shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloudy trillions

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have a jeweler they can recommend that would be willing to work with me on this setting ? I’d like to find someone who agrees to opening it up to get better access to the trillions. Anyone have a jeweler who REALLY knows his/her stuff and is kind ?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are you located @sad about trillions? PS can definitely help you find someone. ❤️

Would you want to keep the trillions or would you be looking at alternate sidestone shapes? I know that you’ve now bought two sets of trillions so switching shape is an even more bitter pill, but - well, I’ll ask anyway.

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
Where are you located @sad about trillions? PS can definitely help you find someone. ❤️

Would you want to keep the trillions or would you be looking at alternate sidestone shapes? I know that you’ve now bought two sets of trillions so switching shape is an even more bitter pill, but - well, I’ll ask anyway.

Thanks!! My preference would be to keep these new trillions - we looked hard and picked out a really nice set - and put them into a setting that has easy access for cleaning. I am in New York but will work with anyone !! The last jeweler we worked with was in California. Was supposed to be one of the best.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!! My preference would be to keep these new trillions - we looked hard and picked out a really nice set - and put them into a setting that has easy access for cleaning. I am in New York but will work with anyone !! The last jeweler we worked with was in California. Was supposed to be one of the best.

@sad about trillions any update on this?

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
I have this same exact problem! I got this in 2008 and it has never looked the same as when it was new. I just put a bunch of stuff in the ultrasonic, cause... ew. LOL it's been awhile.

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 10.47.40 AM.png

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
I have this same exact problem! I got this in 2008 and it has never looked the same as when it was new. I just put a bunch of stuff in the ultrasonic, cause... ew. LOL it's been awhile.

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 10.47.40 AM.png

Omg! Thank you for sharing! How did it come out when you put it in the ultrasonic? It’s hard to tell from a picture. Better but definitely still with a dullness/film? It drives me crazy!!! I wish there was some way to make it better.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Omg! Thank you for sharing! How did it come out when you put it in the ultrasonic? It’s hard to tell from a picture. Better but definitely still with a dullness/film? It drives me crazy!!! I wish there was some way to make it better.

It helped a bit. But when I took it out the trillions actually looked darker than before because there was so much water in the gallery. I'll take some pics right now.

Btw I don't know what the true clarity grades are on this. When I got it the paperwork said SI1 but I think they are really I1. They still don't look the same, it is like they are grey diamonds now instead of G color.

IMG_7668.jpeg IMG_7670.jpeg IMG_7671.jpeg IMG_7669.jpeg

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Ok so thinking about this a bit more, I'm wondering if a waterpick or small pointed syringe could help flush out some of the gunk?

As you can see there is no way bristles can fit under my trillions. I might try a LONG soak with hot water Dawn to break up grease, etc and then some kind of syringe. Or maybe peroxide and windex? That just came up on a Google search.

I haven't worn this set in about a decade since it is from a precious relationship, but now I really want to figure out what will work.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
No, I have the original trillions now for a total of FOUR trillions lol. The old two are loose upstairs in a box. And guess what they look amazing and sparkling clean out of the setting. So frustrated.

Ugh!

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
Can anyone recommend a jeweler who would work with me on making a trellis or u shank setting for the trillions at a reasonable cost? I think that would help. Thanks everyone!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caysie van Bebber.
Talk to her about your issue and get her thoughts. She's a designer and a visionary, she'll have some ideas.
She's reachable on IG - @cvb.inspired.design.
She doesn'talways respond quickly - I'd recommend following up if you don't hear anything for a few days.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Asking out of ignorance but why would trillions as a side stone (vs round or another shape) be more likely to be set in such a way that it’s hard to keep them clean?

Trillions have pointed corners and points are prone to damage, unlike a round or oval with no 90 degree corners. Points can chip, it’s a fact. So the prong for a pointed stone is generally bigger and designed with more metal on the underside to protect the points. Same is true for the pointy end of a pear. In this case, the points of the princess are protected by the trillions so the center stone prongs don’t have to be too beefy.

Small side stones, low setting, point protecting prongs all add up to a gunk trap. Gunk will form a waxy like substance over time that dish soap and even some ultra sonics won’t get that off, fully. The dreaded gunk buildup is why many jewelers boil loose diamonds in ACID to clean them up when resetting.

Get this bad boy cleaned professionally and then with a ring like this, which is LOVELY, do your best to avoid getting lotions or other fat based creams on the ring Or on the skin under your rings. personally, I really wear my stuff but NEVER apply lotion or cook with my hands wearing rings because of the gunk issue.

And there is personally body chemistry. I have oily skin. Nothing I can do about it. My stud earrings, for example, are in constant need of cleaning because shampoo, soap and my skin means gunk.

Last edited:

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone recommend a jeweler who would work with me on making a trellis or u shank setting for the trillions at a reasonable cost? I think that would help. Thanks everyone!

David Klass. He made this three stone trellis for me. He’s very professional and his prices are very fair.
D03EEFBD-61F9-40EE-BF43-53578ED95254.jpeg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have they removed the trillions and acid-dipped them and while they are out of the setting really look at the prongs and clean everything?

Have you tried the boiling water, dish soap, ammonia, soak, scrub, soak, scrub - replace water with new boiling mix, repeat method? I know others recommended it, but has it helped? Can you get any brushes to contact the bottom of your diamond in this setting? Once you remove the setting from the cleaning solution and dry it with a soft cloth and shake out the extra water. Then, soak the setting for a minute in 91% alcohol (available OTC). Its will drive off the water and is a solvent. Let the alcohol evaporate. Buff the stones. Then, I would also get a 10X and 20x loupe and have a good look at the setting and surface of the stones. See if there is gunk packed into the prongs. See if the surface is clean or had deposits.

The other issue is that they may not be well cut and or have inclusions. These issues become more pronounced with dirt or film. Pears to the same thing. If you decide to reset with the trillions, I would send all four to the maker to be evaluated. See if they find the first or second pair of better cut/clarity or find they both problematic. Unless one is quite demanding, as most PS folks are, side stones are often substantially lower in cut and clarity.

Others suggested it, but I'll repeat it...I would consider choosing a different side stone. At this point, there is some combo of the setting, your water, your body chemistry, your lotions/soaps, etc. that seems to be creating an environment for the film to remain. But, trillions may not work for you. Several others have posted examples of their setting which suffer the same issue, so it is not a unique problem. If you get a wide open setting and have the same issue, you will be out the cost of that new setting and back to this same place. If you choose a different side stone cut and ensure they are well-cut and don't have problematic inclusions, you have little change of being back here.

Since you are having a diamond issues, I would probably work look at David Klass, Victor Canera, David at Diamonds by Lauren, or Jonathan at Distinctive Gems. There are many others, but these come to mind.

StarshineSweet

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you-what do you mean by put cotton on the ends? On the ends of the paintbrush? Also - what do you make the ammonia solution out of ?

Have you tried hot water and white vinegar, equal portions? I'd try that and let it soak overnight. It won't harm the metal, and it will dissolve the body oils/lotions that are stuck to it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results