shape
carat
color
clarity

cleaning Pave

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

What is your favorite method for cleaning your pave rings? I was using hot water and dawn multiple times a week with baby toothbrush... but when i brought the ring to steven for a reset he commented that my pave was dirty.... So.. please let me know how you keep it sparkling.

Thanks
wendy

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the recipe my grandmother used in her antique shop (for non-fragile items): 6 parts hot water, 1 part clear ammonia, 1 squirt dawn blue dish soap. Elbow grease after soaking for 5 or so minutes. Rinse with warm water.

The ammonia turns fats and oils into soap that can be washed away. The dawn captures the fats in solution that can then be washed away. use hot (not boiling) water, just like you were doing the dishes.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use Connoisseur Dazzle Stik on the entire ring, comes out great.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found that on my pave ammonia-based cleaners get it much cleaner than just soap.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The ammonia-dawn-hot water recipe works really well on pave pieces, which can be incredibly difficult to get clean. You have to be careful with pave and not use ultrasonic cleaning methods frequently, as it can loosen up the stones. In a pinch, hot water and white vinegar (50/50 blend) works well, but you have to let it sit and soak.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi.

This is what I do. I boil water in my electric kettle. I put some dawn and some windex in a glass. I pour boiling water over it. I put my rings in there. Wait 20 minutes, fish out with the end of the toothbrush, then use a soft toothbrush to brush all over the ring. Put the ring back in the glass. Leave till water is room temperature. Take ring out, pour soapy water over ring. Use the toothbrush all over the ring again. Rinse under faucet (make sure the drain is closed and blocked) and dry with a lint free cloth.

That's what I do.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
when I have time: hotwater with dawn. my rings often have colored center stones so I don't do ammonia which also messes with my asthma. I do however use 91% rubbing alcohol as a final rinse (thank you Kenny :bigsmile: ) that not only gets rid of any residual soap or any yucky stuff like lotion or whatever, but also dries spot free. The only time I don't use alcohol would be on pearls, opals, or moonstones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results