shape
carat
color
clarity

compliments on jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once when I was at a dog show someone grabbed my hand to look at the sapphire ring I was wearing. I was a little surprised but not worried because the person was about to take her dog into the show ring to be judged.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally responding to this thread...

I agree with KristyDarling wholeheartedly--the only time I have ever felt comfortable complimenting someone on their jewelry or e-ring, is if they seem open to it with their body language. I think you can tell (if you are willing to pay attention and not be all excited, lol) when someone is willing to be approached. Even with my girl friends who''ve become engaged, I''ve been very careful to wait until they want to "show" me their ring so I can admire it. I would hate to be one of those people who grabbed someone''s hand and droooled all over it, inciting various feelings of discomfort in the wearer! My best friend even, who was my MOH...when she got engaged I let her come to me, and she and I were outside the event her parents were hosting for her engagement and she asked me point blank, do you think it''s too big? It was a half carat in a halo setting in white gold, and it was absolutely gorgeous! I remember telling her, No, it''s definitely NEVER too big, and she asked me if I thought it looked fake! Of course I didn''t think it looked fake ( it really didn''t, she just wasn''t used to wearing diamonds and it had been a total surprise), and I am glad to say I got the chance to respond honestly that it didn''t.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Uhoh, I might have offened some people without realizing it. If I see something nice, I will remark on how elegant or fresh it is. So far, no one has pulled away, but I have heard neat stories about family pieces, and which local jewelers to use or avoid. Might be the area though, I live in a somewhat rural one. Store clerks and servers who must wear uniforms seems the happiest when you notice a detail of their own style shining through.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2006 5:17:59 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Sometimes I feel uncomfortable because for my age it is a very nice size stone. It makes me feel spoiled. However, I must be in the minority because I don''t mind when people ask the size. It is something we ALL wonder so why not ask? I tell them but that is all the information I offer. People have asked the cost and I lie and say I don''t know.
I feel the same way. I feel as though people are merely thinking how are YOU that young to wear something so nice. My old boss made me feel this way, and I hated it! I came back Monday morning all newly engaged for a day - and the first thing out of his mouth was "Wow, what does HE do for a living????" I lie about the cost too - they do not need to know the cost? Very snoopy/balzy people in this world....
11.gif

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I both give and receive compliments!
I too am a lefty, so salespeople see my ring when I sign cc slips, etc.

Once when I was at a friend''s party in a bar outside of my hometown, not long after I got married- so my friend, her mom and her friends that I knew were checking out my ring. Towards the end of the night I went to get another beer or tip the bartenders and they complimented my ring- my husband was there and they complimented him, and it was funny- but slightly odd. At least he was there to take credit for it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2006 12:46:46 PM
Author: Rosebud8506
Date: 9/3/2006 5:17:59 PM

Sometimes I feel uncomfortable because for my age it is a very nice size stone. It makes me feel spoiled. However, I must be in the minority because I don''t mind when people ask the size. It is something we ALL wonder so why not ask? I tell them but that is all the information I offer. People have asked the cost and I lie and say I don''t know.

I feel the same way. I feel as though people are merely thinking how are YOU that young to wear something so nice. My old boss made me feel this way, and I hated it! I came back Monday morning all newly engaged for a day - and the first thing out of his mouth was ''Wow, what does HE do for a living????'' I lie about the cost too - they do not need to know the cost? Very snoopy/balzy people in this world....
11.gif

Arg! People ALWAYS ask me what he does for a living. I hate it. One guy was asking me about the clarity, the color, I am surprised he did not ask to see the apprasial papers. I thought that was pretty excessive. I kind of wonder if people think it might be fake b/c I look so young as well. But no matter what people do notice it.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm. Ditto on the body language; I usually say something along the lines of "What a lovely ring! May I ask if you are engaged?" (usually this is a giveaway if they are wearing a solitare on their left, but I always ask-- they could be married and just taking their baby for a spin without the band
2.gif
) and that usually prompts a "Yes" and I congratulate them. The response has always been happy and positive and they usually stick out their hand so their ring can be admired. I never, EVER touch, though. Ew. It wouldn''t occur to me to touch the hand of a stranger.

