shape
carat
color
clarity

Certified vs uncertified stones

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
Hi there

We're getting closer to finalising our plans for a five stone ring and really appreciate the super feedback we've received to our many questions from other posters.

Latest question:

When do you feel comfortable using uncertified stones?

We have been offered the following, for a 5 diamond, size 5 ring, YG, platinum claws. We're in Australia, but USD prices below.

Jeweller 1 - US based:

5 uncertified PS quality round 0.30 F/G SI1's will be $3,000. Add 10% sales tax + delivery fee of $195 = $3495

Or

Set w/ G SI1 GIA certified triple X cut range will be approx. $3600. add 10% sales tax + delivery fee of $195 = $4155

Advantage: highly regarded on PricesScope.
Disadvantage: overseas purchase, tricky for warranty claims etc.
-------

Jeweller 2 - Local, well regarded wholesaler, with excellent bench:

0.3 carat 5 non certified excellent cut g colour vsi 3456 total price

Or

4752 Triple excellent G VSI GIA certified diamonds from Hong Kong.

Advantage: easy to repair and be involved in design in person.
-----

The uncertified price of both the local and US vendor is almost the same, for a claimed similar quality. In this size diamond, what would you go for, certified or uncertified?

And finally on a Size 5 finger, would you think 0.4cts each diamond is too big? For the money we save going uncertified, I could also go up in size. This is a RHR and I'm unlikely to ever upgrade it/ sell it. It will be handed down to my daughter.

This setting:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-id-jewelry-5-stone-ring-hubba-hubba.138853/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-id-jewelry-5-stone-ring-hubba-hubba.138853/[/URL]

Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
From IDJ I'd be OK with uncertified and I'd go up to 40 points.

fair75

Rough_Rock
To decide between certified and uncertified stones, you need to first understand the pros and cons of doing so. Of course, uncertified stones are cheaper and a bit budget friendly. IDJ is a reputable vendor and I believe their uncertified stones will be nice. However, I doubt that the diamonds will be better than the GIA triple ex ones. GIA triple ex diamonds with ideal proportions (the ones that would also qualify for AGS triple zero) will give you the best balance of brilliance, fire and sparkles. Also I can see that there is approximately $700 difference between the uncertified and certified (0.3 ct) options, which isn't really a lot. You mentioned that this ring will be passed down to your daughter, which makes it worth getting the GIA triple ex stones in my honest opinion. Ideal-cut G diamonds will look like F, or even E diamonds when you view from the top, giving you the appearance of colorless diamonds. I have compared my GIA triple ex G and D diamonds side by side and I have trouble telling which one is which.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your inspiration is Bliss' original 5 stone, I thought it was interesting to find out that when she later converted the 5 stone to an eternity, IDJ mixed uncerted in with her certed stones and she couldn't tell the difference:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-bliss.173680/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-bliss.173680/[/URL]
Bliss|1333329280|3161452 said:
I think the diamonds are SUPER sparkly. I have a mondo eternity band with GIA certified F VS quality stones and Yekutiel mixed in uncerted stones - his version of ACAs and I cannot tell the difference. They are all super sparkly and fiery. Gorgeous....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IDJ's "PS quality" stones are going to be SI clarity. That is why their prices are usually lower. The others have VS1 for clarity which is why they cost more. I would personally want VS1-2 clarity just because I like balance in high quality stones, cut, color, and clarity.

What I will say is that GIA grading for 5 little stones does not cost $1300 more, so anytime you are getting uncertified and the price is a lot better, it means they can be flexible with the color and clarity. So the stones might be H or SI even though you think you are paying for G VS.

I think I could go through a vendor such as Whiteflash for .30s and not be concerned about grading reports because they mostly stock superideal and ideal cuts, but anywhere else, I want those reports and I would expect the triple excellent stones to be within preferred measurements.

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much. I appreciate your feedback.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results