers for your opinions! All thoughts welcome!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Following- I’d love to hear which set you go with, I’m interested in something similar!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I guess if I were choosing one, I'd choose RC just because it is a designer brand and they use 18k gold and from the pieces I have seen, the diamonds look white and sparkly. I have a few pieces of RC (not with larger stones, though) and feel they are nice quality.

Also, there are places that give a discount on RC, but you have to call and ask the price. I have bought both new/discounted and like-new/second hand RC.

This one has 15% off retail a lot of the time for in stock jewelry pieces. Some designers are excluded and RC is one according to the fine print. But I am advising that you call for pricing. I did buy a RC diamond pendant here for a daughter, so I know it's a good idea to call.

Last edited:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Whose melee is better cut and has more sparkle? Has anyone ever compared Costco and Robert Coin diamond melee side by side?

I'd like to purchase a pair of diamond inside-out hoops. I'm not looking for top quality, because I see these as a fashion accessory and not a cherished, heirloom jewelry piece. But I'd still like them to sparkle!

I have tried on Roberto Coin earrings in person and they are really fun, sparkle well enough, and I can live with the amount of warmth in the diamonds. The earrings appear frequently on pre-loved websites, and there they end up being the same price as new Costco hoops.

I've never seen Costco hoops in person. However, they seem quite nice from the photos and reviews here on PS. The only difference I believe is they use slightly warmer melee than the Roberto Coin. (And I'd rather go cooler if possible.)

But what I'd like to know is, how does the cut quality of the two compare? Does anyone know?

I'm not comfortable going into a mega store like Costco right now, especially here in TX where a lot of people are being naughty and not wearing their masks!

And I don't want to buy and return the Costco hoops, because I don't want to sign up for a membership unless I'm sure I'm going to buy their earrings.

So I'm turning to the PS pro-sumers for your opinions! All thoughts welcome!

@athenaworth has a pair from Costco and they look great to me. Tagging her so she can comment!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will add that I see some of the Costco ones are I color and at least one pair is G color. So that is encouraging! The prices are very good. I'd check recent reviews on any pair you are interested in, because in the past, there were some complaints on them not clasping securely. Hopefully they fixed that.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Well, I guess if I were choosing one, I'd choose RC just because it is a designer brand and they use 18k gold and from the pieces I have seen, the diamonds look white and sparkly. I have a few pieces of RC (not with larger stones, though) and feel they are nice quality.

Also, there are places that give a discount on RC, but you have to call and ask the price. I have bought both new/discounted and like-new/second hand RC.

This one has 15% off retail a lot of the time for in stock jewelry pieces. Some designers are excluded and RC is one according to the fine print. But I am advising that you call for pricing. I did buy a RC diamond pendant here for a daughter, so I know it's a good idea to call.

Thanks Diamondseeker! Good tip about asking the price and seeing if a store will discount.

Yes, I agree the RC hoops I've tried on sparkle nicely (not quite as sparkly as ACA melee of course, but very good nonetheless.)

My instincts say RC will be higher quality workmanship, but I would love to take a look at the Costco ones just to see.

Have the settings of your RC pieces held up well over time?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@athenaworth has a pair from Costco and they look great to me. Tagging her so she can comment!

Yes, the hoops I've seen on the Show Me Your Costco Diamonds thread all look really nice. I've seen several I like a lot! @bling_dream19 has a lovely pair of oval hoops if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a friend/relative/co-worker with a membership? I have gone in the store with my BFF who has a membership. I didn't purchase anything, just 'looked'.

Hi NewBeginning!

Once the pandemic dies down a bit I will see what I can do. Right now I don't want to go into a large, crowded store like Costco.

Hmmmm...I don't honestly know which of my friends have memberships. I'm going to have to start asking around I guess! Set up a post-pandemic ladies outing to Costco!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Following- I’d love to hear which set you go with, I’m interested in something similar!

Its fun to have similar projects!

Do you have an idea of the size you want?

Would love to hear what you are thinking for yours.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Its fun to have similar projects!

Do you have an idea of the size you want?

Would love to hear what you are thinking for yours.

