shape
carat
color
clarity

Consigning with Grace?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’m really close to sending it over to Grace to selll my e-ring so I can upgrade.

I was gung-ho but wanted to get a second opinion as I’m having cold feet. My main concern is that the consignment fees are 20%. Plus I still need to pay for shipping there and need to pay to get my stuff back if it doesn’t sell within 18 months. And that it typically takes 6-12 months to sell...

Any opinions? Should I just bite the bullet and consign? I’m only considering this because the center stone was purchased through Zoara, who is now out of business.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erica at Loveaffairdiamonds consigns for WAYYYYYY cheaper fees. I've used her and been nothing but happy.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Erica at Loveaffairdiamonds consigns for WAYYYYYY cheaper fees. I've used her and been nothing but happy.

I emailed her but she never responded...

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Or just list it on LT, and give your pricescope name. I only sell on LT to PS'ers:)

I’ve posted, no interest. We were so close to buying through B2C instead of Zoara. I wish we did. :cry2:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have had several clients consign things with Grace and none have led to problems. JBG a reputable company. Not everything sells quickly (or at all), which is to be expected given the nature of the industry. 20% is a highly competitive rate but it's easy enough to shop her against competitors to see if you can get a better rate or a better service elsewhere. The problem is that consignment is full of traps because you don't really know what they're doing to try and sell. Like most things, not all salespeople are the same and the cheapest aren't usually the best. Don't shop purely for the cheapest commission.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I have had several clients consign things with Grace and none have led to problems. JBG a reputable company. Not everything sells quickly (or at all), which is to be expected given the nature of the industry. 20% is a highly competitive rate but it's easy enough to shop her against competitors to see if you can get a better rate or a better service elsewhere. The problem is that consignment is full of traps because you don't really know what they're doing to try and sell. Like most things, not all salespeople are the same and the cheapest aren't usually the best. Don't shop purely for the cheapest commission.

That’s fair. My biggest concern is it doesn’t sell and I’m out more money because I had to pay to ship it over, pay a fee to get it back, and pay for shipping back. I guess I’m just second guessing myself now.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s fair. My biggest concern is it doesn’t sell and I’m out more money because I had to pay to ship it over, pay a fee to get it back, and pay for shipping back. I guess I’m just second guessing myself now.

OP- just to assure you, Erica of Love Affair Diamonds is also VERY reputable- she has many clients here on PS, she just happens to not charge a 20% fee. What is the item in question? Is the value worth the cost of consigning?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
OP- just to assure you, Erica of Love Affair Diamonds is also VERY reputable- she has many clients here on PS, she just happens to not charge a 20% fee. What is the item in question? Is the value worth the cost of consigning?

It’s my engagement ring. It’s a 3 stone rings. Grace estimated that it could sell for $5100. My center stone is a K colored stone & it’s just a GIA triple ex. I’ve taken it to a couple vendors and they’ve pointed out these are negatives and have offered much less than what Grace thinks she can get.

I might bring this all to my husband and see if he’ll let me upgrade without selling first since that was his condition.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to see it!

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I have items consigned with Grace, so far so good. Sending the items over to her was easy and fair priced, but I can't give you my full opinion yet as my items have not sold. I think that you have to remember to price things competitively. I am lucky in that I do not have a timeframe in which to sell the items, and buying something new (in the works) is doable without selling.

That said, it's a long time to wait and wonder when things are on consignment! Don't forget that consigning is for 18 months, and that you would have to pay to pull your item early.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I have items consigned with Grace, so far so good. Sending the items over to her was easy and fair priced, but I can't give you my full opinion yet as my items have not sold. I think that you have to remember to price things competitively. I am lucky in that I do not have a timeframe in which to sell the items, and buying something new (in the works) is doable without selling.

That said, it's a long time to wait and wonder when things are on consignment! Don't forget that consigning is for 18 months, and that you would have to pay to pull your item early.

I’m still trying to figure out what’s fairly priced for the used market. I sold my wedding band for more than half off what I paid and my husband was not happy. He didn’t realize it’d be that much of a loss. I had my e-ring listed for less than the cost of the diamonds alone. I’ve has inquiries but no bites.

And yes I saw that! Which was why I’m starting to second guess. 18 months seems like a really long time to not have the ring or money.

I’m working on my husband. To see if he’ll just let me keep it. Taking a huge loss feels so sad.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I'd try calling Erica. She can sometimes not be great with email. Will the vendor you want to upgrade with give a credit as a partial trade in? I know sometimes that can be really low though.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree that Erica mentioned above also has a well-regarded company. In fact, she and Grace are former partners. There are others around here that do this but I don't like to name names unless someone else brings them up first (and often not even then).

Helping you price things at a level that actually sells but that doesn't leave too much money on the table is part of the value-add for a good consigner. This is part of what you're paying her/him for. Just be honest and explain your issues. FWIW, she doesn't want to work on it for 18months and then send it back any more than you do. Probably less.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I'd try calling Erica. She can sometimes not be great with email. Will the vendor you want to upgrade with give a credit as a partial trade in? I know sometimes that can be really low though.

