shape
carat
color
clarity

Choose a setting for my sapphire please!

Which setting would you choose?

• 1. Traditional three stone

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • 2. Unusual three stone

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • 3. Bezel no diamonds

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • 4. Bead set sides

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • 5. Cluster

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lighter stone can actually be helped by a an "enclosed" bezel. Yours looks well cut with a lot of light return so top lighting should be adequate, imo. A darker stone that is overly deep or shallow would benefit from some light behind it. Family member in another state has a stone like yours or even lighter that is fully bezel-enclosed and it's very bright. You do have to clean behind it regularly, though.

Edit: not an expert

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I would take your stone, make a fake "bezel" with tin foil, and see what you like. I believe bezels can deepen or darken stones, but make them dull? Not by default!

I have had the Sholdt Lola (I believe that is the ring that was your first inspo pic) - two things to note about that style. Your wedding band will sit flush, and it was really nice to be able to clean it easily.

But there are A LOT of different ways to let a little light in...

If you do a fully encased bezel, you could also do cutouts if you want something a bit less traditional, and make sure it isn't tooootally closed from behind so you can clean it.

I would look at CVB and David Klass' instagrams to pick the styles you love!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you LilAlex and Cerulean, that's really helpful and great advice.

I don't have the stone in my possession any more so can't easily do the tinfoil trick (all non-essential shops including jewellers are closed here so can't pick it up either! But will probably be able to do so before ring production starts). I do intend to have the back fully open, I am a stickler for being able to clean jewellery easily and thoroughly. I will speak to the jeweller about the different options. Thanks again, you are all so kind and helpful :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you LilAlex and Cerulean, that's really helpful and great advice.

I don't have the stone in my possession any more so can't easily do the tinfoil trick (all non-essential shops including jewellers are closed here so can't pick it up either! But will probably be able to do so before ring production starts). I do intend to have the back fully open, I am a stickler for being able to clean jewellery easily and thoroughly. I will speak to the jeweller about the different options. Thanks again, you are all so kind and helpful :)

I am also a neurotic cleaner - really intricate baskets make that a challenge, and trap water in them and gunk easily.

You could also get a wax made first with your jeweler before making final decisions! Then he can plunk the stone in there and you can see how it will look, and it isn't as high stakes as getting it cast and then not liking it.

Good luck. So excited for you! I loooove a simple bezel!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea, he actually offered to make a wax first so I will take him up on that. I also love a simple bezel so much, I can't wait!

woweezowee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LOVE your choice of the open bezel. I was going to chime in that it was my favorite. I also loved the unusual design shown in CAD in your original post. Your sapphire is absolutely DIVINE and I am so excited to see how it looks when it's all done!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE your choice of the open bezel. I was going to chime in that it was my favorite. I also loved the unusual design shown in CAD in your original post. Your sapphire is absolutely DIVINE and I am so excited to see how it looks when it's all done!

Thank you woweezowee!! I am actually still going with the unusual design - I'm just thinking whether to have it adapted to be more open or to leave it closed down the sides as shown (the back will definitely be open though). Thank you for the lovely comment on the sapphire, I have been searching for it for so long and am so happy to have found it :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I too late to the party? If not this is my suggestion.

I wouldn’t bezel set because it can look heavy and your stone looks super summery and light and I’d want to play that up .... so pointy claws would be the way to go with a lovely open basket.

For the sides I would add French cut diamonds and maybe even to form a triangle effect ie 2 next to each other and then 1 on the end in the middle of the two diamonds. Does that make sense?

I have had a ring made with sides like this but not sure if I have a photo. If I find one I’ll post it.

EDIT: Found a photo. Imagine the metal in white gold around the side diamonds.

Attachments

• Ruby 6.5ct.jpg
    Ruby 6.5ct.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results