shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored stones vs. white diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
My bf and I are at the stage where we''re talking about what kind of engagement ring I''d like. While I''m pretty classic in my taste, a diamond doesn''t really fit my personality. I love sapphires (and colored stones in general) but my bf seems pretty stuck on diamonds being the only stone appropriate for an engagement ring. I thought I had read somewhere that diamonds haven''t historically been the only stone for engagement rings (my bf is a history buff so this would get his attention). I guess I need a list of pros for colored stones vs. white diamonds.

Thanks!

H2

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
The diamond being considered the stone for an engagement ring was the result of a very successful advertising campaign by DeBeers in the mid 20th century. Not that they weren''t used before then of course, but I don''t think that diamonds were thought to be the first and only choice for an engagement ring prior to that. Here is what wikipedia says about engagement rings in general.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Sapphires have a place in engagement rings for the British royalty (ala Princess Diana) and are very trendy these days.

You might also want to chide him – that diamonds are not rare enough for you
1.gif
or that you are not like every other girl !
9.gif

Of course your guy can take the route I did when trying to decide between sapphires and diamonds – I choose both.

Take a look at all the wonderful color e-rings (many of which include diamonds) right here on PS

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do like the look of diamonds and sapphires together and I love antique or vintage style settings : )

I really like this ring as well although I have no idea about the details/quality of it (see attached pic, it's from www.Rockras.com).

"Beautiful denim blue Sapphire set in hand made mounting of 18k white gold and approximately .8 ct stunning white diamonds"

Blue_Sapphire_Ring_large.png

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
You could always get a fancy colored diamond. That way you both get what you want
emwink.gif

Joker....

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
HMMMM>.. Colored stones were the "original" stone for an E-ring. I think they have more personality and are not as "common" as diamonds. But I am partial... (let me say again.. that I am in love with many diamond Pscope rings) I think that colored stone, however, express someones personality and character, not to mention that I think that they are extremely unique and personal. I get many many comments on my ring, ... I just have a feeling that a diamond would (unless VERY spectacular) not catch as many peoples eye (my opinion, I know) But the people that talk to me about it, you can see the wheels turning when I talk about colored gemstones as E-rings...

personally, I would not want a diamond, but there is not reason that diamonds cannot play a parts in your ring, I love the halo around my stone, and it gives it just enough contrast.

Good Luck!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
pretty much everything Mine said.....except i didn''t feel the need for any diamonds at all. i started out wanting a diamond but after hanging around pricescope a while, i realized my heart belonged to color. i don''t mean to be rude and like Mine i''ve seen some very gorgeous diamonds posted at pricescope that i wouldn''t turn down.....but anyone can have a diamond. going with color is very reflective of personality i think. also, you don''t have to be settling ''for less''....a great color stone is going to cost as much [perhaps even more] than a diamond. another thought is to explore color diamonds as mentioned. my favorites are the ''champagnes''. have fun exploring your options. you''ll know you''ve found the stone when you see it....it will literally jump into your mind through your eye and it won''t let you go!

movie zombie

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I love colored stones too! My engagement ring is a diamond, but I wouldn't have objected to a garnet as an engagement ring either
31.gif
. The only thing you might want to look into though is the hardness of the stones. Since you are going to wear your engagement ring every day, you might want to look into getting a stone that comes fairly close to a diamond on the hardness scale (don't remember the technical term, sorry!).

Marisa

ETA: Tell him that you respect his view on it, and you both should like the ring since he is probably going to pay for some if not all of it. But also remind him that you have to wear it every day... and historically, engagement rings were made from many different colored stones, just like others have said!

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
hEY !

my b/f was the sammmmmee wayyyy as yours lol
He said, you want a what!????
He already had in his head a round diamond was the only thing a girl would ever want...

He is actually happy now that I talked him into a sapphire and can''t see it any other way now.
Research the scam of the diamond cartel and the outrageous pricing in diamonds and he''ll be singing a different tune! lol
You wouldn''t believe the corupt ways of the diamond industry, it really turned me off.

