shape
carat
color
clarity

Coronavirus updates October 2020...please add yours too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in the US and from March until now I didn't know anyone outside of New York under the age of 65 who had covid. In the last 2 weeks though, my sister in law got it (40's) and was hospitalized requiring oxygen and a friend caught it (30's) and recovered at home. My daughter is still going to daycare and I do very much fear someone will bring it to school despite all the precautions. She was home from daycare with us from March to June and I really struggled with being a mom and employee at the same time. On the flip side, I have reactive airway disease, which means a covid infection would most likely require a trip to, if not admission to, the hospital.

I'm so sorry @susiegrneyes and wishing fo your sister in law and friend a speedy recovery. I hope you stay safe and well.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting article. So it seems as if hearing loss is also a potential side effect of Covid 19. Not the meds but a side effect of the disease.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in the US and from March until now I didn't know anyone outside of New York under the age of 65 who had covid. In the last 2 weeks though, my sister in law got it (40's) and was hospitalized requiring oxygen and a friend caught it (30's) and recovered at home. My daughter is still going to daycare and I do very much fear someone will bring it to school despite all the precautions. She was home from daycare with us from March to June and I really struggled with being a mom and employee at the same time. On the flip side, I have reactive airway disease, which means a covid infection would most likely require a trip to, if not admission to, the hospital.

@susiegrneyes I hope you and your family stay safe..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@Matata I read this just when I was debating wiping down my frozen Omaha steaks order today. I was going to throw it all in the freezer and just be careful before I cook it and wash my hands. I guess I’ll be wiping it all down again...sigh

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm struggling with the isolation. I'm struggling with a lot of other things too, but loneliness is the toughest one. I miss going out. I miss the gym. I miss restaurants. I miss seeing my friends. I miss having people over to the house. I miss being at other people's houses. I'm having a tough time getting motivated to get out of bed on the days where I'm not due to come into work. It's starting to feel like I'm in solitary confinement.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry you’re struggling so much @cmd2014. It’s definitely more bearable when you’ve got someone to talk to and be with. We’re able to meet friends and have friends come for dinner. We’ve restricted contact to just 2 couples, but it definitely does make life feel somewhat ‘normal’. The biggest issue for us is not being able to see our DS because of international travel restrictions. We haven’t seen him since 29th December, and don’t know when we’ll be able to see him in person again.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata I read this just when I was debating wiping down my frozen Omaha steaks order today. I was going to throw it all in the freezer and just be careful before I cook it and wash my hands. I guess I’ll be wiping it all down again...sigh

yeah, I still wipe down everything. At this point it doesn't feel right not to though it DOES get old.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm struggling with the isolation. I'm struggling with a lot of other things too, but loneliness is the toughest one. I miss going out. I miss the gym. I miss restaurants. I miss seeing my friends. I miss having people over to the house. I miss being at other people's houses. I'm having a tough time getting motivated to get out of bed on the days where I'm not due to come into work. It's starting to feel like I'm in solitary confinement.

I’m sorry to hear that. Can you maybe form a bubble of close friends or family? My immediate family and I have been dining out since June—we always eat outside and wear a mask. So far, it’s been pretty safe. We visit each other outdoors and keep our distance. I think it’s important for you to weigh the minimal risks if it’s affecting you this way.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calling all teachers or parents of students who’ve gone back to school—hybrid or full-time—do you guys have any updates? I’m still online distance learning so I would appreciate the insight.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calling all teachers or parents of students who’ve gone back to school—hybrid or full-time—do you guys have any updates? I’m still online distance learning so I would appreciate the insight.

My nieces have gone back to school (In September) and they are doing a hybrid week. It varies from week to week but they go in two to three times weekly and the other days it's remote learning via the computer. All tests are now timed as to discourage cheating when one is taking the test at home. The girls are adapting well and seem fine. But I guess time will tell to see how everyone really ends up doing after this big experiment is over.

And the girls are still socializing albeit safely. I hope. But they are kids and need to get out and enjoy each other's company. I so get it.

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 5.20.32 AM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@cmd2014 I am sending you virtual hugs and lots of good wishes. I know right now you are in a dark tunnel of sorts but it will get better. I know it will. I am so sorry you are going through such a rough time. :(
(((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Latest update for NYC and NJ.

"
This is our daily update of breaking COVID-19 news for Saturday, October 24th, 2020. Previous daily updates can be found here, and up-to-date statistics are here.

