shape
carat
color
clarity

Consumer advisory: GIA Cut Grade Rounding Problems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 7:45:50 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 2/17/2006 5:11:47 AM
Author: adamasgem

Date: 2/17/2006 1:57:58 AM

Marty they did lots of looking in domes that may have been somewhat related to computer models - but they did say that only 58%? of human observers in the light box matched those computer predictions.
if their final uniiform uniform (46/23) intensity dome is any examole, as I strongly believe the model they came up with does not accurately reflect the physical envirornment they tried to simulate and correlate with ''observations''.
That is the point Marty - the whole point and nothing but the point.

They made a model because of their computer study to try to legitimize the money and decade they had wasted.

Look, in their defense, it was not entirely wasted, just the chunk that went to defray their management salaries.

They made a model that matched their lighting box DiamondDock CVE results, which had too much concentrated light coming from a narrow direction. I did a 18" fluorescent tube model using WLR and compared it with their original diffuse hemispher. I''ll have to did out that data and post it

The plastic salad bowl dome that matched this had a huge amount of obstruction darkness around the observer because in many rooms these 2 strong fluoro tubes and 12 LED intense spots (relative to often dull room lighting) made anything but steep deep proportioned stones look dead.

As I read their last article, I can''t see where they used their CVE model box in their final metric. As to the hemispheres, I do not believe the backlit hemispheres (Fig 7 of their 2004 model) result in uniform diffuse illumination emmenating from the white areas, as suggested in their (46/23) hemisphere model of table 5.

One would note also that the acrylic domes are transluscent (While some of the backsides appear to be paited black), and that the viewer shown in Figure 7 is using a transluscent dome. I wonder how they treated the direct light to the viewer''s eye (background evironment effecting pupil diameter) that would be much more intense than any light return from the diamond, as a guestimate. I''m going to try this out with a smaller dome and light box I have when I get the time and money to waste. First a litlle physical modeling is necessary.

They then took that model and showed that they could indeed make a computer model that had a 58% level of accuracy. Hello? Garbage model, Garbage result

They messed up in the human observer section.
But it will be good for business. But what if the world wakes up and realises that the worlds formeost authority either made a mistake or made a commercial decison? It is all about "shoot the engineer and get the product out the door"

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2006 2:14:20 PM

As I read their last article, I can''t see where they used their CVE model box in their final metric. As to the hemispheres, I do not believe the backlit hemispheres (Fig 7 of their 2004 model) result in uniform diffuse illumination emmenating from the white areas, as suggested in their (46/23) hemisphere model of table 5.
Marty they did +70,000 observations and the dome only constituted about 20,000 of those observations
I did count the dome observertions here once before http://www.gia.edu/pdfs/cut_table_1.pdf

You can also see that the two largest +5,000 sets were essentially focusing on the 46 degree obstruction (one was 23-0 black and the other one was 22.5 degrees to the horizon black

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 3:17:34 PM

Date: 2/17/2006 2:14:20 PM

Marty they did +70,000 observations and the dome only constituted about 20,000 of those observations
I did count the dome observertions here once before http://www.gia.edu/pdfs/cut_table_1.pdf

You can also see that the two largest +5,000 sets were essentially focusing on the 46 degree obstruction (one was 23-0 black and the other one was 22.5 degrees to the horizon black

Garry ... Please Read Table 5 on page 216 of the 2004 article and tell me your interpretation of what they used for their ultimate metric, regardless of their testing...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Marty all the way through you can see that they were struggilng to find some metric to explain what the observers were seeing. They clearly would have liked to have some calculation system to predict the boundaries accurately.
I do not believe they ever found that method. If they did then they certainly never mentioned it in that Foundation article.
I can understand Marty that as a scientist you are looking for reproducable techniques to try to test their results.
I hope you can understand though that what I am saying is most likely to be correct.

GIA conducted about 50,000 observations, mostly in light boxes, and mostly with trade participants. From this data they built a parametric grading system.

Because of the lack of a "metric" they are unable to grade stones with indexed (painted and dug) faceting because that would entail conducting another survey with additional various poprotions that would require about twice as many samples and analysis again as the first round.

In conclusion, GIA have a parametric grading system that works the same way that HCA does, except it penalizes minor facets if they are outside a very wide range of unusual minor facet variants. They have also included Sym, polish and girdle thicknes etc (which I too have on the desk top HCA, but it is too much to expect consumers to work out girdle thickness from many different lab systems)

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 8:38:22 PM
Marty all the way through you can see that they were struggilng to find some metric to explain what the observers were seeing. They clearly would have liked to have some calculation system to predict the boundaries accurately.
I do not believe they ever found that method. If they did then they certainly never mentioned it in that Foundation article.

