shape
carat
color
clarity

Consumer advisory: GIA Cut Grade Rounding Problems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 12:39:33 PM
Author: Serg

Date: 2/7/2006 12:16:16 PM
Author: adamasgem

The extra weight in the Girdle plane does nothing to enhance beauty, can make setting a problem (so I've heard) and costs consumers money. That extra 0.01 carat may make it the stone cost 10-20% more..$$$$$$
Marty,
If painted increase performance , save girdle thickness in bezel place( Only one right place for definition girdle thickness) , increasing weight on 0.5-3%
should Labs downgrade such diamond on 1,2,3,4 grades?
Grade reduction should be commensurate with price differential of weight gain accross boundaries.. How many "grades" depends on what scale (or girdle "definition" see the earlier thread on this ) one is using, I'd cut it down 1/2 to 1 grade (on a 5 grade scale) which balances out increase in performance due to painting pavilions.

"Grading" is a multi parameter optimization You can't ignore one for the other, in my opinion

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2006 12:48:50 PM

The extra weight in the Girdle plane does nothing to enhance beauty, can make setting a problem (so I''ve heard) and costs consumers money. That extra 0.01 carat may make it the stone cost 10-20% more..$$$$$$
Marty,
If painted increase performance , save girdle thickness in bezel place( Only one right place for definition girdle thickness) , increasing weight on 0.5-3%
Grade reduction should be commensurate with price differential of weight gain accross boundaries.. How many ''grades'' depends on what scale one is using, I''d cut it down 1/2 to 1 grade..
Such system can not work in real world.

1) Price difference depends from mass, color, clarity
2) Who are know price difference between two GIA cut grade?

It can be changing in time

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sarin FacetWare report. Grade Excellent. Final GIA grade Poor.

How should work cutters now?

Owner diamond was sure : Diamond will receive Very good. But diamond received Poor just. And what is important GIA mark girdle. Owner can not send diamond to other labs without remove GIA laser inscription. After repolishing weight will 0.49( may be).

We can buy this diamond for study, Who will buy other such diamonds? Nobody want send diamond to Lab , pay for grading( more then for cutting) and receive Poor grade with laser inscription. Ugly situation

GIA_Sarin report.jpg

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 2:58:02 AM
Author: strmrdr
My bottom line question to Gary, serg, Bill and Marty is what do you think is a fair grade for this stone and why?

edit: would it be possible to send this diamond to Jon or RockDoc for a run on the b-scope and to Dave for a imagem report?

Storm....get me a copy of the Sarin MFG. report and I can give you an accurate BrayScore on it.

Bill

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 11:24:47 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Marty i will email you and a few others a full DiamCalc.

tell me if you would like a copy garryh @ ideal-scope.com
If you open the File area in the top left you will see complete report data.

Bill - I agree with everything you wrote :)
Except the stone''s angular variance is actually quite small when measured thru the axias rather than from the table reference point.
Gary...I discussed measuring the angles through the axias rather than from the table. To correct angles through the axias does not correct angle straightness 90 degrees to the two 180 degree angles that it would correct, and also, in everyday life terms, to correct how a stone looks simply by tilting it to change the axias, then one would assume it would have to be mounted in a setting crooked, no?

Bill

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Ostensibly since rounding the stone is the first course of work on a diamond, any and all girdling diminishes the spread of the stone.

Whether or not all of the girdle is utilized or not (read, left thick) is usually a weight saving device that usually sacrifices brilliance. As an example, this stone .50 we''re talking about. A 34.5 crown would presumably make a better looking stone than the 33 degree top, but would have lost the .50 ct.

As the PA Dutch say in these parts...."we don''t pay for weight we don''t see."

Bill
Date: 2/7/2006 6:41:55 AM
My rules are that grdles that are too thin should be downgraded.

Diamonds with bigger spread should be upgraded (as in HCA - but this means downgrading girdles that lead to poor spread).

A diamond with a good spread because the crown is shallow should have at least a medium girdle (not Thin or Very Thin) to stop it chipping.

There is no such thing as a girdle that is TOO thick, unless it reudces beauty appearance or spread.

I prefer to grade for durability and spread and let cutters creatively find any way that makes a beautiful diamond.
This stone girdle does not reduce comparitive spread and it is not thick enough to appear bad (about 0.3mm at thickest part).

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
re: Whether or not all of the girdle is utilized or not (read, left thick) is usually a weight saving device that usually sacrifices brilliance. As an example, this stone .50 we''re talking about. A 34.5 crown would presumably make a better looking stone than the 33 degree top, but would have lost the .50 ct.

