shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a Ruby

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Timmy! Sweet new avatar!

Congrats on the ring - I''m glad you switched to facetfire''s setting. That was an excellent suggestion Sharon. The lines are cleaner than the first MBondanza you chose, although that one was nice too. This one is a real stunner!

We are all waiting with bated breath for more pictures! From the first photo, you can totally tell how gorgeous the ring turned out. You must be ecstatic!

timmy!

Rough_Rock
So I think this may be it on the picture front. I''m just not a good photographer. The flash fired on this one, but my finger was held over it, so it only partway got through. It looks pink here, but you can see from the loose ruby shot from before that its most certainly a very deep red.

bondanza1345.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh Lordy! What a dreamboat! Great job Timmy!

Just one last picture, a close up side profile would set me up for life!

cheers--Sharon

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your ruby is truly stunning. She is going to love it! I think the color is breathtaking...one of the best looking rubies I have seen on here, and that is really saying something. Congrats!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Nice! I really like the setting.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, my! It truly is sensational, Timmy. You did SO well!
36.gif

(I''m with canuk-gal: one profile shot (please! please!) and we''ll leave you alone! LOL

widget

timmy!

Rough_Rock
I''ll work some profile action tonight. I''m glad you''re noticing the color, and I''m glad I decided to blow the whole budget on the stone. It''s small........but it''s as close to perfect as you can get. It really was the finest ruby I got to look at, and I looked at a ton.

You guys can check out what one dealer had to say about it here.....

Dimensions: 6.28 x 5.95 x 3.54

Color: 4.9 (Vivid vermillion crimson stoplight candy red. AMAZING)

Brilliance: 4.5 (Lively in most lights and most angles)

Clarity: 4.4 (Eye clean and startlingly clean for a ruby. There is a
small natural on the girdle at around 2 oclock but otherwise this gem is crystalline. Natural are quite common for these types and are not considered to be liabilities.)

Cut: 4.6 (Superb! Desirable squarish cushion shape and nice proportions bring out this gems promise.)

Tone: 4.5 (Medium - to vivid rich; textbook definition of "pigeon
blood" as much as I dislike the sound of that often used gem jargon
term!)

Zoning: 4.9 (None)

Pedigree: 4.5

Rarity: 4.5 (This type is extremely rare and comes around very seldom in the market place. I would say that I see a gem this fine in this size once every 1-2 years if at all.)

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
That is just a stunning ring. It sounds like it''s a very good stone. You really did well.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is stunning and I think the setting is just perfect!

timmy!

Rough_Rock
I dont know what forum to ask this in......

how quickly can a ring be turned from small, 5.5ish, to not so small 7.

Simple gold solitare set ruby, with a very thin band. Approximately how long would I have to wait, and how much would it cost?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well done!

movie zombie

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2006 4:43:57 PM
Author: timmy!
I dont know what forum to ask this in......

how quickly can a ring be turned from small, 5.5ish, to not so small 7.

Simple gold solitare set ruby, with a very thin band. Approximately how long would I have to wait, and how much would it cost?

T - a jeweler should be able to do that for you pretty quickly (i.e., within a few days) because it's a simple setting, but being so close to the holidays might take the time out a little. As for cost, I don't imagine it would be much at all--probably less than $100.

(Forgive my nosyness--and feel free to ignore my question--but what's going on?)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
ABSOLUTELY IMPECCABLE!
30.gif

timmy!

Rough_Rock
(Forgive my nosyness--and feel free to ignore my question--but what''s going on?)

The ring I just paid for is a modern take on the ruby ring, my girls great grandfather gave to her great grandmother. You''ll notice the blu box it is in, doesnt look too new. I''m popping the question christmas eve, and I''ve decided to incorperate the old ring into the charade. That gives me 5 days to learn everythig I can, about old school rubies.....but thats the subject of another thread.

You guys have been awesome btw. Thanks to everyone who helped me pick out the setting, stone, and re-affirmed my decisions with glowing compliments. This has been a blast.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love your idea.
So you also have an old ruby too. Of course we''d all love to see that one as well :)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aren''t you clever, using the old ruby too! And I''m so glad you weren''t offended by my question--I panicked when I read your post that maybe something was wrong (!).

timmy!

Rough_Rock
check out the new thread for a picture. It''s a humble old ring. I love it. I''m hoping one of the gemologist pros will help me learn a bit more about it.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
oh man timmy! how did I miss your pics!! congrats on the ring it looks gorgeous!!!!
30.gif

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Let is be known I am not a fan of yellow gold typically...nor red.

I will honestly tell you that ring is fantastic, and I am going to suggest a similar setting to my wife for a stone we just purchased. It is simple and elegant. Nice job.

-G

timmy!

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all the comliments. I''m getting a big nothing on my other thread trying to find out what the ruby market was like in the 1910''s. If anyone is or knows of a gemstone historian of types I''d love the opportunity to talk with them.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Timmy. I wish I knew something about rubies from the early 1900''s. Maybe you could at least find out what the exact cut-type is and do a little research about it. Are there any markings inside the ring?

Maybe you could approach this more from the family history perspective. The ring has a lot of emotional significance and this is probably what is more important anyway!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I love the ruby and the setting, I am so glad you decided to keep it. Very pretty!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Timmy - are you still out there? Did I miss the proposal thread? Where are the hand pics?
3.gif

timmy!

Rough_Rock
I dont think my fiance is interested in hand pics, but I might have some cool appraiser pics soon. His lighting wasnt that great, but her got some great detailed close ups

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results