shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a Ruby

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
....and here are a couple of Edwardian style rings. No doubt a bit more expensive, but they would showcase the ruby nicely if you like the style....

I''m so excited for you!!

widget

074ged05.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about the purple one which starryeyed posted but without the diamonds. If the money is now down what about going for 14k gold to keep down on the cost.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJSRing10.jpg

Here is a PS''er oval--but do you think would this mount look good with a cushion? In y/g?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Can''t resist widget''s suggestion, though ruby is bigger than timmy''s there.

RubyinWdg.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is absolutely...breathtaking.
i love that setting.
30.gif

timmy!

Rough_Rock
wow that last one looks a lot like my ruby. Thanks for all the suggestions. I''m still torn. I have an end vision for the ring. 3 years from now I want to put two impeccable diamonds on either side of it. So I don''t want anything too fancy now.....what would I do with a used setting.

The ring that inspired all of this is a simple round ~1ct ruby set all by it''s lonesome in yellow gold. It''s old as dirt, the ruby is cloudy and pink, but a long long time ago it''s all a humble guy could afford for his gal.

I''m really leaning towards a clean gold setting, with a nice thick band and thats it. An updated take on an old humble classic....that may or may not be so humble.

what about using a platinum head on a gold band? Is platinum more sturdy? I definitely want a SAFE setting.

timmy!

Rough_Rock
I heart this one. Especially if the ring was gold and the Tulip was plat.

the website has it at 2400 though.

ouch

49DD13.jpg

timmy!

Rough_Rock
I think it shows what I''m looking for though.....Simple, elegant, with clean lines.....it''s smoooooth

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
That one looks nice Timmy. Maybe you can get your jeweler to make it for you for less? Worth a shot. I know finding the right setting at the right price is difficult. In case you didn''t see it, here''s another Pearlman special for $600 that is very similar to the one you posted, YG and PT, but less "tulipy":

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/closeout-jewelry/rings/022CO1/56/

If you want something really inexpensive, here are gold bands with simple solitaire mounts for $145-179.

http://www.gemnation.com/base?processor=getPage&pageName=solitairedetail_yg

These guys are great. I hope this helps - I know it''s not easy. You MUST post pictures when you finally decide. I''m sure anything you choose will be perfect. You have great taste in gemstones, so the setting isn''t far behind!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 1:42:38 PM
Author: timmy!
I heart this one. Especially if the ring was gold and the Tulip was plat.
Interesting. My ring is the opposite: shank plat, head gold.

Does your GF wear mostly yellow or white metal jewelry?

Here''s a pic of mine:

000_4275.jpg

timmy!

Rough_Rock
She wears nothing.

I''m working with a clean slate.

Quit teasing and show me the top of that thing

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 2:58:31 PM
Author: timmy!
I''m working with a clean slate. LUCKY YOU!

Quit teasing and show me the top of that thing
This is Thai ruby that I found in the estate case of a local jeweler. It''s pretty dark, but is bright and lively when the light is right.
1.gif

(I think the theory behind putting rubies in YG heads is that it''s supposed to "encourage" red, and "discourage" pink tones...)

widget

0olpc42.JPG

timmy!

Rough_Rock
mines dark too.

Maybe mine will look like this in the future

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KVSringmed004.JPG

Here is facetfires delightful ring. I think a ruby would be great set like this.....in y/g

cheers--Sharon

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 12:59:39 PM
Author: Pricescope
Can''t resist widget''s suggestion, though ruby is bigger than timmy''s there.
Whoa, beautiful!!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Widget, what a beautiful ruby ring! Definitely one of those finds-of-the-century! I really like the metal color combination. The yellow gold basket sets the ruby off nicely. The ruby is clearly "encouraged" - heck it looks gleeful! I tried to include a setting photo for timmy that demonstrated this design - white and yellow - but you defnitely communicated it best with that sparkler!

