shape
carat
color
clarity

Chain/pendant ratio for CBI/DK project?

Discussion in 'Show Me the Bling! (Rings,Earrings,Jewelry)' started by SandyinAnaheim, Apr 10, 2019.

1. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » Apr 14, 2019 at 11:42 PM
    Wow, this is an exciting project! I missed your other threads as I have been busy and have had little time on the forum since the holidays.

I only have some large long fashion jewelry chains, and I do have one that is about 6mm in a rolo style. I think 6mm would be okay if you were just using the 1 large pendant, but I think it is too wide for your small pendants. I really think 5mm would work much better. I like the 6mm on my chain which is about 36" and has a large pendant hanging from it. I rarely wear any jewelry that is not real, but I do like a few long heavier pieces. But even with just your large pendant, it is not heavy and more of a filigree type design, so I really don't think I'd go with 6mm for that piece alone, either.

SandyinAnaheim likes this.
  2. SandyinAnaheim
    Brilliant_Rock

by SandyinAnaheim » Apr 15, 2019 at 2:14 AM
    Thank you Dachsie! I really love the look of the chain too. I like it for its heft and presence as well.

I have several silver chains that are 8 mm and even thicker, a Judith Ripka and a DeGruchy Bali weave that's probably closer to 10 mm. I love those pieces and really enjoy wearing substantial chains that look great with a pendant, and can even stand on their own. I understand that the norm for station necklaces are more delicate chains, but I am a bit hard on chains and have broken many a slender necklace accidentally.

My original thread on RT turned out to be a dud, but you can see the evolution of the project here, in case you are interested: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ce-project-could-use-some-design-help.245952/

Amy from DK told me I should be looking at 5mm or wider for the chain. I don't want to overwhelm the pendants so I was really trying to stick to 5mm. In the thread referenced above it was recommended that I try to obtain a Victorian chain, and I did. Several of them, and had to return them because I either didn't like the color of the gold, the workmanship, previous damages, or they were simply to busy in their own right.

I've visited Gold Link in Amy's building twice and looked through their catalogues and found some options to pre-order. It turns out they don't stock chains in wide diameters, they carry chains up to about 3 mm. So until I visit on Thursday with the pendants in hand, and the chain I've shown for comparison (arriving Monday), I can't know what will actually work.

Here are some images of the chains I was interested in from the catalogue. Bear in mind that these chains are sold in 8" lengths and greater, so the weight listed is for 8". If anyone thinks one of these chains would work better, please chime in and let me know! I've very true to form, so I know they all look similar, to a degree..... :rolleyes: I admit that I'm somewhat partial to the rectangular Rolo links, those really appeal to me with their somewhat geometric shapes, but I think they might be a little too modern for the look of the pendants.

20190213_151052.jpg
    20190313_123559.jpg
    20190313_123918.jpg
    20190313_123927.jpg
    20190313_124317.jpg
    20190313_124513.jpg

3. SandyinAnaheim
    Brilliant_Rock

by SandyinAnaheim » Apr 15, 2019 at 2:17 AM
    Thank you @icy_jade, do you happen to have any images of what this idea might look like? I don't think I've seen something like that before.

4. icy_jade
    Ideal_Rock

by icy_jade » Apr 15, 2019 at 2:28 AM
    44C1B4B2-F503-40A2-A8C6-AEFCEDDB0A86.jpeg 79EC0380-C339-4279-B380-494E592AAE9E.jpeg 6C647A02-AAD4-43F2-8E10-9F9F676C320B.jpeg
    Quick search and found above. Hope it makes sense. Quite simple to put a jump ring.

Japanese vendors also sells those can be length adjusted:

F564EE9E-CF3B-48BA-B33E-F559CB0F2F82.jpeg
    You just pull the desired length through the ball part to adjust the chain length.

5. SandyinAnaheim
    Brilliant_Rock

by SandyinAnaheim » Apr 15, 2019 at 2:28 AM
    Thank you @diamondseeker2006. Personally, I don't own any really long chains. I think the longest one I have is 23", with the exception of pearls. I have various strands of 48" or so, and I wear those doubled or tripled up, for a Chanel style look.

