shape
carat
color
clarity

Clear diamond cloudy in the sun, 41 pavillion 33.5 crown vs1 - why?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think we can do PM’s here on PS.

I found his email address. I'll email him with the info as soon as I ship it back since I'm just as curious to know why this stone does what it does, and perhaps he could alert the GIA to update their reporting practice.

I've seen several pricescope threads of people reporting their high clarity diamonds looking cloudy but pretty much all of the threads went unresolved and no one pursued the matter adequately with enough photos. I wonder if this happens more often than we're aware, and I just happened to notice it because I have several stones to compare it to and it deviated from what I expected?

Last edited:

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Blue,
Thanks for taking more pics and posting here! Good to see and compare with both diamonds together!
-C4C

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Blue,
Thanks for taking more pics and posting here! Good to see and compare with both diamonds together!
-C4C

I was frustrated with many of the treads lacking photos while reporting cloudy stones so I am hoping these photos could help others.

I ended up getting attached to both stones :cry: so I suppose the photos will help me remember them together, especially to compare to once I manage to find a nice new mate for the Si1 stone one day.

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
Interesting. Especially as you post they do not have fluorescence.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a flaw. It is part of the character of a natural diamond to not all behave the same right?What are you planning to do with them? Chances are once set, nobody would notice. But what really matters is also whether it will matter to you, or your mind.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting. Especially as you post they do not have fluorescence.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a flaw. It is part of the character of a natural diamond to not all behave the same right?What are you planning to do with them? Chances are once set, nobody would notice. But what really matters is also whether it will matter to you, or your mind.

Oh yes I would gather this would absolutely be considered a flaw by many, especially for people who seek out and pay a premium for ideal 3excellent VS1 stones. The haziness is unmistakable in the sun, and someone will definitely notice it even after set at a glance.

I considered keeping the stone hoping for your assumptions but I no longer believe I’m being overly particular and critical of the stone - which my husband thought seeing my obsessive behavior.

The thing is, I have already returned an initial pair of diamonds my husband and I bought from a local jeweler ( husband’s friends’ friend) because I noticed the girdles were chipped and I noticed the problem only after they were set. The jeweler tried to convince me I wouldn’t find a better replacement ( which he was offering at only 10% margin) and that no one would notice the girdle defect (not noted on the certs) but I knew there was no way I was keeping them. I had him return the stones to his supplier but boy oh boy the situation was incredibly awkward...

Diamonds are indeed full of idiosyncrasies but should anyone accept unexpected flaws when those differences amount to cost differences at thousands? If that were the case, I should simply buy a pair of preset earrings (less than half the cost) and call it a day?

Last edited:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes I would gather this would absolutely be considered a flaw by many, especially for people who seek out and pay a premium for ideal 3excellent VS1 stones. The haziness is unmistakable in the sun, and someone will definitely notice it even after set at a glance.

I considered keeping the stone hoping for your assumptions but I no longer believe I’m being overly particular and critical of the stone - which my husband thought seeing my obsessive behavior.

The thing is, I have already returned an initial pair of diamonds my husband and I bought from a local jeweler ( husband’s friends’ friend) because I noticed the girdles were chipped and I noticed the problem only after they were set. The jeweler tried to convince me I wouldn’t find a better replacement ( which he was offering at only 10% margin) and that no one would notice the girdle defect (not noted on the certs) but I knew there was no way I was keeping them. I had him return the stones to his supplier but boy oh boy the situation was incredibly awkward...

Diamonds are indeed full of idiosyncrasies but should anyone accept unexpected flaws when those differences amount to cost differences at thousands? If that were the case, I should simply buy a pair of preset earrings (less than half the cost) and call it a day?

I think returning that stone is the best course of action, the haziness is noticeable especially to you and they're too big an investment to not be happy with them. I'm so sorry this happened but thank you for sharing and for the photos, it's very useful.

Please keep us posted what happens and especially if Sergey takes the diamond and can see what's going on with it.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I called the dealer today and they're not believing what I've documented here with photos, saying that the stone didn't look like that before they shipped it out. I told the agent that I understand, because I myself didn't see the problem until I saw it in the bright sun the next day when I initially called him with the problem. I asked that the stone to be arranged for Sergey to purchase/research but they're not committing to arranging this as of yet. I asked him to check with the management for this exceptional circumstance and he says they want to take a step at a time and examine the stone once I ship it back. I guess we'll see how this pans out.

Last edited:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I am fully understanding the dealer. I am also want to examine the diamond :)

Sergey,

I'm so glad you're willing to procure the stone and examine it personally. I'm hoping that you could examine it thoroughly and somehow influence change with the GIA and other labs to update their grading practices one day.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Out of my hands now. I've just shipped it back. sad :((
We'll see what the dealer has to say...