I''ve noticed they always comment/ask about my promise ring, so I wonder if they instinctively check out to see if I am a fellow fiancee, and then feel less awkward answering? I''ve never gotten a miffed vibe from anyone, but again I don''t bother saying anything if they don''t seem receptive.

This is a bit of a hijack, but I''ve been offended by someone asking me if I was engaged-- because she immediately asked how old I was in a VERY dissaproving tone, and when I said "25... at least for another month, and I''m milking my mid-twenties for all they''re worth!" she said: "Oh. I thought you were like 18, and was going to tell you to wait."
23.gif
And in a very patronizing tone! I asked how old she was, and she said 26.
29.gif

I was very offended, actually. It would never occur to me to openly criticize a stranger''s decison to get engaged, regardless of how old I though they were! What business of is it of mine, or hers?!

I guess we should take it as a compliment, right qtiekiki?
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2006 10:46:23 PM
Author: Galateia

This is a bit of a hijack, but I''ve been offended by someone asking me if I was engaged-- because she immediately asked how old I was in a VERY dissaproving tone, and when I said ''25... at least for another month, and I''m milking my mid-twenties for all they''re worth!'' she said: ''Oh. I thought you were like 18, and was going to tell you to wait.''
23.gif
And in a very patronizing tone! I asked how old she was, and she said 26.
29.gif

I was very offended, actually. It would never occur to me to openly criticize a stranger''s decison to get engaged, regardless of how old I though they were! What business of is it of mine, or hers?!

I guess we should take it as a compliment, right qtiekiki?
2.gif

You are so funny. I am 26 and could easily pass for 16-20 (easy) and you know what? I like it
9.gif
I could easily be offended but I have made a decision to accept it and enjoy looking younger. Try and force youself next time. You might surprise yourself.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
People usually think I am a lot younger than I am, which I think is nice and will save me from having too much surgery which I am afraid to do anyway. I have been out with my kids and people think I am the babysitter if I am casual and not wearing much jewelry. I think that I look approachable most of the time so people seem to like to compliment my stuff, which overall is flattering and very nice...but one can get the creepy vibe once in a while too...

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/20/2006 12:46:19 AM

You are so funny. I am 26 and could easily pass for 16-20 (easy) and you know what? I like it
9.gif
I could easily be offended but I have made a decision to accept it and enjoy looking younger. Try and force youself next time. You might surprise yourself.

Actually, I do take it as a compliment when people think I am younger than I am-- I tell them my mother was carded until she was 35. (And the age of majority up here is 19!) That wasn't what bothered me; I look forward to many years of of barely aging.
36.gif

In this case I was offended because she was intent on, ahem, 'dissing' my engagement because of my supposed age. I felt it was classless and rude. If I saw a very young girl wearing an e-ring, and did think "Yow! Wait a bit, honey!" I would never ever say so. That's what irked me, you know what I mean?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
You should have told her you were 17. And then paused and added, "GOSH, I sure hope we can plan the wedding before the baby is born!". Then look at her reaction. A stupid question deserves a stupid response :)

I never assume someones age. I am 37 and the other day I was paying for my haircut at a salon I go to regularly so the receptionist knows my face. My husband called at that moment and I told him to make sure the kids got their homework done before he went out with them. Her jaw dropped and she looked at me and said, Kids? Homework? You are old enought to have kids who do homework? I smiled and said yes! She asked how many and I said 4. Her jaw dropped and she said, Wow, did you start at 18 or something? I said, nope I had my first at 27. At that point she said, how old are you? I said how old do you think I am?? I said, well I always assumed mid 20s She was floored I am 37. It TOTALLY made my day!!