New York City is in
Phase 4 of reopening now, which includes zoos, botanical gardens, museums, and gyms. Certain parts of Brooklyn and Queens are under a zoned shutdown. A look at preparing for the spread of coronavirus is here, and if you have lingering questions about the virus, here is our regularly updated coronavirus FAQ. Here are some local and state hotlines for more information: NYC: 311; NY State Hotline: 888-364-3065; NJ State Hotline: 800-222-1222.

Here's the latest:
COVID-19 rates are increasing slightly in the city’s micro-cluster zones carved out by the state, Governor Andrew Cuomo said Saturday.

In the red zone of south Brooklyn, rates increased from 2.51% Thursday to 4.23% Friday, for a rolling seven-day average of 4.47%. In the yellow zone surrounding the Brooklyn's red zone, the positivity rate increased from 1.9% Thursday to 2.07% Friday, for a rolling seven-day average of 2.4%.

In the yellow zone of Kew Garden Hills and Forest Hills in Queens, the positivity rate increased from 1.62% Thursday to 2.4% Friday, for a rolling seven-day average of 2.23%. And in the yellow zone of Far Rockaway in Queens, the positivity rate increased from 1.37% Thursday to 1.68% Friday for a rolling seven-day average of 1.77%.

Overall, the state is at a 1.31% positivity rate. Eleven people died in the state Friday, including one person in Brooklyn and one in Nassau County.

There were 19,799 test results reported Friday from Cuomo’s micro-cluster zones state-wide, yielding 511 positives. Outside of the zones, there were 137,141 test results reported Friday, with 1,550 positive reports.

Cuomo had implemented a micro-cluster zone strategy on October 17th to deal with increasing rates around the state. On Wednesday, Cuomo eased the state restrictions in some neighborhoods after rates had improved, but left the red zones in Brooklyn unchanged.

There were 1,045 people hospitalized Friday, an increase of 22 people over Thursday, and the highest total since June. There were 231 people in intensive care units Friday, an increase of eight patients over Thursday. Of those patients in ICU, 113 people were intubated, an increase of four patients from Thursday.

"As new cases climb across the country, in New York we are continuing our strategy of aggressively targeting micro-clusters whenever they pop up and implementing measures to stop any potential spread quickly," Cuomo said in a release Saturday. "We are able to be surgical in our approach because we have developed such large testing and contact tracing programs. The news from around the country is another reminder that while we have come a long way, this pandemic is not over and we must remain vigilant: wear a mask, wash your hands, socially distance and be New York Tough. The only way to beat this thing is through compliance of public health law and by taking care of one another."

New Jersey Reports Highest Number Of COVID-19 Cases Since May
2:23 p.m.: New Jersey officials are warning that the state's cases are approaching the numbers last seen in the spring during the height of the pandemic.

The state reported 1,994 new cases Friday, making the state's cumulative total 227,339, said Governor Phil Murphy in a tweet Saturday. Eight more people died Friday as well. "We haven’t seen daily case numbers this high since May. We’re still in the midst of a pandemic and need everyone to take this seriously," he wrote.

The increase comes as the local economy continues to reopen, with the reintroduction of indoor dining last month, and schools bringing back students for in-person instruction. What started out as isolated outbreaks on college campuses and within the Orthodox Jewish community in Lakewood over the High Holidays, has now snowballed into a statewide crisis, fueled by what state officials say is private indoor gatherings across all of New Jersey’s 21 counties.

Murphy himself has also had a close brush with COVID-19 -- he's been in self-quarantine at home since he hung out at a Hoboken bar last week with a senior staffer who later tested positive for the virus. Murphy tested negative for the coronavirus Saturday, as did his wife, according to NJ.com.

U.S. Sets New Record For Daily COVID-19 Cases At 83,700+
With cases surging in the Midwest, the United States has set a new record of daily coronavirus cases recorded.

More widely available testing is enabling public health officials to understand how prevalent the virus is. According to Johns Hopkins University, 83,700 new COVID-19 cases were reported on Friday; the NY Times reports the figure may be over 85,000.

The seven-day average for cases in the U.S. is over 60,000 a day. Earlier this week, the White House coronavirus task force designated 31 states as "red zone" areas,where infections are high. Hospitalizations are also rising in the Midwest; Kansas Governor Laura Kelly said that hospitals were strained due to so many patients with the virus.

"We easily will hit six-figure numbers in terms of the number of cases," Michael Osterholm of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, said in an interview with CNN. "And the deaths are going to go up precipitously in the next three to four weeks, following usually new cases by about two to three weeks."

In New York, hospitalizations exceeded 1,000 for the first time since June. Governor Andrew Cuomo said during a press conference that he expected all numbers to go up, given that the weather is changing and more people are indoors and possibly congregating. And, as hospitalizations lag by two to three weeks, an uptick is unsurprising after surges in certain "micro-clusters" in the state, including those in Brooklyn and Queens.

