shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloudy trillions

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I’m new here. I wanted to see if I could get anyone to comment on their experience with trillion diamonds as side stones.
The long story: my husband purchased the ring in 2009. A princess cut center stone with two trillions on either side. Most beautiful ring I’ve ever seen. After a short time, the side stones got dirty and nothing we did could make them clean. We tried all the tricks hot water dish soap toothbrush - even bought a professional steamer! Nothing worked. We finally ten years later selected a jeweler who promised that the original trillions were not of good quality and insisted that the original jeweler lied to us about their color and clarity. I insisted to him that we have seen this ring clean with our own eyes and the diamonds underneath are definitely of quality but eventually we agreed and hand selected two new beautiful trillions and he had us a new setting made with the new trillions. Well guess what. Same story!!! The ring was absolutely perfect and beautiful when first out of the box. But over time the sides got cloudy and now nothing we do gets them clean. The jeweler who made the new ring refuses to make this right, won’t offer a refund and claims he’ll do us a favor if we pay him thousands more and will put two small princess stones there instead.
I am devastated over this - mostly about the most recent event. Does anyone have any experience with trillions that they could share ? I’m at a loss. I’ve included a photo of the ring. This is the cleanest I can get it. At its finest brand new form, the side stones looked as brilliant as the center stone. THANK YOU in advance !! 03F3DC02-DE49-4423-9785-67578ACAC98B.jpeg EFC4CB91-F886-4B01-AA37-C99B1851132A.jpeg 46CC9B0C-3742-4343-869F-4144C6C2EAC4.jpeg

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my.... those do look cloudy! I have no advice but I am interested to hear what others say!

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
I am genuinely sorry to hear about the trillions. I have a fairly similar setting with trillions, and I agree that they seem to not sparkle as much if not perfectly clean. The only thing that has helped mine is my (small at home) ultrasonic cleaner. Photo attached for reference 1BF8490E-0951-4439-A8F7-AD277DD07792.jpeg

Last edited:

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone! When the jeweler puts it in the professional steamer it comes out clean...ish but never close to where it was when it was first brand new without a speck of anything on it. The center stone always way outshines the side stones. To get the center stone to sparkle that way is effortless! A little dawn dish soap and some hot water and it looks brand new. It’s hard having the trillions next to it because they always look inferior. We have tried various steamers as well, even bought a professional one and nothing works to get them to sparkle. I know the potential is there I just can’t figure out how to get the dirt out from under there !

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone! When the jeweler puts it in the professional steamer it comes out clean...ish but never close to where it was when it was first brand new without a speck of anything on it. The center stone always way outshines the side stones. To get the center stone to sparkle that way is effortless! A little dawn dish soap and some hot water and it looks brand new. It’s hard having the trillions next to it because they always look inferior. We have tried various steamers as well, even bought a professional one and nothing works to get them to sparkle. I know the potential is there I just can’t figure out how to get the dirt out from under there !

Do you have any digital microscope? My bro used it to spot the dirt that were caught in the diamond settings and it took him a few hours of targeting spot clearning and clearing away all the dirt to make it sparkly again.

He used hot water, soft toothbrush and tons of patience. I salute him for his patience to make our rings as good as new.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
There's definitely dirt and oils underneath the trillions. The gallery and bottom doesn't look open enough for bristles to get into, but a good scrub is what it needs.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If your in the usa use this to see if there is a local independent appraiser near you to look at it and offer advise.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless those stones are fracture filled, which is extremely unlikely in stones of this size and shape, this is really just oils and lotions and potions stuck to the pavilion, exactly as @ForteKitty said!

(I’m a bit confused about the refund thing. A jeweller would not be expected to offer a refund because a customer’s diamonds are dirty. Is your concern that the trillions are clarity enhanced? Was there any conversation about this at time of sale?)

I’ve seen this sort of thing before. My MIL’s diamond had a film of goodness knows what bonded to the surface. I finally got it mostly clean after several hours and a box of toothpicks.

Your mount isn’t allowing you to really get into the no and crannies, unfortunately.

There's definitely dirt and oils underneath the trillions. The gallery and bottom doesn't look open enough for bristles to get into, but a good scrub is what it needs.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I would think it has to be the mounting. Have you tried an ammonia solution? Some time ago texasleager suggested a small stiff paint brush from a hobby supply store for cleaning. I would also buy this and put a bit of cotton in the ends.

AmScope High Precision 4 3/4 in. Curved Fine Tip Tweezers​

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried an ultrasonic cleaner? They really do clean very differently than a steamer. I got this little Magnasonic from Amazon, and it gets everything clean! I bought a pre-loved ring once from a new mom, and I swear to you there was baby food cemented into that setting. It took a few rounds through the ultrasonic, but that ring is now a sparkle bomb! It's also great for keeping my rose cuts looking new, since they show dirt & oils more easily.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried an ultrasonic cleaner? They really do clean very differently than a steamer. I got this little Magnasonic from Amazon, and it gets everything clean! I bought a pre-loved ring once from a new mom, and I swear to you there was baby food cemented into that setting. It took a few rounds through the ultrasonic, but that ring is now a sparkle bomb! It's also great for keeping my rose cuts looking new, since they show dirt & oils more easily.

