shape
carat
color
clarity

Cognac tourmaline...rose or yellow gold??

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all! It's been years since I've ventured into the coloured stone world, and am after some opinions on what to set my new purchase in. I bought this beautiful cognac cushion cut tourmaline from the lovely Gary Braun a few weeks ago, and am planning to have it set into a fine halo, but with gold prongs and band. The question is, yellow or rose gold??

The tourm is a stunning colour, a warm, rich coppery orangy brown. Yellow gold provides a nice contrast, whereas rose gold blends in more.

screenshot_2017-01-16-18-15-55.png

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excuse the hideous mock-up, but I'm thinking of this sort of thing, so a white gold halo and diamonds half way down the band, then the plain part of the band in yellow or rose gold, as well as the basket holding the stone. I just can't decide between yellow or rose, I'm leaning towards yellow but am open to suggestions!

screenshot_2017-02-12-11-24-13.png

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow SparkleRookie, that is gorgeous :love:

SparkleRookie

Rough_Rock
I would love to see pics of the final result no matter what you decide!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The latest trend is to set peachy stones in rose gold, so it's personal preference. Some people love it and others do not. I think it also depends on skin tone. It would look more contrasting if you set mocha diamonds around it.

Right now, I'm looking to set an orange pink morganite, and thinking about flanking it in dark rhodium with dark amethysts. It just fades away in rose gold and yellow does nothing for it, and neither does white metal.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input TL, I think you and SparkleRookie have swayed me towards rose gold! I wear mostly yellow gold but worry that it will clash with the stone. I'll definitely post pictures when it's done.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results