Notably, intensive care cases haven't really increased in New York.

The Times points out that the number of cases is high because there's more testing available. Still, many states do not even have mask mandates. On CNN, Dr. Anthony Fauci said mask wearing, social distancing, and avoiding crowds could go a long way to help fight the transmission.

"They sound very simple, but we're not uniformly doing that and that's one of the reasons why we're seeing these surges," said Fauci. "We can control them without shutting down the country."

"

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, however, here is an update of changes in my personal circumstances.

I went to 2 indoor choir practices at the end of September/beginning of October, and then stopped, as I am not sure whether it is actually permitted under the current circumstances.

In addition, I had reservations that the venue was too small for the number of attendees.

My favourite pub in town has re-opened for the first time since lockdown in March on Thursday. I helped to re-decorate etc. as the management team are my friends, and I want it to be a success.

They performed a thorough risk assessment, and made it Covid-safe by re-organising the seating, reduced the number of seats, by implementing an online booking system, as well as an online ordering system for drinks and snacks, as well as a separate one for the food provided by a separate vendor/partner, so as to facilitate a full table service, etc. etc...

All very exciting, until I found I was not able to book a table for 1, so I booked a table for 2 instead, and mentioned it in response to a post promoting the online booking system in the FB page of the pub; to be informed that singletons could not book online as it would take up (valuable) spaces, etc. etc...

So I launched into one on my own FB wall about the hospitality sector not welcoming singletons, for the owner of the pub (who is a friend as mentioned) to pick it up.

The issues I had were that:
* There was no warning/advice/whatver that single drinkers were not supposed to book online, they should chance it as walk in's.
* Many single drinkers who frequent the pub pre-Covid supported the pub by purchasing take away for home deliveries from the onset of the lockdown, and I feel they are being tossed aside having to chance it as walk-in's!

Although I am pretty sure I am unlikely to be refused entry at the times when I would normally go out to drink in early evenings, and am not asking for favours or expect any; I am making a stand for the injustice against single drinkers who supported the pub and brewery during the pandemic.

Much as I could appreciate their business decision that has nothing to do with science, it does not mean I have to like it!!!

Don't care if I am considered as a PITA for making a stand, friends or no friends. It is not the first time I have made a stand for something close to my heart, and it will definitely not be the last!

(Rant over!)

Having been back to the pub the past 3 days as a single drinker (and used public transport for the first time since lockdown in March so that I could drink more), and managed to find a seat as a walk-in every time, I feel I should re-consider attending indoor choir practice again.

The numbers have been reduced, and there are tighter procedures in place (just to show my initial reservations were not totally unfounded!). Time will tell if I would feel comfortable about it when I attend the next session tomorrow.

On a wider perspective, I support the tiered and risk-base approach, in that areas with higher infection rates should have tighter local lockdown measures.

My home town and county is in the lowest tier, and I am keeping a close eye on the infection rate.

I nagged a friend, a frequent single drinker at the pub, who missed his flu jab as he did not believe he would need it, and I reasoned that it is not about the needs of an individual, it is about minimising the risk of getting flu and adding burden to the already stretched National Health Service. Glad to know he agreed. ;))

I decided Christmas is cancelled over a month ago, in that I am not going to bother with making cards and goodies bags, so that I could make alternative arrangements for the days leading up to the holidays, like camping as my van should be available from mid December onwards.

There won't be any parties and events in December like it did pre-Covid, so I may as well go camping in my van with the dog.

I am holding back from venturing to venues such as restaurants and bars in hot spots in nearby cities.

I am embracing the "new normal" the best I can.

Thanks for reading.

DK :))

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Sydney Australia
We currently have no people testing positive that haven’t either just flown here with it and are in quarantine or have had close contact with an already identified positive (and are in quarantine).
We question if we should be wearing masks but do see people wearing them in the supermarkets and the bus drivers have requested that they be worn on public transport (even though they won’t mandate it) I would say 80% compliance.
Social distancing is now the complete norm (although I do find the people with masks get complacent and get way too close) - to the point I have started to notice all close contact in movies and shows on TV as my mind is instantly registering it as *wrong*.
If you want to go to a restaurant or the movies you need to scan a QR code on entry and fill in your details for contact tracing.
Kids are all back at school for their last term.
Confusion over what to do for Halloween or corporate Xmas parties is setting in as the limits are ever changing and confusing.
Australians are itching to move.
We have very low numbers and still have closed state boarders to some states and no flights to NZ or Tasmania which severely limits families seeing each other.
Millions of us (especially who work in events, airline, tourism, etc) are STILL out of work with the only help from the government being they allowed us to pull $10,000 from our Super (retirement funds) which would mean losing up to $40,000 or more by the time we do retire.