And when I was pregnant with my first, A new hire at our office saw I had on wedding ring and engagment ring and asked if I was married. I said yes. I had gotten married and then pregnant 7 months later was 26 at the time and not showing yet but I was 15 weeks along. She was about 40ish and went on a long monologue about not having kids until I was at least 30 and had been married for at least 5 years. She went on and on about how it would be the biggest mistake of my life to get pregnant too soon and it would ruin my marriage and my youth and I would always regret it. When she was done I looked at her and said, "I guess I should not invite you to my babyshow then" and walked away. I was SO pissed off and hormonal she was lucky I did not throw something at her. The secretary and another manager ( I was a magager in the office as well) witnessed it and were trying not to laugh as she stuck her foot in her mouth. The best part- I outranked that woman!!

Sorry to get way off topic but the making assumptions about age etc jogged some memories :)

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure when I was 25 I wouldn''t have liked being mistaken for a teenager, but now that I''m 35 . . . bring it on! I haven''t been mistaken for 18 lately, but people often think I''m younger than I am, at least when my kids aren''t with me--I DID start early (married at 19, first baby at 21
6.gif
), so when they''re around it''s kind of hard to hide.
1.gif

On a slightly-related-but-not-really note, I don''t get trying to hide your age or pretend you''re younger than you are. I mean, if I go around saying I''m 29, eventually people start to think "whoa, she doesn''t look so good for her age!" I''m like "yeah, I''m 35 and I look pretty darn good if I do say so myself!"

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I''m 32, had my daughter at 19. I have heard everything from 25-40 in the past year. Wear sunblock, eat more veggies, drink more water, and get enough sleep LOL

FWIW, everytime I have tried to go wedding dress shopping my age+my dress size (18) land me in the MOB section. After 4 stores of this treatment, I gave up and got my gown on Ebay. No nasty sniffing about having to order early enough to get a dress "in your size".

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2006 7:44:20 PM
Author: Christa
I''m sure when I was 25 I wouldn''t have liked being mistaken for a teenager

Why not? I think it is so funny.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I were in Cape Cod at a nice hotel in Chatham two years ago on our anniversary. I had on a nice black summery dress and my hubby had on a jacket since we were in the more formal restaurant in the hotel. I did not have a ton of make up on, just lip gloss, and my hair was slicked back in a nice pony tail. Hubby ordered a vodka tonic and I asked for a glass of wine. The waiter looked at me and said "You do not look old enough to drink. May I see some id please?" I almost choked laughing and told him I was going to be 39 on my next birthday and had three kids. He looked doubtful and I had to tell him my birth year because I did not have my id with me. It was pretty funny and my dh still teases me about it...

BeJeweled

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I''m new here, but I''ve always been into jewelry, so I wanted to answer your question.

I''ve found, to my disappointment, that I don''t actually get a lot of compliments from strangers on my jewelry, and I have some very nice pieces. I love jewelry; I''m an artist and I''ve always been interested in gems and minerals, so I appreciate a wide variety of jewlery, from extremely high-end gemstones to original, handmade pieces, to simply interesting-for-some-reason pieces.

I''m not a big "talking to strangers" person either, but, for some reason, I''m usually quick to compliment and notice another woman''s jewelry. If I know or work with the woman closely, I may even venture to ask if I can try it on--but only if I know the woman and she is in a safe, comfortable place. I wouldn''t mind AT ALL if someone I knew asked to try something of mine on; I think it''s fun. My girlfriends and I often go to each other''s houses and try on each other''s jewlery and clothes, making outfits for each other.

I''ve read about Elizabeth Taylor''s fantastic collection of jewlery. She would often take the Krupp diamond ring off her finger and invite the women who complimented it to try it on, even if she didn''t know them! I thought that was pretty cool of her. Oh, I''d try THAT ring on, to be sure. Where else would I get the chance to try a gem like that on? ;-)

BeJeweled

Rough_Rock
By the way...since you were all discussing age, et cetera...

