shape
carat
color
clarity

Citrine - what to do with it??

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just picked up a citrine set in platinum. My jeweler gave it to me to fill in an empty six prong solitaire setting when I reset my diamond. The color feels weird to me!! Like candy. I wanna pop it in my mouth like a jolly rancher. Any suggestions on how to wear it? Is it a RHR? Bands that would go? Or will it end up in the jewelry box?

image_835.jpg

Thanks for any ideas.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
From the picture, I would not think the stone is citrine. Move this thread to Colored Stones and I'm sure you'll get more responses.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pokerface|1385614344|3564367 said:
From the picture, I would not think the stone is citrine. Move this thread to Colored Stones and I'm sure you'll get more responses.

yep, already did. thanks.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...Yeah, that doesn't look like citrine to me at all! Do you like it?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1385622899|3564401 said:
Hmmm...Yeah, that doesn't look like citrine to me at all! Do you like it?

Oh. My jeweler told me it was. He has a whole box of them. I don't know if I like it. I'm trying to get used to it.

What do you think it is??

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure! Do you have any more pictures? Is it that same color in the picture? It looks like it has a tinge of green to it....

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
It actually looks a bit more like a sphene (titanite). There's some interesting colour play going on, but that may just be some reflections from clothing. I wouldn't say that's a typical cut used for a citrine either.

Other possibility is lemon quartz, which is really just a colour variation on the same quartz family that citrine belongs to. I have a lemon quartz pendant that is a not dissimilar colour.

I agree with the above that you need more photos though.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Im not sure exactly if Quartz has to be a specific hue...whether golden yellow, honey, orange, etc to be classified as Citrine or not, but I am pretty sure that is yellow Quartz. Some may call all yellow Quartz "Citrine", some only certain colors. Ive seen this material referred to as Lemon Quartz. I'm pretty sure that color of Quartz is a result of treatment, but I am not sure if it is heated only, irradiated, or both to attain that color.

Its not a "valuable" stone per sae, but it can have really nice coloration, large size, and this one looks cut especially well.

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
I think it's pretty as you are wearing it. Colour wise it looks a bit like a Mali garnet to me.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They treat quartz a range of ways in China to get this type of coloured stone. It's cheap and it looks nice and bright so people buy it. It might be O.K as a bright coloured pendant or they are popular here for teen rings, but are usually smaller than yours..... do you like it?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I doubt it's a mali garnet. She said he had a whole bunch of them so I bet it's lemon quartz or something along those lines.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, my bet is on treated quartz. It looks like a very pretty lemon quartz. At the risk of stating the obvious, its up to you and your style in order to decide whether you will wear it or not...

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really pretty - looks sparkly - I would wear it as a rhr just as you have it in the pic - it looks nice with that band! I feel the same way about colored stones, I find them delicious looking! :cheeky:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, thanks for thinking about this one for me. I found the written receipt thing he gave me when I left the setting with them. He wrote yellow topaz or citrine. Maybe that is the same as a lemon quartz? It's ok. I guess I'll wear it for fun. I was gonna sell the setting because that thing is platinum. Maybe I'll sell it with the stone. Would that be bad form?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results