shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrono...show me RED...with no modifier of any kind...please

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Re: Chrono...show me RED...with no modifier of any kind...pl

I don't remember. I just know that it was more per carat than my red spinel, and I didn't like the red with orange more than mine, so I reasoned that it was overpriced (for me). Still, it looks fantastic and I wanted it badly.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1361480505|3386780 said:
pregcurious|1361480137|3386768 said:
Chris, I thought you might want to see this spinel. A while ago, the owner posted a pic of this, and I found out who the vendor was in the US. I absolutely loved the look of the stone in the pic. I could see an orange modifier, and emailed the US vendor for the price and he confirmed it had orange. Based on the strong orange modifier, I did not buy it because I felt it was overpriced for the amount of orange. At the right price, I would have snapped it up because I think it's beautiful. Someone else, however, must have thought the price was correct because it is not available.

Ditto. Gorgeous spinel. Do I see a strong orange modifier? Definitely. Does it make it less beautiful? No. However, knowing that it has a strong orange modifier allows me to know if I am overpaying for the stone or paying a fair price or getting a great deal.

Exactly! I could hug you, Chrono.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I'd probably pay $400/ct for that spinel, even though I can see the orange. Is that considered fair? I haven't purchased gems in a long time.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock

This has been my Red benchmark for the past year.

r4229_4d0634b8d5fb4.jpg

~Justin

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've forgotten the size of Antoine's spinel but I think it was huge. Because spinels are rarely that large and the saturation is strong, $400/ct could be too low if it is around 5 carats. Spinel prices are also ridiculously high today, in particular the reds and a certain blue.

Justin,
I have inside word that Leon photoshops the colour of the coloured stones on his website to look nicer.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ChrisA222|1361479485|3386740 said:
Forgive me Deb, because I have never seen one of these reports before, so I dont know how to read them. I also do not know anything about your stone. I haven't seen one single picture...

So I am curious...

Why does the color say only 2.5 out of 80? That to me would indicate a pretty poor color? Since that cannot be right, What does that number mean, exactly. So I am guessing i am way off in thinking that 80 is ideal. Help!

Also curious to see that the stone was only given 65% red, and yet it is still classified as red by AGL. So how much red does a stone have to be to be called red? 51%?

This is all new to me...and very interesting. Looking forward to hearing someone break it down for me...

Hi, Chris- Have your questions been answered now? I saw that Chrono sent you to an AGL sample report and that there has been a lot of discussion since you posted this original query to me. I will post a photo of my ring. If you still have questions, please let me know!

Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

_3902.jpg

mynewspinelring12.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

That particular one Pregcurious posted was only 2.5ct. (it's on the picture)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

To me, this is very red, but I'm not Chrono. I'd like to hear her opinion on this stone.

elizabeth-taylor-jewelry-exhibition-ruby-diamond-ring-van-cleef-profile.jpg

elizabeth-taylor-collection-van-cleef-ruby-ring-2.jpg

elizabeth-taylor-collection-van-cleef-ruby-ring.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

TL, I think I saw that ruby when it was in LA. I remember thinking it was really pink. Might have been the lighting though.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Yes, it was 2.5 ct. I would have paid more than $400/ct, but I know it was priced much higher. Hence it is not mine. Oh well. I'm sure someone out there is happy though.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

This has been my real life experience with red.

By the way, one of these stones is synthetic, and none of them are entirely accurate to what I see with my eyes.

_3901.jpg

img_2913.jpg

red_spinel__2_.jpg

red_stone4.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ForteKitty|1361482043|3386831 said:
TL, I think I saw that ruby when it was in LA. I remember thinking it was really pink. Might have been the lighting though.

Did it look like these photos in person?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Only 2.5 ct...okay. If you are a good negotiator and he owes you a favour, he might let you walk away with it for that low otherwise he will sell it for much more, not because of the orange modifier but the fabulously strong saturation. As Justin noted in his Tucson review, spinel prices have gone up significantly so I doubt your offer of $400/ct will be accepted.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm surprised at this question because I'm not sure that anybody has seen a red without a modifier.

If you look at Deb's lovely spinel it has 65% red, 15% pink/purple and the rest is orange. However the 80% combined red/pink/purple mean that this is a "red" stone. The orange is, to all intents and purposes, cancelled out.

People either prefer an orange or brown modifier OR lean towards pink or purple - which are the most common modifiers. For example, I lean towards pink/purple and don't like orange in any of my stones so when I see the Spinel that Preg posted it screams orange to me. I don't see red, I see orange. Clearly that's how I see colour and it doesn't make me any more right than somebody who prefers orange and would hate a purple modifier.

The one that TL has just posted appeals far more to me because of the pink/purple modifier.

If you have seen a red Chris without a modifier I'd love to see it - I don't think one exists but live in hope.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I see pink in that ruby TL posted, but I would be happy to have it! Actually, the rubies at the Smithsonian look pink to me :lol:. Rubies have a glow though, so I think of them as being different than red spinels.

Mmm, I love Deb's ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL,
I see red, purple and pink in that ruby. No idea who it looks in real life though but I'd love to have it. :devil: The saturation is drool worthy!

