shape
carat
color
clarity

Celebrating a milestone. Rolex or upgrade e-ring?

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
luv2sparkle|1373424864|3480047 said:
You could go up to a 1.2 stone. I am not sure if that would be worth it for me. I would probably go for the watch. I would want one with some sparklies though, so a Rolex would not be my choice. Whatever you decide, congratulations on your accomplishment! You most certainly deserve a nice reward. I hope you look at it every day and enjoy it!

I want something blingy too, and now that I'm really checking prices, I don't think I can get bling on the Rolex. What type of watch would you get with my budget? :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1373409480|3479920 said:
Missy raises an interesting point about the Cartier. Are you he!! bent on a Rolex (I was, so I understand) or do you simply want a really really nice watch? I have the Cartier Roadster (yet another watch I do not wear, LOL) and it is also a great piece for less $.

Well Ms Dee Jay, have you seen the Pre-loved forum here? Some of your friends might be interested in your extra items that you do not wear!!! :naughty: ;))

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
nala|1373415255|3479969 said:
I would upgrade the e-ring. I went from a .90 to a 1.43 and I love that size! I get compliments daily! I then purchased a Michele diamond Deco to see if I could even get back into wearing watches. I bought it preowned and love it. Then, thinking that I was ready for a status watch, I purchased a preowned Rolex, two-toned.... although it was very comfortable to wear, it just wasn't blingy enough for me and I didn't once get a compliment. My husband reminded me that people do not compliment on a Rolex, and I didn't buy it for the compliments, but I guess I just felt like I might as well be wearing any brand. I contemplated adding a diamond bezel (I posted about it on RT) but I didn't want to devalue the watch with non-factory parts. I sold my watch about a month ago because I just couldn't justify wearing such an expensive watch that didn't bling or do much for me. Also, in the back of my mind, I was always worried about the maintenance. Even though my watch was only a 2003, I was concerned that I would have to invest a good $800 to maintain it, every 5 to 7 years. That was my experience. Hope it helps.

Hi Nala! Thanks for the input. This is something I'll definitely consider... Even if I upgraded my stone, I can't go up more than to 1.2, and I would love to be around 1.5. Do you wear a watch now? If so, what kind?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy made a really great point about letting your husband be involved in the diamond upgrade for an anniversary or similar occasion. If you think that is a realistic possibility, then go for the watch!!! I'd really want a new one, though, so I might save a little more to get a new one.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Upgrade all the way! But I'm not a watch person so my opinion is pretty biased. Either way, I'm sure you''ll end up with something beautiful you'll cherish!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is for the watch! Seiko to Rolex is an awesome upgrade! :love: :appl:

Other reasons for the watch upgrade
- watches are bigger so they don't get misplaced as easily
- they are easier to resize - add/remove links, whereas ring settings may have sizing limitations
- and a watch comes in handy for telling time if your cellphone dies :bigsmile: (can't tell you how many times I kicked myself for not having a watch on when the phone died, and I had to make it to an appointment or meeting!)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for the watch!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovelyHearts|1373425879|3480053 said:
Thanks Dancing Fire. Wow! bem3231's watch is to die for! That is WAAAYYY outta my price range. LOL. But the size looks great.

Now to find the perfect watch for me.....

Anyone buy from eBay? The prices seem good, but alot have aftermarket alterations or custom work done to it. Any thoughts?
I have never bought a watch on Ebay. I do trust the long time members on Timezone.com. Are you looking for a 18K/SS lady's Datejust?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
LovelyHearts|1373406141|3479876 said:
Hi Dreamer! Glad to see you're still on PS!

I do wear a watch ... every day. My watch and my e-ring/wedding band are pieces I wear daily, and that's why these are the 2 pieces I was thinking about. I currently wear a Seiko that is very outdated, but is so reliable!

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the rolex more... but unsure of what I can get for my price range. I've checked eBay and other online vendors, but I can't tell how old some of them are even though they all look new... and some say they have "custom" pieces on them... a little afraid of paying so much for something that won't last or will need to have serviced soon.

A watch does sound like a really great choice in this case. I feel like for $5k you can get a watch that is DA BOMB. But it won't get you so much in terms of upgrading because you will be jumping the 1ct mark.

Is it the name or symbolism of the rolex you like? Or the esthetic? For *me* I feel like there are more beautiful styles of watches that are equally high end.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which Seiko do you wear right now?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I vote watch too! I agree with those who said an ering upgrade is more of a relationship celebration, whereas the watch is more of an individual celebration. Though, my husband gave me a Cartier to commemorate our two children, so maybe you should ignore me ;))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say the Rolex because of this type of milestone. I think of the ering more as a marriage milestone thing.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Love the idea of a watch. If it was me I'd definitely get a Cartier but I'm not a watch purist and am more concerned with the look than performance! I just love the iconic style of the Cartiers.

You are right that you probably won't be able to get diamonds on a Rolex at your price point but you could with an Omega if that brand interests you. Personally I like my watch to not have diamonds as I think it makes it more of an everyday piece. And it lets me wear my other diamond pieces without worrying about overkill. But I envy those who can pull off a blinged out watch!

I can't wait to see what you pick!

PS I would look at TimeZone's resale section. You need a log on but it's the most reputable way to purchase a preowned watch in my opinion. Amazon is "gray market" option that has less risk but less savings.

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1373470284|3480268 said:
Thanks Dancing Fire. Wow! bem3231's watch is to die for! That is WAAAYYY outta my price range. LOL. But the size looks great.