I''m 41 and I still get carded. I walked into a liquor store last year and the man behind the counter told me my ID was fake. LOL. When I convinced him I was indeed 40 (at that time), he was shocked, saying he thought I was 16.

I smoke (but not for too much longer), and I always get carded for cigarettes.

My secret? Sun block. I''ve worn serious sunblock every day since I was about 19. Oh, it works. ;-)

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
A clerk at Williams-Sonoma complimented my e-ring yesterday, and for some reason, it made me uncomfortable. She had an e-ring and w-band on her left hand. She also had a Tiffany Atlas ring with diamonds on her right hand. I really was craning to get a better view of her rings, which maybe is why I was surprised by her compliment to me (?).

It''s weird how so many of us here like jewelry and diamonds, but become uncomfortable about people noticing or commenting on them.

I usually always notice other women''s jewelry, but seldom comment on it. For example, my husband and I went to Destin, FL for vacation at the end of August, and a lot of the shop owners there had big diamond rings. Beautiful rings, but I didn''t comment to any of the women that I liked them. I guess I am just a silent admirer. So Cind, maybe that is why you don''t get that many comments on your jewelry? Other people probably notice it, but are just trying to be unobtrusive in their noticing it.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
This thread is so timely. I just went to an NFL game (where, incidentally, the lighting is fabulous!) and a woman 10 rows in front stopped and said as she was leaving the game "He must love you a great deal, I could see your ring all the way from my seat". Totally out of nowhere, it left me slightly confused but smiling.

And now that I think about it, the first preseason game I went to, an older woman who has the season tickets behind us noticed right away that we had gotten engaged, and complimented us on our engagement and commented specifically on the ring.

Thankfully, neither tried to touch it! There must be something super fantabulous about the lighting in the dome.

In general the compliments I''ve received shake me out of the ''routine'' where my mind thinks that my ring is just normal or ordinary, and makes me remember how incredibly lucky I am to have a fabulous fiancee who let me select it! I have yet to have a really awkward, uncomplimentary or patently insincere ring experience, so we''ll see if my opinion changes once someone throws me for a loop...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the age topic:
My MIL and I were visiting her mother (DH''s grandma) at her nursing home. There was another lady there (maybe around 50) visiting her mom. Well she actually asked me what grade I was in!
20.gif
32.gif
GRADE!!!! I agree I look young but that is crazy. I told her I was 26.

Ring compliments:
The same day my MIL and I stopped at Old Navy. We were in line and the cashier told the woman in front of my MIL she had to sign the screen (she must have been delaying but we weren''t paying attention) she said "sorry I was just looking at her ring. It is beautiful." My MIL wasn''t wearing her''s so I knew she was talking to me. She looked embarrassed that she was "caught" but I just said "thank you."

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I fully admit to leaving a bigger tip to any waitress who compliments my ring! I may have to revisit that policy though as I'm spending too much!
2.gif
I love it! When I ride the commuter train, I sit next to the window just to watch the sun play with it and since I ride it every day, most people noticed that it was new. My HR director actually called me into her office one day and I was freaking out until she said "I just had to see what blinded me in the staff meeting this morning!" So yeah, I love compliments!

I notice jewelry as well but usually look at the body language of the wearer before I say anything.

And I get carded all the time because I have a "baby face". I was out in WV with some girlfriends attending the "first Fridays" downtown event where the shopkeepers give wine to customers and nobody offered me a glass until I mentioned to a friend that I'd gotten carded somewhere and thought it was funny... I guess they were taking their cue from my conversation but I finally got a glass. That same night, at dinner, I ordered a glass of wine and the waitress said she thought I was 15. I laughed and said, "NO! I'm 29!!!" My friends are several years older than me and were whining about not getting carded. Everytime I get annoyed they remind me that it's actually a GOOD thing!

