shape
carat
color
clarity

Color + clarity vs size

amirabuhasan

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone! First time posting here. I'm currently looking for an engagement ring, and I can't tell you how helpful all your posts have been in guiding me through my search.

Anyways, I've had my eyes on this beautiful 0.9ct H VS2 Whiteflash ACA diamond: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4219810.htm

However, upon browsing a bit more, I also noticed that they had this 1.11ct I SI1 diamond (also ACA) for $300 more. Here's the link: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4183262.htm

The 0.2ct bump for diamond 2 seems sizeable, although I'm not 100% sure on how much difference the drop to an I color would make, as well as it being a lower clarity.

Both of these diamonds are within my budget, so I wanted to gauge what the general preference is among everyone here. Which one would you opt for? I'm currently 50/50 on this.

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt the 1.114ct I-SI1 ACA is eye-clean to my standard (eyeclean top and sides from 6" away), and therefore would choose the 0.91ct H-VS2 ACA.

1598206791153.png

YMMV.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the slightly smaller, higher quality stone. The size difference will be barely noticeable, but the color and clarity might be.

I am firmly wearing my pedant hat right now ;-) but we must be careful about using words like 'higher quality' in relation to 'higher colour' or 'higher clarity' stones - they are undoubtedly higher-graded, but 'higher quality' is an aspect of cut.

We don't want to infer that 'lower quality' stones are only available to those with smaller budgets than those who can afford DEF VVS stones!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone! First time posting here. I'm currently looking for an engagement ring, and I can't tell you how helpful all your posts have been in guiding me through my search.

Anyways, I've had my eyes on this beautiful 0.9ct H VS2 Whiteflash ACA diamond: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4219810.htm

However, upon browsing a bit more, I also noticed that they had this 1.11ct I SI1 diamond (also ACA) for $300 more. Here's the link: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4183262.htm

The 0.2ct bump for diamond 2 seems sizeable, although I'm not 100% sure on how much difference the drop to an I color would make, as well as it being a lower clarity.

Both of these diamonds are within my budget, so I wanted to gauge what the general preference is among everyone here. Which one would you opt for? I'm currently 50/50 on this.

I would go with the smaller. The difference in sizes is negligible and you are paying premium for passing that 1ct mark. Unless you "must" have the 1ct and it is a mind thing. H/VS2 is also my favorite combo - good value for the money - meaning the slight hint of color is there and inclusions are there but no one can see them. And I do not like to pay for something I cannot see.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I doubt if I would be able to spot the one grade colour difference even if the two stones are placed side by side.

I would definitely ask WF to confirm if the larger SI1 stone is definitely eye clean. If it is, then I would probably opt for this stone myself.

My "mind clean" is G/H and VS quality with the best cut. However, I would consider dropping to I and eye-clean SI for the right stone and price, if I were in the market for a diamond.

DK :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll take the H VS2 stone.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I’d ask them if both stones are eye-clean. I was deciding between an H/VS2 and an H/SI1 from them, and ended up taking the H/SI1 because the H/VS2 had a visible inclusion when viewed from the sides.

Also ask yourself which one your partner would prefer.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I dont think the size difference will be indistinguishable (I think it will be quite obvious at this size), I still think you should go with the
.92. I'm afraid at close observation she might see the inclusion in the 1.11.

Edit...since WF has a generous upgrade policy you can always upgrade for 5 year anniversary (or even sooner)!

You can ask WF for a side-by-side picture of the two stones.

Relative size difference between the 2 stones on a size 6 finger...
Capture.PNG

L

lydial

I think it is unfair to tell the OP that the size difference will barely register. If the size difference is truly 0.4 mm then that is double what most people consider a noticeable size. This does not mean I prefer the larger stone (though in general I owuld go for a larger stone if they were similar enough). That's just me.

amirabuhasan

Rough_Rock
thanks for the input everyone! seems that most are inclined towards the smaller stone, unless the larger si1 stone is eye clean. my hunch is that it won't be up close as well, but i'll ask whiteflash to compare both stones side by side

amirabuhasan

Rough_Rock
While I dont think the size difference will be indistinguishable (I think it will be quite obvious at this size), I still think you should go with the

Edit...since WF has a generous upgrade policy you can always upgrade for 5 year anniversary (or even sooner)!