Anyone buy from eBay? The prices seem good, but alot have aftermarket alterations or custom work done to it. Any thoughts?
I have never bought a watch on Ebay. I do trust the long time members on Timezone.com. Are you looking for a 18K/SS lady's Datejust?

Hi DF! Yes, that sounds right. I went on timezone.com but it says they're not allowed to discuss prices or vendors... and i couldn't find a timezone classified section...

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1373474324|3480299 said:
LovelyHearts|1373406141|3479876 said:
Hi Dreamer! Glad to see you're still on PS!

I do wear a watch ... every day. My watch and my e-ring/wedding band are pieces I wear daily, and that's why these are the 2 pieces I was thinking about. I currently wear a Seiko that is very outdated, but is so reliable!

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the rolex more... but unsure of what I can get for my price range. I've checked eBay and other online vendors, but I can't tell how old some of them are even though they all look new... and some say they have "custom" pieces on them... a little afraid of paying so much for something that won't last or will need to have serviced soon.

A watch does sound like a really great choice in this case. I feel like for $5k you can get a watch that is DA BOMB. But it won't get you so much in terms of upgrading because you will be jumping the 1ct mark.

Is it the name or symbolism of the rolex you like? Or the esthetic? For *me* I feel like there are more beautiful styles of watches that are equally high end.

I think I chose rolex because that is pretty much the only high end brand that I've seen or recognized on people. Now I know about Cartier and Michele. Do you have something in mind you would recommend? I'm getting a bit discouraged because I won't be able to get a new watch that is in my budget.. it would be used if I went with a rolex.

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Rosebloom|1373481747|3480379 said:
Love the idea of a watch. If it was me I'd definitely get a Cartier but I'm not a watch purist and am more concerned with the look than performance! I just love the iconic style of the Cartiers.

You are right that you probably won't be able to get diamonds on a Rolex at your price point but you could with an Omega if that brand interests you. Personally I like my watch to not have diamonds as I think it makes it more of an everyday piece. And it lets me wear my other diamond pieces without worrying about overkill. But I envy those who can pull off a blinged out watch!

I can't wait to see what you pick!

PS I would look at TimeZone's resale section. You need a log on but it's the most reputable way to purchase a preowned watch in my opinion. Amazon is "gray market" option that has less risk but less savings.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into Cartier and Omega. I'm leaning towards wanting a new watch rather than a used one, which is what I will get with the rolex.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to suggest an Omega Ladymatic, also, but looks out of your price range for new?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovelyHearts|1373494072|3480548 said:
Dancing Fire|1373470284|3480268 said:

Hi DF! Yes, that sounds right. I went on timezone.com but it says they're not allowed to discuss prices or vendors... and i couldn't find a timezone classified section...
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=71

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=32

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovelyHearts|1373494261|3480555 said:
Dreamer_D|1373474324|3480299 said:
I think I chose rolex because that is pretty much the only high end brand that I've seen or recognized on people. Now I know about Cartier and Michele. Do you have something in mind you would recommend? I'm getting a bit discouraged because I won't be able to get a new watch that is in my budget.. it would be used if I went with a rolex.

You can get a new medium size Cartier Tank for $4700+tax. I'd only buy from Cartier website/stores or authorized retailers.

http://www.cartier.us/collections/timepieces/womens-watches/tank/tank-francaise/w51011q3-tank-francaise-watch-medium-model

There are other Cartier models within your 5K budget.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1373512383|3480803 said:
I also really prefer the look of the Cartier watches. A less expensive option that looks a lot like the Tank Francaise is this:

http://www.cartier.us/collections/timepieces/womens-watches/tank/tank-solo/w5200013-tank-solo-watch-small-model

:love:

A classic look that will serve you well for years, and you'll have money left over to put towards your upgrade... or take hubby out to a wonderful dinner with... or to splurge with! (To be honest, I like the lines on this watch better than those on the Francaise.)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahem - Dee Jay ... Where can I purchase these two dasterdly dust-collectors of yours?

And - to the OP ... WATCH MOST DEF. Personally, I really like the Rolex Submariner .. and you might be able to get one used for 5K through one of the resale watch forums or a reputable ebay dealer. HOWEVER, if you want to feel more *luxurious* about the purchase ... new Cartiers are probably the way to go.

There's a middle ground here ... in the Tourneau pre-owned section. Where you can still have a retail store experience but buy a lightly used watch (purchased from them .. so you know it's legit.)

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you decide on a Cartier check your local Costco.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Not that I stalk Cartier watches or anything, but here are wrist shots of the small Balloon Bleu and the small Santos Demoiselle (both of which are under $5k)...

imageuploadedbytapatalk1373518633.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1373518648.jpg

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow these are great options. Thanks for taking time out of your days to give me advice. You don't know how much this means to me.

I've been looking through the Cartier site. What do you think of the Ronde Solo? http://www.cartier.us/collections/timepieces/womens-watches/ronde-solo-de-cartier/w6701004-ronde-solo-watch-small-model

Or the small Tank Solo http://www.jomashop.com/cartier-tank-solo-w5200013.html?green=A67A0385-FB63-5EF2-AAAC-538F417D4C9B&utm_source=mybuys&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=webrec&ref8=sggstbx

Why are some arms blue? Should I care that it's a quartz?

And what is this I hear of my budget allowing for a watch and a bangle bracelet? OooOOooo! :lickout:

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Rosebloom|1373518653|3480874 said:
Not that I stalk Cartier watches or anything, but here are wrist shots of the small Balloon Bleu and the small Santos Demoiselle (both of which are under $5k)...

That Balloon Blue is swweeetttt! Looks like a great size too. How do you feel about the Balloon Bleu vs the Ronde Solo?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results