shape
carat
color
clarity

compliments on jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious as to whether you receive a lot of compliments on your jewelry. I buy my jewelry because I like it not to please others. However, I find that people just don''t seem to notice much what I''m wearing jewelry wise or if they do, they make no comment. I really only have one friend who is very complimentary. For example, she is the only one who has ever commented on my 3 ctw. tennis bracelet from Whiteflash which seems pretty eyecatching to me. I think I have some very nice and unique pieces and sometimes it gets discouraging that no one seems to notice. So I just wondered what your experience is?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe it is just where I live but I get compliments on my wedding set almost daily from mostly strangers. Maybe it is because it is uncommon. ECs and sapphires are not that common here. I wouldn''t take it personally. I am sure your jewelry is stunning and as long as you are happy with it that is really all that matters. If you need a boast just post some on here! The compliments will come fast and plenty.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do tend to get a lot of compliments, also because the size of my diamond is unheard of here! When I was at my vets the other week, one of the ladies was drooling over my ring, because as I was writing a cheque it was flashing fireballs all over the place! She loved it and I love it too when I get comps!
16.gif
She couldn't believe there was so much to buying a diamond
6.gif

Cindi, I wouldn't be too concerned - I think people probably notice your jewellery alright, but maybe don't think of complimenting you unless they know you well.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I always wish people would comment, too, but then I usually just admire other people''s stuff from afar instead of commenting on it. I''m not sure why . . . maybe I need to start speaking up more myself.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I get complements a lot and it makes me uncomfortable. For that reason I don''t comment on strangers jewlery. I notice it for sure, but unless I know the person, I won''t comment on it.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 9/3/2006 12:32:12 AM
Author: asscherisme
I get complements a lot and it makes me uncomfortable. For that reason I don''t comment on strangers jewlery. I notice it for sure, but unless I know the person, I won''t comment on it.
Hmmm, now that makes me hesitate all over again! I usually assume people are like me and would love for anyone to notice their pretties.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I generally do not mind, but it really depends where I am. I have a fairly large ring and band, and I am left handed, so when I sign my credit card slip people notice my ring. I had a guy in a sunglass store in the mall scream out "Oh my god! How big is THAT?" And of course everyone looked over at me. It was a bit uncomfortable. If I am alone and it is evening I have to say I do get a bit wary, but I love my ring and do want to wear it. Usually I just say thanks and change the subject, because I have been asked how big, where did I get it and how much it cost. I would never answer a price question from a stranger, but do not mind tellng people it was not my first ring etc...

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
That''s interesting that some may be uncomfortable with a compliment. And I certainly can''t imagine asking someone how big or what was the cost of the ring. Seems quite tacky, especially the cost question. I guess when I started this read I wasn''t necessarily referring to just engagement rings, I meant other pieces too like RHR''s, bracelets and pendants.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that one just gets the most notice. I do get a lot of compliments on my hello kitty pendant, and I love it. It is a real conversation piece. Even guys notice it, because they might have daughters who like it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I get more compliments on my more modest pieces of jewelry than I do on the blingier ones. Go figure.

(Yesterday I was at the airport and noticed a beautiful diamond ring on an older lady (my age) standing next to me. I wanted to comment on it, but worried that she might think I was a mugger or something...so I didn''t.)

Maybe that''s why blingier stuff doesn''t get complimented on too often...

widget

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes I feel uncomfortable because for my age it is a very nice size stone. It makes me feel spoiled. However, I must be in the minority because I don''t mind when people ask the size. It is something we ALL wonder so why not ask? I tell them but that is all the information I offer. People have asked the cost and I lie and say I don''t know.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know exactly what diamondfan means about signing the credit card slip! That is usually when I get compliments on my original e-ring as well. We pay for everything on a card with points and pay it off at the end of the month. So I am signing a slip every time I buy something. This diamond is only a carat, and that was one reason I was hesitant to go with the 1.63 for the new ring. Of course, I did adjust to that idea! However the next time I feel awkward about it, I''ll think of diamondfan and then I''ll realize it isn''t such a big problem for me!
2.gif

But Cind, I can relate to not getting compliments on other jewelry. I guess a lot of women just don''t care about jewelry. But I think you''ll definitely get compliments on your new ring because it is so beautiful and uncommon! And you can always show us your things..we love to see it all!

