shape
carat
color
clarity

Cellentani''s honeymoon with ER is over - now at Quest

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
So after having my new ring for only 3 weeks, I'd begun to notice the top part/halo going grey. I didn't think it was the rhodium wearing off (which shouldn't really wear off on the top anyway) since the metal didn't look yellow. It just looked steely, grey, and dingy; kind of like someone melted down a dinner fork to cast my ring. My usual jeweler is very nice and always tries to accommodate me and make me happy, but his craftsmanship is not always up to my exacting, PS standards. I know that he will not remove the old layer of rhodium before replating, and I've always thought his polishing was a bit hasty - he's nice, but there are limits to what he can do well.

I called Quest Jewelers today which, happily, is only a 20min drive away. After a thorough examination, we agreed that the ring will undergo an extensive cleaning, the excess solder (used to attach the prongs, and it pooled onto the top surface) will be removed, new prongs will be attached (and all the same size, not 2 larger and 2 smaller like now), and the entire ring will be prepared for a new rhodium plating. They will also do what they can to improve the sloppy milgrain. I know a lot of PSers have talked about Pete, but I spoke with Hap and was very impressed. I'm very excited about the refurbishing, and it shouldn't take more than a week.

I know this thread is worthless and boring without pics, so let me post a few.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here's my ring looking grey and dingy.
14.gif
It kind of looks like it's already been worn for a generation, and got passed down to me.

Cellis Grey Ring.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And while looking at my pics, I noticed one of the prongs has a couple of pits at the base - can you see them??!!

Cellis Pitted Prong.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Good milgrain,

good milgrain.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
and bad, sloppy, poorly done milgrain. How can anyone do milgrain like this and think it's acceptable??!! Remember that this ring was made new for me, and is only 3 weeks old; so it's not rubbed away from wear.

bad milgrain.JPG

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear this. I do think Bev K''s milgrain is so perfect. Did you notice the difference after you got it (your RHR) or were you always unhappy with it?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 9:37:04 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Sorry to hear this. I do think Bev K''s milgrain is so perfect. Did you notice the difference after you got it (your RHR) or were you always unhappy with it?
Hi Tacori - I was never happy with the milgraining, but I had decided to live with it, knowing that there wasn''t much my jeweler could do to fix it. After noticing the greying and deciding to take it to Quest, I decided to mention it, just in case they could work some magic. I noticed the dullness of my ER before I got the BevK ring, but I did bug me more after comparing the two! At least I have a gorgeous sparkly to wear while the other is getting a makeover.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sure it''ll come back looking wonderful. Good miligrain is very important!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still really love the design of your ER, but I agree there are some problems seeing the magnified pics.
7.gif
I honestly wish BK made a design more like your ER! Can''t wait to see the revamp.
2.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I see your point. I thought it was an antique ring. I still love the style though, it''s so pretty
1.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 9:55:12 AM
Author: lyra
I still really love the design of your ER, but I agree there are some problems seeing the magnified pics.
7.gif
I honestly wish BK made a design more like your ER! Can''t wait to see the revamp.
2.gif
Oh me too, lyra - wouldn''t that be fabulous? It had crossed my mind to see if Quest could custom duplicate the setting...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 11:30:47 AM
Author: purrfectpear
I see your point. I thought it was an antique ring. I still love the style though, it''s so pretty
1.gif
Um, actually when Hap from Quest first looked at it, he thought it was a family piece that had gotten passed down.
29.gif
i] for hap, but for the craftsmanship of the ring!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 6:41:48 AM
Author: Addy
I''m sure it''ll come back looking wonderful. Good miligrain is very important!
Thanks for the good thoughts, Addy - I''m keeping my fingers crossed that Quest can do something fabulous!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see it on your finger once again!

