shape
carat
color
clarity

*CONSIDERING* a re-set! Opinions/advice welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
with wedding band
30.gif

127_2708%20(2).JPG

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
WOW, thanks! I forgot what a killer her ring was! WOWZA!

Those bands look reeeeally thin... less than 2mm, right? Didn''t she say 1.7 or so? I know I better not even TRY TO GO less than 2mm!!!

Keep the photos and ideas a''comin'', please!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah hers i think are like 1.7mm for the e-ring and 1.5 each for the bands or something like that. so thin! and her stone is a 2c.

anyway, i think that i''d be more gung ho about doing something like that (channel set pave style moreso than just hangingoutreadytofalloutpave style) with a 2mm or thinner band. i dont love the idea of fishtail pave or shared prong or anything like that with such a thing style unless the diamonds are VERY TINY to minimize problems. i just forsee too many issues with it. not sure if Kayla uses a US to clean her stuff too but i know she has had the rings for what, almost 2 years with no issues that we know of?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Lynn, this is so exciting!
36.gif
Your current setting is gorgeous, but hey, nothing like a little re-set to keep things fresh and new!

I really like the A Jaffe set that Mara posted, as well as Kayla''s knockout set. I think the way the diamonds are pave''d will make all the difference in the world. Similar to what Mara suggested, maybe putting the diamonds in a *very* subtle channel (not too much metal!) would give them security while allowing you to maintain minimal width? Putting channel set pave in the SI cleaner should be fine, I would imagine.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
How exciting for you Lynn - a new setting for that big beautiful diamond! Don''t rule out pave as being too delicate. I have three-sided bead-set micropave with milgrain on my three stone ring and it has held up just fine to everyday wear and to cleaning in the ultrasonic each week. I think it is simply important to get a well made setting and use common sense. Mine is a 3/4 eternity style which I like because of the ability to size. My band is about 2 mm and I like the size, but I certainly don''t think you would want to go any smaller with that bad boy of yours!!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! This is sooooo fun! Please keep it comin'.

I forgot to mention that I will definately be going the custom route with WF. But I'm still interested in seeing designer rings, etc., because I will probably end up using little pieces of several rings to create... *THE ONE*!

Sundial,
Could you post some photos of your ring(s) here for me? Thank you!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Here you go Lynn. It is a Hearts on Fire setting, but there are others like it. They make a three side pave band to go with it that is supposed to touch at the bottom so the diamonds do not rub, but I just wear it alone.

paveside21.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
One more view. I have not found this setting to be delicate at all.

sunhofpav.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love seeing your beautiful 3 stone again, Sundial!

Lynn, I see what you mean about the spinning problem. As a matter of fact. Issac at Dimend Scassi advised me against getting 1/2 eternity for that reason. So I guess it is good to hear verification of that. But like you, full eternity is a bit scary to me because of the sizing issue. So I can see whay you might want to go 3/4. Unfortunately for me, most of the stock diamond bands are either 1/2 or less or full eternity.

I''ll be anxious to see what you choose!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Alas, Vera Wang''s site doesn''t allow one to drag and drop designs (or at least I couldn''t)--but in her "bridal collection", #7 shows a very "thin" micropave ER and matching band....worth a look.....good luck!

www.verawang.com

cheers--Sharon

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I''m liking the fishtail pave ring!

Is it possible to maybe alter your set so the stones go 3/4 of the way?

I''ll be interested to see how you go with the reset - I''ve got my 1.56 rb sitting in my jewelry box since I got rid of the 3 sided pave and am itching to reset it as well!

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Oh Lynn!!! This post could NOT have come at a better time. It''s only been two years and I am getting board with my 3 stone ring.

My eldest son played baseball this afternoon so the baby and I strolled up and down Union Street / Chestnut Street in the Marina and went into every single jewelry store trying on all these different settings.

I''m so glad that I''m not alone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lynn I have always loved your set and the way the diamond sits in the prongs - reminds me of a champagne glass, and it sits so beautifully on the finger - yummy!
30.gif
30.gif
But I look forward to seeing what you choose!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Lynn,

Your present ring was my inspiration and the reason I decided to go with WF!!! It would almost be a shame to see that set be broken up.
32.gif
(just kidding)

I''m a huge fan of the ACA melee and I think you should keep that in mind when choosing your new setting. Will you satisfied if you have non-ideal melee in your new setting?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh Lorelei! Thanks for the note. xoxox!

