Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Color vs Fluorescence

jaycruz

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
16
Which has a bigger impact on a diamond color grade or fluorescence, from the aspect of both visual performance and potential pricing implications?

Take 2 diamonds and assume all things equal, which would be preferred from the 2 views above?
1) I/VS1 with no fluorescence
2) G/VS1 with strong blue fluorescence, but not milky looking
 

toBnruG

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 24, 2014
Messages
31
Is the "search" feature missing in the top-right corner of your PriceScope screen? This topic has been covered in countless threads on PS.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,845
G would be my choice.
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
3,847

jaycruz

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
16
toBnruG|1458809196|4010272 said:
Is the "search" feature missing in the top-right corner of your PriceScope screen? This topic has been covered in countless threads on PS.
Fair enough, I'm going to plead ignorance there.

In my defense, I never expected to find G within the price range given the criteria I was looking for, i.e. I/VS1. I've seen a few H diamonds show but not something 2 color grades higher. When a G, due to the fluorescence I presume, came up on a search I was intrigued and thought the best place to get opinions would be here.
 

jaycruz

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
16
telephone89|1458830668|4010359 said:

Thanks for the links.

I liked how the G seemed to outperform in the F in various lighting environments, though in some of later pictures the blue came on a bit too obvious for my taste. I certainly like icy with maybe a slight tint of blue, but not as much as it appears in some of those pictures.

Ah decisions decision lol
 

sharonp

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
81
jaycruz|1458798958|4010239 said:
Which has a bigger impact on a diamond color grade or fluorescence, from the aspect of both visual performance and potential pricing implications?

Take 2 diamonds and assume all things equal, which would be preferred from the 2 views above?
1) I/VS1 with no fluorescence
2) G/VS1 with strong blue fluorescence, but not milky looking
Good Question could you post the prices for the two and the GIA report numbers? All other things are never equal.

But if they were theoretically includiung price I would prefer the G.
The I will remain an I in all lighting, the G may be an I in some lighting but in some lighting becomes a G.
 

jaycruz

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
16
sharonp|1458846058|4010477 said:
Good Question could you post the prices for the two and the GIA report numbers? All other things are never equal.

But if they were theoretically includiung price I would prefer the G.
The I will remain an I in all lighting, the G may be an I in some lighting but in some lighting becomes a G.

Of course you're right, all things are never equal :)

Like you said an I with no fluorescence will always be an I in any lighting, though I hoped that the G could be an F or an E in certain lighting environments. Meaning that the G with strong blue fluorescence would be considered undergraded in certain environments as opposed to being overgraded in those same environments. The stigma being that fluorescence having a bit price hit because of the potential of being overgraded is in the back of my mind.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,804
If you don't mind blue fluor go for it!...here is a pic under the sun.
The MRB is my wife's H color with nil fluor and the Octavia is an I color with VSB fluor.

img_11199.jpg

img_11200.jpg

img_11197.jpg

img_11201.jpg
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top