carat
color
clarity

Christies announces Elizabeth Taylor auction

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
http://www.christies.com/features/auctions/1211/elizabeth-taylor-collection/

Hi, everyone.

I have a question. How do you think I could get a catalog?

I haven't done business with them.

Would I look like a complete moron if I asked for one via their email contact about it?

Do you have to pay for catalogs?

Is it even an option to buy one?

I hate to admit this but I can't afford to bid on anything. I just want to see her jewel collection (all of it, if possible) and anything else of hers they're auctioning.

Thanks.

Danny

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Danny, there will surely be catalogs & they'll probably be not-cheap. Wouldn't surprise me to see them well over $100. Write to the catalog url & ask when they'll be available & what the price will be. You won't look silly -- in special, spectacular auctions like this they print zillions, knowing people will want to keep them for reference & enjoyment. Hey, they make a buck off you, they don't care if you've ever bought from them -- and maybe they'll use your info to send you announcements of future auctions. :tongue:

Of course they'll also have everything online as they do all their auctions so you can see it there free. Or even print out & keep the parts you like. I'll be drooling too!

--- Laurie

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's also a brisk trade in second-hand auction catalogs: I'm not ashamed to admit that I buy them like other women buy fashion magazines, and keep them to read in the bath. :bigsmile:

So if you can wait until the auction is over, you'll probably be able to pick one up for, oh, $10 or $15 instead of the usual $45 (or more, for a collectible auction catalog). I know which option I'll be going with ....

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Would love to see the catalog!!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1315235264|3010037 said:
Danny, there will surely be catalogs & they'll probably be not-cheap. Wouldn't surprise me to see them well over $100. Write to the catalog url & ask when they'll be available & what the price will be. You won't look silly -- in special, spectacular auctions like this they print zillions, knowing people will want to keep them for reference & enjoyment. Hey, they make a buck off you, they don't care if you've ever bought from them -- and maybe they'll use your info to send you announcements of future auctions. :tongue:

Of course they'll also have everything online as they do all their auctions so you can see it there free. Or even print out & keep the parts you like. I'll be drooling too!

--- Laurie

I can't wait to see the Oscar Heyman pieces. Thanks, Laurie!

Thanks, everyone! :wavey:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1315235691|3010044 said:
There's also a brisk trade in second-hand auction catalogs: I'm not ashamed to admit that I buy them like other women buy fashion magazines, and keep them to read in the bath. :bigsmile:

:bigsmile:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jewelry will be on exhibit from December 3-10 at Christie's New York galleries at Rockefeller Center. The auction will be December 13-14. I'm betting that Graff and Robert Mouawad will buy a lot of it.

After you look at the catalog on line, it might be a good idea to look at the pictures in "My Life In Jewelry" to see which pics are better.

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
I will be buying the auction catalog so I can settle in for a feast for the eyes, but here are some photos released by Christies which can be found on several news websites. I thought it would be nice to collect the photos here.

First, the "crown jewel" of Elizabeth Taylor's collection, the Krupp Diamond, now renamed "The Elizabeth Taylor Diamond." According to Christies, it is a 33.19 carat, D color, VS1 clarity diamond and was given to Taylor by Richard Burton. Auction estimate: $2,500,000-$3,500,000.

The Elizabeth Taylor Diamond.jpg

Another view of The Elizabeth Taylor Diamond.jpg

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Next is Elizabeth Taylor's "Mike Todd Tiara." Auction estimate: $60,000-$80,000,

The Mike Todd Tiara.jpg

The Mike Todd Tiara - 2.png

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
This necklace is part of a suite of Kunzite, amethyst and diamond "Triphanes" jewelry by Van Cleef & Arpels. Auction estimate: $70,000-$100,000.

Kunzite necklace by Van Cleef & Arpels.jpg

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
This is Elizabeth Taylor's "Taj Mahal Diamond," circa 1627-1628, on a gold and ruby chain by Cartier. It was a gift from Richard Burton for her 40th birthday in 1972. Auction estimate: $300,000-$500,000

The Taj Mahal Diamond.jpg

Another view of The Taj Mahal Diamond.jpg

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Elizabeth Taylor's "La Peregrina" is an early 16th century pearl, now dangling from a ruby and diamond necklace by Cartier. It was a gift from Richard Burton. Auction estimate: $2,000,000 - $3,000,000.