It is wrong. Mass will biger for 34.5 crown

You can easy do AGS 0 and GIA Excellent for diameter 5.14-5.17 with mass 0.50ct

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 1:36:17 PM

Owner diamond was sure : Diamond will receive Very good. But diamond received Poor just. And what is important GIA mark girdle. Owner can not send diamond to other labs without remove GIA laser inscription. After repolishing weight will 0.49( may be).

We can buy this diamond for study, Who will buy other such diamonds? Nobody want send diamond to Lab , pay for grading( more then for cutting) and receive Poor grade with laser inscription. Ugly situation

Re Ugly situation... You can thank the "world''s foremost authority" for that... Hey They said is was an "estimator" did they not.. The FAAAAAAAARCEWARE dart board at work

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 2:15:05 PM
re: Whether or not all of the girdle is utilized or not (read, left thick) is usually a weight saving device that usually sacrifices brilliance. As an example, this stone .50 we''re talking about. A 34.5 crown would presumably make a better looking stone than the 33 degree top, but would have lost the .50 ct.

Sergey: If you recut the stone to a 34.5 top keeping the same table, wouldn''t that reduce the weight as you would have to cut into the girdle plane.. Initial cutting from the rough may have gained you, but that is supposition. It is all part of the planning..

Now You would reduce the weight but make a more premium stone so you might gain in total value for the stone.

Cutters have too long focused on weight, and most merchants are used to selling by magic weight..

That Everyone "needs" a 1 carat stone is the typical sales pitch or female "request" that I hear about.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You raise an interesting point Marty,
They have been saying for months they were going to knock these diamonds down and that the software would not give the final grade.

I dont know about anyone else but I fully expected that newline/8* diamonds would get hit by it.
I didnt have any info that they would for sure be but I expected them too be.
Id still like to see a pro/con list for the style of cutting.

edit: to clarify: before I join in the bad GIA camp over girdle treatments Id like to know more about it. The use of rounded numbers is an issue that does make me say bad GIA.

He Scores

Shiny_Rock

It is wrong. Mass will be bigger for 34.5 crown??

This is where you guys really throw me off. If I take that particular stone, with it''s present diameter and thick girdle and raise the crown angles to 34.5 degrees, the stone will lose weight, even though yes the crown height will increase.

I don''t understand what your saying about mass.

This was my problem with Peter yanzer on the digging of upper halves. His calculations dictated that by digging the halves it gave the crown more height therefore more weight to the stone.

This is just wrong...in the real world of cutting.

Bill

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The extra weight in the Girdle plane does nothing to enhance beauty, can make setting a problem (so I''ve heard) and costs consumers money. That extra 0.01 carat may make it the stone cost 10-20% more..$$$$$$
Not so for a small stone like this Marty - the girdle is 0.3mm in the thickest part - and that is not as thick as most colored gems that size.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Marty,
Grade reduction should be commensurate with price differential of weight gain accross boundaries.. How many ''grades'' depends on what scale (or girdle ''definition'' see the earlier thread on this ) one is using, I''d cut it down 1/2 to 1 grade (on a 5 grade scale) which balances out increase in performance due to painting pavilions.

''Grading'' is a multi parameter optimization You can''t ignore one for the other, in my opinion
Careful Marty - this idea leads to different grading for a say 1.000ct than 1.10ct?????????????????????????
Not cool

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 11:11:16 PM

Marty,
Grade reduction should be commensurate with price differential of weight gain accross boundaries.. How many ''grades'' depends on what scale (or girdle ''definition'' see the earlier thread on this ) one is using, I''d cut it down 1/2 to 1 grade (on a 5 grade scale) which balances out increase in performance due to painting pavilions.

''Grading'' is a multi parameter optimization You can''t ignore one for the other, in my opinion
Careful Marty - this idea leads to different grading for a say 1.000ct than 1.10ct?????????????????????????
Not cool
Maybe not "cool" like you say, but certainly something to take account of.. weight boundaries are a fact of life and pricing..maybe they shouldn''t be, but appraisers understand them

one or two points on aa 1.10 are NOT THE SAME as 1 or 2 pts on a 1.00 price differentially

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2006 11:20:59 PM
Maybe not ''cool'' like you say, but certainly something to take account of.. weight boundaries are a fact of life and pricing..maybe they shouldn''t be, but appraisers understand them

one or two points on aa 1.10 are NOT THE SAME as 1 or 2 pts on a 1.00 price differentially
1.10 is worth less per carat in the real market than 1.00 exactly.
It is only as you approach 1.20ct that the demand / price rises.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bill with that deeper pavilion angle the shallower crown angle works better.