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am into sapphires and since most of the general public knows little of them, I don''t get many remarks. Honestly, I''m fine with it and prefer it that way. I do get lots of compliments at jewelry stores/shows and since I''m usually scoping out my next purchase :), that happens often enough. BTW, I had a 3.5 ct. tennis bracelet and the only ones who noticed were the women in my family, who love jewelry as much as I do.

But as far as strangers, unless I am sitting by someone for a long time or at a jewelry store or show, I wouldn''t say anything, even if I were drooling. I''m not much of one for conversing with strangers. As far as friends/acquaintances go, some people are not into jewelry and do not care what you are wearing. There''s another segment who thinks if you have nice stuff and aren''t living in the 90210 zip code, it must be fake (my grandfather refuses to believe my jewelry and my mother''s is real ! ). They don''t realize I forgo other expensive hobbies/vacations/cars because I like my jewelry better.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Diamondseeker, maybe you are right about the fact that a lot of women don''t care about jewelry and that''s why they don''t say anything. I have a hunch maybe that''s it.

LuvThatBling, not thinking someone''s jewelry is real could be part of it too.

One of these days I''ll post some of my favorite pieces on here. That would probably be fun.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 1:25:46 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I know exactly what diamondfan means about signing the credit card slip! That is usually when I get compliments on my original e-ring as well. We pay for everything on a card with points and pay it off at the end of the month. So I am signing a slip every time I buy something. This diamond is only a carat, and that was one reason I was hesitant to go with the 1.63 for the new ring. Of course, I did adjust to that idea! However the next time I feel awkward about it, I''ll think of diamondfan and then I''ll realize it isn''t such a big problem for me!
2.gif

But Cind, I can relate to not getting compliments on other jewelry. I guess a lot of women just don''t care about jewelry. But I think you''ll definitely get compliments on your new ring because it is so beautiful and uncommon! And you can always show us your things..we love to see it all!

You are so funny! I just noticed that since I wear my ering on my left hand, and I sign with my left and my hand is on the counter and the salesperson is usually watching what you sign etc that I get more comments on my ring then. And I love bling so I never mind a compliment, but sometimes it feels a bit icky if that makes any sense...like a guy noticing or when you are alone in a stange place.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s kinda funny that when I had my 0.75 round, I didn''t get any comments. When I upgraded to a 1.5 ct pear in a solitaire setting, still didn''t get any comments. But as soon as I put a delicate halo fringe and thin shank setting on that same pear, I get stopped in the street every single time I wear it. Any time I buy something and have to sign the cc slip, it starts a convo about the ring! Can''t say I don''t love that!!!!
5.gif

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I do get quite a few comments on my ring, especially by waitresses, I''ve noticed. I have pretty small hands, so I think my ring makes somewhat of a statement.

There is the occassional "what does your husband do?" question which annoys me a bit, but I usually make up something really juicy in response. Hey, a rude question deserves a ridiculous response, right?

I get compliments on a necklace I wear frequently, which are usually on the more general side like "that''s really pretty".

I think only people that are really "into" jewelry tend to look at other''s rings/necklaces/bracelets and comment on them regularly. I''m definitely one of those people and I always compliment men and women when I see a stunning, unique piece!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get compliments on my e-ring here and there. But I have to say, my new David Yurman petite albion ring gets a ton of comments (something about that bright blue topaz maybe). Even my older male boss stopped dead in the middle of what he was saying and exclaimed "nice ring!" when he noticed it. I think the halo is a show stopper as well. Funny thing is that now that I have a halo RHR, it makes me even happier that I got a simple e-ring. Not quite sure why...

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Asking how much it cost is just tacky, of course, but asking how many carats? I don''t know . . . probably wouldn''t do it to a stranger unless they were the talkative type already volunteering info, but I''ve asked acquaintances, and I don''t think they minded. I can see how someone with an unusually huge diamond would be more uncomfortable with the question, though.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that is why I get a bit uncomfortable because my stone is on the larger end and it can be awkward...

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get lots of compliments, which I enjoy. It annoys me when people try to touch the stones - I always pull my hand away when they do.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
Never any comments. My mother thinks it''s "nice" and my sister wants "something at least twice as large." My engaged or married friends all have larger, prettier, fancier rings than I do. Most of the time, I leave my rings at home.