Jelly, yes I would DEFINATELY go with the ACA melee again (I am a spoiled little diamond brat now!
2.gif
)... and probably no smaller than 2 pointers.

I do adore my set... but I just really want the small diamonds to go farther around the shank, and there's no way to do that without a total re-make... therefore, considering/investigating all options! But hey, who knows, maybe I'll get the exact same set, in 2 pointers, only 3/4 eternity!

You know how it is with us (self-professed) diamond-psychos!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2006 8:23:58 AM
Author: Lynn B
I do adore my set... but I just really want the small diamonds to go farther around the shank, and there''s no way to do that without a total re-make... therefore, considering/investigating all options! But hey, who knows, maybe I''ll get the exact same set, in 2 pointers, only 3/4 eternity!

You know how it is with us (self-professed) diamond-psychos!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
Lynn
sometime....don''t you feel sorry for hubby?. LOL...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
HAHA, DF! That''s the truth! And he''s not a guy like YOU -- he just doesn''t see too awful much value to these very expensive, very tiny, very old chunks of carbon!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
6.gif

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Ya know I kinda like this one best...wink...wink...
31.gif

My2ringspartII.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2006 4:41:15 PM
Author: Diam100
31.gif
Lynn,
Honestly, I think that you are going to go to a lot of trouble and expense to remake this and not really "gain" much in terms of creating a different "look". Also, I think that in a few years you will tire of the the whole "theme" and want something different. If I were you, I''d wear these for a few more years, then utilize your saved up "hall pass" with hubby to go into something completely different.
I completely understand what you mean about the little, most minute details that no one else would notice except for ourselves, as I have a few little things on my ring I would like to tweak but in the end no one would know the difference and I don''t think I''d "gain" enough to validate the trouble, time and expense (and wear and tear on dh!) to do so. I figure that for my 20th wedding anniversary in three years, it will be "time" to upgrade/update the whole composition -- setting and stone -- and I''ll just wait until then.
It is funny how when we get a new ring, we are so over the moon about it and it seems like it is the "ulimate" and that we''ve reached the "final" frontier, and that everything is so perfect -- then we wear it for a while and start scrutinizing the most craziest little elements!!! I am no exception to this, and it truly is a sickness. "Hi, my name is _____, and I like to drive myself (and my dh and my best friends) crazy with my jewelry obsession!!!"

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2006 5:53:45 PM
Author: Matatora
Lynn, Has WF had your ring this whole time since Jan?????

miss lynn, is there something else you''re not sharing with the group? what are you up to woman??

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/30/2006 5:46:10 PM
Author: headlight

Date: 4/30/2006 4:41:15 PM
Author: Diam100
31.gif
Lynn,
Honestly, I think that you are going to go to a lot of trouble and expense to remake this and not really ''gain'' much in terms of creating a different ''look''. Also, I think that in a few years you will tire of the the whole ''theme'' and want something different. If I were you, I''d wear these for a few more years, then utilize your saved up ''hall pass'' with hubby to go into something completely different.
I completely understand what you mean about the little, most minute details that no one else would notice except for ourselves, as I have a few little things on my ring I would like to tweak but in the end no one would know the difference and I don''t think I''d ''gain'' enough to validate the trouble, time and expense (and wear and tear on dh!) to do so. I figure that for my 20th wedding anniversary in three years, it will be ''time'' to upgrade/update the whole composition -- setting and stone -- and I''ll just wait until then.
It is funny how when we get a new ring, we are so over the moon about it and it seems like it is the ''ulimate'' and that we''ve reached the ''final'' frontier, and that everything is so perfect -- then we wear it for a while and start scrutinizing the most craziest little elements!!! I am no exception to this, and it truly is a sickness. ''Hi, my name is _____, and I like to drive myself (and my dh and my best friends) crazy with my jewelry obsession!!!''
I agree....why not get something - DIFFERENT ?? I''m not sure what you are mentioning would be that noticable!?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2006 5:53:45 PM
Author: Matatora
Lynn, Has WF had your ring this whole time since Jan?????

