Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Confusion about fire in new ACA

vwbarb101

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I have learned a lot reading posts here on PS (love it all!) and I thought to share this link on AGS ideal diamonds and how they can differ. Very interesting and I saved myself spending the extra cash had a gone the Tiffany route... still lovely though ;-)
Enjoy the read: **edited by moderator. We do not allow affiliate links to be posted on the forum**

Last edited by a moderator:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an example of the fire I see in my ACA. Indoor lighting with yellow walls. Sorry for background noise. Watching Undoing.

Last edited:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So fire & brightness is not the same? So confused

They are separate but related aspects of light performance.

Brightness can be thought of as the total volume of light return - a combination of white and colored sparkles.

Fire is the result of dispersion. Some white light rays returning to the eye get refracted and are 'fanned out' into their individual spectral colors resulting in colored sparkles. The extent that you can observe colored sparkles depends on the diamond, the light source, and the pupil of your eye at the moment of observation.

Metrics of fire in a diamond represent the "potential" or probability of seeing colored sparkles when conditions are right.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Get the Look: Moira Rose
    Get the Look: Moira Rose
    Spic n' Span Sparkle - How to Clean and Protect your Jewelry
    Spic n' Span Sparkle - How to Clean and Protect your Jewelry
    January Birthstone 2021: Red Garnet
    January Birthstone 2021: Red Garnet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.