Well, they did allude to the final "models"

I can understand Marty that as a scientist you are looking for reproducable techniques to try to test their results.
I hope you can understand though that what I am saying is most likely to be correct. Who knows, they aren''t very clear about it.

GIA conducted about 50,000 observations, mostly in light boxes, and mostly with trade participants. From this data they built a parametric grading system. I believe the observations were meant to test their models, but I might be wrong..

Because of the lack of a ''metric'' they are unable to grade stones with indexed (painted and dug) faceting because that would entail conducting another survey with additional various poprotions that would require about twice as many samples and analysis again as the first round. No model, no metric. You might be right in not having well cut *8 style cutting in the mix for observations.

In conclusion, GIA have a parametric grading system that works the same way that HCA does, except it penalizes minor facets if they are outside a very wide range of unusual minor facet variants. They have also included Sym, polish and girdle thicknes etc (which I too have on the desk top HCA, but it is too much to expect consumers to work out girdle thickness from many different lab systems) Big lookup table, I wonder how they built it, certainly not with "observations". I wonder here all their test stones fell...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2006 11:30:19 PM

Well, they did allude to the final ''models'' Not to do so would be admitting "sorry boss, we screwed up big time"

I hope you can understand though that what I am saying is most likely to be correct. Who knows, they aren''t very clear about it. see comment above

GIA conducted about 50,000 observations, mostly in light boxes, and mostly with trade participants. From this data they built a parametric grading system. I believe the observations were meant to test their models, but I might be wrong.. correct - and they had a poor 58% match, so they appear to have dropped the metrics and based the whole thing on a simple ask heaps of peoples opinions and try to make something that will not hurt business too much."

Because of the lack of a ''metric'' they are unable to grade stones with indexed (painted and dug) faceting because that would entail conducting another survey with additional various poprotions that would require about twice as many samples and analysis again as the first round. No model, no metric. You might be right in not having well cut *8 style cutting in the mix for observations. We already saw that article that showed that dug out from one of the big GIA benefactors was preffered over a stone that was alluded to as an 8*

In conclusion, GIA have a parametric grading system that works the same way that HCA does, except it penalizes minor facets if they are outside a very wide range of unusual minor facet variants. They have also included Sym, polish and girdle thicknes etc (which I too have on the desk top HCA, but it is too much to expect consumers to work out girdle thickness from many different lab systems) Big lookup table, I wonder how they built it, certainly not with ''observations''. I wonder here all their test stones fell... see the chart from Foundation - see how poorly the data fits within their observer to metric models!!

GIA observer fire brill.JPG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also note on the chart above - how few poor stones they studied.

This is the achillies heel of all the systems that i know of - they only run the checks on the good to best stones - and you can not verify and validate a system this way.

I know of a test that was run on Brilliancescope with one of the actual stones from the GIA study - a shocker that scored very high on BS. The person who ran it has gone very very quiet about technologies.

Dave if you are reading this - please do it on Imagem - test all the worst stones you ever saw - and all the unusual stones - ones with great fire and dead brilliance etc

GIA have still never accounted for the stones that they got off the scale brightness for with shallow crowns.
Some of those stones have great fire too. Any good system should be able to predict or measure this.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
As someone who has extensively studied stats, that model fits atrociously, especially with regard to discriminating between 1 and 2. I can''t believe that passed any of their statistical analysis.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 12:35:06 AM

Date: 2/17/2006 11:30:19 PM

In conclusion, GIA have a parametric grading system that works the same way that HCA does, except it penalizes minor facets if they are outside a very wide range of unusual minor facet variants. They have also included Sym, polish and girdle thicknes etc (which I too have on the desk top HCA, but it is too much to expect consumers to work out girdle thickness from many different lab systems) Big lookup table, I wonder how they built it, certainly not with 'observations'. I wonder here all their test stones fell... see the chart from Foundation - see how poorly the data fits within their observer to metric models!!
And if you read the "fine" print it seems they defined the class boundaries on their 45 test diamonds only..

GIA%20observer%20fire%20brilla.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm finally getting a chance to catch up with this thread.

i did find this chart interesting...

gia45.jpg

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 2:40:37 PM
Author: belle
i''m finally getting a chance to catch up with this thread.

