shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom ring - any regrets?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Apologize for the long post by a lurker no less.

I was all set to have a custom setting made by a reputable jeweler mentioned often on PS. I''m starting to have second thoughts. Is it appropriate to say a "no name" designer? It''s certainly not like Leon Mege or Mark Morrell. I consider anything made by them designer rings. Like many PS members, I''m really particular about how I want things exactly a certain way, and I have never seen a ring made that''s exactly what I want. So...I figured I''d do something custom. It''s more about getting something that isn''t out there than saving money for me. Well, the more I browse (and trust me I''m making myself crazy), I''m starting to think I should either go with an already designed setting by a reputable designer, e.g. Danhov, Gumuchian Fils or have them slightly modify it. I don''t think I can deal with the uncertainty of a custom ring made from ground up. I''m not really feeling the CAD drawings, since they don''t really show EXACTLY how the pave will look or certain subtle curves of the ring head. Ideally, I would try on more rings or see them in person, but it''s just not feasible.

I just see these amazing professional pictures of designer rings with shiny metal, perfect pave, and fluid metal and just wonder if I''ll be getting the same quality, workmanship, and polish as say a Michael B. or Mark Morrell ring for example. Is there just no substitute or am I being duped by fancy marketing?

Bottom line, if I could spend up to $5K on a setting, will a custom ring turn out as beautiful and amazing looking as a designer ring?

Has anyone been disappointed or have any regrets with their custom ring?

I guess if I fear the unknown so much, I''ve answered my own question and should NOT go ground up custom. But I''d still love to hear anyone''s thoughts on the matter.

TIA

heylorac11

Rough_Rock
Hi Tia,
I''ll respond as I have been a lurker too. My husband and I just had a custom band done for him at Green Lake jewelry in Seattle. We had looked at some designer bands and none of them were exactly what he wanted. I wanted him to have something to wear that he actually was enthusiastic and excited about, not something that was just O.K. Green Lake was excellent to work with. He came up with an idea for his ring and took in a sketch and they made it happen. He is thrilled with his ring and I''m thrilled that he is happy. His ring is exactly the way he wanted it. We are nothing but pleased! And, his ring is as beautiful as any designer ring out there. Go to Green Lake Jewelry''s website or search them here. We were involved every step of the way and did make some changes to the wax cast and diamonds. It was a great experience.

Carol

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I went with WF and could not be happier. My ring is covered in pave and the quality is exceptional. I have only had it 1 year but the ring looks as gorgous now as when I got it. Here is a thread of WF custom rings:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-whiteflash-custom-e-rings.30417/ (my ring is on page 4, in the middle, it is the marquise set sideways)

What are you looking for in a setting? If you simply are trying to copy exactly a designer setting, it is often best to just get the original ring, if you can afford it. Often times, an exact replica can or will not be made.

Also, there have been some designers here who have had more than their share of unreliable creations. So just know that designer does not always mean the ring will be perfect.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi-

If you are that uncomfortable about it, don''t get a custom made ring from an online jeweler. I would try locally, someone in the surrounding 20 miles I''m sure does beautiful work and they should have books of previous designs. This is what I''m doing and I''m very much a worry wart. I have great confidence in my jeweler. I just talk to her face to face and she starts drawing away! She''ll say like this?? And I''ll either say yes or no, or more like this and draw it myself.
The ring that I''m having made incorporates everything I love all into one beautiful, elegant package.
My ring is costing around $2k in 14k white gold. with all the design work and diamonds and sapphires.
My center stone cost alittle under $4k and it''s a beautiful 3ct. pear sapphire.

P.s. if you talk to someone locally and describe in person what you want, they might just be able to alter an existing setting to save you money.
This wasn''t possible for my ring, and I don''t think 2k for the designing and diamonds and sapphires in the setting isn''t that bad of a price anyway.
Her platinum ring start out at 2k, so it would have probably been around 4k altogether

Hope this helps
Steph

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Also I wanted to add that sometimes designs in a ring are flawed and are not always possible either for looks, or more importantly durability and comfort.
I went with the full bells and whistles custom ring. What I mean by that is, one that is square on three sides; this prevent a ring from turning on your finger if it is top heavy. I also wanted her to make the prong head into a heart design and she simply said, no you''ll be coming in here every couple of months to have it fix, because it won''t be as strong. I like her honesty, her artistic abilities, and being so intuitive.
This is what you want to look for in a jeweler that does custom work.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you have a design in mind that isn''t ''out there'' already, then you really don''t have a choice but to go custom. once you decide to go that route, you need to have faith in your jeweler. if you don''t feel they can do the job, then yes, you need to pick something tried and true that has already been done and be happy with it.

best of luck!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Bargaincrazy...welcome.

I''m really particular about how I want things exactly a certain way, and I have never seen a ring made that''s exactly what I want.
Do you think there is a reason for this? I sometimes think if a design idea is too far out of the box...too different...then probably it''s a bad one, either aesthetically or structurally.

