Cold feet? Show me beautiful Ks and share why you love them

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Cold feet? Show me beautiful Ks and share why you love

hathalove|1380576863|3529767 said:
sortmon|1380561102|3529635 said:
hathalove|1380474909|3529279 said:
I keep going back and forth between J and K. I know there are some older threads but I would like to hear about them currently.

Show me / Tell me why you love your K diamond and what has worked for it setting wise to give it the opportunity to shine?

Pretty please!

What size are you getting? The larger the diamond, the more likely you are to notice the color. Regardless, I think that there are plenty of beautiful K's and unless you're placing it right next to a J or higher colored diamond, you may not notice the color difference. The "mind clean" issue is another thing completely though. If you're not comfortable knowing that it's a K, don't do it.

Yes .80-.90 so not big. But it's funny you mention the "mind clean" issue. I'm going to give that some thought because I hadn't even thought about it.

i dont know where you live, but that size is pretty big around here.

Anywho, i agree give a good thought about the "mind clean" thing, but i know mine goes the opposite way. Like i said i love a deal And I like looking at my ring and knowing i got something so beautiful for what i paid, compared to other. So Its MORE eye clean than say a D, for me, as I think id be uncomfortable with a ring I paid more than i needed to (meaning why would I pay more for a D when im perfectly happy with a K ) but thats just me :wavey:

deeceeg

Rough_Rock

I am a K fan! This isn't the best pic with indoor lighting, but mine is appraised as J-K and I really think it leans more towards K. It often gives off beautiful colors. (Sorry--don't know how to rotate!)

_10673.jpg

lovemycat557

Rough_Rock

Here is my 2.05 ct k solitaire 14k white gold engagement ring with my two .10 ct rose gold wedding bands! Worn two ways in different lighting :)

_10678.jpg

_10679.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have seen Mayk's K emerald cut and thought the color looked very pretty in a step cut! I also am not as bothered by color in chunky cut antique stones. But I don't like lower than I color in a round brilliant, personally, as I like a stone to face up white and not have the dullness of a tint. You really cannot tell anything about diamond color from pictures. You have to order one and see it in your normal lighting environments.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1381274133|3534443 said:
I have seen Mayk's K emerald cut and thought the color looked very pretty in a step cut! I also am not as bothered by color in chunky cut antique stones. But I don't like lower than I color in a round brilliant, personally, as I like a stone to face up white and not have the dullness of a tint. You really cannot tell anything about diamond color from pictures. You have to order one and see it in your normal lighting environments.

I have come to the realization that I should be seeing one in person for sure. That said these rings posted on this thread are really beautiful. It's hard for me in a photo to seperate the features size color style of setting. It's more like I take in the entire ring if that makes any sense. Anyway I ordered my baby K last Friday which means my ring should ship by this Friday. At least they have a good return policy and excellent upgrade policy. Bob and Liza told me I would need to jump two color grades to notice a significant difference if the K bothers me in person. For that reason I decided to see the K fully set. If I love it I keep it. If I don't I will start my search for that special I stone and figure out at the same time how to pull the extra $$ together to make the jump!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As someone with a k in a lower size I disagree with the idea these stones automatically don't face up white or are dull. Just someone who wears them and wears a normal non PS sized stone. :halo: size matters, cut matters. But in the under 1ct size and in a MRB, it does face up white.

But everybody likes different things :)

ScorpioLove

Shiny_Rock
2 carat L-color diamond

These aren't the greatest pictures, but I once had a 2 carat L-VS2 stone (GIA-graded). I can't remember all of the stats on the diamond, but I do know that it was NOT a XXX stone; cut was listed as VG on the GIA report. It was set into a 18k WG setting that had approximately .20 micropave diamonds. This stone did have VSB fluorescence, so it appeared pretty white face-up.

l_on_counter.jpg

l_on_counter2.jpg

l_fridge.jpg

ScorpioLove

Shiny_Rock
3 carat K-color diamond

I recently got engaged, and currently own a 3 carat K-SI2 GIA-graded diamond. This diamond is a XXX and scores about 1.8 on the HCA tool. It has Med blue fluorescence, which helps it to appear really white face up. I can only see a faint amount of tint from the side. I am absolutely in love with my ring! Going to a K-color allowed me to get the size, finger coverage and wow-factor that I wanted without breaking the bank.

The first 3 pics were taken in a room that was lit with natural sunlight only. The last pic was taken with the ring kind of in the shadows of my body.

ring_in_box2.jpg

ring_in_box3.jpg

ring_side_view2.jpg

ring_in_0.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1381275516|3534458 said:

As someone with a k in a lower size I disagree with the idea these stones automatically don't face up white or are dull. Just someone who wears them and wears a normal non PS sized stone. :halo: size matters, cut matters. But in the under 1ct size and in a MRB, it does face up white.

