shape
carat
color
clarity

Channel set band options

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking for a channel set diamond band option for a baby ring to commemorate the birth of my second son.

I would like the band to look good stacked with my ring for my first son: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dreamers-baby-ring.118045/, which is a .55ctw half eternity, 5 point stones, 2.3mm wide.

I would also like a band that I can wear with my e-ring, which is presently a 1.67ct solitaire but will be reset in the future to a three stone with .35ct rb side stones. MissGotRocks' recent thread convinced me that a channel set is the way to go for pairing with a three stone: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-tiffany-anniversary.161038/

I have a couple options and the prices are fairly close. My preference is to spend less ;)) but I also want the ring to look good and also as "substantial" as my ring for my first son.

Here are the options:

Option 1: $850. 2mm wide, 3/4 eternity, .30 cttw, ~0.8 points per diamond. WF Honey band http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/honey-channel-set-diamond-wedding-band-688.htm PRO stock item so I can return it. CON is it too thin and insubstantial?

The other options are custom and would be either non-refundable or involve a stocking fee -- BIg CON. Options 2 + 3 are around $1000, option 4 would likely be more and maybe out of budget, unless I think it is the best best options.

Option 2: 2.3mm wide, .36cttw, ~1 points per diamond.

Option 3: 2.5mm wide, .40cttw, ~1.4 points per diamond.

Option 4: 2.5mm wide, .48cttw, ~2 points per diamond.

Any thoughts??

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK having received a little more information from the vendor, the choice is between Option 1 and Option 3. The question is, is the extra .5mm and .10cttw worth an extra $400??

Option 1: $850. 2mm wide, 3/4 eternity, .30 cttw, ~0.8 points per diamond. WF Honey band http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/honey-channel-set-diamond-wedding-band-688.htm

Option 3: $1250. 2.5mm wide, 3/4 eternity, .40cttw, ~1.5 points per diamond.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I would spend the extra $400. My thinking is that, if you don't, then you'll always look at it and wonder if it were bigger...you'd be thinking about and perhaps wanting something else. If $400 isn't a huge budget buster then, I would definitely do it. Especially since it is a birthing gift...you don't want to have the "oh, I wish I had gone with the other option" thoughts about a gift that meaningful!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
centralsquare|1311807801|2978353 said:
I would spend the extra $400. My thinking is that, if you don't, then you'll always look at it and wonder if it were bigger...you'd be thinking about and perhaps wanting something else. If $400 isn't a huge budget buster then, I would definitely do it. Especially since it is a birthing gift...you don't want to have the "oh, I wish I had gone with the other option" thoughts about a gift that meaningful!

ditto.

Is there anyway you can get the same band that you got to commemorate the birth of your first son and stack the two or is that way out of budget?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could give you a definitive answer here! It is so hard for me to judge by numbers alone what looks good and what doesn't. I think I would lean toward the 2.5 mm band but the no return part can really hang you up! It would probably be beautiful though - the important thing is for you to be happy. I would definitely spend the extra $400 for the larger stones although I know that puts you in that no return zone! Do they have any samples or anything to send out - I think Pearlman's sent out some sample rings for preview. I am just awful when it comes to not being able to put it on my hand for visual reference - sorry!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I would just order option #1 and see how it looks to you in person. You can always return it since it is a stock item ya know? Maybe it will be just perfect and you won't need to spend the additional $$!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Can you go to some local stores to get a feel for what width would work best for you before ordering one?

Would you consider purchasing the band elsewhere or are you for sure going with WF? I purchased my wedding band from Facets and am so pleased with it - its low profile with a minimal amount of visible metal and the diamonds are great quality. I was able to order it in a 3/4 eternity in white gold and at the time they charged me 3/4 of the price of the full eternity (however, being that it was custom it was not returnable). They also sent me stock rings of the 2.3mm and the 2.5mm to see which width I liked better before I ordered (I did have to put a refundable deposit down in order for them to do this).

http://thefacetscollection.com/Channel-set_Round_Diamonds_Page1.htm

If you are purchasing from WF for certain, I like lizzyann's suggestion!

I went with the 2.3mm band:

iphone 2 133.JPG

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Is there any way you can try on something of similar size to either, or better, both, locally? I have discovered that eternity bands, when they don't work, they *really* don't work... on me anyway. And the larger size ones are the riskier ones. Still, 2.5mm isn't that hefty, so it is likely to be lovely IMO.

ETA: I think the channel set eternity sounds like a nice, substantial choice to mark such an important event :bigsmile: Whatever you go with, it'll be lovely.

Oh and something else occured to me: if you're thinking you might wear it solo sometimes, the larger size might be more likely to stand alone well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am considering facets as well. startgurl, and got a very reasonable quote for the band you have in white gold, 3/4 eternity with G/H melee. From facets it would be .36cttw, 1.1 point stones, customized to be slightly higher off the finger, and only $968. That is a good inbetween option price wise. I suspect it is indistinguishable from the .40cttw one I mention above. But still non-refundable.

Do you have any more photos of your ring anywhere? It is beautiful!

RE: trying them on. A few years ago I tried on almost identical bands are Tiffany to the ones I am considering: a 2mm band and a 2.5. At the time I preferred the 2.5mm band and thought the 2mm was too delicate. And my solitaire was smaller at the time. My eventual three-stone will likely have a 3mm shank.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 2 mm band might very well be too delicate - particularly if your end ring ends up being a three stone. Because the width of the three stones take up so much finger space, there isn't a good chunk of finger that allows the wedding band to be seen - if that makes sense. That was sort of the problem I had with the Bezet - it was pretty and when positioned just so it looked good but in real life everyday it just hid under my ering until I could barely see it. Other people said they could see it and thought it looked good but I figured if I was paying for it then I should be the one most pleased! I never lost that urge for a diamond band though so this current one just fit the bill.

I would have seconded the option to order the in stock piece knowing you could send it back but if you've thought in the past that 2 mm was too thin, it might just be an exercise in futility. The Facets band does seem like a good option. I thought those companies would take some of those pieces back if you were trading up in size - maybe the economy has put the skids on that.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
I am considering facets as well. startgurl, and got a very reasonable quote for the band you have in white gold, 3/4 eternity with G/H melee. From facets it would be .36cttw, 1.1 point stones, customized to be slightly higher off the finger, and only $968. That is a good inbetween option price wise. I suspect it is indistinguishable from the .40cttw one I mention above. But still non-refundable.

Do you have any more photos of your ring anywhere? It is beautiful!

RE: trying them on. A few years ago I tried on almost identical bands are Tiffany to the ones I am considering: a 2mm band and a 2.5. At the time I preferred the 2.5mm band and thought the 2mm was too delicate. And my solitaire was smaller at the time. My eventual three-stone will likely have a 3mm shank.

I have to admit I am a bad PSer and I haven't yet made a thread for this :oops: I will try to post one tonight because I do have a bunch of pics of it that I just need to upload.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results