shape
carat
color
clarity

Mali Garnet question ..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Are Mali''s usually more yellow or green? Does anyone have one or have any advice or suggestions about them?!

I really, really love the Mali that Gene just cut but it was sold before I could buy it. It''s more green than the one cut before it which is why I like it .. he has more rough that he''s going to look at for me when he gets the chance but I''m curious what the odds are on getting a greener stone like the last one he cut (from what I''ve seen they seem to be more yellow the majority of the time). I''d ask him but I know he''s super busy so I''m coming to ya''ll instead!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have a gene mali....its greener with lots of yellow/gold flashes.

send gene an e-mail.

mz

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
I sent him one asking if he''d cut another for me and he said he would but that it''ll be a few weeks because he''s swamped right now .. I figure I''ll ask him once he catches up but in the meantime I wanted to come here with the green/yellow question! Like I''ve said before - patience is not a strong point for me!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I purchased this mali from artcutgems. It really is green with the orange and teal flashes. Amazing.

"Mali Garnet is a newly-discovered Grossular garnet from Mali in West Africa that contains a higher than normal percentage of Andradite garnet. Andradite in Mali Garnets results in spectacularly bright and brilliant gems exhibiting rainbow dispersion in lighter-hued stones. Mali Garnet colors range from light yellow, gold, gold-green through light green to darker orange and brownish-orange."

Mali206asm.jpg

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Ohhh! I love that! Thanks for ya''lls help .. I appreciate it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would imagine, although I could be wrong, that you would want ones that have more green in them and less brown. Is that true you Mali experts out there?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 5:58:13 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I would imagine, although I could be wrong, that you would want ones that have more green in them and less brown. Is that true you Mali experts out there?
Totally subjective...

I have one that is yellow green with orange flashes in daylight and then looks orangy brown with greenish yellow flashes in electric light.

It is one of my all time favourite gemstones - mine came from Richard at Artcutgems.

If my e-ring wasn''t a tsavorite, I would have gone for a mali.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 5:50:35 PM
Author: Fly Girl

I purchased this mali from artcutgems. It really is green with the orange and teal flashes. Amazing.

'Mali Garnet is a newly-discovered Grossular garnet from Mali in West Africa that contains a higher than normal percentage of Andradite garnet. Andradite in Mali Garnets results in spectacularly bright and brilliant gems exhibiting rainbow dispersion in lighter-hued stones. Mali Garnet colors range from light yellow, gold, gold-green through light green to darker orange and brownish-orange.'

The most common colors are yellow with a slight hint of green, and gold, and orange to brownish orange. This mali below (2.95 cts) is fairly typical of color, but with an exceptional design and cut. Actually this gem's color is more saturated and intense than this picture shows.

ymali295.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Mali of any tone of green, with little or no yellow, are quite rare. Here is an exceptional green, as green as the finest tsavorite. I asked ths dealer several times if he was sure this is from Mali. He said yes. I measured the R.I. at 1.742, so this Mali (0.90 cts) is amost pure grossular, with very little andradite.

gmali.90.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool looking stone; it''s hard to resist any gemstone with a high RI.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if this is a thread-jack, but do different kinds of garnets have different refractory indexes? This may be a stupid question, but I figured you guys would know. I''ve heard that Mali garnets are more sparkly and that''s why I was wondering.

americanthai

Rough_Rock
Hello Forum,

Mali Garnet has always been a favorite stone of ours. As long as they are not too dark, all the colors can be very attractive.

malig_colors.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 11:05:18 PM
Author: Kelli
Sorry if this is a thread-jack, but do different kinds of garnets have different refractory indexes? This may be a stupid question, but I figured you guys would know. I''ve heard that Mali garnets are more sparkly and that''s why I was wondering.
Yes:
almandite 1.76-1.82
pyrope 1.72-1.75
rhodolite 1.74-1.77
spessartite 1.79-1.82
grossular 1.72-1.75
andradite 1.86-1.89

Mali is a mix of grossular and andradite, so it could have a very wide range, but my experience is that it is much closer to grossular. But andradite has very high dispersion (rainbow colors), so Mali could be sparkly and yet have a lower refractive index.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 12:36:08 AM
Author: zeolite

Yes:

almandite 1.76-1.82

pyrope 1.72-1.75

rhodolite 1.74-1.77

spessartite 1.79-1.82

grossular 1.72-1.75

andradite 1.86-1.89

Mali is a mix of grossular and andradite, so it could have a very wide range, but my experience is that it is much closer to grossular. But andradite has very high dispersion (rainbow colors), so Mali could be sparkly and yet have a lower refractive index.

Interesting! Thanks for posting that. What would be the visible effect of a lower refractive index?

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting! Thanks for posting that. What would be the visible effect of a lower refractive index?

If cutting angles, shape, tone, and polish (and other factors) are exactly equal, then the low refractive index gem would be less brilliant, and the stone would window earlier if the stone is tilted. But very rarely is everything exactly equal. Also multi-step pavilions (bottom of the gem) such as asscher cuts require high refractive index to make that cut work.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
these garnets do sparkle-these are spessartite & in the right light they do dance & the orange color comes out-most of the garnets i have show the same way...

m7616.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results