Actually, the only time someone has ever commented was when I was wedding dress shopping and considering her profession and the wonderful ring she was wearing, I assumed she was attempting to get a sale by fake admiring.

I sometimes wear descent earrings, but they aren''t the type that you comment on if you''re a stranger.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 10:19:55 PM
Author: Cind11
Hi Diamondseeker, maybe you are right about the fact that a lot of women don''t care about jewelry and that''s why they don''t say anything. I have a hunch maybe that''s it.

LuvThatBling, not thinking someone''s jewelry is real could be part of it too.

One of these days I''ll post some of my favorite pieces on here. That would probably be fun.
Cind11....Would love to see some pics of your favorite pieces. I love seeing what others have, their taste and all.That would be so much fun...maybe a new thread!!!!

I love compliments on my jewelry and do not mind talking about it but do not like to discuss prices.That makes me a little uncomfortable. I like to look at othersjewelry and I really do not comment on them very often.It would really have to have my attention and would probably have to be a colored stone...

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Conitta,

I have taken some pictures of my jewelry that I particularly like, but some things didn't turn out so well so I need to get around to taking more pictures. One of these days I will post them, hopefully sooner rather than later.
3.gif

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/11/2006 12:14:17 AM
Author: Cind11
Hi Conitta,

I have taken some pictures of my jewelry that I particularly like, but some things didn''t turn out so well so I need to get around to taking more pictures. One of these days I will post them, hopefully sooner rather than later.
3.gif
I know too well about how taking pictures turns out. lol...It is hard to do.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
well I complimented a woman on her e-ring one time in a store and she said thanks, and turned away like get away from me. So that was the end of my complimenting a stranger on their jewelry.
To be honest, I think most people just don''t care about jewelry (even their own) the way we do and so when someone comments them, they''re thinking why is that person so interested???hmmmm??? I certainly wasn''t out to rob her or anything!
I will comment if it''s someone I know and if it''s a pretty piece of jewelry. Most of the time they are very appreciate of the comment and happy to receive it. But a stranger, no way. I won''t make that mistake again!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Today I went to get blood drawn and the lab tech asked me who loves me a lot and pointed to my ring. I laughed and said my hubby, and it is payment for dealing with a witchy mother in law for the past 16 years...she said hers had been awful too but she never got compensated! We had a laugh over that and I bet she went home and told her hubby to pay up!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once in awhile I will compliment a lady on her jewelry, but ONLY if her body language and overall demeanor seem very friendly. If she looks unfriendly or if she seems to be in a rush, I will just admire from afar and avoid making her feel uncomfortable. Some people welcome the attention, others don''t mind it, and others hate it...you can usually tell which type of lady she is by her body language and the way she is interacting with others. So, I wouldn''t interpret others'' apparent lack of interest as a sign that your jewelry is not nice....in most cases, it may be that they''re afraid of offending or scaring you.

I get complimented on my ring very rarely, but I think that''s because I subconsciously tend to hide my left hand when I''m in public. I''m sure there''s still a part of me that is a little embarrassed to have such a big diamond, and that comes through in my body language. I''m fine with people not noticing because I''d rather that they not make a fuss.
1.gif

conitta

Shiny_Rock
I find that I get more compliments on my colored stone jewelry than plain diamonds.Everyone knows what diamonds are but not that familair with the colored stones and want to know what they are. I hve been in a buffet line and noticed someone looking at my rings.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I used to get compliments on my e-ring from customers a lot when I was a teller. I guess since my hands are on the counter most of the time and they are shocked that I was engaged (they thought I was younger than I actually was). The only other time I got compliments was when an older lady (in her 60''s) was in line in front of us at the theater. Then again she was first shocked that I was married (she thought I was 16) before she complimented on it and grabbed my hand. I didn''t really like it when strangers grab or try to grab my hand.

I don''t compliment people on their jewelry at all. I just admire from afar. I don''t even ask acquintances to see their rings because I don''t think anyone I know quite understands my obssession with jewelry and I don''t want to make them feel uncomfortable. The only time I asked to see and inquiry about other''s jewelry was during PS get-together because we all know we are crazy about jewelry and everyone is comfortable talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results