shape
carat
color
clarity

Consigning with Grace?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I decided to keep my old e-ring. I had originally planned to sell it but I think secondhand jewelry is just not usually a very good deal to sell. So we decided to keep it as long as I had any use for it. Which I definitely do.

I plan to get it re-set and wear it as a RHR, which will be far nicer than any other RHR I own or plan to get anytime soon. Also, it might be nice to have it to possibly pass down, if one of my kids ever needs an e-ring stone.

I am clearing my jewelry box of things I no longer wear though and using that to help pay off the new ring instead. When I finish, I might be surprised and get nearly as much as I'd have gotten for the old e-ring anyway.

Just my thoughts. Good luck either way. :)

ETA: If you do decide to sell it, you could just put it on the free listing places and leave it there for a few months, a wait and see approach... You'd have to wait with a service too.

Last edited:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
If you want to use your current ring to boost the amount of your upgrade, then certainly try listing it yourself first. When you get a buyer, you can send the ring to Neil Beatty (appraiser). Then he will do an appraisal for the buyer that they pay for. Once they pay you, they can pay Neil for the shipping and appraisal and he will send the item to them. Or he has an escrow service with a fee that allows the payment to go to him and then he sends the payment to you. I have purchased something like this in the past and it was an excellent and inexpensive way to do it. But I also think consigning with a low fee works well, too, as the vendor handles the payment and shipping, too. You'd need to relist over and over on Loupetroop and on Pre-loved either way.

Oh shoot I wasn’t even thinking about that. If I sold and also waited I could get something really nice. I better sit on this because now my mind is going a million miles a minute and I need to streamline my thoughts before I throw a ton of options at my husband and overwhelm him.

Does Neil have a website? I’m not familiar with him.

I think your ring is classic and elegant. And a GIA XXX is going to make it more desirable too. I would absolutely post in pre-loved and loupe troop! Is the old listing still there?

Thank you. I took it down from Loupe Troop because I figured if I consign the person I consign it with would do all that work. I didn’t realize I needed to advertise for myself too. And then I was like, well now he said I can keep it so whatever... maybe I’ll repost to see if there’s traction while I figure life out.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I decided to keep my old e-ring. I had originally planned to sell it but I think secondhand jewelry is just not usually a very good deal to sell. So we decided to keep it as long as I had any use for it. Which I definitely do.

I plan to get it re-set and wear it as a RHR, which will be far nicer than any other RHR I own or plan to get anytime soon. Also, it might be nice to have it to pass down, if one of my kids ever needs an e-ring stone.

I am clearing my jewelry box of things I no longer wear though and using that to help pay off the new ring instead. When I finish, I might be surprised and get nearly as much as I'd have gotten for the old e-ring anyway.

Just my thoughts. Good luck either way. :)

ETA: If you do decide to sell it, you could just put it on the free listing places and leave it there for a few months, a wait and see approach... You'd have to wait with a service too.

I like this! I considered it too but I’m really a one ring finger kinda gal. I like to think I like variety but I really don’t.

But I agree with selling second hand jewelry. It’s nice to find some good deals, but it sucks to take such a huge loss on these things...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil Beaty has posted on your thread a couple of times on page 1, @denverappraiser. That is the safest way for an individual to sell directly without consignment. I highly recommend Neil, and he is a long time, respected member of the forum.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Neil Beaty has posted on your thread a couple of times on page 1, @denverappraiser. That is the safest way for an individual to sell directly without consignment. I highly recommend Neil, and he is a long time, respected member of the forum.

Oh! That’s embarrassing... Thank you for sharing!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s so weird... I thought that was the point of consignment? On her website Grace mentions all her followers and how you’re paying for her popularity as well.

If that’s it, I wonder if I should just try to sell privately? Or wait until I can upgrade without selling and either have 2 rings or turn my current one into something else....

If you look at the comments on Grace's IG, it looks to be mostly people who like to see pretty rings. Many of the more serious followers/potential buyers are Pricescopers anyway. Since many of us look at LT and Preloved here, it's always a good idea to advertise via these sites. Besides, if Grace can't be bothered to answer emails to initiate the sale, it doesn't really matter how much exposure you may or may not get or how "popular" she believes herself to be. At the end of the day, it's your piece to sell, so I feel like any extra exposure can only help, should you decide to sell in the future.

ETA: it's always better to sell privately if you can... eliminates fee, so better for buyer and seller alike.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you plan to sell yourself, I have observed that the quality of photography is a huge factor in determining whether a sale happens or not. You need to be able to share *very* detailed macro photography to give buyers confidence in making the purchase.

newdiamondworld

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to thread jack, but I couldn't find a review thread for her so I thought I'd ask here... Has anyone had a hard time getting paid after consigning with her? I sold a few items with her and I had to follow up MANY many times and wait for WEEKS. It was always blamed on something or someone. Just curious if it's just my luck or others have similar experiences

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to thread jack, but I couldn't find a review thread for her so I thought I'd ask here... Has anyone had a hard time getting paid after consigning with her? I sold a few items with her and I had to follow up MANY many times and wait for WEEKS. It was always blamed on something or someone. Just curious if it's just my luck or others have similar experiences

Only sold one thing with Grace but I didn’t have to wait weeks. IIRC for mine there was an issue with payment from the buyer (or change in payment… something about payment) and then I had to wait for shipping + the return period to end, plus there might have been a day or so in process time on their side. It wasn’t an instantaneous payment, but I got paid and wasn’t worried about it.

