shape
carat
color
clarity

Color vs Fluorescence

jaycruz

Rough_Rock
Which has a bigger impact on a diamond color grade or fluorescence, from the aspect of both visual performance and potential pricing implications?

Take 2 diamonds and assume all things equal, which would be preferred from the 2 views above?
1) I/VS1 with no fluorescence
2) G/VS1 with strong blue fluorescence, but not milky looking

toBnruG

Rough_Rock
Is the "search" feature missing in the top-right corner of your PriceScope screen? This topic has been covered in countless threads on PS.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
G would be my choice.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pick the G. It's a higher colour, and I love fluor. It will look a little blue in the sunshine.

This is a G VSBF [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/should-i-keep-this-very-strong-fluorescence-diamond-w-pic.147751/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/should-i-keep-this-very-strong-fluorescence-diamond-w-pic.147751/[/URL]

Not sure what this one is graded, but some blue in the sun [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/download/file.php?id=58878']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/download/file.php?id=58878[/URL]

You probably won't notice it much most times.

jaycruz

Rough_Rock
toBnruG|1458809196|4010272 said:
Is the "search" feature missing in the top-right corner of your PriceScope screen? This topic has been covered in countless threads on PS.

Fair enough, I'm going to plead ignorance there.

In my defense, I never expected to find G within the price range given the criteria I was looking for, i.e. I/VS1. I've seen a few H diamonds show but not something 2 color grades higher. When a G, due to the fluorescence I presume, came up on a search I was intrigued and thought the best place to get opinions would be here.

jaycruz

Rough_Rock
telephone89|1458830668|4010359 said:

Thanks for the links.

I liked how the G seemed to outperform in the F in various lighting environments, though in some of later pictures the blue came on a bit too obvious for my taste. I certainly like icy with maybe a slight tint of blue, but not as much as it appears in some of those pictures.

Ah decisions decision lol

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind that one is VERY strong fluor, so a step above yours.

sharonp

Rough_Rock
jaycruz|1458798958|4010239 said:
Which has a bigger impact on a diamond color grade or fluorescence, from the aspect of both visual performance and potential pricing implications?

Take 2 diamonds and assume all things equal, which would be preferred from the 2 views above?
1) I/VS1 with no fluorescence
2) G/VS1 with strong blue fluorescence, but not milky looking

Good Question could you post the prices for the two and the GIA report numbers? All other things are never equal.

But if they were theoretically includiung price I would prefer the G.
The I will remain an I in all lighting, the G may be an I in some lighting but in some lighting becomes a G.

jaycruz

Rough_Rock
sharonp|1458846058|4010477 said:
Good Question could you post the prices for the two and the GIA report numbers? All other things are never equal.

But if they were theoretically includiung price I would prefer the G.
The I will remain an I in all lighting, the G may be an I in some lighting but in some lighting becomes a G.

Of course you're right, all things are never equal :)

Like you said an I with no fluorescence will always be an I in any lighting, though I hoped that the G could be an F or an E in certain lighting environments. Meaning that the G with strong blue fluorescence would be considered undergraded in certain environments as opposed to being overgraded in those same environments. The stigma being that fluorescence having a bit price hit because of the potential of being overgraded is in the back of my mind.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't mind blue fluor go for it!...here is a pic under the sun.
The MRB is my wife's H color with nil fluor and the Octavia is an I color with VSB fluor.

img_11199.jpg

img_11200.jpg

img_11197.jpg

img_11201.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results