I''m lost - I don''t recall anywhere in her post where she said WF has had her ring since January!

Mat - do you know something we don''t?
33.gif
33.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2006 5:46:10 PM
Author: headlight
Lynn,
Honestly, I think that you are going to go to a lot of trouble and expense to remake this and not really ''gain'' much in terms of creating a different ''look''. Also, I think that in a few years you will tire of the the whole ''theme'' and want something different. If I were you, I''d wear these for a few more years, then utilize your saved up ''hall pass'' with hubby to go into something completely different.
I completely understand what you mean about the little, most minute details that no one else would notice except for ourselves, as I have a few little things on my ring I would like to tweak but in the end no one would know the difference and I don''t think I''d ''gain'' enough to validate the trouble, time and expense (and wear and tear on dh!) to do so. I figure that for my 20th wedding anniversary in three years, it will be ''time'' to upgrade/update the whole composition -- setting and stone -- and I''ll just wait until then.
It is funny how when we get a new ring, we are so over the moon about it and it seems like it is the ''ulimate'' and that we''ve reached the ''final'' frontier, and that everything is so perfect -- then we wear it for a while and start scrutinizing the most craziest little elements!!! I am no exception to this, and it truly is a sickness. ''Hi, my name is _____, and I like to drive myself (and my dh and my best friends) crazy with my jewelry obsession!!!''
I can''t help but agree. . . I know when the bug bites it bites BIG but it would seem that you would need to make a more noticeable difference to be worthwhile. Would you be able to sell your current set to offset the cost of a new set of rings? I am usually never the naysayer but in this case I don''t see anything substantial and your rings now are really pretty. . .

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to throw my 2 cents out there as well...
9.gif

I do love a big ole stone on a thin band. Sometimes I wish I had a really thick, substantial setting as well, but the look of a big rock on a thin band still makes my heart go pitter pat. However, I have to tell you, if you don''t want to be concerned about daily wear with your new set, DON''T get a teeny tiny 2 mm shared prong band. That is what I have (maybe a hair under 2mm) and I am always careful about banging my ring around. It requires a certain level of conscientiousness. Besides, the half of the ring that has no diamonds is 2 mm, but the shared prong part is less, because of the nature of the shared prong.

If you want the look, I do suggest something like Kayla''s rings or even the look of Albiocca''s Vera Wang wedding band. While her ering is shared prong *I think*, the wedding band has rims of metal on either side that are more ''protective'' of the ring.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why would WF have had Lynn's ring since Jan?? What an odd comment..

And Lynn, I can kinda get behind doing something really different other than something similar to what you have now, I fear that maybe you won't be as happy when it's all said and done if the change is not what you anticipated, aka large enough really make a huge difference.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hope Albi doesn''t mind me posting her beautiful wedding set...

Notice the very small difference in the shanks of the rings, but the wedding band does appear ''reinforced'' by the edges.

weddingset2loi.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2006 7:16:17 PM
Author: Mar

I agree with Mara. If you're not going to make a huge change have you considered *gulp* uhh..soldering them together so they stay lined up? I know many are not a big fan of soldering buy my original wedding set was soldered together. I never would wear just the band so it made sense for me. If you did that, then you could wear your Michael B band if you wanted a subtle look or no big rock on your finger. Then you could change the set when you are 100% sure, for a big change.

I do also agree with Firegoddess about maybe doing something like the Ritani or VW settings that are sorta channel set pave. they do seem to be less problematic and I pretty sure Kayla puts hers in the ultrasonic. That would be thin, like you're wanting and enough of a style change to make it worth it.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
No, WF hasn''t had my ring since January! I''d be a frothing, drooling lunatic if that were so. Well, OK, maybe I am already a LITTLE BIT of a frothing, drooling lunatic... but that doesn''t have anything to do with WF... or my rings!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

I really do so see what some of you guys are saying about going with something totally different, or just keeping what I have. You make a lot of sense and I appreciate your honest opinions and feedback. I guess I do feel like I have a "free hall pass" and by golly, it IS burning a hole in my pocket!

The only thing I can say about getting something similar is that it would be a sure thing that I would LOVE... almost-perfection tweaked to full-perfection! Yum!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results