carat
color
clarity

Colored gem beauties (lab-created)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a deep hole :)
The pale green corundum is pretty cool, I’ve seen it cut some nice stones.
That pale YAG is a new one to me - gotta put that on the wish list. There’s also tsav-like YAG floating around out there.

I’ve also seen #65 corundum turn out a nice purple-reddish.. also on my someday wish list.

Have you gone down the siamite / monosital / nanosital rabbit hole yet? :)
Ugh yes! One of the Chinese vendors suggested that the color I like might be nanosital, and sent these. It's such a huge hole of gorgeous colors!

Screenshot_20190401-073844_Alibabacom.jpg Screenshot_20190401-073907_Alibabacom.jpg Screenshot_20190401-073808_Alibabacom.jpg Screenshot_20190401-073801_Alibabacom.jpg

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ugh yes! One of the Chinese vendors suggested that the color I like might be nanosital, and sent these. It's such a huge hole of gorgeous colors!
Hah! Wait until you see some of the color change versions. Funky stuff.

I got a piece of greenish-blue siamite for practice that I was sawing up over the weekend. Near color, but every camera i tried failed to get anywhere near an accurage color.

The RI is a bit lower than spinel/corundum, so its a little less interesting optically.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hah! Wait until you see some of the color change versions. Funky stuff.

I got a piece of greenish-blue siamite for practice that I was sawing up over the weekend. Near color, but every camera i tried failed to get anywhere near an accurage color.

The RI is a bit lower than spinel/corundum, so its a little less interesting optically.
Since it seems like you know a bit about cutting stones, can you explain to me how to find a faceting diagram? A am trying to have a company cut me an antique elongated cushion , but they want to know what facet diagram to use. I obviously have no idea, and have been searching all over with no luck, likely bc I'm not searching with the right name. Plus, I have no idea how to translate a facet diagram into what it will look like IRL.:!:

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Since it seems like you know a bit about cutting stones, can you explain to me how to find a faceting diagram? A am trying to have a company cut me an antique elongated cushion , but they want to know what facet diagram to use. I obviously have no idea, and have been searching all over with no luck, likely bc I'm not searching with the right name. Plus, I have no idea how to translate a facet diagram into what it will look like IRL.:!:
Go here and look around. https://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Faceting_Designs

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Since it seems like you know a bit about cutting stones, can you explain to me how to find a faceting diagram?
Maybe some day I will - just starting off learning. That’s probably a whole thread for another time :)

Facetingdiagrams.org was mention which is a pretty good resource, though they dont have renders to help you visualize what the end result lools like. I’m no good at mentally translating them yet.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay thank you!!!! Only problem is that I still can't figure out which one will have this look: Screenshot_20190319-091746_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190401-200556_Chrome.jpg 20190401_200814.jpg 20190401_200847.jpg 20190401_200832.jpg 20190401_200910.jpg 20190401_200859.jpg 20190401_200934.jpg 20190401_200921.jpg

Hmm, maybe the 8.73 cushion or the 8.003 (Cullinan VIII).
Have you narrowed it down at all?

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock

Screenshot_20190401-073844_Alibabacom.jpg Screenshot_20190401-073907_Alibabacom.jpg Screenshot_20190401-073808_Alibabacom.jpg Screenshot_20190401-073801_Alibabacom.jpg

Whose your Chinese contact? the rough is a gorgeous color and the oval cut #2/3 are beautiful.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, maybe the 8.73 cushion or the 8.003 (Cullinan VIII).
Have you narrowed it down at all?
Haha sort of. I think it's one of these two. But honestly I have no idea. 20190401_200910.jpg 20190401_200859.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never had to pick a cut before. This must be such a hard decision. :confused2:
Both of your choices look great to me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never had to pick a cut before. This must be such a hard decision. :confused2:
Both of your choices look great to me.
Yeah it's a little cool, but also scary and makes me want to just order from Mona or someone who I know does this cut! But we will see, it's a relatively inexpensive gamble

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Haha sort of. I think it's one of these two. But honestly I have no idea. 20190401_200910.jpg 20190401_200859.jpg
I would say it's definitely not the second cut. See how that second cut's pavilion comes to a point? That yellow stone doesn't show that - it shows more what that first diagram shows. Very similar to my paraiba YAG. 20190325_172347.jpg

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Yeah it's a little cool, but also scary and makes me want to just order from Mona or someone who I know does this cut! But we will see, it's a relatively inexpensive gamble
I approach stone cut selection like this: First, decide what shape you want (keeping in mind how you want to set/display/wear it). Then, determine which cuts are appropriate for the specific gemstone (for example, some cuts are designed for specific gemstones to best take advantage of their native shape (eg. tourmaline - rod-shaped, landing itself best to rectangular and emerald shapes) or refractive index (eg. blue zircon and the so-called "zircon cut").
Then, determine whether you want "all sparkly as hell!" or more subdued and elegant. There's some fabulous fancy cuts (concave comes to mind, as do those cuts with "stars" or "hearts" displayed in the pavilion) that personally look quite cheesy to me and remind me of something you'd find in a jewelry case at a truck stop.
Then, consider any limitations you may have as to how you want the stone set. For example, for the ring I recently had designed I wanted it to sit as low as possible on my finger and I therefore had to pick a cut with a shallow pavilion and give up a little bit of sparkle.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say it's definitely not the second cut. See how that second cut's pavilion comes to a point? That yellow stone doesn't show that - it shows more what that first diagram shows. Very similar to my paraiba YAG. 20190325_172347.jpg
Aha,good point! Maybe it is the first one!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Aha,good point! Maybe it is the first one!
I'll bet that if you had it cut to the first diagram you wouldn't be able to tell the difference even if it wasn't the exact cut of the yellow stone. I say go for it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whose your Chinese contact? the rough is a gorgeous color and the oval cut #2/3 are beautiful.
Haha they just told me the min order is 100 stones, or 1kg of rough. Dammit!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not all, in fact many of these published cuts do not perform well. You need to also take note of the refractive index they were intended for, as many are designed around CZ which has a very high refractive index, and will not work with materials with lower RI’s.
It’s best to leave the design up to the cutter. An experienced cutter has cut enough stones, and worked with enough designs to know what is well suited for the material.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Not all, in fact many of these published cuts do not perform well. You need to also take note of the refractive index they were intended for, as many are designed around CZ which has a very high refractive index, and will not work with materials with lower RI’s.
It’s best to leave the design up to the cutter. An experienced cutter has cut enough stones, and worked with enough designs to know what is well suited for the material.
"Not all" what? Whose post are you referring to?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Not all" what? Whose post are you referring to?
The post where I posted all of the cuts I was considering. I think he was saying that not all of them will end up looking good with a given material (e..g they were written for a stone with specific R.I).

voce

Ideal_Rock
Can anyone who is good at colors speak to this one vs msop's stone?

IMG-20190330-WA0002.jpg PT_blue_spinel_rough.jpg
Yours looks a slightly lighter tone, although it may very well be the lighting. I think yours looks more appealing than msop's stone! :appl: Good luck with the facet!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Omg!!! That looks amazing so far!!! I can't wait to see it once you get it!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results