It was low.

But we're good! My husband agreed I can keep my ring. I just have to wait a little longer to upgrade. Problem solved :geek2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was low.

But we're good! My husband agreed I can keep my ring. I just have to wait a little longer to upgrade. Problem solved :geek2:

Oh I’m so glad that worked out! I think your ring is so pretty. I would’ve been interested except I already have the centre stone and pear sides... haha waiting on the setting!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Oh I’m so glad that worked out! I think your ring is so pretty. I would’ve been interested except I already have the centre stone and pear sides... haha waiting on the setting!

I think laying out all the fees and how you need to pay to get it back still at the end is what helped that. We’ll see how this works out though because he thinks more than one enagagement type ring is too many.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can upgrade without selling it inmediately, you can always take your time to put it out there for the price you want. That could take a year too, but you can try peer to peer sites like loupetroop or even ebay so you can keep more of the sale. Selling anything preloved has a luck factor imho, the right person had to see it at the right time. Good luck!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would NOT consign with Grace...

Her lack of professionalism cost me what would have been the definite sale of my halo setting. A lady saw it on LT (it was for her daughter) when I first posted it, but backed off. Then she contacted me again about a week or so later and said that her daughter really wanted it and she was ready to buy. I had already sent it to Grace at that point, so I stupidly told her to email Grace and that she could take care of everything for us. Two weeks and several emails later (from BOTH OF US), the buyer gave up and bought something else. I am still trying to sell that setting.

I wish I had just sent it to Erica at LAD in the first place.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was low.

I'm glad you get to keep it... upgrades are exciting!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I would NOT consign with Grace...

Her lack of professionalism cost me what would have been the definite sale of my halo setting. A lady saw it on LT (it was for her daughter) when I first posted it, but backed off. Then she contacted me again about a week or so later and said that her daughter really wanted it and she was ready to buy. I had already sent it to Grace at that point, so I stupidly told her to email Grace and that she could take care of everything for us. Two weeks and several emails later (from BOTH OF US), the buyer gave up and bought something else. I am still trying to sell that setting.

I wish I had just sent it to Erica at LAD in the first place.

Yikes! I’m sorry that happpened.

Erica’s fees seem better, but she never responded to me so that never happened. I’ll just wait longer. I’m glad my husband changed his mind about selling.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@winnietucker I am glad you get to keep your ring. Should you decide later to consign, definitely do a search for experiences from any vendor on here, though it may be easier to use google and search for terms like ‘pricescope consignment’ or ‘pricescope customer service’+vendor names. I only suggest this because there are comments good and bad mixed into other threads that may give more of an idea of peoples’ experiences.

The experiences aren’t mine to share so I just suggest this to ensure you go in eyes-open & informed. :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes! I’m sorry that happpened.

Erica’s fees seem better, but she never responded to me so that never happened. I’ll just wait longer. I’m glad my husband changed his mind about selling.

Just call or DM on her IG page... I've had better luck doing that.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Just call or DM on her IG page... I've had better luck doing that.

Maybe I will do that. I double checked her fees again and it is less than I remember. Then I could also get my upgrade sooner :kiss2:

I’m going to drive my poor husband crazy...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you consign, I strongly encourage you to continue posting it on LoupeTroop and Pre-loved here. Because once it is consigned it won't get a lot of exposure from the vendors, especially vendors that carry hundreds of items. I'd go for the lowest fees and then keep posting it and put the vendor you've consigned with for the contact.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
If you consign, I strongly encourage you to continue posting it on LoupeTroop and Pre-loved here. Because once it is consigned it won't get a lot of exposure from the vendors, especially vendors that carry hundreds of items. I'd go for the lowest fees and then keep posting it and put the vendor you've consigned with for the contact.

Good advice, though I always feel weird doing this. It's like saying "here, look at me!!!". No wonder I'm a super introvert (even on-line) and could never work in sales!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

That’s so weird... I thought that was the point of consignment? On her website Grace mentions all her followers and how you’re paying for her popularity as well.

If that’s it, I wonder if I should just try to sell privately? Or wait until I can upgrade without selling and either have 2 rings or turn my current one into something else....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to use your current ring to boost the amount of your upgrade, then certainly try listing it yourself first. When you get a buyer, you can send the ring to Neil Beatty (appraiser). Then he will do an appraisal for the buyer that they pay for. Once they pay you, they can pay Neil for the shipping and appraisal and he will send the item to them. Or he has an escrow service with a fee that allows the payment to go to him and then he sends the payment to you. I have purchased something like this in the past and it was an excellent and inexpensive way to do it. But I also think consigning with a low fee works well, too, as the vendor handles the payment and shipping, too. You'd need to relist over and over on Loupetroop and on Pre-loved either way.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring is classic and elegant. And a GIA XXX is going to make it more desirable too. I would absolutely post in pre-loved and loupe troop! Is the old listing still there?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results