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called the dealer today and they're not believing what I've documented here with photos, saying that the stone didn't look like that before they shipped it out. I told the agent that I understand, because I myself didn't see the problem until I saw it in the bright sun the next day when I initially called him with the problem. I asked that the stone to be arranged for Sergey to purchase/research but they're not committing to arranging this as of yet. I asked him to check with the management for this exceptional circumstance and he says they want to take a step at a time and examine the stone once I ship it back. I guess we'll see how this pans out.
Good luck! Keep us posted! I hope they aren’t implying this is your doing?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck! Keep us posted! I hope they aren’t implying this is your doing?

Unfortunately, that's the vibe I got from the phone conversation. Pleasant while things were going well, but I definitely sensed skepticism to my disappointment. I was going to purchase a replacement stone from them with potentially many referrals and purchases in the future , but we'll see how they handle the situation first or they'll lose out on customer equity.

However, I'm certain they'll soon see what I've documented here clearly as soon as they light up the stone up with ANY bright light. VS1 certified or not, a cloudy stone.

Last edited:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just wondering if you had any updates on this?

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eek. Just saw this thread after placing an order for my BGD Blue series diamond. Has me a little concerned now. I have nothing positive to contribute, as I'm still learning all this stuff but I would like to thank you for sharing. I wouldn't be happy with the performance either and would definitely send the stone back.

I'm not sure who you purchased from but I don't like the fact they are giving you flack over the return. They may not like it but if you are within the limitations of their policy then they don't really get the option to try and make this your fault or blow it off like you are being too picky.

Every company faces challenges from time to time. The difference between good & bad is how they choose to handle those challenges. I hope you continue to update this thread so we know how this turns out for you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eek. Just saw this thread after placing an order for my BGD Blue series diamond. Has me a little concerned now. I have nothing positive to contribute, as I'm still learning all this stuff but I would like to thank you for sharing. I wouldn't be happy with the performance either and would definitely send the stone back.

I'm not sure who you purchased from but I don't like the fact they are giving you flack over the return. They may not like it but if you are within the limitations of their policy then they don't really get the option to try and make this your fault or blow it off like you are being too picky.

Every company faces challenges from time to time. The difference between good & bad is how they choose to handle those challenges. I hope you continue to update this thread so we know how this turns out for you.

I promise you Sledge, you have absolutely nothing to worry about with your stone, you are in superb hands with Brian and Lesley!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I promise you Sledge, you have absolutely nothing to worry about with your stone, you are in superb hands with Brian and Lesley!

Thank you @Lorelei, you are always holding my hand through this process, LOL. You really do rock and I appreciate all the help and encouragement! ;)2

I will update my other thread, but Lesley is now helping with the setting dilemma.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Lorelei, you are always holding my hand through this process, LOL. You really do rock and I appreciate all the help and encouragement! ;)2

I will update my other thread, but Lesley is now helping with the setting dilemma.

You're most welcome Sledge! You'll be ecstatic with your diamond, just you wait!;))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, nothing to worry about with Brian and Lesley!. they will not sell you a problem stone.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock

I wouldn't worry about a diamond order through BGD Blues. I believe they hand-select fluorescent diamond while avoiding cloudiness.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
As I understood the diamond is not available yet.

Sergey, I sent an email to them again yesterday about selling you the diamond. They're being very tight lipped about any findings, but processed for my refund. You might want to ping them and inquire about it directly as well with the info I've sent to you previously.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't worry about a diamond order through BGD Blues. I believe they hand-select fluorescent diamond while avoiding cloudiness.

Thank for another vote of confidence! While I would certainly expect no issues given the things I've read about BGD, it is reassuring to see the community step up and provide the warm fuzzies because they have such a strong reputation for being a quality vendor that stands behind their stones & work.

Sergey, I sent an email to them again yesterday about selling you the diamond. They're being very tight lipped about any findings, but processed for my refund. You might want to ping them and inquire about it directly as well with the info I've sent to you previously.

I'm glad they processed your refund. I think they owe you an apology as well, and should provide you some sort of a discount for the hassle.

Them being tight lipped I can understand. If it was my shop and reputation, I would like a chance to investigate and determine the cause before I shipped it out for further analysis and possible scrutiny. But that is a PRODUCT issue. Making sure you, THEIR CUSTOMER, is properly taken care of is a separate issue that can be resolved better IMO.

LongAgoFarAway

Rough_Rock
ok, the spotlight should have been fairly low in UV then.
I really dont like to draw a conclusion on a stone I haven't seen in person but it certainly sounds like something is up internally with the stone.
Hi blueMA,
I would like to buy the diamond for research. Could you please send GIA grading number and vendor contacts?