Oh, and I got carded at a wedding two months ago! SERIOUSLY! Good thing I'd brought my id! It was at our resort so I'd thought about leaving my wallet in the room.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I only get comments/compliments from people I know. Most were "your ring is really beautiful", and I got two "it''s huge" in a not exactly positive way. I''m pretty sure most of my family thinks it''s way too big for my age and my FI''s income. I''ve obviously been badly contaminated by PS because I think "Come on, it''s just half a carat!" when in fact, the only diamond bigger than .25ct I''ve seen in my area that was not owned by a woman over 40 and/or very wealthy was allycat''s 1.3ct! Meeting her was so much fun btw, I''d never gotten so many compliments on my ring from one person before! She''s such a sweetie.
9.gif

I got a compliment on it from a stranger only once, and it kind of disturbed me. I was on my way to class when this girl grabbed my hand, put her fingers on my ring and started gushing over it. She asked me how big it was, how much it cost, and said my FI must be rich (
33.gif
), and I just said I didn''t know any details. I don''t think it was any of her business.
11.gif

I''m not getting much comments over my age either. For some reason people usually assume I''m about three years older than I am... It was fun when I was a teen, but I''m starting to hope that the situation will reverse itself!
26.gif
I''m still young at 21, but still! When I was asked what the rush was once, I told them that my FI is religious and I recently have reconciled with my religious faith again with his help, so it was right for us according to our values and convinctions.

JASUSANG

Rough_Rock
I occasionally get compliments on my engagement ring, which is a .75ct VS-SI, G-H color round diamond and has two .33ct mozambique garnets on either side of it, set in an unusual antique style setting in 14kt WG. The diamond is set in what looks like a what my husband calls a "dogwood petal" with 4 prongs holding it securely. People have complimented my engagement ring and said it was very unusual to see the combination of the garnets/diamond in 14kt WG. My wedding band matches the engagement ring, but it''s strictly diamonds which are "invisible set." 4 diamonds set invisibly to appear as one stone, which gives the appearance of 3 large diamonds....until you look a little closer at it. I frequently get compliments on my spessartite garnet ring and people ask what kind of stone it is. And when I have worn my hessonite dangle earrings, I''ve caught people starring at my ear lobes, they don''t say anything, they just look, which naturally makes me a little uncomfortable.

My mother has given me loads of jewelry. Picture jasper, amber, moonstone, emerald, lapis, amethyst, imperial hessonite, etc... rings that the stones are so huge, they look almost gawdy on my hands I am ashamed to say. They are a little too big to wear on my fingers because of the size of the stones. She does not usually purchase gemstone rings unless they are 5ct +. But they are really pretty rocks I have to say.

But always, always, I say thank you when I receive a compliment and of course boringly tell people about what the stone is and all whenever they ask.
1.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
I love to watch people, and I love to see what jewelry they are wearing for the day!

If the situation is comfortable, and I am interacting with someone, I will definately give a well deserved compliment on a fine piece of jewelry!

In my profession, I see many people aday, and I also work with my hands, talk with my hands, and do get compliments on my jewelry. I try not to wear too much since it is a hospital, usually only one RHR at a time, and of course my wedding set. Sometimes earrings, and very,very seldom a necklace, due to safety reasons.

I am very flattered when I do receive a compliment, and I always thank them for noticing and enjoying my "fun" "spaklie" side!

It is somewhat amuzing to me when I am trying to explain to a patient, again usually talking or showing with my hands, and they are nodding and saying yes, uuh huh ... all the same while their eyes are darting here and there trying to get a better glimps, sometimes I chuckle and just put my hands down, I watch their eyes follow it, and then they realize that I have stoped talking and am smiling at them, and that''s when they appologize for staring at my beautiful sparklie ering/ and wedding set! I always keep smiling and say it''s ok, and start to explain what I need for them to be doing or going to be doing ... Sometimes I have to repeat myself a couple of times, but the second time around I usually put my hands away, so that I really have their undivided attention.

