shape
carat
color
clarity

Colour vs fire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pobrecito

Rough_Rock
I was just wondering how much colour affects the way the fire of a diamond appears. Does the fire from a "D" appear different from a "I" assuming all other things are equal? Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not think color would affect fire if the cuts are exactly the same. What affects fire and white brilliance etc is the cut itself.

My stone is more white brilliant than fire..and it's a G stone. I think it looks whiter than other G's...because of the white brilliance. Fiery stones appear to have flashes of fires and rainbows inside. Very romantic.

Gearhead

Rough_Rock
Mara,

What title was the thread where you decribed your stone? I ran across it when I first started visiting this forum, but it went over my head. Now that I'm a bit "dangerous" I want to re-read your post, but now I can't find it.

Thanks,

gh

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gearhead...well I have talked about it in alot of threads, but my first post when we found the stone is here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-fast-advice-on-62-table-diamond.3289/

Since then I have taken actual IdealScope pictures which are actually somewhat better looking than the DiamCalc ones that Leo originally posted. My stone seems to have alot of light return and not as much contrast.

Here is my recent IdealScope thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idealscope-image-my-ering-stone.10743/

Gearhead

Rough_Rock
Thank you Mara

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't think color would noticably affect fire unless the color happened to be saturated enough to start changing the hue of the fire. Did that make sense? IOW, a diamond would have to be yellow enough to affect color, like holding a yellow piece of paper in front of a green or red light.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Like Hest, I've often wondered at what point (if any) the stone's color begins to affect light return.

If it's brown to my eye and/or I can see the inclusions isn't the light return affected?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Comparing my F to my K/L, the fire from the K/L looks to me slightly skewed toward yellow--that is, there's more pale, honey-colored fire, the reds are a tiny bit more orangy, and the blues are slightly more greenish, and so on. However, it's possible that I'm imagining all this, since I know it's a yellower stone.

It also has MORE fire, but I'm sure that's because of the cut, OEC, compared to the F, which is a transitional cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results