shape
carat
color
clarity

Choose a setting for my sapphire please!

Which setting would you choose?

• 1. Traditional three stone

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • 2. Unusual three stone

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • 3. Bezel no diamonds

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • 4. Bead set sides

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • 5. Cluster

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I have finally found my dream sapphire for our 10 year wedding anniversary ring - a 2 carat, approx 7.70 x 6.13 x 4.24mm light blue cushion Ceylon unheated sapphire. Yay! The first photo is a picture of it on my hand. Sorry for the size - I was trying to crop out the rest of my dry elephant skin hand...

Anyway, I am really struggling to choose a setting, which is going to be custom made by my excellent local jeweller. I have gathered a shortlist of very different styles I love equally and would be grateful for a "what would you do". Other relevant details: it will be in platinum, my ring size is 4.5, and I would like to wear it with the wedding band pictured which is 2mm platinum but don't mind at all if they don't sit flush. I want a ring that is sturdy and that I don't need to baby, but would be removing it for cooking, cleaning etc so doesn't have to be bombproof. Any design can be made with bezel or prongs so please just pick the overall design you like best, and specify if you'd have it with prongs or bezel.

Thanks in advance!

1. Traditional three stone

Three stone.jpg

2. An unusual design

3 stone idea.jpg

3. Low set bezel, no diamonds

Bezel.jpg

4. Prong with bead set sides

sapphire ring.jpg

5. Cluster

Cluster.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you icy_jade! Much appreciated.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find the cluster boring and your saphire is such a beautiful colour it deserves something else where it can shine without all those flashy chorus girls

I really liked the unusual bezel even though i usually like acompanying diamonds

I actually voted for the tradional 3 stone
I also liked the 4 prongs with diamond set bands

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
2. was the one that made me go ooooooh :D (Though if you go with a bezel, maybe wrap it up in foil to see how it performs in a bezel -- though your sapphire is light and intense enough that I think a bezel will actually work really well with it.)

I like 4. too! I guess I like ones that are a little different :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like number 2 and the sapphire isn't one that will be made overly dark by a bezel so it would look perfect in there....

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
congratulations on your anniversary!

you've got yourself the prettiest delicately blue sapphire.

i think first and foremost if you want the most comfortable and safe setting, the setting must be lower, as in as low as it can go. that keeps you from knocking your ring into things. sapphires do get abraded when set high where it protrudes off the finger.

bezels offer great protection and security but some do not care for the look as it obscures the perimeter of the stone.

personally, i like color stones with bright white diamonds for contrast. i like every example of setting you feature in your post. i probably like the solitaire bezel the least, only because i don't care for the metal detailing and i only like east west setting for stacking

hope you have lots of fun on your ring journey!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Oh thank you all so much for taking the time to look, vote and comment! I really appreciate it and it has been so helpful in crystallising my thoughts.

I love the look of the cluster / halo ring and if it was just on pure beauty I would go for this. But... I am thinking whether the size and all those prongs are going to be the most practical choice for everyday, and a bit much for my low key scruffy lifestyle. Plus I don't have long fingers and might struggle to fit a wedding ring on too. Hmm. Plus I don't want to overwhelm the sapphire - the analogy of "flashy chorus girls" made me laugh, it's very apt!

Yes, comfortable and safe are priorities for me. I am leaning towards a fine bezel, with open sides, and have already discussed with the jeweller about setting it as low as possible. I do like the sparkle and have 12 very high quality tiny diamonds to use as sidestones (stud earrings I inherited from my grandmother but in a heavy setting that I will never wear). So... I am thinking maybe something like this - a cross between 2 and 4?

Bezel diamonds.jpg

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh so pretty! I absolutely love 2!!! It is wow and it will not darken this sapphire!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Number 2 was suggested by the jeweller and is really growing on me, though I wasn't keen initially. I think it may be the one!

Unfortunately the jeweller has been taken ill and is due to have a big operation tomorrow. He is lovely and was offering to still do the CADs from hospital (!) I told him to just focus on himself and let me know when he's back to full health, however long it takes. It does mean I won't get it for my anniversary but it doesn't matter. Plus, more time to make a final decision.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the stone -- and the picture that I'm most drawn to is the first one with just the stone and the plain Pt band. I think the color and tone go so nicely with your skin tone. I vote very simple, no halo. I'm a sucker for E/W bezel-set in a plain tapering Pt mounting. It's a medium-light tone and well-cut so it will be bright and vivid even in a bezel, imo. I don't care for #3 (looks too mall-ish) and #4 seems too fussy for such a pretty stone. I guess if you needs accents, I'd vote for the three-stone but maybe trilliant sides...?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I love the stone -- and the picture that I'm most drawn to is the first one with just the stone and the plain Pt band. I think the color and tone go so nicely with your skin tone. I vote very simple, no halo. I'm a sucker for E/W bezel-set in a plain tapering Pt mounting. It's a medium-light tone and well-cut so it will be bright and vivid even in a bezel, imo. I don't care for #3 (looks too mall-ish) and #4 seems too fussy for such a pretty stone. I guess if you needs accents, I'd vote for the three-stone but maybe trilliant sides...?