Belle
What is NOT CLEAR in reading the GIA article, is whether or not the Brightness and Fire Metrics placing the relative positions are based on:
1) a symmetrical stone assumption or
2) whether they are based on the actual asymmetrical stone.

It would be interesting to see the Sarin scans and see just how good or bad the stone really are, symmetry wise

It behooves GIA to add the uncertainty of their metric positioning if the first case is true, which I suspect it is, since they have never published anything relating to assymmetry other than say they did it, but only data based on "rounded" averages and/or symmetrical stone models.

One does note the change in the GIA parametric "definitions" of their same test stones across the three G&G articles. Noteable is the rounding occuring from the Fire article to the last 2004 G&G article..

AGS uses the "actual" assymetrical stone scan (however errored) and doesn''t force symmetry into the process.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 3:37:22 PM

Belle
What is NOT CLEAR in reading the GIA article, is whether or not the Brightness and Fire Metrics placing the relative positions are based on:
of course it's not clear!
29.gif

gia may (double italicize and underline 'may') have started this process with the intention of getting good scientific results but there is no way around it...they %*#* up in that regard.
gia is the only entity with the funding capable of taking on such a project but unfortunately the scientific and accurate results would only serve to harm the many that are contributing to the funding in the first place.
there was so much potential here too.
14.gif

He Scores

Shiny_Rock

Belle

It would be interesting to see the Sarin scans and see just how good or bad the stone really are, symmetry wise

It behooves GIA to add the uncertainty of their metric positioning if the first case is true, which I suspect it is, since they have never published anything relating to assymmetry other than say they did it, but only data based on ''rounded'' averages and/or symmetrical stone models.

One does note the change in the GIA parametric ''definitions'' of their same test stones across the three G&G articles. Noteable is the rounding occuring from the Fire article to the last 2004 G&G article..

AGS uses the ''actual'' assymetrical stone scan (however errored) and doesn''t force symmetry into the process.
RE:; It would be interesting to see the Sarin scans and see just how good or bad the stone really are, symmetry wise

Marty....save time and money and just run a BrayScore on them.
36.gif

Bill

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock

Belle wrote :

gia is the only entity with the funding capable of taking on such a project but unfortunately the scientific and accurate results would only serve to harm the many that are contributing to the funding in the first place.
there was so much potential here too.
(*•.¸(`*•.¸¸.•*´)¸.•*)
¨`•.¸ *belle*¸.• ´¨
(¸.•*''(¸.•*´ `*•.¸)*•.¸)

Belle while you could have some deeply "smarts" here in reading between the lines... it could be worse!!!!

Someone could have gotten Jack Abramoff to do the "lobbying" at GIA on behalf of those who would want such a system in place. Or maybe funded someone with billios of government grant funding. Certainly we''ve funded far "sillier" subjects through federally subsidized grants.

Rockdoc

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 7:14:32 PM
Author: RockDoc

Someone could have gotten Jack Abramoff to do the 'lobbying' at GIA on behalf of those who would want such a system in place. Or maybe funded someone with billios of government grant funding. Certainly we've funded far 'sillier' subjects through federally subsidized grants.

Rockdoc
The grapevine humormill emmanating from Tuscon was, that they had already hired the same PR firm to handle Certifigate as Bill Clinton did with Monicagate.
31.gif
They probably have them on long term retainer now.
26.gif

They already had the government subsidised funding in place given their tax exempt status. That means you, I and everyone else paid for it, and consumers are going to "pay for it" in the future.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Belle wrote :

gia is the only entity with the funding capable of taking on such a project but unfortunately the scientific and accurate results would only serve to harm the many that are contributing to the funding in the first place. there was so much potential here too.

Actually, the GIA and AG'S are not the only entities with sufficient funding to have come up with the best, or the most correct, grading principals for light behavior grading standard creation. The firm I have been associated with for a number of years has a better, more scientific and unbiased process for grading diamond light performance. Several million dollars has been spent and it was NOT taxpayer's money, either. We are beginning this coming week to grade for light behavior over 26,000 diamonds; round, princess and marquise for a sight-holder in India and an American retail chain client. Every one of these stones will soon appear in the US market and we have many thousands more coming in over the next several months. Several other sight-holders are looking into this technology and process. You'll be surprised in coming weeks who else is getting involved with using this technology. Innovators and early adopters never rest. We'll see how it all plays out, won't we?

