flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JA TH 54/34.9/40.5

Under kitchen counter lights. Between two light sources

Diamond facing floor to ceiling window, overcast sky, rainy day

Lovemoresparkle

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I have learned a lot reading posts here on PS (love it all!) and I thought to share this link on AGS ideal diamonds and how they can differ. Very interesting and I saved myself spending the extra cash had a gone the Tiffany route... still lovely though ;-)
Enjoy the read: **edited by moderator. We do not allow affiliate links to be posted on the forum**

Last edited by a moderator:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an example of the fire I see in my ACA. Indoor lighting with yellow walls. Sorry for background noise. Watching Undoing.

Last edited:

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
JA TH 54/34.9/40.5

Mine is JA TH 54/34.9/40.6!

What is the size of your TH? :)

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock
JA TH 54/34.9/40.5

That is a GREAT visual for this conversation!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So fire & brightness is not the same? So confused

They are separate but related aspects of light performance.

Brightness can be thought of as the total volume of light return - a combination of white and colored sparkles.

Fire is the result of dispersion. Some white light rays returning to the eye get refracted and are 'fanned out' into their individual spectral colors resulting in colored sparkles. The extent that you can observe colored sparkles depends on the diamond, the light source, and the pupil of your eye at the moment of observation.

Metrics of fire in a diamond represent the "potential" or probability of seeing colored sparkles when conditions are right.

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Please keep sharing your observations. It is very interesting to read about. I think you will notice more about your stone as you own it longer, how it behaves.

It's been a little over a month and I've gotten to know my new diamond a lot better. So many of you were right! The new diamond is so very different in flavor than my original diamond and my eye was used to seeing things only one way. I saw the fire in my original diamond and passed over the dark center. As I've gotten used to my new diamond, I see the bright white sparkle throughout the stone. I also see the fire scattering across the surface - without the dark center. I am in love!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you are loving it! It does take time to get to ‘know’ a diamond!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been a little over a month and I've gotten to know my new diamond a lot better. So many of you were right! The new diamond is so very different in flavor than my original diamond and my eye was used to seeing things only one way. I saw the fire in my original diamond and passed over the dark center. As I've gotten used to my new diamond, I see the bright white sparkle throughout the stone. I also see the fire scattering across the surface - without the dark center. I am in love!

That's awesome! Sounds like you made the right choice then. Congratulations!

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock
It's been a few months so I wanted to provide an update. After becoming fully vaccinated, I've been out and about a lot more. Holy cow! My ACA is spectacular out in the wild.

To hopefully help others who are unsure about a new diamond, I wanted to report back on my observations of the last few months. I think a big problem for me was that, due to Covid, I was unable to see my new diamond in a variety of lighting.

Another factor was the length of time that I'd worn my original diamond. For decades, I loved that engagement ring and had a strong emotional attachment because it represented my marriage. And, like all things we love, I overlooked its flaws and quirks. I didn't see the color. I didn't see the dark center. I didn't see the lack of brilliance. The only thing I saw was fire - and the love of the guy who gave me the diamond. And I can still see those things and appreciate that diamond for all that it is. But, after a few months of getting to know my new ACA, I can appreciate it too. Honestly, I don't feel like I have to overlook any flaws or quirks.

I think that I will always have a soft spot for a steep / deep and the fire it can produce. But now that I have become familiar with a more balanced look, I wouldn't go back.

The advice from everyone in this thread was spot on. Diamonds can be beautiful in many different flavors. I am truly enjoying my new flavor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results