I actually was very flattered last week. A very well kept and poised older lady walked over to the desk I was at, and she said "Good afternoon, I just wanted to comment on your beautiful wedding set. I have been admiring it from across the room, and just had to share in it''s beauty and the joy it must bring you." I was like ... WOW! I looked at her hands briefly, winked and said, "Well, it looks like you enjoy beautiful sparklies like I do!" She had a gorgeous 3+ ct RB with and eternity wedding band must have been about 2ctw ... very drool-worthy! And she wore gorgeous pearl and diamond earrings and necklace ... oh so yummy! She definately was a very elegant woman!

Have a great day!
35.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I get complimented from time to time by strangers or new acquaintances. My heirloom diamond doesn''t have a great cut, so I attribute it to the yellow gold looking good with my skin tone and how clean and sparkly I keep my stones. :)

Maybe people don''t notice bling as much anymore because so many people are sporting QVC and HSN look-alikes. It''s hard to know what''s real these days.

Long story, but DH''s mother went off the deep end a few years ago and married her prison ministry penpal (17 years her junior, barely plea-bargained out of a rape charge, went after two separate women) while still in prison. We won''t meet him, but we see her for occasional tense visits. Last time she kept holding her hand to her face and waving her hand about, palm in. Of course I noticed the new diamond ring on her finger, but I didn''t bring it up. It was obviously fake anway (yellow gold prongs around the center stone are usually a clue), but her waving was so energetic that even DH noticed and asked her about it. She was just using it to suggest we meet her felon. She admitted it was fake, but said the felon has promised to give her an engagement ring for their 5 year anniversary in 2009 (see, after a year of unemployment, he finally started working when FIL stopped paying the mortgage, so I guess 5 years is as soon as he can get his act together), when they''ll renew their vows (probably not in a prison this time). She said they''d do it sooner if we would meet him, hint, hint. This is the man who crashed the bridal shower MIL threw me and who wrote me a creepy email a la David Koresh afterwards, telling me he wished he could erase MIL''s memory of me and her sons, how I wasn''t winning the game I was playing, how God would judge me one day, etc. Last visit she admitted that he "has a temper" and is "immature" -- so why won''t we meet him again?

Anyway, back to me and my bling (my new approach to MIL is total uninvolvement -- I don''t answer when she calls, suggest we invite her over, nothing -- if DH arranges something, fine, but his coping mechanism is avoidance so we mostly have month long periods of peace with no contact). In France this summer the cashier in a store had a lovely diamond band (remember, this is when diamond bands were on my brain), so I pointed it out to DH who translated to the cashier. He didn''t know how to say "wedding ring" so it took a little doing. She then complimented my diamond and stuck her finger on it. I guess it was my fault because I had brought rings up to begin with.

The greatest compliment on jewelry I ever received was on the dainty eBay promise ring my DH got me in college. It had about a 0.17 ct center stone, maybe 0.21 ctw with three tiny side stones on either side. One of my friends was insanely obsessed with it. Every time I saw her, I took it off and she wore it around happily. She said it was *exactly* what she wanted for her engagement ring. I said something like, "Oh, maybe you could get something similar made with a 1/4 ct. stone." She said, no, this ring was exactly perfect. Too bad I lost touch with her. I think it''s sweet to save my promise ring in case I ever have a daughter, but my friend''s love for the ring was so intense, I''d just as soon give it to her (save for the sentimental value, of course).

I''m attaching a pic of the promise ring next to my wedding set.

comparisonoct9.jpg

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I got a compliment only once in my life. (PS GTGs don''t count.) It was when I was at my bank making a deposit and I had to switch tellers for whatever reason. So I walk to the other teller, and the first one runs after me and saids loudly, "you''re not going to walk off with my pen are you?!?!" I looked at her silently and handed it back to her. I was still in the middle of 5 transactions with the second teller, so I was nowhere near leaving. And before she took her pen back, she said "oh, and I love your ring."

Hm. Was that a genuine compliment or an effort to try to make up for her rude behavior earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results