I got better response times reaching out to her team vs Grace herself and did have to resort to contacting her team to get updates and stuff at times. She must be super busy.

newdiamondworld

Shiny_Rock
Only sold one thing with Grace but I didn’t have to wait weeks. IIRC for mine there was an issue with payment from the buyer (or change in payment… something about payment) and then I had to wait for shipping + the return period to end, plus there might have been a day or so in process time on their side. It wasn’t an instantaneous payment, but I got paid and wasn’t worried about it.

I got better response times reaching out to her team vs Grace herself and did have to resort to contacting her team to get updates and stuff at times. She must be super busy.

the 10 day return period has passed long ago... and I'm being told 'tomorrow', but tomorrow never happens
every time I felt terrible asking for my own money

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
the 10 day return period has passed long ago... and I'm being told 'tomorrow', but tomorrow never happens

Hopefully someone else can provide more insight and help you out. Seems like a few PSers have used her services.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That sounds very fishy to me and I‘d insist they explain why you haven’t gotten your money and give them a date when you expect it.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

I would try texting or calling. Email seems to get lost at times, probably due to volume.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texting has always worked for me.

I got paid immediately, like she initiated payment the day the examination period was over and the sale was finalized. So my experience with Grace was super smooth.

obx_marina

Rough_Rock
I don't want to threadjack with a potentially off-topic comment, but I do want to share my recent experience w/ JbG from a buyer perspective for sellers who may be considering consigning:

I reached out to JbG on 9/17 about purchasing a setting. The listing stated it was only for the center stone but that the mounting was also available for separate purchase. Approximately two hours later, I got what I suspect is the canned response of thanks for your interest and we will get back to you in 48 hours. On 9/20, I received the response that the mounting was available, the price, and to let them know if I had any other questions.

A few hours later, I responded asking for some additional details/photos. I didn't hear back so I replied again on 9/23 with a friendly nudge. On 9/24, Grace responded saying that she would see about getting me more photos the following the week when her photographer was back in town and information on the stone.

I still have not heard back. Since then, the center stone has sold, and the listing has been updated to indicate that only the mounting is available for sale . If I was the seller consigning this piece, I would be upset to learn there was an interested buyer--who even followed up--that has yet to receive the info they requested to consider purchasing it. At this point, I have sadly given up, even though I love the setting and it's in my size.

Mods - if this is inappropriate, I apologize and please feel free to delete it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want to threadjack with a potentially off-topic comment, but I do want to share my recent experience w/ JbG from a buyer perspective for sellers who may be considering consigning:

I reached out to JbG on 9/17 about purchasing a setting. The listing stated it was only for the center stone but that the mounting was also available for separate purchase. Approximately two hours later, I got what I suspect is the canned response of thanks for your interest and we will get back to you in 48 hours. On 9/20, I received the response that the mounting was available, the price, and to let them know if I had any other questions.

A few hours later, I responded asking for some additional details/photos. I didn't hear back so I replied again on 9/23 with a friendly nudge. On 9/24, Grace responded saying that she would see about getting me more photos the following the week when her photographer was back in town and information on the stone.

I still have not heard back. Since then, the center stone has sold, and the listing has been updated to indicate that only the mounting is available for sale . If I was the seller consigning this piece, I would be upset to learn there was an interested buyer--who even followed up--that has yet to receive the info they requested to consider purchasing it. At this point, I have sadly given up, even though I love the setting and it's in my size.

Mods - if this is inappropriate, I apologize and please feel free to delete it.

I had a "sort of" similar experience with Grace... but from the consignor's POV. I sent her my original halo setting (no stone) to consign. I had someone interested in buying it, but they had contacted me via my Loupe Troop listing after I had already sent it to Grace. I explained to the buyer that Grace had it now, and gave her the information to contact Grace. I immediately messaged Grace to give her the heads up that I had a potential buyer. After about 2 weeks of back and forth with the buyer (who said she'd contacted Grace 3-4 times, but no answer), I reached out to Grace again for about the 4th-5th time, asking her to PLEASE acknowledge this buyer. The buyer was getting really frustrated, but she was willing to hang on for a little bit longer.

At that point, the lady said she definitely wanted the setting, but she needed to buy it soon (it was for her daughter, who she explained had seen it on PS Preloved, then on LT). Grace finally told me that my setting would be included in "the next week's listings", so I relayed that to the buyer. Guess what... it was not listed. I reached out to Grace again, explaining that I really needed for her to either list the setting or at the very least communicate with the buyer. I also told her that it didn't necessarily need to be listed, bc the lady was ready to buy. I was told that it would "definitely" be in the next week's listings. Another shocker - it was not.