Capture.PNG

the upgrade is a great idea! they do have an excellent upgrade policy

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
You seem to have enough opinions but I just like to vote so I cast mine for the H .91.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I’d ask for pictures of them side by side so you can judge for size and color differences. I’d lean towards the 1.1 as I think the size difference will be greater than the color difference- but it’s highly personal.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d ask for pictures of them side by side so you can judge for size and color differences. I’d lean towards the 1.1 as I think the size difference will be greater than the color difference- but it’s highly personal.

Its the clarity at issue, not the color.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As soon as someone says "higher quality" when referring to color and clarity, I know they don't know very much.

Get the 1ct. Size is much more noticeable than a small color difference or minute inclusion. I have 2 SI1 diamonds that are perfectly eye clean. One is a D, one is a J. Both are beautiful and I am extremely color sensitive, so it's not like I dont notice color variation.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @OoohShiny and @doberman.
Clarity is subjective; the LOCATION, TYPE, SIZE, and SCALE of the inclusions determine what can be seen with the naked eye.
I’ve seen VS2 and SI1 step cuts and brilliants. I can honestly say that I’ve seen a lot of SI1 graded stones that were more eye clean than VS2’s.
I boast an EC with SI2 clarity that every jeweler and appraiser who has examined, under magnification, and with the naked eye questions with professional and experienced doubt. I’ve seen more included VS2’s than my SI2.

That being said, you need to see both stones in real life perspective (6”+ away), close up and MAGNIFIED.
Unless the SI1 included stone has black carbon inclusions, or any obstructive inclusions directly under the table, this stone should be fine, and perform to your liking.

My last question, generally speaking, is this:
Where is the difference in carat weight going to show?
Is it across the top of the stone, or are you gaining depth?
0.9 v 1.11 in carat weight SOUNDS considerable. But where is the weight distributed?
If the dimensions of the 0.9 give you more diameter across the top of the stone, you’re not gaining anything from the 1.11.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Capture.PNG

This is a proper representation.
There is a nice spread difference.
This is what I referred to, above, in my post: weight distribution.
SUPER important when evaluating size differences between carat weight and spread dimensions!
You’re gaining a noticeable difference with the 1.11.
All that’s really left is to determine if the SI1 clarity is truly eye clean.

amirabuhasan

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, just to give an update, WF informed me that the 1.11ct was not eye clean at certain angles, so I eventually went with the 0.9ct. Just purchased the diamond, and can't wait to see it in person. Thanks everyone for your help! I'll share the photos here once i receive it :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone, just to give an update, WF informed me that the 1.11ct was not eye clean at certain angles, so I eventually went with the 0.9ct. Just purchased the diamond, and can't wait to see it in person. Thanks everyone for your help! I'll share the photos here once i receive it :)

Excellent stuff! :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@amirabuhasan -

Just to be clear - are you the recipient? If so - I'd agree with you and go with the H VS2. If, however, you're not, and the purchase is for somebody else, you might want to get their input. Inclusions in a stone that size, at the SI1 grade, are very minimal, and it might be worth checking with the recipient.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
my vote goes to the h color vs diamond.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you received clarification!
Can’t wait to see the finished ring!!!
:kiss2:

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!!

amirabuhasan

Rough_Rock
Finally got my ring today, and it's a stunner! Super happy with the quality of Whiteflash's ACA diamond, as well as their service. Special shoutout to their Diamond Consultant, Becca, who was super helpful and patient throughout the process. Would highly recommend them.

As promised, here's a photo of the finished product:

IMG_2939.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!! Congrats!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
Its lovely!!! Congrats!!

I actually had this very choice in front of me when I got my 0.86 ct solitaire. I could have gotten a 1.21 ct or a 0.91 ct but the cut and all the other specs in the 0.86 were so spot on i went with the 0.86. I'm glad I did....it faces up similar to a 1.2 ct I used to have that im pretty sure now was a deep cut stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results