shape
carat
color
clarity

Chic Ering ?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely not recommend an old mine for someone who hasn't expressly shown a desire for one. That is a flavor that is definitely not for everyone.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely not recommend an old mine for someone who hasn't expressly shown a desire for one. That is a flavor that is definitely not for everyone.

I really agree with this. I think that is way too risky if it hasn't been explicitly requested by the recipient.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with this.

That said, I do think that he could get away with saying to her that HE wants to see how some things look on her hand before surprising her so he can choose best. Even if he gets a few cheapies off Amazon in different shapes and stays at home. Hints will be dropped. And it may include her realizing she may want a tiny bit more input before the final surprise. Or she may say, I really don't care-you choose. But at least then he'd know that.
This is a GREAT idea - get him to go somewhere with her and get her to try things on...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of these recommendations for non round stones make me super nervous without having the recipient explicitly ask for that. Definitely have him ask her to try stuff on with him (or order cheapie off Amazon as suggested above).

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
Maybe the personal input trumps everything. I’m sure she would appreciate the thought and care that comes from choosing a super ideal...and perhaps some special touch with the Tiffany style setting? If the giver can articulate..”I chose this for you because...”?
- it’s the best of the best cut
- I wanted the prongs just so because...
That’s the personal touch!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe the personal input trumps everything. I’m sure she would appreciate the thought and care that comes from choosing a super ideal...and perhaps some special touch with the Tiffany style setting? If the giver can articulate..”I chose this for you because...”?
- it’s the best of the best cut
- I wanted the prongs just so because...
That’s the personal touch!

I think we're coloring this with our opinions of what is "the best."

For me, I'd find the delivery of a bog-standard, 6 prong, platinum knife edge solitaire to be impersonal. Yeah, cool, it's an ideal cut, but it's also very basic.

If the brand name is significant, then recreating it elsewhere might not meet the need.

If the selection of the perfect, unique stone is significant, then it might not meet the need.

Just too hard to say with the information given, but I do feel like the forum default is "super ideal round, plain solitaire setting." That might not suit everyone, though it's unlikely to offend.

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
I agree with you and would like to add that the sentiment is most important. What does the giver think is best, valued, etc? If thought went into the process instead of buying just what’s easy, that is truly the gift. That could mean a super ideal, but only if the giver spends some time thinking about his choices. I remember @sledge and his journey. That was so special because of the thought about tiny details.

I think we're coloring this with our opinions of what is "the best."

For me, I'd find the delivery of a bog-standard, 6 prong, platinum knife edge solitaire to be impersonal. Yeah, cool, it's an ideal cut, but it's also very basic.

If the brand name is significant, then recreating it elsewhere might not meet the need.

If the selection of the perfect, unique stone is significant, then it might not meet the need.

Just too hard to say with the information given, but I do feel like the forum default is "super ideal round, plain solitaire setting." That might not suit everyone, though it's unlikely to offend.

L

lydial

Thank you ladies for all of your thoughts, Unfortunately no “clues” are you thinking blue box? The only preloved options I have found close to her size are in “I” color for ECs :

This one has side stones (classic) but may pose issues w Pairing a wedding band and o think we have all concluded a solitaire is best.

The Novo has melee on the band

Looking at the classic round Tiffany does not guarantee a good stone either.

Someone needs to snatch up that 3 stone. It needs its own thread!!!!!!!!

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
Considering she wears designer everyday, I think he should get the blue box. She’s obviously a Tiffany girl!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Unless she specifically asked for a designer branded diamond, I would not get one as they are often 2x the price. Diamonds are a commodity and you can get a much larger, higher quality non-branded stone.

Unless she specifically asked for a designer branded diamond, I would not get one as they are often 2x the price. Diamonds are a commodity and you can get a much larger, higher quality non-branded stone.

Absolutely. I think he needs to ask her a few clarifying questions about whether she wants a brand or not, a little bit of probing into style and shape etc. at this point. I can see two equally strong and compelling arguments for and against getting her a brand.

The word “chic” is such a personal word. We’ve seen a million different flavors of chic on this thread alone. If he asks her these questions and she still reiterates “I don’t care get me anything that you like” then he should just get what he finds chic imo. Maybe she just wants to see what he thinks of her, how well he knows her etc. I wouldn’t leave that kind of decision to my partner lol but then again, I’m on a diamond forum so clearly I care a lot about diamonds don’t I? :D

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, I am a SUPER brand snob and love all my designer things, but my ering/diamond I was adamantly opposed to a designer ring.