At the risk of putting words in Sergey''s mouth - I think he means that from the rough of that depth and diameter it would have been possible to cut a 1/2ct with a 34.5 crown angle (and maybe a much thinner girdle).

I think it would have possibly had a shallow pavilion though and maybe not look as good as this stone.
The shallower pavilion would not have made GIA Excellent or Very Good - so the cutter was possibly led astray by the Sarin GIA software that cost him $3,500 per machine plus about 20% per year licence fee.
I would call that value subtracting.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 12:56:35 AM

Maybe not ''cool'' like you say, but certainly something to take account of.. weight boundaries are a fact of life and pricing..maybe they shouldn''t be, but appraisers understand them

Well, I find that hard to believe. I for one would guess that most stones at 1.0 have been cheated to get the weight, and that most at 1.1 are probably better made, because the incentive to break a weight boundary is gone and more attention paid to better cutting .. ony opinion, but I for one would not say that a 1.0 is worth more per carat than a 1.1.. sounds stooopid as you say, from my viewpoint , but you are entitled to your opinion.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/8/2006 2:56:59 AM

Date: 2/8/2006 12:56:35 AM

Well, I find that hard to believe. I for one would guess that most stones at 1.0 have been cheated to get the weight, and that most at 1.1 are probably better made, because the incentive to break a weight boundary is gone and more attention paid to better cutting .. ony opinion, but I for one would not say that a 1.0 is worth more per carat than a 1.1.. sounds stooopid as you say, from my viewpoint , but you are entitled to your opinion.
re:that a 1.0 is worth more per carat than a 1.1.. sounds stooopid as you say, from my viewpoint

It is easy to explain. Consumer do not like pay for additional .10 pointes. He do not need "superfluous" weight. He need 1.00 ct only.

It this case 1.01 ct can be has better cut than 1.10 ct. :) ( cutter has not motivation to receive 1.05-1.10)

In any case Rules like : Weight boundary diamonds are bad and should be downgrade, Unusual diamonds are not good diamonds, - are not good rules for grading

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2006 9:09:09 PM
Author: He Scores

This is where you guys really throw me off. If I take that particular stone, with it''s present diameter and thick girdle and raise the crown angles to 34.5 degrees, the stone will lose weight, even though yes the crown height will increase.

This was my problem with Peter yanzer on the digging of upper halves. His calculations dictated that by digging the halves it gave the crown more height therefore more weight to the stone.

Bill

re: This is where you guys really throw me off. If I take that particular stone, with it''s present diameter and thick girdle and raise the crown angles to 34.5 degrees, the stone will lose weight, even though yes the crown height will increase.

Are you speaking about repolishing? What is sense speaking about repolishing here?

for same diameter cutter usually( it depends from shape rough, inclusions, Is it first diamond or second) can receive better yield from rough for crown 34.5 than crown 32.5 ( If we are speaking about real world of cutting not about repolishing. Any repolishing can decreasing mass only)

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All diamonds has diameter 5.16 mm
Blue and Green diamonds are AGS0

Red is painted Green diamond.

I think Red diamond has better performance than Green diamonds.

Why Red is AGS5=(0 for Light performance+ 5 due thickness girdle) if

1) Red diamond has less weight than some other AGS 0
2) Red diamond has better performance than Green diamond( If somebody do not believe, please use this statement like hypothesis)
3) Such girdle is not damage side view of diamond
P/S
I do not know any proof( or even idea) Why painted is bad for light performance. Classical diamond originate from simple rule : equal azimuths steps between facets( 3 clicks, 3 clicks,...)
Why equal steps is best solutions?
Why equal steps is best solutions for all proportions?

AGS0_5_16mm_ClassicalANDpainted.gif

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Classical diamond has not min mass in both below rough diamond examples.

Crystal2_Stone2.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Printing the report and laser-inscription of the number does not happen automatically at the lab. Always, the results are first communicated, and the owner has the time and the opportunity to ask for re-checks and/or to have the stone returned without the report and the inscription.

If the owner let this opportunity pass by, it is his own fault and responsibility.

Live long,

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Bill
You are probably right, Bill. Without the actual rough stone, we cannot be sure, but it is highly unlikely that this is the result if he could have saved more weight with a steeper and higher crown. Even if this meant that the pavilion needed to be cut less deep, in order to maintain performance.

All depends however on the actual rough stone, which we do not know.

Live long,

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/8/2006 6:36:34 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Printing the report and laser-inscription of the number does not happen automatically at the lab. Always, the results are first communicated, and the owner has the time and the opportunity to ask for re-checks and/or to have the stone returned without the report and the inscription.