Canuk-gal, that is also a breathtaking ring! It''s simple, elegant, and really unique. Who is this designer - "Facetsfire"? I''d love to know more about them. Can you provide a link to more designs? I googled it, but didn''t find much. Wow!! Gorgeous! I''d really enjoy seeing more from them.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I think she meant that that ring belongs to Facetsfire. It is beautiful.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
OHHHHHH! Ha-ha - silly me! Thanks Cind11. For more pictures, here''s the link back to the original thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/our-new-old-2-3-carat-oec-e-ring.49501/

The designer is Michael Bondanza, she bought the setting from Pearlman''s. She is one lucky gal!

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
i have some rubies set in white gold or platinum with yelow gold heads, and love the look. I''d say stick with a simple mounting and a few years down the line, consider upgrading to a platinum setting. I have .40 each half moon diamonds on either side of mine. This is a really classic look with the diamonds hugging the stone.

Your ruby looks lovely, beautiful colour! Remember though that rubies change colour depending on how much red is in the light. Just make sure you look at it in overcast outdoor lighting; many rubies that flame under incandescent light go toward the purple in subdued daylight, and you want to love your stone day in and day out!

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I think that yellow gold does the opposite, it encourages pink tones with the warmth of the yellow.

I do like Widget''s ring though
maybe you can do a yellow head and white gold shank
but in the end, if you just instead of thorwing it away, I would look for something maybe online cheap or an estate sale

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
Remember, sellers show diamonds with blue tissue paper and rubies with yellow paper for a reason! I''ve looked at rubies against different mountings and the red is definitely enhanced against some yellow. Take your ruby and test it for yourself. Also, the prongs are a little less prominent in yellow than white metal. But I have seen some beautiful rubies set in all white gold or plat! I''d go for a white metal head with a blue sapphire if I wanted a yellow shank, because that''s a cool tones stone, but for a a warm stone, such as a ruby, you really want to boost that red.

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The reason is that rubies are almost always on the purple side of red, and so the yellow balances it, that''s also why rubies are "best" (at least look more red) set in yellow or pink gold.
Diamond will show the eaxct opposite yellow/orange/brown tone so blue balances.

Of course you may also like very purplish red rubies (like my spouse) and then choose a very purplish red ruby and have it set in platinium, but that''s clearly unusual.

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
U8hy6tched02.jpg

This stone from the threads first page is assymetrical. It bulges more on the right than the left. I don't like it...

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Widget, your ruby is beautifull and cut exactly like a Thai ruby should, which is really rare !!!!
The back of such ruby should be quite straight, unlike old burmese ones, but cutters always try to retain weight, and then it takes a recut to have a nice result.

Now similar material is coming from Madagascar and there is the same problem with cuts.

timmy!

Rough_Rock
Hey look what I found. The setting I like, with diamonds on the side. Try to picture it in yellow gold, with the 'tuplip' prongs in plat.

What do you guys think?

And to end the confusion, i'm not setting the stone with the window from the first page rather the second one that's deeper red, and a more square cushion

53DD13.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Timmy. Welcome back after the weekend. It looks like you found the Michael Bondanza design:

Link

It''s gorgeous! Are you thinking about splurging and just setting the stone in the "5-year setting" now? At $3200, this is a very permanent setting! Keep us posted.

timmy!

Rough_Rock
Yeah I think I just may go for it.

The rest of my Family is screwed for Christmas.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I don''t mean to be an enabler, but I just noticed the "0% Financing for 12 months" link on the bottom of the page. Did you see that? You may even be able to afford Christmas gifts for the family afterall!

I can certainly understand wanting to go for it now. That setting is to-die-for beautiful. Simple clean lines - really nice choice! And why spend even $200 on a setting if it''s not really what you want. Plus that initial "WOW" when she opens the box is something that will be ingrained in both of your memories forever. You may be paying for it forever too, but MINOR detail! Ha-ha!

Perhaps the setting would be slightly less expensive too because it''s mostly YG - worth asking.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I have attempted to photoshop the Bondanza ring so you could see what it might look like with your ruby in YG. I''m not an artist, as you can tell, but this might help. I''ll look forward to the actual photos!

BondanzaYGAttempt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results