I own that one too and it does a great job. I give things a good scrub first then pop them in!

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
Unless those stones are fracture filled, which is extremely unlikely in stones of this size and shape, this is really just oils and lotions and potions stuck to the pavilion, exactly as @ForteKitty said!

(I’m a bit confused about the refund thing. A jeweller would not be expected to offer a refund because a customer’s diamonds are dirty. Is your concern that the trillions are clarity enhanced? Was there any conversation about this at time of sale?)

I’ve seen this sort of thing before. My MIL’s diamond had a film of goodness knows what bonded to the surface. I finally got it mostly clean after several hours and a box of toothpicks.

Your mount isn’t allowing you to really get into the no and crannies, unfortunately.

Thank you- I’m upset because he insisted to me that the problem was the previous trillions were of bad quality and that’s why they looked dirty. He promised it I bought a new set of trillions from him and he made a new setting that I would never have them look cloudy again and if I did it was an easy fix to clean it up. He lied to me and then pretended he didn’t know why I was mad after this ring didn’t solve the problem.

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock

Yes we have done an ultrasonic cleaner as well as bought a professional steamer.

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
I would think it has to be the mounting. Have you tried an ammonia solution? Some time ago texasleager suggested a small stiff paint brush from a hobby supply store for cleaning. I would also buy this and put a bit of cotton in the ends.

AmScope High Precision 4 3/4 in. Curved Fine Tip Tweezers​

Thank you-what do you mean by put cotton on the ends? On the ends of the paintbrush? Also - what do you make the ammonia solution out of ?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you- I’m upset because he insisted to me that the problem was the previous trillions were of bad quality and that’s why they looked dirty. He promised it I bought a new set of trillions from him and he made a new setting that I would never have them look cloudy again and if I did it was an easy fix to clean it up. He lied to me and then pretended he didn’t know why I was mad after this ring didn’t solve the problem.

Ugh. I see. I get it! But how long has it been? Are you within your refund period? What recourse do you have otherwise?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

Creepy and very unethical. Did you trade the previous ones in?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I would be very angry too. Did you keep your old trillions?

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
@sad about trillions Since it sounds like it's the setting and not the trillions that are the issue, would you consider a reset to a more open setting? With another jeweler of course. Cuz this guy is sketch.

After reading through, this was my thought as well. Something more open would be much better for cleaning, and with a different jeweler.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That wasn’t fair. I’m sorry @sad about trillions. You told him your old trillions looked fine at first, and he blew your assertions off.

Do you have hard water by chance? How often do you scrub your ring? I feel like this mount might be salvageable, or at least - a reset could be postponed, if you can get the stones clean right now. Even if that requires unsetting and resetting. Then perhaps being very diligent about daily cleaning... But a more open mount would certainly be easier.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry that happened to you. :(2 Your ring is pretty.

I have a similar problem with trillions and if I had to do it over would never get them as side stones. I use hot water and dish soap and let it soak for a while, then hold it under running water to rinse.

BADAED6B-96FC-4A94-8061-AAEFE2D70CAE.jpeg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a three stone diamond ring with closed back trillion sides. The center stone was a gorgeous OEC but the trillions due to the setting were dreadful. I just could not get them clean. I sold the ring on LT at a loss.

I also had this ring with trillions. I did upgrade the trillions for better quality than the original pair because of the same issue. These cleaned up much easier and better, and I could get under them with a toothbrush, but I would agree with others that they never sparkled as pretty as I could get the center stone to sparkle, unless I took it back to the jeweler for cleaning.

F738E2D2-EE6F-477D-80D4-56EAB1ECEF84.jpeg

A17008C6-A5CB-496A-A772-C18569E500A2.jpeg

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Asking out of ignorance but why would trillions as a side stone (vs round or another shape) be more likely to be set in such a way that it’s hard to keep them clean?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
your trillions look filthy underneath on the pavilion. Steam or a toothbrush isn’t going to be able to get under there.

also, do you wear your ring all the time?

you are going to need an ultrasonic, some powder cascade dishwashing detergent, near boiling water and about 3 days worth of effort and probably an overnight soak to get them clean.

i‘ve never soaked in cascade, so I’d only soak in something a professional recommends. Probably Mr. Clean citrus and water will be good.

Again, tell me when you take your ring off.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I like boiling water and dish detergent soaks for my rings. I use Dawn detergent. Just put the ring in a coffee cup, as a couple of drops of detergent and boiling water. Let them soak for 15 minutes, take them out and use a toothbrush or other brush to get inside the ring where lotion builds up. This works fine for metal and diamonds. Not suggested for delicate gems like opals or pearls.

Sorry your jeweler tried to put one over on you with trillion replacement.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results