shape
carat
color
clarity

Should i keep this 'very Strong' Fluorescence diamond? w/PIC

connect123

Rough_Rock
First of all, a big hello to all you diamond experts! I have been following this forum for some time now and have learned quite a lot about diamonds just from this site!

My GF and I have been extremely torn over the last couple of days deciding whether we should keep a diamond with a 'very strong' fluorescence. It could all just be in our heads since we have been staring at the diamond for a while, but i am pretty sure i can see a bluish hue on the diamond even when its not under direct sunlight...e.g in the car and under normal indoor lighting at night....we can def spot the light clear blueish hue....is this normal?

Also im trying to decide whether there is a milky/hazy appearance under direct sunlight and i am not really sure what that should even look like. Any help you folks can offer on whether there is a hazy/milky affect in the pics i am posting below will be greatly appreciated!!! is this a good diamond?? please help me and my GF decide :confused: any insight will be greatly appreciated!!!

I have taken pics of the diamond by itself as well as with a 'medium' fluorescence diamond for contrast.

Here are the specs for both diamond:
Smaller diamond is a Excellent cut, F color, VS2, medium fluorescence diamond
Bigger diamond is a Excellent cut, G color, VS2, VERY STRONG fluorescence diamond

At home under natural lighting around 7pm(bigger diamond is the 'very strong blue'):

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

At home at night under normal light bulb:
IMG_0857.JPG

on a balcony facing direct sunlight at 6pm:

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

in the car on a cloudless day at 6pm:

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

this one is a little out of focus:
IMG_0788.JPG

finally here are some pics under the bathroom fluorescence light. I have to say it looks more blue in these pics than in person (bigger diamond is the 'very strong blue') :
IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Should i keep this 'very Strong' Fluorescence diamond? w

Ok, well first few pics inside I cannot see any blue at all! In the sunlight there is a light hint of blue - quite obvious but I think it's very beautiful. Doesn't seem to be hazy to me but again it's personal preference. I say keep it - it's lovely!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

yap, does not look to be an over blue.

Personal pref, if you are worried over it, return it, you will never get over it.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

I normally like flourescence, but to my eye this one has too much. It does look hazy to me, especially in the pic you took of both of them at home at night under normal light. I think I'd look for one with medium or strong.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock

You are definitely not imaging things you can certainly see it. I'm not sure it's such a bad thing in my eyes, i think it's quite a pretty diamond. However, as stone-cold pointed out, this could be something that bothers you more over time and on such a larger purchase I'm not sure I'd take the chance keeping it unless you were absolutely certain that you do see it, you accept that it's there and you like it!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

based on the pics, it's really impossible to tell if the stone's hazy/milky. It obviously very dirty so that makes a huge difference in what we're seeing.

Have it checked out by an appraiser if you can.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with elle_chris...you need to make sure it is clean. I would take it to an appraiser and get their take on it.
There seems to be a big difference in color between the F and G. Who gave the grade of excellent to the cut?
I tend to like fluorescence. I wonder have you tried looking at it in the dark after having it outside in the sun? I'm
wondering if your stone could possible be one that glows for a long time (someone posted one a week or so ago). I'll
have to go find the thread.

Anyway, my advice would be to take it to an apprasier and tell them your concerns.

Edit - here is that thread but it doesnt say much.
post2657775.html?hilit=glows#p2657775

Edit again - there is a good article posted in the above thread. On page 251 it shows an "overly blue" stone.
http://lgdl.gia.edu/pdfs/W97_fluoresce.pdf

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks quite beautiful to me, but you and your fiancee are the ones who have to love it!

connect123

Rough_Rock

HI Elle_Chris,

Can you kindly point out which photo you are seeing the 'dirty' effect? The stone looks clean to me in person but maybe i am missing something?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

You're holding the stone in your hands in one of the pics. I'm going to "assume"m that you probably played with it a bit to get decent pics. The moment you touch a diamond with your hands, you're getting oil on the stone and it changes the look. That's why most of us are very, very anal about anyone touching our diamonds.. lol..

My point was, I honestly don't see an overblue effect that's causing any oiliness. It just looks blue to me. It might be there, but it's really impossible to tell from the pics.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock

If you are already unsure about it, then you might never be happy with it. Do you think that if you keep it, you will always have doubts about it? If so, then you should return it now, rather than regret it later.

On the other hand, it is a beautiful stone, and some people love florescence. Others can give you their opinions, but ultimately, it depends upon what makes you happy.

Good luck! :)

connect123

Rough_Rock

thanks for all your responses...yea i just looked at it under strong direct sunlight and i am pretty sure there isnt a haze to it. here are some more pics....the bluish hue is endearing in a strange way :)

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

Many people here love blue fluoro, some don't. My stone had medium blue and I don't think I've seen it yet.

But don't look for a reason to love it if you're unsure. There are many beautiful diamonds out there. If you're undecided, return and start fresh.

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock

I have a stone graded VERY STRONG BLUE for my e-ring. The effect is a lot like the bigger diamond in the photos. With my stone, I see the blue in direct sunlight, and under some types of fluorescent lighting. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. And under a UV light it glows so bright. I happen to be crazy about this effect, I love it. BUT, with that being said, if the blue effect is going to bug you and/or your fiancee, you should return it for sure.