My intent was to stick to 5mm, but I just haven't found much that I like within my price point, and I've been hunting daily since December. I have found some beautiful chains, but I am unwilling to pay $3k for a used chain, antique or not. As I've said, it's hard to visualize without the pendants in hand to see how they look with various links and diameters, or how they will end up being suspended. Currently, the pendants have no bales or method of suspension. Amy agreed that it was best to wait until a chain had been chosen to decide on how to suspend them.

diamondseeker2006 likes this.
  6. SandyinAnaheim
    Brilliant_Rock

by SandyinAnaheim » Apr 15, 2019 at 2:31 AM
    @icy_jade, yes the jump ring could work. I like the idea of the ball, but I'm not sure that could work on a chain of this thickness. I'll ask when I visit Amy. Thank you for the ideas!

7. dreamer_dachsie
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by dreamer_dachsie » Apr 15, 2019 at 2:46 AM
    Please take lots of photos when you have the chain and charms in hand!

8. EC8
    Shiny_Rock

by EC8 » Apr 15, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    Not sure jump ring will work if the pendants will be attached at certain intervals on the chain I.e. if they are fixed based on 18” length, then they will shift off center if you wear the chain at 20”.
    What about getting the chain you think will work best initially in silver or gold filled, plate it in 18k and wear for a while with the pendants to confirm your choice?

9. SandyinAnaheim
    Brilliant_Rock

by SandyinAnaheim » Apr 15, 2019 at 11:32 AM
    @EC8 I think you're right, the jump ring wouldn't work, but an extender would. Thanks for pointing that out!

diamondseeker2006 likes this.
  10. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » Apr 16, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    Yes, I think an extender is a great idea! I intend to have one made for my long DBTY necklace to be able to add 2".

SandyinAnaheim and missy like this.
  11. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Apr 16, 2019 at 10:51 AM

I have a 3” extender for my DBTY depending on the neckline I am wearing. I find it very useful and I wear the extender in the back so you don't see it. It's at the beach house or I would snap a pic for you. I don't remember where I got it but I want to say Etsy. It's white gold like my DBTY and is a similar chain. I love it.

The extender can increase the versatility of many necklaces though I only wear it with my DBTY at the beach.

12. suzanne2
    Brilliant_Rock

by suzanne2 » Apr 16, 2019 at 6:27 PM
    I've followed along from afar and I'm eagerly waiting for your trip to DKJ on Thursday. You haven't said if you have decided to put the charms and pendant in the chain as stations or add them as dangles. When I picture the necklace I see the charms as stations and the pendant on some kind of bale. I think a big part of your chain decision will be apparent when you decide one way or another.
    Of all the chains pictured, I liked the top one on the fancy page. You had said that you liked the shimmer from previous chains and that one matched, although it may be too expensive or not big enough.
    Whatever you decide, it will be stunning! Eagerly awaiting updates!

13. SandyinAnaheim
    Brilliant_Rock

by SandyinAnaheim » Apr 16, 2019 at 11:33 PM
    @suzanne2 Thank you for your input. At this point in time, I am thinking that the central pendant will likely be attached to the chain invisibly on the east/west sides, and the smaller pendants perhaps as danglies. And you're right, the whole thing really depends on the chain, and the aesthetic as a whole. Working out these ideas piecemeal is really difficult, especially since I am not practiced at this stuff and have zero creativity. I really don't see the main pendant on a bale for this project, but you never know! It's going to evolve a great deal on Thursday when I can put the pieces together!! I really wish I had one of you to come with me for opinions!!

I received the chain pictured in the first post today. It is lovely. It weighs 21.6 grams at its current length of 15.5", but I have to say, it feels VERY lightweight. When I got it, I didn't believe that it weighed what I was told, but I verified on two different scales. It feels hollow somehow, I think its width is deceiving me as I expect what I see to weigh more in my hand. It's really odd...