If the owner let this opportunity pass by, it is his own fault and responsibility.

Live long,

re:If the owner let this opportunity pass by, it is his own fault and responsibility.

Two points
1) It was done through Rapaport window( see GIA report)
2) Big manufacture can send several hundred diamonds per day

BTW . What is responsibility GIA?

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 3:25:29 AM

Bill

re: This is where you guys really throw me off. If I take that particular stone, with it''s present diameter and thick girdle and raise the crown angles to 34.5 degrees, the stone will lose weight, even though yes the crown height will increase.

Are you speaking about repolishing? What is sense speaking about repolishing here?

for same diameter cutter usually( it depends from shape rough, inclusions, Is it first diamond or second) can receive better yield from rough for crown 34.5 than crown 32.5 ( If we are speaking about real world of cutting not about repolishing. Any repolishing can decreasing mass only)

Serge and others.

If you have two diamonds..both the same girdle diameter and both the same depth (not depth percentage). If the one stone is representative of the one we''re talking about here (.50 that Gary liked the way the cutter saved the weight) that has a thick girdle and 33 degree crown, are you saying that if the same stone had a 34.5 degree crown (same dia, same depth) it would weigh more?

What am I missing here?

Bill.....somewhat confuserated

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/8/2006 7:30:10 AM

Date: 2/8/2006 3:25:29 AM

Bill

Serge and others.

If you have two diamonds..both the same girdle diameter and both the same depth (not depth percentage). If the one stone is representative of the one we''re talking about here (.50 that Gary liked the way the cutter saved the weight) that has a thick girdle and 33 degree crown, are you saying that if the same stone had a 34.5 degree crown (same dia, same depth) it would weigh more?

What am I missing here?

Bill.....somewhat confuserated
Diameter 5,16 5,16
Girdle valley 1,5% 1,5%
Girdle besel 3,2 3,2
Total Height 59,8% 59,8%
Table 59,9% 60%
Pavilion 40,50 41,23
Crown 34,5 32,53
Mass 0,5019 0,4961
AGS grade 0 0

Diameter 5,16 5,16
Girdle valley 2,1% 3 %
Girdle bonel 3,8% 6%

Total Height 59,8% 59,8%
Table 60,5% 60%
Pavilion 40,30 41,23
Crown 34,5 32,53
Mass 0,5098 0,5087

AGS grade 2 5

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Ah ha! Now I see it. The 34.5 degree crown stone only has more mass since the bottom angles on the 33.0 crown stone were raised. THIS is where the mass is calculated differently...not because of the crown angles.

If everything were the same, the mass calculation would be reversed. Now I see it.

Also, IMHO, the 33 stone with the bottom angle over 41 would be a darker looking stone, and most in the trade would accept the notion that it was the "poorer" of the two cuts.

Did I finally get on the same page Sergey?

Bill

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
True, but the limitation is in the shape of the rough stone.

It all depends on whether the stone is limited by the position of the table, or the position of the girdle-area. In many cases (if not most), it is the position of the table, that is set, especially when one thinks about Garry''s remark, that the stone is a sawn 4-point.

Then, increasing the crown angle with a constant table-size, brings the position of the girdle lower, thus with a smaller diameter.

Anyway, this is a side-issue, which does not really belong in this thread.

Live long,

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/8/2006 8:58:58 AM

Ah ha! Now I see it. The 34.5 degree crown stone only has more mass since the bottom angles on the 33.0 crown stone were raised. THIS is where the mass is calculated differently...not because of the crown angles.

If everything were the same, the mass calculation would be reversed. Now I see it.

Also, IMHO, the 33 stone with the bottom angle over 41 would be a darker looking stone, and most in the trade would accept the notion that it was the ''poorer'' of the two cuts.

Did I finally get on the same page Sergey?

Bill
re:Also, IMHO, the 33 stone with the bottom angle over 41 would be a darker looking stone, and most in the trade would accept the notion that it was the ''poorer'' of the two cuts.

Diameter 5,16
Girdle valley 3 %
Girdle bonel 6%
Total Height 59,8%
Table 60%
Pavilion 41,23
Crown 32,53
Mass 0,5087
AGS grade 5

Such diamond is more bright than modern Tolkowsky cut.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 6:49:01 AM

re:If the owner let this opportunity pass by, it is his own fault and responsibility.

Two points
1) It was done through Rapaport window( see GIA report)
2) Big manufacture can send several hundred diamonds per day

BTW . What is responsibility GIA?
GIA claims NO RESPONSIBILITY for anything they do, if you read the fine print.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results