I am going to rave on about underlying body hues in stones yet again. I am not sure you can describe mid to lower coloured modern brilliant cuts strictly as a dullness of a tint, or dullness specifically because of a tint. It's true in theory the darker the stone the more light it absorbs to the human eye, but you can have magnificently non dull looking yellow tinted stones in the L, M, N, O, P range all the way down to those in the X Y Z range. Sometimes if the body hue is a murky grey or a greenish grey or even some shades of browns they do tend to look less appealing. There are shades of pinkish brown in K's that almost disappear if you know what you are doing with the setting colour. You can find really deceptive K's with medium to strong flouro that face like I coloured stones.... and others that are quite yellow. I think it depends on the stone. Each one is different. Some modern cut Ks are yuk for me and others are totally fine. Most old cut Ks are delish.... The CUT will always be more important than colour in determining if a stone will end up being lifeless and dull.

You can also get high Ks and low Ks, I once saw a misgraded K closer to a high J, it had a very nice face up colour, so you can get lucky but usually Ks with less warmth will cost more comparatively to a standard or low K. It works the other way around too you can get Ks that face more like L/M coloured stones!!!

I am trying to think of a better way to describe what Diamondseeker is seeing, it's just a basic preference for a more icy white to white stone which has more "pop" or what I would describe as contrasting brightness to her eyes than a warmer stone in a round brilliant, I think that is all.

Discerning colour and liking colour in diamonds is a VERY personal thing, we each have a different range of what we like and what looks good to us. Some people don't even notice much tint at all in a K others see glaring colour, some people love it, some do not. Go and look at a few stones in the I, J, K range and work out what YOU can and can't live with and have a good look at how tinted any K you are potentially buying is.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I can't really add more than what folks have said here already but I will just pile on. I agree color is a very personal choice - for me, both Js and Ks are just too tinted for an e-ring. You may not notice the color on its own in day light but when you pair it up or compare it with a slightly higher color - the tint is very evident. As such, I am unable to even go with a J as an e-ring and my tolerance ends at H/I GIA (to be honest .. it is more like G for modern cuts). My e-ring is an E but I also have diamonds in the same size range or bigger at H, J, K, L, and M. It is noticeable that a diamond isn't "white" when you get to the J/K range. L/M has really noticeable tint from the side and sometimes the top.

I personally would go the option of higher color and second hand old cut. Save money and get an unique gorgeous stone (bias opinion - like old cuts a lot more than RB).

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had a diamond for my original E ring that was a "J"... I was not happy. I replaced it with a G.. which was blinding. I've owned an "M" in a Transitional which was beautiful but is wasn't my e-ring and my EC that DS refers to is also not my E-Ring. I just upgraded to an I with SBF.. I will tell you for my E-ring in a Modern Round Brilliant I wouldn't go much lower. There's a thread on her about the "sweet spot" for e-rings. I think with Older Cuts is a totally different ball park.. they reflect beautiful pastels and the hue is more candlelight than yellowish.. BUT that is not also to say a K set in rose or yellow gold or on a darker complextion can't look fabulous. I think bottom like it comes down to cut and personal preference. The J I had in my e-ring drove me nuts.. DS is 100% correct here... you have to see it in person and see it in different lighting conditions it's the only way to tell...

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I really do appreciate everyone's comments. Especially those who currently own or have owned Ks and any of the colors that are considered "lower". I did ask for honest opinions and experiences and that is exactly what I am hearing and getting.

I realize that I am coming from a diamond that is not well cut as is and probably a lower color then the cert tells me it is. Which reminds me I want to find that cert. I have no idea who the company is. For all I know I could be wearing a lower color than I think. You know the "antique lace" kind. :confused: Lol. Just kidding. My point is that since I am buying a well cut stone already that in itself will be an amazing upgrade. I didn't want to spend the money unless I could dramatically increase size as well. Coming from at .43 square. So .50 in a G color just wasn't worth it to me. Is K my stone?? I won't know til it's here. Will it be my forever stone?? Doubt it as I would like a bit bigger than this. I had a budget. My funds are limited. Bam! 8)

So it is done. Here are two pics. Opinions again are welcomed. I will not comment yet as I don't have it in person (should be here tomorrow) and I hate having to retract statements. :). Plus these are the whiteflash lights at whiteflash.

_10725.jpg

_10726.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it looks amazing. Very classic and will be very fun paired with your rose gold bands. Opens you up to so many band pairing options too with the white metal. :appl: :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just to add another perspective to the conversation, I do find that body tint makes the white of the stone less blazing bright. Comparing my K to a G, there is no doubt to *my eye* that the G looks a little brighter. Like comparing a soft white lightbulp to one of those "untra white" ones. Samm watt (i.e. cut), different tone to the light. This is independent of cut quality of course, and personal preferences.

tinatark

Shiny_Rock

I have a 2.09 GIA XXX K with strong blue fl. Love it. I can see a tiny bit of color from the side, but not normally. Went to a wholesale jewelry show recently and asked a jeweler to estimate the color - he said "G-H" :)

I bought a black light flashlight... it's my favorite new toy! AMAZED at the number of stones with fl - people don't even know they have it!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgrade-insurance-replacement.192902/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgrade-insurance-replacement.192902/[/URL]

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

GIA K

_10764.jpg

_10765.jpg

missymoo

Shiny_Rock

Here's my GIA K on the left and a GIA M on the right. Both are OEC's

img_1010__2_.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results