As more vendors take a long look at the available systems for grading diamond cut, I believe many will find excellent work has been done in this field, but not where one might have expected it to come from. This is typical of how a small technology company can make a breakthrough into a large, well established field which is lumbering along in the false belief that they have all the answers and they know all the players.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/18/2006 12:42:29 AM

I know of a test that was run on Brilliancescope with one of the actual stones from the GIA study - a shocker that scored very high on BS. The person who ran it has gone very very quiet about technologies.
Gary,

What are you saying here. What was the result and why did it make some one very very quiet?

This is a curious statement and it means nothing to me as you did not share the results versus the expected results or any of the information that would make it meaningful. Please share more.

Wink

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2006 1:01:47 PM
Author: oldminer

The firm I have been associated with for a number of years has a better, more scientific and unbiased process for grading diamond light performance.

Dave, any physical measurement, by its very nature, introduces a bias, by virtue of the environment chosen to define the metric

Several million dollars has been spent and it was NOT taxpayer''s money, either. We are beginning this coming week to grade for light behavior over 26,000 diamonds; round, princess and marquise for a sight-holder in India and an American retail chain client.

I am looking forward to seeing the correlation analysis of the grading results versus cutting. That is a lot of work.. I hope they share..

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Marty, the point of discussion is to argue over points which are meaningful. The BIAS issue of importance evolves around what the biggest client's of GIA might have wanted, or what the users of ISEE2 might wish to promote in a specific brand. The bias in a lighting model is something to question, but it is a different sort of bias since all diamonds measured with this equipment get the same lighting model. Of course, we feel that the lighting model gives a diamond a chance to act in a normal manner. All these years were not spent in the attempt to make measures in a weird or unusual lighting environment where our own eyes would see no correlation to the grade given. In fact, the opposite was done. Very well respected observers with expertise in diamond cut were polled on how what they saw correlated to the grading provided. These devices need to produce results that meet our visual expectations. In due course, people on the outside of this business enterprise will be free to make these judgments, too. If people disagree, then the attempt won't be successful, but if the eyes of dealers, retailers and consumers agree with the results, then we have a good and fair metric which is can be used to grade light performance.

The correlation of cut grade to actual performance is not a big problem as the terms of performance grading are rather logical.

Brilliance: a measure of a stone's overall strength of light return that represents its average light return in the face-up position. This measure is arrived at by computing the mean gray-scale value of all pixels within the face-up view of a diamond.

Sparkle: a measure of those spangle-like flashes of reflected and refracted light that gives diamonds what might be called "kick" or “life”. The greater the number of these flashes, the higher a stone's sparkle. This measure is arrived at by measuring the standard deviation in the gray-scale value of the light return within the face-up view of the diamond.

Intensity: a measure of the number and strength of contrasting light-dark areas in the face-up view of a diamond that give it vitality and character. One may call this “contrast”. Generally, the greater the stone's symmetry the higher its intensity will be. However, other types of less symmetric cut may score well on this scale as well. This measure is arrived at by calculating a ratio of bright pixels to the total number of pixels within the face-up view.

These three measures, when combined with very simple physical measures which indicate qualities of durability, finish, and spread (size), known as DFS, will give everyone involved the knowledge of performance and cut craftsmanship quality that the industry and consumers are wanting to know. With these metrics we can grade any shape of faceted diamond. It is not a big deal to introduce grading of standard fancy shapes or for differently faceted, Branded cuts. It is a fair system, in that it does not favor any cutter, seller or maker. It measures light based on simple metrics, not convoluted predictions from rounded off, questionable data with too many variables tossed in just to muddy the waters. The more variables measured, the less reliable the end result. The more machine error and rounding in the measure of variables, the greater yet the error or lack of meaning to the end result. We are not suffering from any of this predictive problem. We agree that predictive devices will aid cutters, but direct measures reduce the variables to a very few, allow rapid results and pretty much eliminate errors from rounding or machine error.

I also know that few people have seen this at work. There is bound to be doubt and questions. It is part of what must be expected and I have faith we will be able to show the light behavior system at upcoming trade events beginning with the March 5 to 7th JCK NY Invitational Show in NYC.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Belle

It behooves GIA to add the uncertainty of their metric positioning if the first case is true, which I suspect it is, since they have never published anything relating to assymmetry other than say they did it, but only data based on ''rounded'' averages and/or symmetrical stone models.

One does note the change in the GIA parametric ''definitions'' of their same test stones across the three G&G articles. Noteable is the rounding occuring from the Fire article to the last 2004 G&G article..

AGS uses the ''actual'' assymetrical stone scan (however errored) and doesn''t force symmetry into the process.
Good point Marty.
GIA have a Helium scanner.

