shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing chrysoberyl & mali garnet for color, brilliance & dispersion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Comparing chrysoberyl & mali garnet for color, brilliance & dispersion.

Do I have this right:

Mali might tend to be more greenish than chrysoberyl,

Chrysoberyl more brilliant than mali,

Mali more dispersion than chrysoberyl?

Yes, I know it all depends on the individual stone and cut. Just looking for general ideas on this. Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds about right in general terms for those family of gemstones.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Looking at mine:

The chrysoberyl is much greener than the mali
The mali is much more brilliant and has higher dispersion than the chrysoberyl.

With the colour, chrysoberyl can be green or they can be yellow and everything in between. I tend to think of them as being a green stone (but a peridot like green, not green like a tsavorite).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora,
I guess it''s pretty hard to make hard and fast rules because there''s such a large range within a family of gemstones and how they are cut. I''ve seen yellow and green chrysoberyl. However, the mali''s are mostly going to be better at dispersion than the chrysoberyls.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
I want to promote the chrysoberyl a bit. If you are looking for a green stone chrysoberyl can be had much greener than the mali. Visually the difference in brilliance is hard to distinguish between the two. Dispersion is higher in mali yes. Chrysoberyl is harder and takes excellent polish. A very good ring stone.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
If you want a more dispersive gem, go with the Mali. Chrysoberyl is such a great ring stone though, because of its hardness and brilliance. Mali garnet also has great luster.

The only answer is to get both.
3.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 5:39:25 PM
Author: Chrono
Pandora,
I guess it''s pretty hard to make hard and fast rules because there''s such a large range within a family of gemstones and how they are cut. I''ve seen yellow and green chrysoberyl. However, the mali''s are mostly going to be better at dispersion than the chrysoberyls.
I may be reading your post wrong - but what you put above is exactly what I said
33.gif

I specified that my chrysoberyl was greener - but clarified below that they can range from yellow right through to green.

Also that the Mali''s have higher dispersion.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
You are right, that Mali is as green as a good Tsavorite but I am sure you would have to search your butt off to find one. Generally in terms of availability it will be easier to find a true green Chrysoberyl than a Mali. Regarding brilliancy I said it is hard to distinguish between them. For sure the cut has much to do with brilliancy and Chrysoberyl actually is easier to give a top polish. The skill of the cutter is of high importance.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The desired size can also help you choose - if you want a bigger stone (say, 3 cts or more), chrysoberyl is a better choice. They''re more often found in large sizes.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much, Most-Knowledgable-Dear-Friends !

Hope you are all o.k. in this snowstorm (if that is your part of the country).

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Coati, you enabler ("get both")
9.gif
2.gif

I do tell you, I adore your new antique stones !! The three stone is Wow !

Hope you are feeling o.k. with the hand and all.

---

Zeolite: Thanks for the link. Say, I learned a great piece of info. from what you said there - that a higher RI will window less. Makes sense but I never would have thought of that on my own.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
One more:

What colors are you people liking best in these two stones? I know taste is individual and all (however I've found I learn a lot from asking even vague/subjective questions like this).

I think I prefer a light greenish gold. You?

Thanks again and much appreciation.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for starting this thread sonoma! I''ve wondered the same thing, never having compared the two IRL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 6:03:40 PM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 3/1/2009 5:39:25 PM
Author: Chrono
Pandora,
I may be reading your post wrong - but what you put above is exactly what I said
33.gif

I specified that my chrysoberyl was greener - but clarified below that they can range from yellow right through to green.

Also that the Mali''s have higher dispersion.
Yup, just agreeing with you.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results