I''ve made a couple of mistakes with custom designed rings. Both times I relied on pictures, drawings, etc. I never got to actually try the rings on, see how they look and feel on my finger until they were done, and it was too late. I''d recommend trying on rings that are at least very very similar to what you have in mind before launching into a custom project.

(Actually this advice holds true for any ring design, custom or otherwise.)

It sounds like you''ve got a good budget (assuming you''re not looking for honker sidestones), I bet a skilled designer like Mark Morrell or LM (I''m sure there are others) could probably do a wonderful job for you....as long as you listen to and respect their opinions/suggestions.

Just some thoughts..good luck!
widget

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll second the greenlake suggestion.... they even have a one time do-over if you don''t like it when it''s done which I think is above and beyond. Their work is exquisite.

I''d like you to tell us what *sort* of stuff you like... greenlake does hand engraving and hand filligree....

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If what you want is similar to a designer ring, your best bet is to go for the real thing and, if possible, ask for minor adjustments. That way you’ll know almost exactly what it will look like. I don’t think waxes or CAD drawings can show *exactly* how the pave will turn out, or how the subtleties will look. If you go with full custom, you *can* try to eliminate misunderstandings beforehand by giving your jeweler detailed information about what you’re looking for. Give them lots of photos or drawings; point out specific things you like about rings they already have in their store; be involved during the actual creation by checking the progress. Because I could not find a quality version of the ring I liked, I went with a local custom jeweler, not a well-known one like Leon Mege or Mark Morrell. I’m very happy with my ring, but it’s not perfect. It was handmade, so I wasn’t expecting perfection. The ring is just a little bit asymmetrical. And the polish and finish are not perfectly shiny smooth, but I can go in and get that fixed.

There’s a thread about perfection/imperfection in custom settings. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/when-custom-is-not-perfect.46216/

Widget, what you said about trying rings on that are very very similar before buying is key. There are so many rings I like in photos that just don’t look good on my hand.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a fear of the unknown so custom is very low on my list. I''d much prefer to find a setting already made that I know exactly how it will turn out on the front end, no surprises. however, if there just wasn''t anything already out there then i would consider it but research the vendor doing it intensly. There are a few PS vendors that do custom work and have produced some amazing settings so I know they can turn out fab...just not something I personally want to do if I can avoid it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I share the same fear of the unknown! I am on the verge of getting a Beaudry setting and I know virtually exactly what it will look like when it''s done--and I am still terrified enough that I can''t bring myself to pull the trigger...

At some point though, you have to say, OK, right now I''ve got no setting (or at least a setting that you''re not happy with) but if I go this route there a pretty good chance (although nothing is 100%) that I''ll end up with a setting that I love if I give detailed enough instructions and trust the quality of the designer.

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! I''m actually so surprised that anyone even replied :) But I should have expected no less from this wonderful PS community. I still need to read the attached threads about custom work.

You all bring up excellent points. I think I should be working with a local jeweler if going totally custom, but I don''t really trust any near me (OC California). The closest thing (and I was lucky enough to try on some of their rings) is Danhov in Los Angeles, but just getting to their office for 1 hr was a hassle (kids), so I can''t envision working with them ongoing. Truly, doing internet "business" of any kind is really my thing, but maybe it just isn''t right for me in this situation.

Widget...I often wonder if my design is not aesthetically pleasing, even though I know many will say if it looks good to you, then that''s what matters. As tempting as it sounds, I don''t think I should start describing what my design is (which is in constant flux), because it would detract from the larger philosophical question of whether I have the stomach to deal with the uncertainty. I think what I really wish is that I could take all the gorgeous settings I''ve seen online and try them on my finger. That way, I could just pick my favorite and even customize it slightly if need be. I know some jewelers will send rings out, but some will not, e.g. Leon. Even the ones that send out really want you to be serious...not just browsing.

I''m just going to have to get as many of these settings to come to me. I called around a bit and I can get designers to memo out settings to local jewelers, etc. As for my beloved Leon and Mark Morrell designs, I don''t know what I''ll do.

I agree that if I go custom, it''s imperative to see numerous pics of finished work, so I''m trying to do that in parallel.

ff

Shiny_Rock
Hi bargaincrazy! It sounds like you are as precise (picky?
21.gif
21.gif
) as I was when it came to choosing a setting. I must have looked at easily a few thousand (stores, malls, catalogs in the stores, and a LOT online). I found a few rings that were close but none that were IT. I was pretty much set to go the custom ring way but simply was too short on time to risk it... I think to do a custom ring you really need to have a large window just in case something does not go right. I was almost ready to settle for something close to perfect when I came across Leo Ingwer. They had EXACTLY what I wanted. You can find them at:

http://leoingwer.com/

They have thousands of designs on their website and a lot of PS dealers can get you that ring at much lower prices than their listed retail. Worst case, it might give you some more ideas and something to approach a custom job with.
21.gif

The setting came in yesterday by the way and it is BEAUTIFUL.
21.gif
21.gif
21.gif
Really top notch work and could not be any happier with them. Took 2 weeks from ordering to arrival (Platinum).

Good luck!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results