Thanks very much LilAlex. I do love the sapphire and am leaning towards simplicity to let it shine.

I think the numberings may be messed up on some devices. Is this the one you like best:

1603878810666.png

I'm guessing the "mall-ish" one is no 4 with pave diamonds down the side, and the too-fussy one is the halo ie no 5, but want to be sure!

What do you think about no 2 ie this one? Could set it E-W too?

1603878915189.png

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the cluster. You could do a bezel around the centre instead of the prongs and that would be perfect.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I saw the stone, it screamed tapered french cut sides to me, so I voted for #4 as it is the closest to what I have in mind.

Personally, I would probably opt for the centre stone to be bezel set, and then channel set the french cut sides.

Personal preferences and all that.

Looking forward to see your finish ring.

DK :))

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, your stone is a beautiful color!
I have a saturated dark blue 1.80 oval Ceylon sapphire. I set in a platinum Sholdt half bezel design with 2 yellow sapphires flanking the center stone. Over 15 years ago, I needed a setting that was durable for every day wear. Although the setting is beautiful and still in style, to be honest it made the sapphire appear dark.
I agree with the PS'er who recommended wrapping the stone in foil to see how it affects the color and beauty of the stone.
I would recommend looking at David Klass, he has beautiful yet elegant bezel designs that set off the center stone.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, your stone is a beautiful color!
I have a saturated dark blue 1.80 oval Ceylon sapphire. I set in a platinum Sholdt half bezel design with 2 yellow sapphires flanking the center stone. Over 15 years ago, I needed a setting that was durable for every day wear. Although the setting is beautiful and still in style, to be honest it made the sapphire appear dark.
I agree with the PS'er who recommended wrapping the stone in foil to see how it affects the color and beauty of the stone.
I would recommend looking at David Klass, he has beautiful yet elegant bezel designs that set off the center stone.

Thank you Luckygreen! Do you have a photo of your setting? I would love to see it.

I would absolutely use David Klass if I was in the US (he does such beautiful work), but unfortunately I'm in the UK and would prefer to have it made locally, especially with the current situation. Luckily I have an excellent local jeweller who has made other pieces for me before and he is very good at both bezels and prongs. I'll have a look at some DK designs though to get inspiration.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks very much LilAlex. I do love the sapphire and am leaning towards simplicity to let it shine.

I think the numberings may be messed up on some devices. Is this the one you like best:

Take this with a grain of salt but I liked the first "disassembled" photo the best (I know there is not actual ring in it) -- loose stone and plain band. And it put me in the mind of making the simplest ring possible. I think for an iffy stone, all the halos and micro diamonds help. For a well-cut, pretty stone -- even if it's not trade ideal -- I say let the stone be the star. You don't need rows of diamonds to telegraph "this is an expensive ring."

Having said that, there are tons of amazing rings on this forum that run counter to my argument and look beautiful. And there are tons of people with more refined design sensibilities than mine.

Only to clarify, I was not crazy about that particular bezel-set because I think it detracts more than it adds. I may be totally wrong. And I did not love the bead-set ones with all the pave.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous light colored stone. This is going to be beautiful no matter what! It's personal preference...although I really like some halos/clusters, I would avoid in this case. I worry it will detract from the soft color of your stone and overwhelm and might be a big look for everyday if you aren't used to wearing a ring aside from your band

I actually love #2

But I will announce my bias - I plan to set my own sapphire in a very similar setting! In fact, I will use the setting I am sharing in my own inspo for my jeweler!

A slightly more "softened" version of that style is this ....I think it would look lovely with prongs or a bezel! The "wings" would blend into the band a bit more.

1603939414614.png

I also really like @dk168 's suggestion, as it also jumped out at me, something like this...

1603939723660.png

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Love the shape and cut of your stone!
And the color is soft and beautiful!
Congrats on your 10 year anniversary!!
I also love the idea of tapered French cut sides. Something about that style is so beautiful and balanced.

I prefer #2 and #4 of the ones you shared.
I think a sapphire really benefits from some diamond side stones. They can highlight the color of the stone beautifully.

I had a ring made a couple years ago with a similar sized blue sapphire (1.76 ct oval) and found myself in the same boat trying to decide on a setting.
Mine is most like #2, but the stone was set East west with bead set side stones, 18ct gold with a platinum overlay.
Here are a few photos to give a visual.
F862A670-1E3D-4F99-ACD8-F80A6F56F27A.jpeg 905A71E4-46A5-421F-8392-092F0743CB84.jpeg 341CC716-633A-4EC9-9227-49E8A3B5C822.jpeg
Good luck with whatever you choose!!
It will be beautiful no matter what!

