shape
carat
color
clarity

Clear diamond cloudy in the sun, 41 pavillion 33.5 crown vs1 - why?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I've recently purchased two diamonds for a pair of earrings.
I took a chance with the 41 pavillion angle after a lot of research, and decided on a vs1 triple excellent GIA stone with excellent H&A pattern:
0.70 carat, F, VS1
58 table
61.0% depth
33.5 crown angle
41 pavillion angle
43% pavillion depth
50% star length
75% lower half
3.5% girdle
florescence: none
clarity characteristic: Cloud, Needle
HCA advisor: 1.2, AGS chart: excellent

I later paired the above stone with the following SI1 stone with the same width:
0.71 carat, G, SI1, GIA tripple excellent
56 table
61.8% depth
34 crown angle
15% crown height
41 pavillion angle
43% pavillion depth
50% star length
80% lower half
3.5% girdle
florescence: none
clarity characteristic: Feather
HCA advisor: 1.4, AGS chart: excellent

When I initially received the stones, I loved them and congratulated my research/choice because they initially looked almost identical with naked eye and performed very similarly in most lighting situations with a lot of fire and scintillation while facing up bright. I knowingly deviated with the shallower angles and steeper pavillion than Tolkowsky's theoretical 40.75 and 34.75 ideals, but the stones are beautiful with the VS1 stone showing slightly less colored beams but throwing more white light while looking bigger from a distance. The observable differences in the light performance, however, are very minute and barely noticeable.

I was just about to have them set, but then I noticed the VS1 stone looking oddly cloudy in direct sunlight. The SI1 stone looks very similar to my H&A e-ring stone in that it goes dark with mirror reflection under singular light source, but the VS1 stone almost looks milky white under direct sunlight or spotlight. This is driving me crazy, and after pouring through these forums for answers to no avail, I decided to finally give up and ask the forum experts who may help explain this phenomenon. Is this a problem with some microscopic gaining issue in the crystal structure of the VS1 stone or it simply the shallow crown cut reflecting direct harsh light differently?

I would also love to hear from the owners of BIC stones with shallower angles if this is what they notice in their bright stones.

Except in harsh lights, the stone is crisp, bright, and beautiful with virtually no inclusions that can be detected. Here are some photos:

In the sun (looks more milkier and hazy in person):
IMG_0815.jpg IMG_0812.jpg

Indoors - not great shots but they have great symmetrical hearts and arrows with virtually no light leakage under idealscope. The VS1 stone on the left with all shots.
IMG_0829.jpg IMG_0804.jpg IMG_0800.jpg IMG_0825.jpg

Last edited:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick question, are you positive the VS diamond is clean and it hasn't picked up some oil or some substance?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Quick question, are you positive the VS diamond is clean and it hasn't picked up some oil or some substance?
That would be my first question also.
Mix warm water and dawn dish soap in a small plastic or paper cup, swish it around some with the diamond holder.
Repeat a couple times then swish it around in clean warm water in another cup a few times as needed and blow it off with canned air or a hair dryer no heat.
Distilled water is best.
I use real dawn soap not the generic or other brand as some of them leave a film on the stone.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I cleaned it obsessively with diamond cleaner, distilled water, rubbed/polished with cotton tips, etc., numerous times. My first reaction was that the diamond must be dirty, but I cleaned it so many times obsessively and now ruled it out. NO detectable florescence whatsoever either, and I double checked under UV light just in case as well despite the GIA cert showing none.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I cleaned it obsessively with diamond cleaner, distilled water, rubbed/polished with cotton tips, etc., numerous times. My first reaction was that the diamond must be dirty, but I cleaned it so many times obsessively and now ruled it out. NO detectable florescence whatsoever either, and I double checked under UV light just in case as well despite the GIA cert showing none.

Glad Karl is here as he really knows his onions!

Unless there's some substance it picked up that isn't coming off ( that has happened and a Pro cleaning has sorted it out - more likely with set stones though), then I'd take them to an appraiser and get an inspection and their opinion.

I might be wrong but I wouldn't have thought a cloud in VS1 could do this or the minute differences in the proportions. I'd get them professionally checked out and go from there but the bottom line is, if you're not happy, can you send this one back? An appraiser can also verify that the diamonds match the reports. Did you buy them online?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
An appraiser is a good idea.
The proportions should not cause the issue.
A GIA graded vs1 cloud "should" not be an issue but I am not willing to say it never will.
Garry H. reported a GIA vs2 that was sleepy from a cloud but I haven't heard of an issue with a vs1.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Karl_K,

I cleaned the VS1 stone once more with Dawn and microwaved distilled water, rinsed and dried it off with a hairdryer as instructed. As I expected, I still see the whitish patch that looks cloudy in the sun, and took more photos. Could this be attributed to the shallower cut reflecting light differently than something else attributed to the stone crystal structure?

IMG_0845.jpg IMG_0843.jpg IMG_0841.jpg

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a diamond that I'm noticing is cloudy in certain lighting conditions, which is especially noticeable next to my WF ACA (which is perfectly clear and perfect). I took it to David Klass to evaluate and he said that the "clouds" on the GIA cert are probably why. It has good light return per idealscope/ASET though, so I was confused. He said (please don't quote me on this, I have a crap memory, lol) that the grading labs are missing an element - the quality of the material. Like, a diamond can tick all the boxes (clarity, cut angles, color, carat) but be of a less desirable quality of diamond material, causing cloudiness.