Dear GIA Cut Study team, and G&G,

Please scan the stones in your collection and place the 3D scans in you data depository so that you can fully participate in peer review.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2006 3:38:22 PM
Author: Wink

Date: 2/18/2006 12:42:29 AM

Gary,

What are you saying here. What was the result and why did it make some one very very quiet?

This is a curious statement and it means nothing to me as you did not share the results versus the expected results or any of the information that would make it meaningful. Please share more.

Wink
Sorry Wink, I really wish I could - but it would betray confidences.
You know I would if I could.
Email all the people you ever met at Vegas who participate on this board from the trade and see if you can get them to share it.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2006 6:58:04 PM
Author: oldminer
Marty, the point of discussion is to argue over points which are meaningful. The BIAS issue of importance evolves around what the biggest client''s of GIA might have wanted, or what the users of ISEE2 might wish to promote in a specific brand. The bias in a lighting model is something to question, but it is a different sort of bias since all diamonds measured with this equipment get the same lighting model.

And as I have pointed out before and illustrated with the hemispherical angle lighting plots you can get different discrimination and results from different lighting model.

Of course, we feel that the lighting model gives a diamond a chance to act in a normal manner.

It would be nice if that could be defined

All these years were not spent in the attempt to make measures in a weird or unusual lighting environment where our own eyes would see no correlation to the grade given. In fact, the opposite was done. Very well respected observers with expertise in diamond cut were polled on how what they saw correlated to the grading provided.

So did GIA, and look what they wound up with..

These devices need to produce results that meet our visual expectations. In due course, people on the outside of this business enterprise will be free to make these judgments, too. If people disagree, then the attempt won''t be successful, but if the eyes of dealers, retailers and consumers agree with the results, then we have a good and fair metric which is can be used to grade light performance. Define what is being done, otherwise it is like the ISEE2; Voodoo for Jewelers

The correlation of cut grade to actual performance is not a big problem as the terms of performance grading are rather logical.

Brilliance: a measure of a stone''s overall strength of light return that represents its average light return in the face-up position. This measure is arrived at by computing the mean gray-scale value of all pixels within the face-up view of a diamond.

Diamonds are not always viewed in the faceup position, how many times do I have to state my position on that.. You are taking the same incorrect stance (in my opinion) as GIA, but at least you are measuring it ("it" being undefined), which eliminates some errors.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2006 10:58:29 PM

Good point Marty.
GIA have a Helium scanner.

Dear GIA Cut Study team, and G&G,

Please scan the stones in your collection and place the 3D scans in you data depository so that you can fully participate in peer review.
Great suggestion Gary
36.gif
Chances though, are slim and none, that it would be done.
32.gif

I think obsfucation and coverup is more likely, but I may be wrong. Things may be changing over there, but I sincerely doubt it.

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
RE: The correlation of cut grade to actual performance is not a big problem as the terms of performance grading are rather logical.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dave,
They may be logical to some people, but not to all. Sometimes I feel like the little pig in the brick house. Cut grading (rubric style of catagorizing) is not nearly precise enough to determine obvious cut differences from diamond to diamond. Add to this the fact that angle averages are used even adds to the sloppiness. Then add to this that the most important element of facet straightness is ignored puts such grading systems on shakier ground.

Performance grading in IMHO is itself on shakey ground. You already have performance sellers who quit selling a brand because of the non-correlation of what their customers see with their naked eye and the performance viewing machines.

My 28 years experience in the diamond industry as a cutter to retail seller and everything in between has taught me that the lay person is very capable of determining on their own what diamond looks good, but needs to be told which diamond is cut good.

It''s in stone: All diamonds that look good are not cut good. All diamonds that are cut good do not look good. Cut and Performance need to be separated.....just like a siamese twins.

Don''t underestimate the consumer....regardless of what level they are on. Anyone with eyesight can look at a diamond and form an opinion. It doesn''t matter to them if their opinion is the same as that of a viewing device, and this may well kill a sale. It''s the the work of the cutter that is the mystery to them, (and I have to say to many in the trade) and it''s the work of the cutter that needs to be related in simple terms between buyers and sellers.

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's in stone: All diamonds that look good are not cut good. All diamonds that are cut good do not look good. Cut and Performance need to be separated.....just like a Siamese twins

Bill: The way we grade cut is with separate light behavior and DFS grades. I agree that it takes both sufficient craftsmanship and excellent light performance to define what's best. Consumers are reasonably able to select a diamond with high light performance, but what they cannot generally see is the craftsmanship elements that may also be of long term importance, too.

