shape
carat
color
clarity

Celebrating a milestone. Rolex or upgrade e-ring?

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi PSers! I wanted to ask for your expertise and advice, since you all are such saavy shoppers and many of you are so much more fashionable than I could ever imagine I'd be.

I have been on the hunt for the last 3 weeks for a present for myself to celebrate a personal milestone. I don't want to go too much into the milestone (no one lines a bragger), but I am really proud of myself. I landed a job at a great company with a targeted salary goal I set, a number I didn't think I'd reach until long after I graduated from college. I told myself that when I got to that range, I'd buy myself something nice... here I am ahead of schedule, why not celebrate now! The interview process took almost 3 months, but I landed the job in November. I'm really conservative so I wanted to give myself 6 months to adjust at the new job to really call it "my career". Well, I hit the 6 months in May, and have been thinking about what I should buy to celebrate!

After months of debating, I've narrowed it down to 2 things that I know I will appreciate and wear daily. I want to either upgrade my BGD solitaire or get a rolex. Again, I am really conservative and with having a family, don't want to spend TOO much money. I am a working mom of 2 girls (4 & 5 now) and have been going to school full time (graduating in May 2014). I'm looking at a budget of $5K. The e-ring is pretty sentimental to me though... although I can never say no to a bigger diamond.

Which would you choose? An upgrade to your e-ring from a .8 stone to whatever the extra budget will give me? Or a rolex?

If rolex, do you know what I can get for $5K?

Thank you in advance for your opinion!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I'd say go for the watch. It's more of a symbol of career success IMO, and depending on where you work, you probably want a nice watch.

The e-ring upgrade I'd probably save for a significant anniversary, like the 10th or 15th. Feels more meaningful that way, and you said you're sentimental about the ring anyway. Congrats! You deserve to treat yourself :appl:

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
Upgrade! I got a rolex upon finishing grad school several years ago, and while I love it, no one really wears watches anymore . . . I only wear it if it really compliments my outfit or I'm going to a very formal business meeting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you wear a watch at present? Is a watch a key piece of your jewellery wardrobe?

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Dreamer! Glad to see you're still on PS!

I do wear a watch ... every day. My watch and my e-ring/wedding band are pieces I wear daily, and that's why these are the 2 pieces I was thinking about. I currently wear a Seiko that is very outdated, but is so reliable!

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the rolex more... but unsure of what I can get for my price range. I've checked eBay and other online vendors, but I can't tell how old some of them are even though they all look new... and some say they have "custom" pieces on them... a little afraid of paying so much for something that won't last or will need to have serviced soon.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say go for the upgrade (which is what I recently did w/ BGD)! Watches are usually an afterthought for me and would not give me as much pleasure as a new diamond would! I looked at your current BGD setting--I would ask them if they could integrate a new head into your existing setting to accommodate a larger stone to save some $$ (since you have stones integrated into the band). I used to have the Truth 3 stone setting and they were able to change the middle diamond out for a nominal fee.

Good luck with your decision whatever you choose!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'd upgrade the e-ring first. I always think of balance and I'd want the e-ring a certain size before buying the Rolex. But that's just me, and you can certainly do either you prefer! I'd buy a Rolex from an authorized dealer, I think, though.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for the watch to celebrate this milestone. I bought a Rolex with my first "real" bonus and back in the day when I actually wore a watch it made me very happy. Also, not sure if this matters to you, but a lot more men will notice a Rolex than a ring so if you're in a field where it's important to exhibit "status" to men (and it's amazing the subtleties that go into the way people's brains notice and process things) then that's definitely what I'd go with. (Not sure that last part is coming out right--I'm thinking of alpha male dominated fields--but you probably get what I mean.)

Either way -- congratulations!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It's such a personal decision but I would go for the Rolex since you do wear a watch every day. I wear my Rolex almost every day (I occasionally wear my Cartier tank when I am not wearing my Rolex) and I really love it. I agree with the posters who said an ER upgrade is a perfect gift for an anniversary or even Valentine's Day. An occasion where you are celebrating the 2 of you whereas a watch is more of a gift you can give yourself for such a milestone. Ofc anytime you want bling no matter the occasion is a good way to go but since you asked for personal opinions that's what I would do.

