shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored gem beauties (lab-created)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm suuuuper excited. I've never been a crazy coloured stone person, but have been hankering for a rich blue sapphire for a while now. I was planning on a small pair as studs to get me started, but a large natural sapphire is well out of reach. I've been umming and ahhing about a lab cut stone, but was unsure about who to go with, what colour, flame fusion vs hydrothermal, etc etc. However I felt a tad weak at the knees when I say the pictures of @dk168 's asscher beauty that Gary recently cut :kiss2::kiss2:

I emailed him and happily he still has more rough, and them I began to waffle over what shape to get. I wanted an elongated shape like cushion, emerald or oval. He was so lovely and patient with me. I couldn't decide until he showed me a picture of his beautiful mixed-cut cushions, and I was sold! He is starting on is this week, and hopefully I will have pics soon.

Thank you for posting your pics @dk168, otherwise I'd still be in waffle territory!

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm suuuuper excited. I've never been a crazy coloured stone person, but have been hankering for a rich blue sapphire for a while now. I was planning on a small pair as studs to get me started, but a large natural sapphire is well out of reach. I've been umming and ahhing about a lab cut stone, but was unsure about who to go with, what colour, flame fusion vs hydrothermal, etc etc. However I felt a tad weak at the knees when I say the pictures of @dk168 's asscher beauty that Gary recently cut :kiss2::kiss2:

I emailed him and happily he still has more rough, and them I began to waffle over what shape to get. I wanted an elongated shape like cushion, emerald or oval. He was so lovely and patient with me. I couldn't decide until he showed me a picture of his beautiful mixed-cut cushions, and I was sold! He is starting on is this week, and hopefully I will have pics soon.

Thank you for posting your pics @dk168, otherwise I'd still be in waffle territory!

Gary is great, and I am sure he will cut you a beautiful stone, can't wait to see it!

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I just bought this lab emerald on ebay. It is 3.15 carats, 10x8, hydrothermal "Columbian," Biron. It even comes with inclusions. For $170 (plus shipping and tax), thought I'd try it labem3.jpg (from Rusgems). We shall see!

labem2.jpg

Attachments

• labem4.jpg
    labem4.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Feel free to add opinions on the stone above, if anyone has any thoughts on it. You won't hurt my feelings lol. :)

ETA: The thread below started it. :p

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feel free to add opinions on the stone above, if anyone has any thoughts on it. You won't hurt my feelings lol. :)

ETA: The thread below started it. :p

I like it, the colour is probably on the light side for me, however, the inclusions are acceptable.

Not too sure about the cutting though as I could see a bit of a window, or is it a tilt window?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I like it, the colour is probably on the light side for me, however, the inclusions are acceptable.

Not too sure about the cutting though as I could see a bit of a window, or is it a tilt window?

I think it really is a window. From the pics, it doesn't look like the cut is nearly as detailed as some of the lab stones on here. But then when I studied the thread of mined emeralds, I felt like having it "too good" would make it look fake, if that even makes sense. Oh well, guess I'll find out soon. :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here is a link to the thread on mined emeralds, if anyone is interested:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
And another one on the way, a paraiba YAG. I really wanted these in precision cut stones but still recovering from my last splurge so taking a chance on the less expensive ebay lab emerald and lab paraiba YAG. Yanno, exactly what I'd probably advise anyone else NOT to do! But sometimes one does get lucky so we'll see. :)

So what do we think so far? Feel free to weigh in; it won't hurt my feelings. :)

Oh, it is 9x9, from new-ish (I know, I know...) seller gemstech and $74 plus $10 shipping etc. I don't see a carat weight listed.

pt1.jpg pt2.jpg pt3.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just realized the two purchases above were almost certainly mistakes haha. Keep an eye out for them on Loupetroop soon!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And another one on the way, a paraiba YAG. I really wanted these in precision cut stones but still recovering from my last splurge so taking a chance on the less expensive ebay lab emerald and lab paraiba YAG. Yanno, exactly what I'd probably advise anyone else NOT to do! But sometimes one does get lucky so we'll see. :)

So what do we think so far? Feel free to weigh in; it won't hurt my feelings. :)

Oh, it is 9x9, from new-ish (I know, I know...) seller gemstech and $74 plus $10 shipping etc. I don't see a carat weight listed.

pt1.jpg pt2.jpg pt3.jpg

Hmmmm, I believe you got what you paid for, in that it is not a precision cut stone, and the polishing could have been better.

Not entirely certain if I would consider it as Paraiba colour, and it looks more like London Blue (as in London Blue Topaz) to me.

It is probably worth setting in silver as a fun piece to wear.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin I inspected my lab Emerald from Jeff White under 20x magnification (the 10x lens does not has a light), and could see ? growth lines and some other inclusions.