Torn between a smaller one inch ish diameter and something thinner with a larger diameter. I have a pair of CZ inside out hoops I picked up at banana republic years ago that I wore a ton until one bent out of shape and wasn’t really fixable :lol: if I can find something like them but well made I know I’d wear them a ton!

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just my 2 cents! Howdy y’all! I live in Texas tooooo and y’all know here in Texas, it’s either go big or go home! Same for diamonds! Back to the question at hand. Ok I apologize but i disagree about inside out hoops not being an heirloom. I hope I’m wrong because over the summer, I had custom made inside out hoops, each diamond was .30 carats, PS quality, and it cost me a purdy penny! I had hoped to pass them on to my 9 year old daughter one day. I figured hoops will always be in style. If I’m wrong, crap. That was some hard earned money down the drain! As for Costco vs Roberto, ok I have both. I just got my hands on some Roberto coin jewelry pieces with diamonds and I have costco pieces with diamonds and side by side, Roberto for the win. The quality and craftsmanship is on a completely different level. Even if you have to reduce your diamond size (I can’t believe I’m saying this!), I would still go with Roberto. By the way, Saks has their semi annual Friends and Family sale. I think the next one is coming up in May and Roberto Coin is included in that sale. It should be 25% off so you would save money!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I have to second the RC recommendation. I have a set I wear 80 of the time and Ive had the pieces for at least 12 years. This set only has one diamond in a pendant, but it is whiter than Costco diamonds.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Just my 2 cents! Howdy y’all! I live in Texas tooooo and y’all know here in Texas, it’s either go big or go home! Same for diamonds! Back to the question at hand. Ok I apologize but i disagree about inside out hoops not being an heirloom. I hope I’m wrong because over the summer, I had custom made inside out hoops, each diamond was .30 carats, PS quality, and it cost me a purdy penny! I had hoped to pass them on to my 9 year old daughter one day. I figured hoops will always be in style. If I’m wrong, crap. That was some hard earned money down the drain! As for Costco vs Roberto, ok I have both. I just got my hands on some Roberto coin jewelry pieces with diamonds and I have costco pieces with diamonds and side by side, Roberto for the win. The quality and craftsmanship is on a completely different level. Even if you have to reduce your diamond size (I can’t believe I’m saying this!), I would still go with Roberto. By the way, Saks has their semi annual Friends and Family sale. I think the next one is coming up in May and Roberto Coin is included in that sale. It should be 25% off so you would save money!

:wavey: Thank BlingBlingLova

Just to clarify, I never said hoops in general can't be heirlooms. I'm sure your Pricescope quality earrings are heirlooms! And your daughter will enjoy wearing them someday.

It is just the for this particular project of mine, I am not looking for heirloom-quality. I just want "fun" earrings (but that still contain natural diamonds.)

That's why I'm considering pre-loved RC and Costco.

I appreciate your thoughts on how RC and Costco compare.

Can you see a difference is how the diamonds sparkle between your RC and Costco jewelry? Or is the quality difference more about the settings being sturdier in the RC? (The workmanship in the metal parts?)

Thanks!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have to second the RC recommendation. I have a set I wear 80 of the time and Ive had the pieces for at least 12 years. This set only has one diamond in a pendant, but it is whiter than Costco diamonds.

12 years is a good long time! Can't beat that!

Yes, I think I'd definitely see a difference in the color of the diamonds because I'm super color sensitive.

Thanks!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Torn between a smaller one inch ish diameter and something thinner with a larger diameter. I have a pair of CZ inside out hoops I picked up at banana republic years ago that I wore a ton until one bent out of shape and wasn’t really fixable :lol: if I can find something like them but well made I know I’d wear them a ton!

I totally understand! I've had that happen too!

Its funny how sometimes we find a piece of costume jewelry that hits the target exactly. And when we're ready to buy a similar "real" piece of jewelry, we can't find one whose style we like as much!

WF seems like they do a good job with custom orders. Could you ask if they would replicate your Banana Republic hoops? Gosh could you image how awesome they'd look with ACA melee?!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I tried on a RC DBTY style necklace and the diamonds were gorgeous! That said, the diamonds in my RC earrings are of mediocre cut as they don't sparkle very much. I've often though about replacing the small diamonds, b/c I love the style of the earrings so much.

cheers--Sharon

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Thank BlingBlingLova

Just to clarify, I never said hoops in general can't be heirlooms. I'm sure your Pricescope quality earrings are heirlooms! And your daughter will enjoy wearing them someday.