Either way you really cannot go wrong...please come back with bling shots!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy raises an interesting point about the Cartier. Are you he!! bent on a Rolex (I was, so I understand) or do you simply want a really really nice watch? I have the Cartier Roadster (yet another watch I do not wear, LOL) and it is also a great piece for less $.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you decide on a Rolex then I'd advise you to check out Timezone.com. $5K will buy you a very nice 18K/SS Datejust.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you wear a watch every day, I'm leaning towards the Rolex. I agree with others that a wedding anniversary is a good time to do an upgrade. Either one would be lovely though...what a nice dilemma to have, and congratulations on your success! :appl:

E B

Ideal_Rock
missy|1373408685|3479911 said:
Congratulations! It's such a personal decision but I would go for the Rolex since you do wear a watch every day. I wear my Rolex almost every day (I occasionally wear my Cartier tank when I am not wearing my Rolex) and I really love it. I agree with the posters who said an ER upgrade is a perfect gift for an anniversary or even Valentine's Day. An occasion where you are celebrating the 2 of you whereas a watch is more of a gift you can give yourself for such a milestone. Ofc anytime you want bling no matter the occasion is a good way to go but since you asked for personal opinions that's what I would do.

Agree with this. Watch all the way.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

+1 Though my dream watch is a Cartier Roadster. If I had 5k I would probably do the watch.

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your input! What some of you are saying makes a lot of sense. I really want this gift to myself to be about me and my accomplishment as a person separate of my husband and my kids. I've made so many sacrifices I think I deserve this one splurge!

I am set on a rolex, although the Cartier is REALLY nice and I did find myself drooling over some of the google pics of the watch. It's just something I've been wanting for a while but wanted to wait so that it was meaningful to buy (or maybe I just needed an excuse to spend that much money on myself!).

Any ideas on where on the net I should look? I am not sure what I would be able to get for my budget... but I do want something that is two-toned and if possible, with a little bling...

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

This! =)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Def the Rolex!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks|1373413050|3479946 said:

This! =)

Add me to this line of thinking. A watch is something I also see as a business appropriate reward for a job well done, where as an e ring upgrade does seem like it should be a milestone in your relationship.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovelyHearts|1373411075|3479932 said:
Thanks for your input! What some of you are saying makes a lot of sense. I really want this gift to myself to be about me and my accomplishment as a person separate of my husband and my kids. I've made so many sacrifices I think I deserve this one splurge!

I am set on a rolex, although the Cartier is REALLY nice and I did find myself drooling over some of the google pics of the watch. It's just something I've been wanting for a while but wanted to wait so that it was meaningful to buy (or maybe I just needed an excuse to spend that much money on myself!).

Any ideas on where on the net I should look? I am not sure what I would be able to get for my budget... but I do want something that is two-toned and if possible, with a little bling...

Two reputable dealers that are authorized dealers of Rolex watches are Tourneau and Wempe
http://www.tourneau.com/
http://www.wempe.com/

LOL...I just googled preowned Rolex for you and look what came up... I never knew Overstock carried high end watches and I don't know how reputable they would be for buying a preowned rolex. I would only recommend you purchase a watch from an authorized dealer and they are not but here it is. Amazing price!
http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Pre-owned-Rolex-Womens-Two-tone-Datejust-Watch/7485197/product.html