The frustrated buyer contacted me and said that she was sorry, but she couldn't wait anymore... and I don't blame her. Grace gave every excuse in the book as to why it wasn't listed in the 3+ weeks she had my setting. However, there is no excuse for not communicating with the person that I had told her multiple times was ready to buy. Needless to say, I asked for my setting back. It took me another 4 years to sell my setting... and for much less than the original buyer had offered (which was my original asking price). I cannot in good conscience recommend that anyone consign with Grace. Her negligence cost me the sale of my setting, and there is zero excuse for her actions.

Last edited:

obx_marina

Rough_Rock
I had a "sort of" similar experience with Grace... but from the consignor's POV. I sent her my original halo setting (no stone) to consign. I had someone interested in buying it, but they had contacted me via my Loupe Troop listing after I had already sent it to Grace. I explained to the buyer that Grace had it now, and gave her the information to contact Grace. I immediately messaged Grace to give her the heads up that I had a potential buyer. After about 2 weeks of back and forth with the buyer (who said she'd contacted Grace 3-4 times, but no answer), I reached out to Grace again for about the 4th-5th time, asking her to PLEASE acknowledge this buyer. The buyer was getting really frustrated, but she was willing to hang on for a little bit longer.

At that point, the lady said she definitely wanted the setting, but she needed to buy it soon (it was for her daughter, who she explained had seen it on PS Preloved, then on LT). Grace finally told me that my setting would be included in "the next week's listings", so I relayed that to the buyer. Guess what... it was not listed. I reached out to Grace again, explaining that I really needed for her to either list the setting or at the very least communicate with the buyer. I also told her that it didn't necessarily need to be listed, bc the lady was ready to buy. I was told that it would "definitely" be in the next week's listings. Another shocker - it was not.

The frustrated buyer contacted me and said that she was sorry, but she couldn't wait anymore... and I don't blame her. Grace gave every excuse in the book as to why it wasn't listed in the 3+ weeks she had my setting. However, there is no excuse for not communicating with the person that I had told her multiple times was ready to buy. Needless to say, I asked for my setting back. It took me another 4 years to sell my setting... and for much less than the original buyer had offered (which was my original asking price). I cannot in good conscience recommend that anyone consign with Grace. Her negligence cost me the sale of my setting, and there is zero excuse for her actions.

This is such an unfortunate outcome and story. I wish I knew of a way to contact the seller of the piece I had been interested in directly. I just checked, and the mounting is still available for sale. I have not seen it listed anywhere else. If nothing else, I would at least forward my email communications so the seller learns of them. One would think, given JbG's cut of the profit, there would be a what's-in-it-for-me incentive when there are interested buyers, particularly in your case w/ a guaranteed sale.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such an unfortunate outcome and story. I wish I knew of a way to contact the seller of the piece I had been interested in directly. I just checked, and the mounting is still available for sale. I have not seen it listed anywhere else. If nothing else, I would at least forward my email communications so the seller learns of them. One would think, given JbG's cut of the profit, there would be a what's-in-it-for-me incentive when there are interested buyers, particularly in your case w/ a guaranteed sale.

I'm sorry. I understand your frustration. ::)

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@obx_marina and @msop04 Thanks for sharing. I contacted JBG hoping to consign a few items. Got the autobot notice that my email was received and I should hear in 48hrs. I’ve followed up a few times and haven’t heard anything. Based on your experiences I’m going to walk away.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@obx_marina and @msop04 Thanks for sharing. I contacted JBG hoping to consign a few items. Got the autobot notice that my email was received and I should hear in 48hrs. I’ve followed up a few times and haven’t heard anything. Based on your experiences I’m going to walk away.

Can't say that I blame you. Not one bit. Good luck with your sale, no matter who you choose to consign for you. :))

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I also had a disappointing experience. I was all set to consign my stone, had it unmounted & ready to go. I signed the contract & was about to send it out when someone reached out to me directly from my Preloved posting. Out of respect for my signed contract I let Grace's team know and asked if I was under any obligation or if there would be any fees. I probably didn't need to do that but felt like I should. Tried multiple emails over a period of time & no response. By the time I decided to move forward anyway my buyer had a change in their situation & backed out. Maybe that was stupidity on my part to even worry about the contract. But I would never try to work with her again because that just showed a general lack of consideration.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also had a disappointing experience. I was all set to consign my stone, had it unmounted & ready to go. I signed the contract & was about to send it out when someone reached out to me directly from my Preloved posting. Out of respect for my signed contract I let Grace's team know and asked if I was under any obligation or if there would be any fees. I probably didn't need to do that but felt like I should. Tried multiple emails over a period of time & no response. By the time I decided to move forward anyway my buyer had a change in their situation & backed out. Maybe that was stupidity on my part to even worry about the contract. But I would never try to work with her again because that just showed a general lack of consideration.

Yep... total lack of consideration. I'm so sorry. Did you ever sell your stone?

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the heads up, everyone. I have a few nicer pieces I was considering sending to JBG. I don’t think I’ll move forward with that. Service is #1, 2 & 3 in my book but sounds like it isn’t to the team at JBG.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I have had a smooth experience with Grace. I know experiences may vary.

I suggest reaching out by text and phone if you don't get a timely response as well. Email can be slow, so if you don't get a response, text or call is best in my experience.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results