shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco 2ctw 5 Stone Ring Surprise and Delight! - Size 5

chere

Shiny_Rock
It’s been a crazy week. I was really upset that my BGD 5 stone ring missed my birthday over the weekend and my fear that it would miss the holidays was actually playing out when I saw the CADs earlier this week. I bought a 5 stone ring from Costco as my plan B since there was a sale. Costco’s I color VS2 or better wasn’t that far off from the BGD H VS1 stones right? And if I didn’t like it, I could return it directly to any Costco warehouse.

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I opened the package. The stone tint was comparable or whiter than my F solitaire. The top 3 stones were lively and the 2 end stones were nice but meh. They are eye clean. I’m not good with my loupe but I couldn’t see anything. I got out my calipers they are slightly graduated at 4.7mm, 4.62mm, 4.5mm. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me since it was late and the indoor lighting makes my F solitaire look warm and cloudy.

The next morning on the drive into the city with the DH, I kept telling him there’s no way there’s are Es. They are icy white. I dropped the ring off to get appraised and I was shocked and happily thrilled they graded the stones as E/F, Good to Very Good, VVS1-VS1, 1.9ctw (size 5).

I think this was a deal for $5,000CAD / $4,000USD after the $1,500 CAD / $1,000 USD sale. The DH even suggested I should buy a few more rings to see what I get and keep the ring I like. :lol-2:

I think this process has been a blessing in disguise and it has helped confirm what I like. I know I’m color sensitive. I was hoping I wouldn’t be bothered by H color since they were super ideals. But I now think tint bothers me more than the cut. I can see the stones are not perfectly symmetrical and the crown heights are not even but only when I look close. They sparkle plenty and I see icy white stones from the corner of my eye when I move my hands.

These are not the super ideals or the setting I wanted but they certainly will do for now!

BTW, Costco’s return policy is still valid if you resize the ring within the limit listed in the product details. I noticed some rings can be sized 1 up or down and others say they cannot be resized. And you need to get the setting inspected every 6 months. https://www.costco.com/jewelry-buying-guide-faq.html

Costco ring.jpg Costco ring angle.jpg Costco Ring with ER 1.jpg Costco ring with ER angle.jpg

Last edited:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's beautiful, and looks gorgeous on you, but... 4000 USD is still a lot to pay for something that isn't the stones and setting you want. Don't settle just to have something sooner - wait and get what you really want IMO. Unless I've misunderstood your post...?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Costco diamond have always been fantastic deals for me too. No regrets here either! Congrats on your new ring! It looks beautiful!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @MillieLou . It does look pretty but I'm not sure I understand. I would much rather have super ideals and the setting that I thought I wanted (side rails). I know it's hard to have patience but anytime you are going custom you really have to be willing to be patient... It's usually worth the wait.

So what are the plans from here? Are you keeping this one? Don't keep it unless you think you can be happy with it in the long run
(Or you have extra $ to throw away). No judging on my part. You've got to do what's right for you.

It does look really nice on you.

chere

Shiny_Rock
@MillieLou @tyty333 You’re both right. I normally would tell myself to wait it out. But at the moment, there’s no inventory for what I want; 4.6mm, G or better. And I don't know how long I will need to wait.

A big part of me needs this right now. I earned a promotion at work and it took me a months to decide what I wanted off my wish list. The DH and I also celebrated our 10 year anniversary. I told him when we were designing our wedding bands I would wait for the 5 stone ring on our 10th year. We’re not traveling or doing anything fun this year. I wanted to treat myself with something nice that reminds me every day why I work 60+ hour weeks.

With the BDG ring, I was expecting to lose/spend a couple thousand more to redo the setting for bigger/higher color stones since the stones were 4.44mm H color plus the cost of the trade up. I’ve lined up my sister as my future buyer for this ring so I won’t take a loss on this if I sell.

I'm happy with the wearing this ring while I take my time searching for super ideal stones. And when I find them, I don't need to rush the design process and I can wait until I have a slow period at work. I kind of like the flexibility this gives.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
It's a beautiful ring, Costco has great jewelry at amazing values! If you are going for super ideal and don't want to wait for BGD, what about trying some of the other PS vendors like Whiteflash?