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would upgrade the e-ring. I went from a .90 to a 1.43 and I love that size! I get compliments daily! I then purchased a Michele diamond Deco to see if I could even get back into wearing watches. I bought it preowned and love it. Then, thinking that I was ready for a status watch, I purchased a preowned Rolex, two-toned.... although it was very comfortable to wear, it just wasn't blingy enough for me and I didn't once get a compliment. My husband reminded me that people do not compliment on a Rolex, and I didn't buy it for the compliments, but I guess I just felt like I might as well be wearing any brand. I contemplated adding a diamond bezel (I posted about it on RT) but I didn't want to devalue the watch with non-factory parts. I sold my watch about a month ago because I just couldn't justify wearing such an expensive watch that didn't bling or do much for me. Also, in the back of my mind, I was always worried about the maintenance. Even though my watch was only a 2003, I was concerned that I would have to invest a good $800 to maintain it, every 5 to 7 years. That was my experience. Hope it helps.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that one that Missy posted from Overstock does seem like a good deal. I wonder if it's because it's the 26 mm size and bigger watches are in vogue at the moment. The mm size is one thing to keep in mind. If this is a watch you're going to have for a while (and it sounds like that would be the case) you probably want to buy it in a size that you will still like to wear no matter how the fashion winds blow. E.g., really big watches are fun *right now* but in a few years they may just look dated.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1373418303|3479991 said:
Wow, that one that Missy posted from Overstock does seem like a good deal. I wonder if it's because it's the 26 mm size and bigger watches are in vogue at the moment. The mm size is one thing to keep in mind. If this is a watch you're going to have for a while (and it sounds like that would be the case) you probably want to buy it in a size that you will still like to wear no matter how the fashion winds blow. E.g., really big watches are fun *right now* but in a few years they may just look dated.
Yup!,but who knows for how long. a lot of ladies are now sporting men size "36 mm" Rolexes.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for a watch. I wear my Cartier Santos every day. Just had it serviced for its 10 yr anniversary. Totally a career milestone worthy gift.

Watches are very taste and feel specific. Have you tried any Rolex models on? They have a certain look and feel that needs to be tried on. I'd go to a watch retailer like Tourneau to try on different brands to see which one works for you.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The watch from overstock is a great price, but I'd be too scared to buy from them. I haven't had good experience buying from there...

I did try on a rolex a year or so ago, but it was a mid-size, I think a 31mm? and it was a good size. I also like the ladies sizes and think they look dressier.

For those that have a rolex, would you mind posting a picture of it on your wrist along with the size? I'd be interested to see the Cartier ones too.

Again, thanks for your input.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could go up to a 1.2 stone. I am not sure if that would be worth it for me. I would probably go for the watch. I would want one with some sparklies though, so a Rolex would not be my choice. Whatever you decide, congratulations on your accomplishment! You most certainly deserve a nice reward. I hope you look at it every day and enjoy it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovelyHearts|1373424330|3480043 said:
The watch from overstock is a great price, but I'd be too scared to buy from them. I haven't had good experience buying from there...

I did try on a rolex a year or so ago, but it was a mid-size, I think a 31mm? and it was a good size. I also like the ladies sizes and think they look dressier.

For those that have a rolex, would you mind posting a picture of it on your wrist along with the size? I'd be interested to see the Cartier ones too.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-i-choose-the-right-size-of-rolex-for-me.181350/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-i-choose-the-right-size-of-rolex-for-me.181350/[/URL]

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Dancing Fire. Wow! bem3231's watch is to die for! That is WAAAYYY outta my price range. LOL. But the size looks great.

Now to find the perfect watch for me.....

Anyone buy from eBay? The prices seem good, but alot have aftermarket alterations or custom work done to it. Any thoughts?

Dancing Fire said:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-i-choose-the-right-size-of-rolex-for-me.181350/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-i-choose-the-right-size-of-rolex-for-me.181350/[/URL]

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Dancing Fire. Wow! bem3231's watch is to die for! That is WAAAYYY outta my price range. LOL. But the size looks great.

Now to find the perfect watch for me.....

Anyone buy from eBay? The prices seem good, but alot have aftermarket alterations or custom work done to it. Any thoughts?

Dancing Fire said:

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
baby monster|1373421342|3480023 said:
I'd go for a watch. I wear my Cartier Santos every day. Just had it serviced for its 10 yr anniversary. Totally a career milestone worthy gift.

Watches are very taste and feel specific. Have you tried any Rolex models on? They have a certain look and feel that needs to be tried on. I'd go to a watch retailer like Tourneau to try on different brands to see which one works for you.

Would you mind posting a picture of the Cartier Santos that you wear? Thanks. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results