The one thing that a sapphire doesn''t have that a diamond does is that it''s not dependent on light.
Sapphire are dependent of light for their fire and brilliance, but the color and character of a sapphire is beautiful.
I would say have both!! Diamonds and sapphires together are classic and exquisit.

I bought my 3ct sapphire in july and in the processes of custom designing a ring. Should get a call back any day about the final touches on the wax mold.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my sapphire that we bought for under $4k and it''s 3.17 carats!!!

Copy of digital pics 191.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s beautiful!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow, beautiful stone, Mustangfan!
30.gif

Date: 11/7/2006 6:22:21 PM
Author: The Joker
You could always get a fancy colored diamond. That way you both get what you want
emwink.gif
I''ve got to disagree...I don''t think one can get the gorgeous deep natural color in a diamond that can be had in colored stones. Even diamonds graded ''intense'' pale in comparison!
1.gif

widget

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, particularly for a pear, imo! where did you find your sapphire, Mustangfan?

btw, i have a 1965...........

movie zombie

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys!
What does IMO mean? I''m not up on my computer lingo ....
I got the stone from Gemsmith in my area. the website used to be www.gemsmithnj.com
I live in central NJ

It is a small family run operated jewelers
I told them what I was looking for and BOOM!, two weeks later they brought in 5 beautiful deep blue stones for me to look at.
After months of looking at other jewelery stores, they were able to get what I wanted in 2 weeks!

Now the fun part, designing the ring! My stone was too big to fit in a nice delicate setting that I wanted, so I had to go custom
I wrote about my experience here...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-ring-any-regrets.53162/

I wish I had something to show you guys, but I don''t
7.gif

All I can do is describe it to you...
Pear center of course
30.gif

with halo pears diamonds on their sides
18.gif

The mounting has a heart design at the base with a small 1 pointer round blue sapphire in the middle of the heart. This was an influence of Scott Kay, but with a color twist to match my center
There is scroll work on the sides of the halo pear sides almost looks like Aries zodiac symbol (that''s me)

I originally wanted a Ballerina setting for my sapph, but wanted a more modern twist.
I was partial too the halo, but didn''t want to make the sapphire any darker and boyfriend wasn''t crazy over halos.
It''s very unique, and in the final wax mold process.
SO far is has taken two weeks for the primitive wax design
then another 3 weeks for the final wax mold.
and it''s another 6 weeks after that. grrr....

I''ve never seen anything like it and it''s almost everything I lwanted in a setting.

p.s. moviezombie- very cool, I HAD a ''65, now I got the ''67 and enjoy it for the final part of the season!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO = in my opinion

AmandaFace

Rough_Rock
heck, remind him youll be wearing this! my ering is a sapphire and the hubby was pretty supportive to whatever made me happy. but he also did like the idea of having something a little different than someone else.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
There''s a great way around this dilemma.
3 stone ring, color stone center, diamond sides. The best of both worlds!!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
My Grandmother has a sapphire engagment ring which is her original ring from the 1930''s. Sapphires are a great choice for an engagment ring. Besides, diamonds may be forever, but sapphires symbolize loyalty and faithfulness.
5.gif
Check out the natural sapphire company
*drool*
J463_2

And you could always sell sapphires as being less expensive than a diamond.
2.gif
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
A sapphire engagement ring was good enough for Princess Di.....you could tell him that...
2.gif

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do you think perhaps he might need a little more education about sapphires? Most men, and honestly many women, know little of sapphires, and if you go into your run of the mill jewelry store at the mall, you probably wouldn''t like them either. Perhaps if you take him to some nice jewelry stores and show him beautiful sapphires in the classic sort of settings you like, he''ll like them better.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love sapphire e-rings. I think sapphires are meant to be paired with diamonds! If that is what you REALLY want you need to convince him
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HudsonHawk, I don''t know if this has been said before (I just skimmed through this thread
9.gif
), but I told my now-DH before he proposed that I was most interested in an emerald engagement ring. He was totally stuck on diamond solitaires and ended up proposing to me with one (which I am completely pleased with, of course), so I told him a couple of years ago for my upcoming 30th birthday I would really, REALLY love to have an emerald right hand ring. Could something like my situation be an option/compromise for you two?
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results