La Peregrina Pearl.jpg

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Elizabeth Taylor's diamond, emerald and gold "Snake" bracelet watch, by Bulgari, circa 1961. Auction estimate: $12,000-$15,000

Bulgari Snake Bracelet.jpg

Another view of Bulgari Snake Bracelet and Watch.jpg

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Elizabeth Taylor's diamond and multi-colored sapphire "Ball" ear clips, from JAR. Auction estimate: $100,000-$150,000,

JAR Ball Earclips.jpg

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Elizabeth Taylor's "Prince of Wales" brooch, which she purchased from the auction of the Duchess of Wales' jewels. Auction estimate: $400,000 - $600,000.

Prince of Wales brooch.jpg

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Elizabeth Taylor's emerald and diamond necklace and pendant, which are being auctioned separately. They are part of a suite of emerald and diamond jewels by Bulgari and were a gift from Richard Burton.

Bulgari Emerald and Diamond Necklace and Pendant.jpg

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Elizabeth Taylor's ruby and diamond necklace, part of a suite that was a gift from Mike Todd. Auction estimate: $200,000-$300,000

Ruby and Diamond Necklace from Cartier.jpg

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
A gift from the estate of Hollywood costume designer Edith Head, this is an ivory and gold necklace.

Gold and Ivory Necklace.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

OH! OH! OH!

cheers--Sharon

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are wonderful pictures - thank you for posting them.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGSHF|1315616954|3014108 said:
Elizabeth Taylor's "Prince of Wales" brooch, which she purchased from the auction of the Duchess of Wales' jewels. Auction estimate: $400,000 - $600,000.

The correct title is Duchess of Windsor. When the brooch was made (1935) the future Duke of Windsor was still Prince of Wales and as such his official emblem were the Prince of Wales' plumes, which are quite beatifully portrayed in this jewel.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGSHF|1315616311|3014098 said:
This necklace is part of a suite of Kunzite, amethyst and diamond "Triphanes" jewelry by Van Cleef & Arpels. Auction estimate: $70,000-$100,000.

Are there photographs of Dame Elizabeth wearing this jewel? I certainly can't remember having seen it before.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGSHF|1315616174|3014096 said:
Next is Elizabeth Taylor's "Mike Todd Tiara." Auction estimate: $60,000-$80,000,

I'm surpriced that the estimate for the tiara is so low... It's a lovely piece in good condition and with an uber famous ex-owner. Perhaps the diamonds are not of the best quality? I also wonder wonder if it's known who made it and when.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGSHF|1315617147|3014111 said:
Elizabeth Taylor's emerald and diamond necklace and pendant, which are being auctioned separately. They are part of a suite of emerald and diamond jewels by Bulgari and were a gift from Richard Burton.

What a great pitty... For me, the whole set - necklace with pendant, earrings, bracelets and ring should be sold as one lot.

Another thing I also wonder about is what will happen to Dame Elizabeth's antique diamonds jewes? Perhaps some have been left in the family, or they are not included in the articles published sofar?

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1315776992|3015246 said:
AGSHF|1315616954|3014108 said:

The correct title is Duchess of Windsor. When the brooch was made (1935) the future Duke of Windsor was still Prince of Wales and as such his official emblem were the Prince of Wales' plumes, which are quite beatifully portrayed in this jewel.

Bobby

Sorry, it was a typo. Clearly, Wallis Simpson became the Duchess of Windsor after she married the Duke of Windsor.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the pictures! I :love: the VCA kunzite, amethyst, gold and the Cartier ruby necklace.

Is it my imagination or does the Krupp now Elizabeth Taylor have a chip on the right hand side all the way at the bottom? :read:

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Some more photos I've come across of Elizabeth Taylor's jewels. First up, the Bulgari emerald and diamond necklace and pendant, again.

Elizabeth Taylor Bulgari diamond and emerald necklace and pendant.jpg

Elizabeth Taylor Bulgari diamond and emerald pendant.jpg

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
A diamond and emerald brooch.

Elizabeth Taylor diamond and emerald brooch.jpg

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Emerald and diamond earrings that are part of the Bulgari parure.

Elizabeth Taylor diamond and emerald earrings.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results