shape
carat
color
clarity

Any recommended Toronto (Canada) Jeweler to do a pendant reset?

Ellia

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I've been a long time lurker and I've tried to search but it seems like any recommendations were from years ago. I recently purchased a Lightbox 1ct pendant during their winter sale (https://lightboxjewelry.com/collections/sale/products/necklaces-1carat-octagon-pendant-white) but the setting seems more chunky and not as dainty as I expected so I'm considering doing a reset with a Stuller settings instead of a return (since the diamond would still be discounted then if I purchased something else). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a Jeweler either in Toronto (or GTA) that has been able order a Stuller setting and also set it?

Thanks in advance!

chere

Shiny_Rock
Me too! I bought the Lightbox Octagon rings to set as studs.

I’m meeting with Chris at Platinum Unlimited tomorrow. I called him directly to schedule an appointment 416-992-6244. They are located downtown now at 306 Sherbourne St. A PSer recommended them when they were in Richmond Hill.

I really like Patrick Dacko's portfolio. I am going to contact him next week when they re-open. https://atelierdacko.com/

I'll let you know how it goes.

Elise_k

Rough_Rock
I’ve recommended Leif Benner here before. He can be a little slow at times (during busy seasons), but I’ve always had good interactions for custom settings with him. I also like supporting a local independent jeweller/artist.

chere

Shiny_Rock
I really liked Chris. He’s very personable and seems easy to work with. My fingers are crossed that I can afford his quote which he’s aiming to get to me by Monday.

While we were chatting, he mentioned he does work for couple high end jewelers on Bay and Bloor. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to share the names of the jewelers but I have a platinum ring from one of these stores. The resizing and sizing beads work on my ring is immaculate. I hope he did the work on my ring and this is the quality I can expect to see in his work.

On side note, on my last visit to one of the stores he named, the sales associate said they didn’t make their wedding bands and it was outsourced. I suppose I found one of their suppliers.

klrrrr

Shiny_Rock
Hi! Fellow Torontonian here. I use Lilianne’s in Yorkville if you’re looking for the local touch. Her prices are good considering the location.

I also ADORE Kelty Pelechytik if you’re willing to work with someone in Edmonton. She’s used to shipping all over the country. Absolutely my fav person to work with to date.

Ellia

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback @chere ! I'll reach out to platinum unlimited and see if he can provide a quote. I reached out to Penwarden ( https://penwardenjewellery.com/ ) for a quote, her jewelry on her website looks amazing (her claws look really nice vs. some of the other websites were all blobby prongs lol) and so far they've been very responsive. I should receive a quote next week. Thank you for the tip @klrrrr & @Elise_k ! I will reach out to them for a quote too!

chere

Shiny_Rock
I stopped by the Mark Lash store on Leslie and 7 this afternoon. I just missed the rush and I enjoyed to a private viewing of their collection with Lori, their on-site geologist and the store manager. What a treat! I wish I had more time (and deeper pockets) to look at all their pieces. Their in-store collection is much more extensive than what they have posted on their website.

I didn’t bring in my jewelry or the Lightbox rings since we running errands today. They were open to resetting the Lightbox stones into studs and the geologist will inspect them when I bring them in.

Their 4 prong basket setting is exactly what I want. I got to try on a 2ctw pair. The prongs and rail under the griddle are very fine and the stone is set low. I could see a lot of the stone from the side and it sat flat on my ear.

Lori will get back to me with a quote next week. Fingers crossed it’s competitive. I’m now leaning towards using them for the studs since it’s an existing design for them. But I will go in again to closely look at their platinum pieces. I saw a lot of white gold pieces and I know they have a different in-house goldsmith and platinumsmith.

@Ellia I can't wait to hear how it goes with Penwarden!

chere

Shiny_Rock
The quote process is painfully slow... I'm still waiting.

I picked up my 5 stone ring that I had left with Chris at Platinum Unlimited yesterday. He did an excellent job restoring the ring to its original condition and the sizing beads / liner he calls a “pillow” is amazing and very well done. And I do mean Chris fully restored my ring. Not knowing any better, I took my ring to a local jeweler who said they could do platinum sizing beads and they made a mess. The craftsmanship is night and day. But I must have knocked the ring in just the right/wrong spot to loosen a prong after I got home.

Fortunately, I had my consult at Aterlier Dacko this morning. Patrick and Anna tightened the stones for me. They invited me into their workshop to watch. I found it fascinating. Patrick’s microscope is set up to a flat screen TV. It was like watching him perform a delicate surgical operation with high precision tools. While we were in the back, Patrick showed me some of his pieces through the microscope. His work is very detailed, neat and clean. I didn’t feel any sharp edges or uneven spots when I ran thumb over his pave rings, just the stones. The stone looked evenly spaced (zoomed in TV). Most of their pieces were platinum and they have a laser machine.

Like Chris, Patrick and Anna immediately understood the designs I wanted from the pictures I brought in. They could see my vision and they made great design suggestions. I like that Patrick and Anna are both hands on in the entire design and production process. And I would be working directly with the designer and bench.

Now I just need to wait for quotes.

I also want to mention, I took the Lightbox rings to Gemlab.ca, on Queen and Church, to check the color of the stones. I bought 3 and I want the 2 best matched. Shant, the gemologist took a quick look and said all 3 are E/F. I can’t recommend him enough. I call in advance and he always fit me in for a same day appraisal. They don’t sell jewelry and their appraisals are unbiased. I like to have him vet my online buys.

Platinum Unlimited Pillow.JPG
Sizing Beads BDL.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Fellow Torontonian here. I use Lilianne’s in Yorkville if you’re looking for the local touch. Her prices are good considering the location.

I also ADORE Kelty Pelechytik if you’re willing to work with someone in Edmonton. She’s used to shipping all over the country. Absolutely my fav person to work with to date.

PS is great for recommendations! Thank you @klrrrr for the KP connection--my family is always looking for fine benches there.

Sorry for the hijack.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, wondering if anyone can recommend a jeweller bench for simple work/repairs? I’m in Markham but go into the office in downtown Toronto once a week. My usual jeweller retired during the pandemic. I just need a couple of rings resized and converting one emerald in a ring into a pendant (basket/prong) setting. TIA!

chere

Shiny_Rock
Hello, wondering if anyone can recommend a jeweller bench for simple work/repairs? I’m in Markham but go into the office in downtown Toronto once a week. My usual jeweller retired during the pandemic. I just need a couple of rings resized and converting one emerald in a ring into a pendant (basket/prong) setting. TIA!

I've used Chris at Platinum Unlimited for a few repairs. It takes his bench about a week to do the repairs.

I recommend driving into the city and parking at the back of the building.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I've used Chris at Platinum Unlimited for a few repairs. It takes his bench about a week to do the repairs.

I recommend driving into the city and parking at the back of the building.

Thank you @chere . =)2 I’ll look him up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results