Synthetics have come a long way. They are no longer inclusion free and also come in desaturated colours.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD|1361482275|3386843 said:
I'm surprised at this question because I'm not sure that anybody has seen a red without a modifier.

If you look at Deb's lovely spinel it has 65% red, 15% pink/purple and the rest is orange. However the 80% combined red/pink/purple mean that this is a "red" stone. The orange is, to all intents and purposes, cancelled out.

People either prefer an orange or brown modifier OR lean towards pink or purple - which are the most common modifiers. For example, I lean towards pink/purple and don't like orange in any of my stones so when I see the Spinel that Preg posted it screams orange to me. I don't see red, I see orange. Clearly that's how I see colour and it doesn't make me any more right than somebody who prefers orange and would hate a purple modifier.

The one that TL has just posted appeals far more to me because of the pink/purple modifier.

If you have seen a red Chris without a modifier I'd love to see it - I don't think one exists but live in hope.

I prefer the pinkish reds a lot, but I've seen synthetic stones that are pretty red. I don't care much for orange reds, but taste is subjective.

I think it's also easier to see pure reds on an opaque 2 dimensional subject, than in a 3d transparent crystal.

red_lipstick.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

TL|1361482155|3386837 said:
ForteKitty|1361482043|3386831 said:

Did it look like these photos in person?

I think it looked more pink in person. Maybe the lighting was off? All the diamonds, while gorgeous, looked yellow too.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

......... and what's really interesting is that the last few posts demonstrate exactly what I was saying!

You either are a fan of:

orange/brown

or

pink/purple

in red stones.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock

I suspect that finding pure red (and also blue and green) has to do with the way light combines to create colors. But maybe I'm just making this up :naughty:

url.png

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1361481662|3386819 said:
Justin,
I have inside word that Leon photoshops the colour of the coloured stones on his website to look nicer.

Well Crap!!! That is unfortunate. Thanks for the heads up!
~Justin

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1361482185|3386839 said:
Only 2.5 ct...okay. If you are a good negotiator and he owes you a favour, he might let you walk away with it for that low otherwise he will sell it for much more, not because of the orange modifier but the fabulously strong saturation. As Justin noted in his Tucson review, spinel prices have gone up significantly so I doubt your offer of $400/ct will be accepted.

Well it's a good thing I already have mine, because I don't see myself spending more on something I can easily chip! :bigsmile: I paid about that price for my 2ct. This is the best picture of it on my phone.

orange_red_spinel_1.jpg

orange_red_spinel_2.jpg

Quantz Studios

Shiny_Rock
Trade

This is the closest to RED that I own- Which isn't saying much because I only have a handful of red stones or anything close to it. But in the hand, the cut stone looks to me as close to pure red as anything i've ever seen. For what it's worth...

Disclaimer: Yes, I am "Trade" status. NO, these are not available. :D

pb240029.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FT,
The price on my Mahenge spinel has gone up so high that I don't think I can afford it today. I'm done with buying just about any and all gems because I cannot stomach today's pricing knowing how much less I could have gotten it even as far back as last year. If I compare it back 5 years, it's even worse.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

airplay355|1361482904|3386858 said:
I suspect that finding pure red (and also blue and green) has to do with the way light combines to create colors. But maybe I'm just making this up :naughty:

Airplay, you are correct. I wrote in a previous post here that even "red" paint changes based on the time of day. My avatar was taken when the light had a blue cast, to highlight the purple modifier.

Pala writes about the influence of light on color here:
http://www.palagems.com/quality_4cs.htm

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Stonebender|1361483135|3386868 said:
This is the closest to RED that I own- Which isn't saying much because I only have a handful of red stones or anything close to it. But in the hand, the cut stone looks to me as close to pure red as anything i've ever seen. For what it's worth...

Shoot, I love those spinel crystals. :love:

Stonebender, do you have a website?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I'm kind of over gems, too, since I have chipped most of my mounted gems that I wear. Even sapphires and rubies! The only ones safe from nicks are ones I haven't worn much. It's annoying and I end up wearing diamonds 99.9% of the time because of that. :rolleyes: My 4.75ct Namibian spess from Dana is still sitting in a box!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

"There's always going to be something, so long as the price is appropriate and the buyer is aware of it and still like it, why offer snooty remarks when perfection doesn't exist?"
- Very well said, FK.

Deorwine, your comment about the background making a difference is spot on and timely. I got a "red" spinel a few days ago and am checking the color in different lighting. I've been seeing some purple, pink or orange in different circumstances. Got my first blue spinel in the mail today. It didn't come in a gem box so I put it in with the red and boy did it make the spinel look redder!

Good thread, Chris. It's helping me learn.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Post self-deleted.

Quantz Studios

Shiny_Rock
Trade

pregcurious|1361483495|3386879 said:
Stonebender|1361483135|3386868 said:

Shoot, I love those spinel crystals. :love:

Stonebender, do you have a website?

Me too! I love them so much. I try to buy the best ones when they show up. I was thrilled when I found quite a few nice ones to add to my collection down at the Tucson show!

I dont have a website, but I do have an (poorly stocked at the moment) Etsy store and Facebook page. Likely can't link you to them because of the forum rules, but a search in each place should lead you to the right place. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results