Last edited:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
@MillieLou @tyty333 You’re both right. I normally would tell myself to wait it out. But at the moment, there’s no inventory for what I want; 4.6mm, G or better. And I don't know how long I will need to wait.

A big part of me needs this right now. I earned a promotion at work and it took me a months to decide what I wanted off my wish list. The DH and I also celebrated our 10 year anniversary. I told him when we were designing our wedding bands I would wait for the 5 stone ring on our 10th year. We’re not traveling or doing anything fun this year. I wanted to treat myself with something nice that reminds me every day why I work 60+ hour weeks.

With the BDG ring, I was expecting to lose/spend a couple thousand more to redo the setting for bigger/higher color stones since the stones were 4.44mm H color plus the cost of the trade up. I’ve lined up my sister as my future buyer for this ring so I won’t take a loss on this if I sell.

I'm happy with the wearing this ring while I take my time searching for super ideal stones. And when I find them, I don't need to rush the design process and I can wait until I have a slow period at work. I kind of like the flexibility this gives.

That makes total sense :) Enjoy your beautiful ring - it sounds like you have more than earned it!

Bella4135

Rough_Rock
It's so pretty! I just ordered the eternity garland ring from Costco! Their diamonds are a great value!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think Costco has beautiful diamonds and you can’t beat their return policy. I just returned a piece that I had for over one year and they accepted it with no questions.

Minka

Rough_Rock
Beautiful! Can I ask what size fingers you have? I’m in the process of ordering a 2ctw 5 stone ring and am trying to decide between that and a 2.5cts for my size 7 fingers. This looks HUGE on your finger, but when I tried the 2ct on mine it seems small.

Am I being crazy? Please advise and thank you. Enjoy your ring!

BTW—
I’ve been looking on WF for my stones as well but what do you thin about IDJewelry? They seem to have amazing prices and another PS member found a beautiful 5 stone ring there. They have some nice ones.

chere

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! Can I ask what size fingers you have? I’m in the process of ordering a 2ctw 5 stone ring and am trying to decide between that and a 2.5cts for my size 7 fingers. This looks HUGE on your finger, but when I tried the 2ct on mine it seems small.

Am I being crazy? Please advise and thank you. Enjoy your ring!

BTW—
I’ve been looking on WF for my stones as well but what do you thin about IDJewelry? They seem to have amazing prices and another PS member found a beautiful 5 stone ring there. They have some nice ones.
I don't think you're crazy at all. I tried on a 5 stone 1ctw ring that was set extremely low and it was perfect finger to finger coverage. But when I tried on a 1.25ctw 5 stone set a little higher, I could spin the ring and fit an extra stone in the gap. I think it depends on the setting.

My left hand is size 4.5 and the ring is a size 5. I will add sizing bead so it doesn't spin and I can wear it on my right hand which is a size 5. These stones are set with a small arch. Centre stone 4.44mm high, Middle stone 4.27mm and End stone 3.98mm high. I feel the top of the stones graze my palm when I do a hand washing motion. It's not uncomfortable. I have another ring that's 5mm high and it's too high for me.

I tried on a 2.1ctw in a size 7. The stones wrapped around my fingers a little too much but these were set really low (the height of the stone). I think you could do bigger stones on a size 7. Could you try on the 2ctw again and check there's any space between your fingers? Could the stones be set higher?

I would consider ID Jewelry if I could see the stones in person before buying it. It would be "final sale" for me. I'm Canadian and I don't want to deal with the return shipping/customs process if I didn't like it. I'm fine buying stones from a vendor with an upgrade policy. Upgrading is an option if I didn't like the stones in person.

IMG-20211015-WA0000.jpg

chere

Shiny_Rock
I’m in love with this ring. I’ve decided to name her Effy (F/E).

Effy has so much personality. She gave a beautiful show next to my sister’s 1.26ct E Flawless triple Ex. My sister and I agreed it was hard to tell the difference in cuts since there's 5 stones at work and it pairs well with a solitaire. I had a fun afternoon.