It is just the for this particular project of mine, I am not looking for heirloom-quality. I just want "fun" earrings (but that still contain natural diamonds.)

That's why I'm considering pre-loved RC and Costco.

I appreciate your thoughts on how RC and Costco compare.

Can you see a difference is how the diamonds sparkle between your RC and Costco jewelry? Or is the quality difference more about the settings being sturdier in the RC? (The workmanship in the metal parts?)

Thanks!

I completely know where you are coming from! Back to your question, to my eyes, the RC diamonds sparkle more than my Costco diamonds.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand! I've had that happen too!

Its funny how sometimes we find a piece of costume jewelry that hits the target exactly. And when we're ready to buy a similar "real" piece of jewelry, we can't find one whose style we like as much!

WF seems like they do a good job with custom orders. Could you ask if they would replicate your Banana Republic hoops? Gosh could you image how awesome they'd look with ACA melee?!!

I may end up going that way! I keep looking for something similar and nothing is quite close enough.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
This is a fun project! I have a pair of inside out hoops and love them. I love hoops in general and also have a plain gold pair and white gold pair.
Although I love my pave style inside out hoops I’d love a thinner style and not pave to add to my collection. Not sure if what I’m saying is making sense without photos. Haha

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
These actually come pretty close to my well loved fashion pair in style and width. But the diamond quality is not great for this specific item so I was disappointed.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
This is a fun project! I have a pair of inside out hoops and love them. I love hoops in general and also have a plain gold pair and white gold pair.
Although I love my pave style inside out hoops I’d love a thinner style and not pave to add to my collection. Not sure if what I’m saying is making sense without photos. Haha

Aren't hoops awesome?! They really go with everything. I pretty much only wear studs and hoops and it is nice to go back and forth between them.

So do you want new ones without diamonds, or with a different type of pave? Have any pics of the ones you are crushing on?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
These actually come pretty close to my well loved fashion pair in style and width. But the diamond quality is not great for this specific item so I was disappointed.

Did you buy and return the Blue Nile ones?

Cartier has some larger, thin (narrow), diamond hoops that are amazing. But of course they are waaaaaaay more expensive! (Sadly they are outside of my price point!)

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Did you buy and return the Blue Nile ones?

Cartier has some larger, thin (narrow), diamond hoops that are amazing. But of course they are waaaaaaay more expensive! (Sadly they are outside of my price point!)

I held off on buying them based on the description of the melee- might be worth ordering to get a look, but I have been looking around seeing if there is something similar but higher quality. I’d like to hit the 2k ish or less mark.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought Costco huggies and returned them because too much metal for my taste. Never bought their real hoops.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Aren't hoops awesome?! They really go with everything. I pretty much only wear studs and hoops and it is nice to go back and forth between them.

So do you want new ones without diamonds, or with a different type of pave? Have any pics of the ones you are crushing on?

I realized I didn’t explain myself clearly. For my next hoops I still want the in and out style with pave, but with one row of pave. So one thin line of diamonds across exactly like the ones @FL_runner posted.

My currently style is beautiful and very blingy but sometimes I feel they are more for nice evenings out. Oh how I miss those...

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I realized I didn’t explain myself clearly. For my next hoops I still want the in and out style with pave, but with one row of pave. So one thin line of diamonds across exactly like the ones @FL_runner posted.

My currently style is beautiful and very blingy but sometimes I feel they are more for nice evenings out. Oh how I miss those...
I totally understand- I am interested in something more casual in style but better quality than “fashion” jewelry from the mall!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I've never owned any RC diamonds. I do have a pair of the Costco hoops (from about 5 years ago, so my particular set is not listed anymore). To my eye, the diamonds are plenty sparkly. I do think the prongs are a bit more prominent than I would like. Overall they are a good value (my pair is 1.45 ctw with 5 stones per hoop) but on close inspection I can tell that they aren't perfectly crafted.

collier

Shiny_Rock
Hoops and studs! You really can't go wrong, they can go from the gym to the black tie. I'd love a pair of diamond hoops one day too.

I've been following this thread with great interest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results