I think that if we want a system which actually works, we need to get the face-up position of the diamond handled properly. Since diamonds tend to be cut very much alike, I don't think the tilted issue is something that needs to be graded. It follows that a diamond that performs to a high level face up will be among the best at 10 degrees tilt too. Then again, who is going to grade diamonds tilted away from their face-up view? Its a needless exercise and will make grading diamonds much more difficult. What we need is a useful, logical standard.

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
RE: The way we grade cut is with separate light behavior and DFS grades.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I''m sorry Dave, but I don''t understand this statement. Would you please explain it to me?

Bill

"The best theories are laid to rest by one insignificant fact".

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bill Bray, mayself and many others agree that grading of the best cut in diamonds requires two separate and distinct measures. The first measure is of Light Performance and the second measure is one that serves to define craftsmanship. The DFS grading which we do is fouind on www.gemappraisers.com and in some small way correlates with the AGA Cut Class grades of the past, but is used in a way to show a diamond has sufficient durability, good Finish (polish and symmetry) and also has a reasonable Size appearance, spread to depth relationship. We report light and DFS as separate grades. It takes the best of both to make the very best cut diamonds.

If one combined the two, it is conceivable we''d never find some unsual diamonds which look wonderful, yet have certain physical cut problems such as too shallow depth for great durability, overly deep ones which just look way small for their weight, or some other intersting and pretty combination of parameters where light looks great yet a certain craftsmanship issue may exist. Such stanges diamonds may prove excellent values in earrings, or as small enhancement stones.

Also, there are many diamonds which are reasonably well cut, yet perform only moderately well. Just using physical parameters screens for those which are not well crafted, but does nothing to eliminate the well cut, moderate performer from being overgraded or overpriced. The wide range of the old AGS 0 round is a perfect example of many diamonds being given 0 cut yet not really up to being the best because they were really too deep.

I hope this clears up your questions.

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Dave for explainin that. I agree with you 100% on certain points. The points about grading that I disagree with are these:

1. Physical cutting parameters are much more accurate in designating differences between stones than performance observations as long as the proper measurements are being taken, not averaged or unduly penalized.

2. Finish and durablility should be listed on a grading report but not within a cut anaylysis score/grade. The reason is that finish is sometimes out of the control of the cutter one, and two, if finish is concerned with the absence or presence of polishing lines, then you may have "performance" irregularities because the finish on a facet is more about attaining the best adamatine lustre rather than the absence of lines.

3. Durablility. I''ve stated this before in this forum. Two things about durablility. It''s a saleability factor more than a pricing factor. Why? Sharp edges/points are more and less significant depending upon the utilization of the diamond. Also, durability can''t be cherry picked i.e. take off for knife edge on one spot of a round brilliant''s girdle and not for a corner on a princess cut or a "no culet" on a premium cut stone.

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. Physical cutting parameters are much more accurate in designating differences between stones than performance observations as long as the proper measurements are being taken, not averaged or unduly penalized.

I can live with your statement about differences, but the devices like Sarin/Ogi are full of machine error, averaging, rounding, etc. Nothing is more accurate than a direct measure. A calculation based on corrupted data is pretty much a corrupted final product.

2. Finish and durablility should be listed on a grading report but not within a cut anaylysis score/grade. The reason is that finish is sometimes out of the control of the cutter one, and two, if finish is concerned with the absence or presence of polishing lines, then you may have "performance" irregularities because the finish on a facet is more about attaining the best adamatine lustre rather than the absence of lines.

Finish and durability are addressed by us separately from analsysis of light behavior. Theyare reported separately, too. If we have performance irregularities for any reason, this shows in light analysis. So long as we don''t neglect important data which alters the looks and suitability of a diamond, we have covered the bases. Where it is reported makes less difference than not reporting it or hiding it.

3. Durablility. I''ve stated this before in this forum. Two things about durablility. It''s a saleability factor more than a pricing factor. Why? Sharp edges/points are more and less significant depending upon the utilization of the diamond. Also, durability can''t be cherry picked i.e. take off for knife edge on one spot of a round brilliant''s girdle and not for a corner on a princess cut or a "no culet" on a premium cut stone.

You are right on this. We deduct for any zone on a diamond that falls below slightly thin. This covers thin corner points, or zones on the girlde of a round diamond. The "no culet" is a style issue with stones set rather high today, the no culet comment rarely leads to problems. I have to go with the AGS approach here and let the no culet issue be tabled for the moment. We both recognize it is a better thing to have a small culet, but we are in a minority here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results