It is probably eye clean at 10x magnification.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How exciting! Do you have a size in mind? I am such a sucker for those elongated cushions so I can't wait to see this come to life. :kiss2::dance:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! Do you have a size in mind? I am such a sucker for those elongated cushions so I can't wait to see this come to life. :kiss2::dance:

Hi @elle_71125! It will be 10x8mm, or thereabouts, in the same delicious rich blue of @dk168 's amazing asscher. I'd love to pop it in a chunky halo of lab diamonds, but I'd best wait and see how big it is on my finger when it gets here. The picture he showed me of a cushion spinel in his mixed-cut stole my heart!
s913627216465936_p700_i1_w900.jpeg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Well it looks like my lab emerald order was cancelled for some reason. I got notice of a refund, without comment. Alrighty, then!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it looks like my lab emerald order was cancelled for some reason. I got notice of a refund, without comment. Alrighty, then!

Ooo, is the stone still available or are you going to forget it completely?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, is the stone still available or are you going to forget it completely?

I don't see it listed anymore and the seller left me good feedback, so I have no idea what happened there. Oh well, probably better to wait and get a precision cut one because I had second thoughts about that one anyway.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see it listed anymore and the seller left me good feedback, so I have no idea what happened there. Oh well, probably better to wait and get a precision cut one because I had second thoughts about that one anyway.

Gary had one listed not long ago, however, it has gone now.

Perhaps he still has some roughs left. :Up_to_something:

DK :lol-2:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Mystery solved on the cancelled lab emerald, if anyone cares. The shipping notice was sent to my other email address so I didn't notice it right away. It says "Item out of stock or damaged." Nice to know there wasn't something about me they decided they didn't like anyway. :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Finewater sapphire is done, I love it! Gary is awesome! She's 4.7cts, 9.9x8.0x6.2mm of blue deliciousness.

20210112_095250.jpg 20210112_095352.jpg

It's gorgeous, thanks for sharing! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

How are you going to set it please? Can't wait to see the finished ring!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous, thanks for sharing! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

How are you going to set it please? Can't wait to see the finished ring!

Thank you @dk168, it's super pretty! Not sure yet! :bigsmile:

Ooooo! The colour turned out beautifully! When do you get it in hand?! :D

Thank you so much! Not for a couple of months yet, it's for my birthday in March. I can't wait to see it!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually @dk168 I thought about drawing inspiration from one of my favourite Leon pieces and setting it similar to this with lab diamonds (thanks to your recommendations of Ouros!), and a rose gold band. What do you think? Or all rounds, perhaps? I would want a fat chunker halo/cluster, with 10 pointers maybe? I do love the side pears though, but all depending on how big the stone is when I see it on my hand. But I like 'em big! :bigsmile:

r7627_Ring_Sapphire_Leon_Mege_New_York_watermark.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually @dk168 I thought about drawing inspiration from one of my favourite Leon pieces and setting it similar to this with lab diamonds (thanks to your recommendations of Ouros!), and a rose gold band. What do you think? Or all rounds, perhaps? I would want a fat chunker halo/cluster, with 10 pointers maybe? I do love the side pears though, but all depending on how big the stone is when I see it on my hand. But I like 'em big! :bigsmile:

r7627_Ring_Sapphire_Leon_Mege_New_York_watermark.jpg

Instead of lab/MMD, how about using Moissy instead to reduce the cost of the setting?

That's what I am using for my lab CS stones.

A very striking design indeed, however, it will too much for me personally to have it made with 10 pointers in lab/MMD diamonds.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead of lab/MMD, how about using Moissy instead to reduce the cost of the setting?

That's what I am using for my lab CS stones.

A very striking design indeed, however, it will too much for me personally to have it made with 10 pointers in lab/MMD diamonds.

I hadn't thought of moissies! Any recommendations on where to buy them loose? I'm furiously googling as we speak.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hadn't thought of moissies! Any recommendations on where to buy them loose? I'm furiously googling as we speak.

I bought a pair of 6.5mm OEC from Vijay's other shop in Etsy, namely Golden Bird.

However I found out afterwards that the bench I use in China can make jewellery pieces with Moissy and Rhodium-plated Silver, that's what I am using for my lab CS stones.

Check out the likes of Tianyu and Stargems based in China for loose Moissy, there are big threads about them in this section of the board. I have not used them myself though, as I trust the bench I use for them to source the Moissy for me.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a pair of 6.5mm OEC from Vijay's other shop in Etsy, namely Golden Bird.

However I found out afterwards that the bench I use in China can make jewellery pieces with Moissy and Rhodium-plated Silver, that's what I am using for my lab CS stones.

Check out the likes of Tianyu and Stargems based in China for loose Moissy, there are big threads about them in this section of the board. I have not used them myself though, as I trust the bench I use for them to source the Moissy for me.

Fabulous, thank you for all of your advice! I was thinking about a cluster with 2.5-3mm stones, and I've just noticed that JuliaB makes 3mm OEC moissies...:Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results