It's funny, because most of the world is not nearly as knowledgeable about PSers about diamonds, and whenever I show people the UV glow they're oftentimes suddenly concerned and worried that their own diamonds don't glow. hehe. It's all completely up to personal preference.

I don't see any overblue/milkiness in your stone.

Here are the threads with my very strong blue stone:

Unmounted: rockytalky/do-not-fear-very-strong-fluorescence-because-it-s-beautiful-t141942.html

Mounted: show-me-the-ring/e-ring-pics-t145064.html

I am lusting over your fluoro stone! Good luck whatever you decide.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock

I completely agree with the others, if you are unsure, return it and continue the search. Don't try to make yourself love it, or try to find reasons to love it. I've teetered back and forth with this on a diamond I am currently holding within the return period and I can honestly say if you are not sure about it by now, it may not be the one!

Out of curiosity may I ask what carat weight this diamond is?n

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I have a very strong blue stone as well and I really like it, but it really is about preference. One thing that I have read about strong blues is to get a lower color stone and then the two can cancel each other out. I have an I and it seems to have worked for mine.

post2665801.html?hilit=pic in flowers#p2665801

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Oh, man, that is gorgeous! I am a fluorescence aficionado, so take my opinion with that in mind, but ... I think that's one of the loveliest stones I've seen on PS (and I've been here for a while, now). I love fluorescence for its rarity, and for its unusual, almost magical effect: I actually bought the stone in my avatar with fluorescence as one of the top priorities. I love the idea of having something almost no one else does, and in my eyes fluor is much cooler than something no one will ever see, like IF clarity.

I don't think yours is an overblue, either - like Elle said, I think it's just showing a little smudginess which, in conjunction with the sunlight, gives it a bit of a blurry effect in pics. The important thing is, how do *you* feel about it? You're sounding fonder of it as the thread progresses .... :rodent:

stci

Ideal_Rock

IMO, this diamond is really milky. Not my cup of tea.

LGK

Ideal_Rock

I love it, I think it looks ethereal and unique and how the heck else are any of us ever gonna get our paws on a naturally blue looking diamond? (Even if it is just in sunlight that it does that!) But, I do have a thing for strong blue fluoro and would even love to find an overblue for DH actually. I don't see it as hazy or milky myself. This is *such* a matter of personal taste- I think you either love or hate fluoro and that's pretty much it. If you don't love it, send it back (or send it to me, lol) because I suspect it will continue to nag at you.

Let me see if I can find a pic of a truly overblue... it's a mens ring and it's a pic that's floated around PS for years, I think a vendor owns it actually. It's on one of my computers somewhere!

LGK

Ideal_Rock

Here it is. Can't remember who's ring this is though... I do remember that the owner said under non-UV light the diamond looked normal, but in the sunlight it looks so overblue and hazy it looks like opalescent glass. And that they looked for a reallllly long time to find a true overblue like this.

verystrongbluefluorescence1.JPG

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

LGK, that is Davis Atlas' stone.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock

I love blue fluor, the more the better. I think that diamond is a knockout.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

i think the blue diamond is SUPER cool looking and I'd be STOKED to have such a unique diamond! I think the blueness makes it look way whiter than the smaller diamond-- it makes the smaller diamond almost look lifeless in comparison.

LOVE the blue!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock

I love fluor and have a strong blue. It depends on the individual stone. I had a different strong blue on trial and it looked funky under some lighting, so I sent it back. My current one is really great - I love that it can change a bit in different lights, but it is always beautiful to me. I put it under black light and it glowed like anything! =) here is a photo of mine and you can slightly see the blue.

RB top 7 resize.jpg

nbarker

Rough_Rock

i love it! makes it look like ice :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The pics are really subjective as it is extremely hard to photograph a diamond well. I have a very strong blue and it is amazing. Not milky or hazy at all. Also it is rare for a strong blue to be milky or hazy. Let your eyes be the judge if you love the diamond or not.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

Andelain said:
I normally like flourescence, but to my eye this one has too much. It does look hazy to me, especially in the pic you took of both of them at home at night under normal light. I think I'd look for one with medium or strong.

Agreed. It all depends on what you want too. Do you WANT something that has a blue tint to it or would you prefer something that is icy white? Some people love the blue hue...others don't.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock

I definately notice a milky blue haze. I've never seen a good example of strong flour. I personally am not a fan. That being said, I think there's a diamond for everyone so if you notice it and think "oh cool" then keep it, if you notice and thing "WTH" then send it back and find something without flour! At any rate, make sure there's an upgrade policy so if you change your mind later, you have options.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sizzle said:
I definately notice a milky blue haze. I've never seen a good example of strong flour. I personally am not a fan. That being said, I think there's a diamond for everyone so if you notice it and think "oh cool" then keep it, if you notice and thing "WTH" then send it back and find something without flour! At any rate, make sure there's an upgrade policy so if you change your mind later, you have options.

Sizzle, could I ask for a clarification here? Do you mean you've never seen fluor at all IRL, or that you've never seen a stone with it that you've found attractive?

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock

It's a beautiful diamond. Doesn't appear hazy or cloudy to me, quite the opposite. It seems so much whiter than the F next to it. Large, sparkly and bluish white, just gorgeous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results