It’s hard and so sloooooooooow.

Personally I’m banking on two things - one being successful treatments for COVID from existing drugs made for other uses that have yet to test for this.. and the other being the *Typical life of a virus* - meaning the virus doesn’t want to kill us (as it dies with us) so over time virus’s mutate to be less deadly and more viral (easy to catch). They work hard on spreading themselves and less hard on killing the host.
This is why the majority of us don’t die when the common cold comes knocking. If you are unlucky and get a nasty strain of influenza you can die but they have awesome treatments for it and you should survive given you don’t have preconditions or are elderly.

Personally I feel we are at the stage over here that we need to be testing for antibodies to see if a lot of us have already been exposed and not had a particularly bad mutation or strain - or may have an albeit temporary built up immunity.
I know there are many cases of families where everyone got sick to varying levels bar one person in the family. The answer lies in that one person who didn’t get sick - not in the three people who did. JMO

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry to hear that. Can you maybe form a bubble of close friends or family? My immediate family and I have been dining out since June—we always eat outside and wear a mask. So far, it’s been pretty safe. We visit each other outdoors and keep our distance. I think it’s important for you to weigh the minimal risks if it’s affecting you this way.

I would, but we are seeing record numbers where I am so we are on government mandated restrictions with a strong recommendation that you limit contact to your immediate family. And it's starting to be winter here (below freezing) so outside meetups and dining is not an option. Plus, most of my friends are health care workers (as am I) and/or are caring for elderly parents, so they feel that there is a lot of risk in not isolating to their immediate family at the moment. I have been doing zoom calls and phone calls and texts and I have two friends who are willing to have me in their bubble (one lives alone, one lives with just her adult daughter who is doing university from home) so I'm not totally alone, but they aren't always available so it's lonelier than I am used to. And maybe I need to make more of an effort too. It's easy to fall into a Netflix bubble sometimes!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry you're going through that. do you have nature trails around you? maybe meet with a few friends for those types of outdoor activities. We try to get out and do something everyday when its possible (this weekend was a bust mostly because it rained so much) I'm hopeful about thanksgiving, and being able to see my friends after so long (we're doing an outside turkey day if the weather holds!)

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I believe hardly anything the government is saying about it.
The Clumsy Dimwit Clowns(CDC) is very not trustable and has not been worth anything for years.
WHO is corrupt and beyond salvage.
Dr farce lied about masks. Either he lied at first or he is lying now.
FDA is corrupted, look how bad the Boeing 737max was with self certification and all the corruption. It certainly looks like the FDA is just as bad.
State governors by acting like tyrants are violating state and federal constitutions.
Americans can be lead by good leaders where it makes sense but will rebel against tyrants.

He did not lie

This comment about Dr. Fauci is enraging. It’s the height of disrespect for someone who dedicated his life to the American people. It’s also something spouted by the conspiracy theorists who know zero about science.

Working off of the information available at the time is not lying. Western countries believed that the virus was most commonly spread through touch contact with mucus membranes. So that was the whole wash your hands, sanitize, don’t touch your face thing at the beginning of the pandemic.

The belief, and it’s still true, is the only way to be “safe” wearing a mask is to wear a fit tested N95 with eye protection. Cloth masks provide some protection to the wearer, but not a lot so things like ventilation and distancing are still important. Where cloth masks are helpful is decreasing spread from infected individuals. This wasn’t initially understood and MANY health authorities in different western countries hesitated to advocate for masks because they weren’t considered effective against a virus that is transmitted by contact (and touching the mask could result in accidental exposure).

All that to say that changing an opinion when new information surfaces isn’t lying. It’s called being humble enough to accept your mistakes.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
French president live on TV.

Very presidential. Very scientific. Very humble. Very

Back to lockdown.

Bars & restaurants closed
Non essential shops closed

University on-line.
School to remain open

They will get government aides

He is urging everyone to do their share , urging everyone to please apply their common sense and their duty for society.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say I'm personally impressed by the very human and humble yet scientific approach of the French president, idem the German Chancellor.

Let's hope this is going to work

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
France is about to go into a second nationwide lockdown.

Although less severe as the first, it is still very restrictive.

It would not be a surprise for other European countries to follow suite soon.

I fully expect UK to go into a nationwide second lockdown of some sort soon.

It may result in a delay in the conversion of my campervan, which could mean not being able to go camping over the festive period. However, it is NBD as I can always spend it at home on my own with the pets as per usual.

DK :confused2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results