Thank you, and everyone else for opining on the project. Your help really is invaluable. :love:

14. SandyinAnaheim
    Brilliant_Rock

by SandyinAnaheim » Apr 16, 2019 at 11:48 PM
    @missy Between the necklace and the bracelet I have available to me, I can have an extender that will give me a total length of 22.75", plus the width of the pendant if it is suspended on both sides from the chain. If that chain works, of course. So the necklace would likely be 18-20", plus the rest as an extender. It will be the same links as the chain whether it turns out to be this one, or any other. I can buy any of the chains at Gold Link in any length I desire, and have DK make the extender for me in the same link. You have convinced me it is the way to go. :geek2:

missy likes this.
  15. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Apr 17, 2019 at 5:45 AM
    Sandy, IMO, you cannot go wrong with getting the extender as it will add versatility to both your bracelet and necklace.I hope you enjoy your beautiful new bling and the different ways you can wear it. :appl:

16. SandyinAnaheim
    Brilliant_Rock

by SandyinAnaheim » Apr 18, 2019 at 9:30 PM
    MIND OFFICIALLY BLOWN!!!
    I saw Amy today. I can't believe how the pendants came out, and how the CBIs look in them. To say that I was shocked is an understatement. Amy/David Klass did a superb job on bringing my crappy drawings to reality. I did the best I could with the photos, but they don't do justice to the pieces.

Pendants 2.jpg

Pendants 1.jpg

Amy was astounded at my stones and asked me about them again. She told me that they reflect light brilliantly and that they were outstanding in every way, even the little 40 pointers. She wanted David to see them when he came in later, as he is the "Diamond Guy" and she is the "Designer" of DKJ. After we picked out a chain, David took a look at them and he said that these stones are perfectly cut. He said he doesn't see stones like this very often and he was very impressed by them. He showed me his father's license from 1948, who was registered as a cutter in South Africa.

David has been in diamonds his whole life, so his approval, grading and confirmation of what I already knew made me very happy. Especially since I now own 8 of them!! :dance: He guessed that my stones were a G, and was very surprised when I told him they were Js for the most part. He said the cut made them appear so much brighter and whiter, and that he has tons of clients that come in asking for D IF and are not interested in cut, and even though he tries to explain it to them, he can't always get through to them that cut is the most important factor for brilliance and scintillation. I think @Wink and @John Pollard will be very happy to hear how impressed David and Amy both were.

I brought in the two chains I had, the one I recently picked up (6.5 mm Rolo), and the very first one I bought and almost returned, but it was SUCH a good deal, and SO beautiful, I had to keep it. :P2 Here they are with the pendants.

Pendants 3.jpg

Pendants 4.jpg

Sadly, and as predicted here, the Rolo didn't work. It's too distracting and too thick (not too wide) for the pendants. When you put them together, you really can see that the chain competes with the pendants and there is no flow. And my other chain really doesn't work at all, but I was already wearing it so I thought I'd just throw it in for fun and comparison.

Amy and I went upstairs to Gold Link and we looked at a lot of chains. I found one that pulled the whole project together. The funny thing is, the chain is not something I would normally be attracted to, but everything I liked just looked VERY overdone with the pendants. I realized I needed something simple and elegant that could stand on its own, but not overpower the magnificence of the pendants. We looked at variations of this chain from 2 - 6 mm. Amy liked the 6 mm for both balance and weight, and I agreed. This is a hand-made chain by Gold Link itself and will take a couple of weeks to complete. The chain in the picture is in 14k, but I ordered it in 18k and it will weigh 49g, making the necklace just shy of 90g. (Yes, I like it heavy.)

After seeing all of the pieces together, I have to agree with those of you who suggested the pendant be on a bale. I also agree with those of you who suggested a longer chain. I ordered it in 24" so it has a built in extender. You guys were right, I think that's going to look a lot better and give me the versatility I want. Here are some pictures with just two of the small pendants. What do you all think? I hope I did well!! :mrgreen2:

New Chain 1.jpg

New Chain 2.jpg

New Chain 3.jpg

New Chain 4.jpg

The only thing left to consider is what to do on the backside. I failed to take a picture of the back of the pendants, but it's just plain. Any suggested we could do some engraving on the back. At first I didn't think it necessary, but the more I think about it, the more I think I don't want the backs to be so plain. What do you think?

prs, missy and TheBlingleys like this.
  17. dreamer_dachsie
    Super_Ideal_Rock

18. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Apr 19, 2019 at 9:09 AM

Simply stunning @SandyinAnaheim :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: Love everything about this. As for the back I don't know. Do what you feel would make you happiest. Engraving of some sort? Did you ask David or Amy their thoughts? Anyway just love this and so thrilled for you how it is all coming together perfectly. Gorgeous!