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Luckygreen! Do you have a photo of your setting? I would love to see it.

I would absolutely use David Klass if I was in the US (he does such beautiful work), but unfortunately I'm in the UK and would prefer to have it made locally, especially with the current situation. Luckily I have an excellent local jeweller who has made other pieces for me before and he is very good at both bezels and prongs. I'll have a look at some DK designs though to get inspiration.

IMG_6526.jpg IMG_6527.jpg IMG_6528.jpg

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_6526.jpg IMG_6527.jpg IMG_6528.jpg

Here is my 17+ year old Sholdt design ring. This ring originally had an oval diamond and I repurposed this ring to a right hand ring after a divorce.
As you can see from the first to the 2nd photo, the sapphire is actually quite vibrant. However, the semi bezel and side stones do affect the color. Although I still love the design of this ring, I would have gone a different direction so the beautiful color of the stone wasn't affected.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Luckygreen that's a beautiful ring! Love that it's so unique in its sidestones and engraving. I do see what you mean about the sapphire darkening. I am back to leaning towards prongs I think...

LilAlex, thank you for clarifying, ah yes I do see exactly what you mean. You have put your finger on what I feel about this stone - I want it to be the star. Another thing that occurred to me is that in the UK, big halo/cluster engagement rings are unusual (unless you're in the royal family!) and so a big glitzy ring with lots of diamonds will look like a cocktail ring. Nothing wrong with that, but I want something more low key.

BlueMuse, what a gorgeous sapphire and setting! You are so very lucky to live near Caleb Meyer.

Cerulean, thank you very much for posting the softened "wings" photo - I like that version much better. Good luck with your ring, would love to see it when it's done - it sounds beautiful.

I am just waiting now for my jeweller to get back to full health (likely to be at least 6 weeks - poor guy has had a heart bypass) and then will meet up with him to discuss ideas. At least it gives me time to make up my mind...

I did come across this beauty as another option:

And the world's worst attempt at photoshop with my sapphire:

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 23.56.19 copy.png

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Luckygreen that's a beautiful ring! Love that it's so unique in its sidestones and engraving. I do see what you mean about the sapphire darkening. I am back to leaning towards prongs I think...

LilAlex, thank you for clarifying, ah yes I do see exactly what you mean. You have put your finger on what I feel about this stone - I want it to be the star. Another thing that occurred to me is that in the UK, big halo/cluster engagement rings are unusual (unless you're in the royal family!) and so a big glitzy ring with lots of diamonds will look like a cocktail ring. Nothing wrong with that, but I want something more low key.

BlueMuse, what a gorgeous sapphire and setting! You are so very lucky to live near Caleb Meyer.

Cerulean, thank you very much for posting the softened "wings" photo - I like that version much better. Good luck with your ring, would love to see it when it's done - it sounds beautiful.

I am just waiting now for my jeweller to get back to full health (likely to be at least 6 weeks - poor guy has had a heart bypass) and then will meet up with him to discuss ideas. At least it gives me time to make up my mind...

I did come across this beauty as another option:

And the world's worst attempt at photoshop with my sapphire:

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 23.56.19 copy.png

I personally think this is stunning and love this style of setting! It’s feminine, and he a little “something” without being over the top IMO

I have a few saved in my bookmarks for “setting styles to use one day”...

I am not sure if you’ve picked a jeweler, but David Klass has done very similar settings..

***EDIT: sorry I see now that you have a jeweler! I hope they recover soon!

Last edited:

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Sorry but I'm just not a fan of bezels. I think the 3 stone is classic and you'll get more mileage out of that style of ring and more sparkle out of the sapphire. That's such a beautiful blue and a great size.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I do like the sparkle and have 12 very high quality tiny diamonds to use as sidestones (stud earrings I inherited from my grandmother but in a heavy setting that I will never wear). So... I am thinking maybe something like this - a cross between 2 and 4?

Bezel diamonds.jpg

I love the idea of using your grandmother's diamonds, how wonderful and meaningful!! If you use a bezel I would suggest a very, very thin one so that you can barely see metal around the sapphire. It's such a gorgeous color.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Just to update that my jeweller is thankfully recovering well from his operation and starting to work from home again. I decided to go with no.2, the unusual bezel. This got the second highest votes (the halo got slightly more, but I've realised it just won't work with my lifestyle). So, thank you PS!

I will post CADs once he send them. Just to check though... Will a bezel that is completely enclosed in the sides (as shown on the picture in the OP) lack sparkle as opposed to an "open bezel" type arrangement? I am happy with the darkening effect, but don't want it to be dull. Should I be asking for something like either of the ones below, or will it not make much difference to sparkle?

Open bezel.jpg Cut out bezel.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results