I love the icy white stones. I can't see the tint in different lighting. I see the tint in my F cushion all the time. It looks darker IRL (to me) than in pictures.

IMG-20211213-WA0010.jpg

Right hand Size 5 / Size 5 Ring

IMG-20211213-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20211213-WA0007.jpg

chere

Shiny_Rock
I made the mistake of taking my ring to a local jeweler who said they could do platinum work. I naively through sizing beads was easy repair. But how wrong I was. They soldered platinum beads with white gold and scratched up the ring with their buffing tools. My 2 week old ring had more patina than my engagement ring that was last polished 7 years ago. I would have lived with it if it wasn’t for the nickel allergy reaction I got from the solder.

This set me off on a mission to find a local bench with a great platinumsmith and laser machine to get it done right.

I found Chris at Platinum Unlimited in Toronto. His team did a great job restoring the high polish finish on my ring. And the sizing liner he calls a “pillow” is beautifully shaped and extremely comfortable. The liner nestles into the crease between my palm and finger and it stops the ring from spinning. But I can easily spin it around to dry my fingers or put on hand cream. I’m never going back to sizing beads.

And added bonus, I can wear the ring on both hands.

Platinum Unlimited Pillow.JPG Sizing Beads BDL.JPG

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I’m in love with this ring. I’ve decided to name her Effy (F/E).

Effy has so much personality. She gave a beautiful show next to my sister’s 1.26ct E Flawless triple Ex. My sister and I agreed it was hard to tell the difference in cuts since there's 5 stones at work and it pairs well with a solitaire. I had a fun afternoon.

I love the icy white stones. I can't see the tint in different lighting. I see the tint in my F cushion all the time. It looks darker IRL (to me) than in pictures.

IMG-20211213-WA0010.jpg

Right hand Size 5 / Size 5 Ring

IMG-20211213-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20211213-WA0007.jpg

I think the reason these stones look so white is because they are smaller than your solitaire. Smaller stones always look whiter.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I made the mistake of taking my ring to a local jeweler who said they could do platinum work. I naively through sizing beads was easy repair. But how wrong I was. They soldered platinum beads with white gold and scratched up the ring with their buffing tools. My 2 week old ring had more patina than my engagement ring that was last polished 7 years ago. I would have lived with it if it wasn’t for the nickel allergy reaction I got from the solder.

This set me off on a mission to find a local bench with a great platinumsmith and laser machine to get it done right.

I found Chris at Platinum Unlimited in Toronto. His team did a great job restoring the high polish finish on my ring. And the sizing liner he calls a “pillow” is beautifully shaped and extremely comfortable. The liner nestles into the crease between my palm and finger and it stops the ring from spinning. But I can easily spin it around to dry my fingers or put on hand cream. I’m never going back to sizing beads.

Looks amazing! I have also heard fantastic things about Atelier Dacko, for platinum work in Toronto. I went down a research hole myself when a local jeweller screwed up my platinum band.

chere

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @diamondyes! That’s very reassuring to hear from a PSer.

I met with Patrick Dacko and his partner Anna yesterday. They are an incredible team. I really liked the work and designs I saw in person. They tightened the prongs on Effy and let me watch from their workshop! Poor girl; she took a couple hard knocks within hours on my finger. I gave Patrick and Anna a mini review on the other thread for Toronto jewelers.

I’m getting quotes to set a pair of Lightbox stones into studs and to reset old pieces. I’m starting my birthday present very early this year so I get them by December.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @diamondyes! That’s very reassuring to hear from a PSer.

I met with Patrick Dacko and his partner Anna yesterday. They are an incredible team. I really liked the work and designs I saw in person. They tightened the prongs on Effy and let me watch from their workshop! Poor girl; she took a couple hard knocks within hours on my finger. I gave Patrick and Anna a mini review on the other thread for Toronto jewelers.

I’m getting quotes to set a pair of Lightbox stones into studs and to reset old pieces. I’m starting my birthday present very early this year so I get them by December.

Oh super!! I hope to meet them myself one day!

Sorry you hit a road bump. But glad it had a happy ending after all!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results