Lori

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to see it revamped!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks loriken and Tacori - I''m anxious and excited to see how it will all turn out. I''m trying to keep my expectations low, especially on the milgrain. I''ll be sure to post pics when I get it back, hopefully by this Saturday.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your e-ring is fabulous, and I am sure she will come back to you looking gorgeous and refreshed!

frenchblue

Shiny_Rock
cellentani, if you''re looking for a new setting, have you considered one of the vatche alexas? http://www.dvatche.com/fashion.html
i thought your ring WAS one of these til i looked closer. just a thought
1.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 6:02:53 PM
Author: frenchblue
cellentani, if you''re looking for a new setting, have you considered one of the vatche alexas? http://www.dvatche.com/fashion.html
i thought your ring WAS one of these til i looked closer. just a thought
1.gif
Thanks frenchblue, I wish I could get a new setting, but DH said this one will need to last until our 20th anniversary (we''ll be celebrating our 17th this June
2.gif
). I do like the Vatche alexas; they have such beautiful detailing, and several people have already said it''s similar. Thanks for thinking of me.
1.gif

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
awwwwwww I still LOve your setting
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you''re getting this taken care of - its a beautiful ring, but you''re right, that milgraining and some of the other issues just seem sloppy and careless.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Aw Cellentani I hope your ring gets back to you in perfect condition! I love your setting - it''s a shame that the original jeweler didn''t get the milgraining the way you wanted it but I''m sure it''ll come back from Quest better than ever, and just as beautiful (if not more so!).

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I think this sounds like a great idea cellentani, and I''m glad you are going for what will make you happy.
5.gif

I agree that perfect milgraining is so very important - that is the main reason I haven''t re-used a jeweller local to me for a new project - her milgrain was good, but not great.

I think your ideas for improving the ring sound really positive, and I''m sure quest will do a good job - can''t wait to see the transformation!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
You guys make me feel so much better - thanks blinky, AmberGretchen, BEG, and AJ. What is this, Wednesday? When I last spoke with Quest on Monday (you know PSers, they can''t just drop off a ring without a follow-up call), Hap said it should be ready on Friday - so yay! only 2 more days!! He did try to temper my expectations by saying there''s only so much they could do to fix someone else''s mistakes, but I''m sure it will be so much better than before.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure it will look much better!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always loved your setting it reminds me of this one:
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Diamond-Accent-Engagement-Rings-12/Vatche-Antique-Diamond-Engagement-Ring--168-1205.html

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 10:25:21 AM
Author: cellentani
You guys make me feel so much better - thanks blinky, AmberGretchen, BEG, and AJ. What is this, Wednesday? When I last spoke with Quest on Monday (you know PSers, they can''t just drop off a ring without a follow-up call), Hap said it should be ready on Friday - so yay! only 2 more days!! He did try to temper my expectations by saying there''s only so much they could do to fix someone else''s mistakes, but I''m sure it will be so much better than before.

Yay just 2 more days to go! So excited for you Cellentani - I''m sure Saturday will bring you a perfect ring!
1.gif
(well in execution - I think the design is already perfect
1.gif
)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 2:25:20 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Yay just 2 more days to go! So excited for you Cellentani - I''m sure Saturday will bring you a perfect ring!
1.gif
1.gif
)
Thanks, BEG - I can''t wait. In the meantime, my BevK pink tourmaline is keeping my finger company.
31.gif
Hey, do you have any new projects in the works? Have you started thinking about your NZ ring yet?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 4:46:14 PM
Author: cellentani
Date: 2/18/2009 2:25:20 PM

1.gif
1.gif
)

Thanks, BEG - I can''t wait. In the meantime, my BevK pink tourmaline is keeping my finger company.
31.gif
Hey, do you have any new projects in the works? Have you started thinking about your NZ ring yet?

I bet that BevK is good company too!
1.gif
Right now all I have is my opal ring - I sent it to Maddy on Etsy a while back so she could reset it. I''m going to put the NZ ring on hold for a bit though
7.gif
I put the money going towards that towards a Kindle instead
3.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 9:42:25 PM
I bet that BevK is good company too!
1.gif
Right now all I have is my opal ring - I sent it to Maddy on Etsy a while back so she could reset it. I''m going to put the NZ ring on hold for a bit though
7.gif
I put the money going towards that towards a Kindle instead
3.gif
Oh yeah, I think I remember your ring - it''s a big opal, right? I''m not familiar with Maddy; do you have a pic of the setting?

A Kindle wil be great for your trip; I saw your thread about book recommendations and wondered how you were going to pull that off! I wish I read more; my last book was "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich", but only because I found "The Gulag Archipelago" too tedius.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results