Also, I like to think I have fairly basic/classic taste, however, I agonized for 6 months over the prongs to choose for my ring. I am VERY particular, BECAUSE i am so simple! So whatever DO I wear needs to be very thoughtfully chosen and thought out by me. I do not want to wear what you think i should have. Since I actually wanted a surprise, I chose my ring and sent him all the info so he could have it made and propose when he wanted. The other option is to propose with a stand in and allow her to choose. I am the total opposite of a feminist, I am extremely 'traditional', so i wanted the surprise, however I am picky about jewelry, it's so personal.

If someone asked me to pick "simple chic" i would choose an asscher or emerald.

I agree, I am a SUPER brand snob and love all my designer things, but my ering/diamond I was adamantly opposed to a designer ring.

Also, I like to think I have fairly basic/classic taste, however, I agonized for 6 months over the prongs to choose for my ring. I am VERY particular, BECAUSE i am so simple! So whatever DO I wear needs to be very thoughtfully chosen and thought out by me. I do not want to wear what you think i should have. Since I actually wanted a surprise, I chose my ring and sent him all the info so he could have it made and propose when he wanted. The other option is to propose with a stand in and allow her to choose. I am the total opposite of a feminist, I am extremely 'traditional', so i wanted the surprise, however I am picky about jewelry, it's so personal.

If someone asked me to pick "simple chic" i would choose an asscher or emerald.

You know what’s really funny is that this thread actually prompted me to ask one of my friends who is extremely into brands (she literally only wears branded jewelry, carries nice handbags and wears branded shoes, all her clothes are super classy like blouses and skirts) if she would’ve wanted a branded ering instead of her current ring (she wears a round solitaire paired with an eternity band for a wedding ring) and she told me that she actually told her boyfriend that she specifically wanted something unbranded because she had so many branded pieces.

So I think it’s a good idea to clarify at the very least:
- does she want a brand or not
- is she open to preloved or not
- does she want an eternity ring or a more classic ering
- is there any shape or style that she absolutely hates

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Another thing to consider is her opinion on pre-loved. I would not want a pre-loved ER as I want it to be new and made for me, unless it was a sentimental family heirloom.

To me there's also a potential stigma or fear associated with a pre-loved ER from a potentially failed engagement or marriage. I know it's impossible to tell even with a new ring as diamonds can be resold and there's no new vs. pre-loved distinction, but chances are it's new (I even checked the GIA report date to make sure it was recent - I know it also could have been more recently graded).

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, see, I am the opposite. I don't wear my ring often, but my ring has huge sentimental value - it's actually the exact same ring I tried on in the Tiffany store on Fifth Ave the very first time my now-husband and I looked at rings. He found the ring preloved many years later (turns out he saved the card with the item#) and purchased it on the spot. It is an "upgrade" in sentiment, not in any other regard, but very special to me because of it.

So really, this is so individual.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Another thing to consider is her opinion on pre-loved. I would not want a pre-loved ER as I want it to be new and made for me, unless it was a sentimental family heirloom.

To me there's also a potential stigma or fear associated with a pre-loved ER from a potentially failed engagement or marriage. I know it's impossible to tell even with a new ring as diamonds can be resold and there's no new vs. pre-loved distinction, but chances are it's new (I even checked the GIA report date to make sure it was recent - I know it also could have been more recently graded).

Devi's advocate. You have no idea if the stone you buy from Whiteflash, CBI, etc. was traded in or the history. It could have been a buy back or traded due to happy or failed marriage/engagement. I don't think anyone can assume that a diamond is newly cut and they are the first wearer, unless it's a stone that is in production, like CBI or Whiteflash does for their branded lines. There are probably others, but those come to mind.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Devi's advocate. You have no idea if the stone you buy from Whiteflash, CBI, etc. was traded in or the history. It could have been a buy back or traded due to happy or failed marriage/engagement. I don't think anyone can assume that a diamond is newly cut and they are the first wearer, unless it's a stone that is in production, like CBI or Whiteflash does for their branded lines. There are probably others, but those come to mind.

100% agree. The only way to get a new diamond is to have one custom cut from rough.

But, there is a chance it is new when purchased new vs. 100% chance it is pre-loved when purchased pre-loved.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your replies, so based on all the responses it looks like we are looking for a 1.5 EC or two stacked eternity bands (would need a spacer in between and not sure on what carat weight each would need to be) or just a larger band with a plain band (although this is uncertain since she may associate the diamond band as the wedding band) I lean towards the EC for this reason.

Did your brother select a ring yet? If so,, what did he choose?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results