Dear Kark K and Serg,
Could this possibly be Tyndall effect? I'm not very knowledgeable about diamonds, but I was curious about whether that is what could be going on with this diamond. Tyndall effect will show up in bright light and cause a blue glow in appearance similar to fluorescence.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Sledge, although I was disappointed at their reaction, I understood why because the stone was so unique and bizarre. In most of the lighting environments, it was absolutely gorgeous and clear as can be.

I actually insisted the vendor to verify both stones (separate international sources) together before shipping out despite separate order dates because I was more worried about the SI1 stone not matching up to the VS1. The rep and a manger looked at the stones together and assured me that they matched up so well that they had a tough time differentiating the stones even under a loupe, and praised that I did really well to select those pair. When I received it, I was also very pleased under all indoor lighting, including in my sun room and laundry room under bright florescent light...until the next day under BRIGHT sun/direct spot light. I suppose seeing my photos with their recent loupe examination fresh in memory by multiple individuals, it just didn't match up.

I'm still searching for a matching stone, but having a difficult time because the VS1 stone was so nice except for that one odd flaw.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear Kark K and Serg,
Could this possibly be Tyndall effect? I'm not very knowledgeable about diamonds, but I was curious about whether that is what could be going on with this diamond. Tyndall effect will show up in bright light and cause a blue glow in appearance similar to fluorescence.
That is a possibility.
Light being scattered by micro-inclusions.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Kark K and Serg,
That is a possibility.
Light being scattered by micro-inclusions.

I am learning all sorts of things today. FYI, I don't recall whom but someone earlier in this thread mentioned the "genetic makeup" of the diamond itself could be the culprit and how each diamond may have very minor variations.

Sledge, although I was disappointed at their reaction, I understood why because the stone was so unique and bizarre. In most of the lighting environments, it was absolutely gorgeous and clear as can be.

I actually insisted the vendor to verify both stones (separate international sources) together before shipping out despite separate order dates because I was more worried about the SI1 stone not matching up to the VS1. The rep and a manger looked at the stones together and assured me that they matched up so well that they had a tough time differentiating the stones even under a loupe, and praised that I did really well to select those pair. When I received it, I was also very pleased under all indoor lighting, including in my sun room and laundry room under bright florescent light...until the next day under BRIGHT sun/direct spot light. I suppose seeing my photos with their recent loupe examination fresh in memory by multiple individuals, it just didn't match up.

I'm still searching for a matching stone, but having a difficult time because the VS1 stone was so nice except for that one odd flaw.

I can certainly understand their surprise and disappointment. This isn't good for anyone involved. I just don't think it's right they try to discredit you and/or place any blame that eludes to you damaging the stone. I understand how that would have been their knee-jerk reaction but they should be better than that. Depending on the dollar size of your purchase, it would have been more reasonable for them to agree to a 3rd party review or just honor their return policy without hassle.

I guess it's water under the bridge, and if you (who knows all the details) are okay with it then it's not my battle to fight. I'd just prefer a vendor handle themselves better is all. Sorry if I came off aggressive, my protective side sometimes shines through at the wrong moments.

On another note, I need to go back and read your light test methods. When I get all my stuff finalized and everything arrives I'd like to do some testing myself for fun.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Return the stone.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I am learning all sorts of things today. FYI, I don't recall whom but someone earlier in this thread mentioned the "genetic makeup" of the diamond itself could be the culprit and how each diamond may have very minor variations.

I can certainly understand their surprise and disappointment. This isn't good for anyone involved. I just don't think it's right they try to discredit you and/or place any blame that eludes to you damaging the stone. I understand how that would have been their knee-jerk reaction but they should be better than that. Depending on the dollar size of your purchase, it would have been more reasonable for them to agree to a 3rd party review or just honor their return policy without hassle.

I guess it's water under the bridge, and if you (who knows all the details) are okay with it then it's not my battle to fight. I'd just prefer a vendor handle themselves better is all. Sorry if I came off aggressive, my protective side sometimes shines through at the wrong moments.

On another note, I need to go back and read your light test methods. When I get all my stuff finalized and everything arrives I'd like to do some testing myself for fun.

I understand, and as I've been a huge Internet shopper since the 90s, I generally stick with companies with great customer service handling, especially the ones that shines through extraordinary circumstances. In this situation, it was a trade-off of a huge selection that I was able to personally research vs. going with more well-known reputable diamond vendors with superior CS with limited selection. Yes, I was disappointed with their knee-jerk reaction but costly diamond isn't something I buy everyday, so I'm willing to put up and try not take things personally in return for options/cost savings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results