JUST a theory that could be happening with your diamond. Needless to say, I'm bummed - I thought I bought my wife an awesome 1.7 carat diamond after doing all my homework, but it's just not an ACA.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is no red flags in the numbers of anything that would make it look cloudy.
Talk to the seller and consider an appraiser if needed would be my next step.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
HappyNewLife, I think you're right. I just took a photo of the stone facing down with a harsh spotlight on it, and there's something wrong with the ALMOST perfect stone. This breaks my heart because the stone looks so beautiful under idealscope with perfect H&A pattern and I went back and forth so many times whether to return it or not because it's so beautiful otherwise in most lights. Knowing that the VS1 stone that cost $700 more than the SI1 stone isn't performing to expectation, I should probably return it while I can than regretting later. I wish GIA does a better job for those of use trying our best to do our homework before making major purchase decisions. I'm just bummed as well...

IMG_0860.jpg

jdljbt

Rough_Rock
This is so odd. It looks like floro to me?! I know it says 'none' on the certificate, but what else could it be? It doesnt look cloudy to me, just blue!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @blueMA - and welcome!

A while back, I had an E VS2 that did exactly the same thing. There were no clouds listed on the GIA plot, and it had no fluorescence. But it showed up cloudy/hazy. A few people looked at it without seeing the cert, and said "This has to be fluorescence" - but it wasn't. I had it tested a number of times by various jewelers - as well as the grading on the GIA cert - and nothing.

So all that to say - I'm really of no help here - but you have my sympathies! Sometimes, it seems to me, it just happens. My solution was to send it back because, regardless of what the cert or the tests said, everyone agreed - it was cloudy! Are you within the return time-frame? Alternately, can it be upgraded?

I hope you can get this resolved to your liking.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I actually like the “faulty” look :) at least on the pictures. But if you don’t, it’s is probably best just to return it and get a new one.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I'm still within the return window, yet still so divided and unsettled because the stone is so flawless from inclusions with beautiful light performance. I probably shouldn't have wasted last two weeks of my lift trying to figure this out on my own - gosh I even read about the Yaw and Azimuth Shift and what not, anything related to diamonds...

I must say this Pricescope forum rules - so many experts and experienced people willing to help figure things out. I hope my photos here and this discussion helps others in the future as well.

Last edited:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
nojs... you're killing me

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although they are in the same frame, the two diamonds are in two completely different lighting conditions. Thus, their appearance differ greatly. My J VS1 looks exactly like the one on the left in the first photo, under strong sunlight, depending on how I angle it.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Flyingpig, I assure you they're in exactly the same lighting condition. I took the photos myself, countless times. Besides I see them side by side in person.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Could it be possible there are some very diffuse clouds are not visible unless there are strong spotlights on the diamond that are missed by the grading labs?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe what you saw. I should correct myself. They are probably in the same light condition. However, the diamonds may face and reflect completely different things. You have two exact mirrors side by side in the same room. But you may see completely different reflections in each mirror.
Diamonds are mirrors. Each facet reflects light from a very specific angle only.
In some photos, I see lighting is rather inconsistent, and got light coming in from certain directions only (the very first two photos). In the very last photo you posted, one stone receives significantly stronger light than the other.
Of course, I am just talking about these photos. If you have done more tests in real life and not happy with the VS1 or have any doubt, you should return.

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's the grade-setting cloud.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
grn89uk - yes the GIA cert includes "cloud", which I believe is a patch that I couldn't see until I saw directly into the stone with a spot light at an angle. It still earned the stone VS1, and the stone is exceptionally clear, but I wonder if the graining of the entire crystal structure may be acting against direct harsh light.

flyingpig - I had to move the spotlight off-center earlier to avoid strong fire from either stone.
I took more photos at varying degrees with more consistent lighting below.

IMG_0863.jpg
IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0880.jpg
IMG_0879.jpg
IMG_0877.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 25

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Did you independently verify the identity of the stones when you received them? Are they inscribed and if so, were you able to clearly read the inscriptions?
Can you post the cert number of the VS1 in question?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Yes clearly inscribed, GIA tripple excellent.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very unusual for a VS1 to have a transparency issue. Does the GIA report have anything under the comments section? For instance, a statement like 'clarity grade based on clouds'

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Attached is the GIA cert. I grabbed the stone after seeing the cert date and it seemed so special...

Attachments

• GIAvs1.pdf
    647.2 KB · Views: 301

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand why it bothers you. I think it would bother me as well if I could ever see my own earrings while I was in the sun.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
grn89uk - yes the GIA cert includes "cloud", which I believe is a patch that I couldn't see until I saw directly into the stone with a spot light at an angle. It still earned the stone VS1, and the stone is exceptionally clear, but I wonder if the graining of the entire crystal structure may be acting against direct harsh light.

flyingpig - I had to move the spotlight off-center earlier to avoid strong fire from either stone.
I took more photos at varying degrees with more consistent lighting below.

IMG_0863.jpg
IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0880.jpg
IMG_0879.jpg
IMG_0877.jpg

Thank you. Now, I really think it is not just the lighting environment or the cleanliness of the stone.
Good work. Thank you for posting these photos.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
It bothers me especially because the stone looked perfect with what a cert date! My husband gave me a free reign to select any stones and it screamed "grabb me!" for our anniversary gift. Now it hurts to think about returning it because of this unusual FLAW, and it's driving me nuts, especially because I still haven't found a better stone selection after weeks of looking.

In a way this forum response justifies my obsessing over this, and I knew this shouldn't be normal. My husband thinks I've gone crazy.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It bothers me especially because the stone looked perfect with what a cert date! My husband gave me a free reign to select any stones and it screamed "grabb me!" for our anniversary gift. Now it hurts to think about returning it because of this unusual FLAW, and it's driving me nuts, especially because I still haven't found a better stone selection after weeks of looking.

In a way this forum response justifies my obsessing over this, and I knew this shouldn't be normal. My husband thinks I've gone crazy.
There is definitely something scattering and reflecting light. Maybe clouds, maybe fluo that was missed during grading or both. Regardless, return the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results