shape
carat
color
clarity

cavities, graining and natural indents-need help asap

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am wondering if it expected to have diamonds with cavities, graining, natural indents and feathers when getting a large number of diamonds for an eternity ring? All these are certified and are all D colour, VVS1. Would a place like Harry Winston or Tiffany use these type of diamonds? Thanks for your help!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I would think diamonds that are certed as VVS1 would not have these inclusions or blemishes.

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
They are certified by GIA as VVS1 and do have them! Which ones are the worst ones?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 5:33:58 PM
Author:Abby12
Hi,

I am wondering if it expected to have diamonds with cavities, graining, natural indents and feathers when getting a large number of diamonds for an eternity ring? All these are certified and are all D colour, VVS1. Would a place like Harry Winston or Tiffany use these type of diamonds? Thanks for your help!

VVS1 diamonds will only contain minute inclusions--like pinpoints, minor bruising, and bearded girdles. Internal/external graining and indented naturals are ok as well--even tiny chips that could be polished away, but not cavities.

A cavity is an opening where a feather has broken away--they extend into the stone from the surface. A cavity is deeper than a chip, and it's definitely a type of inclusion that would not fall within VVS category. Are you sure cavities are listed on the certs?
And are you sure that they are graded VVS1 and not VS1?

Tiffany certifies their own stones, so unless someone sent the ring/stones out for a GIA cert, it wouldn't have one.

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I am sure it is a VVS1 GIA graded D colour ideal cut diamond. I just checked again.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
GIA doesn''t use the ideal cut grade their highest grade is excellent

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I''m confused. Is it one diamond? or many in an eternity band? If it''s an eternity band like you first posted, the stones would be fairly substantial to each have a cert. And yes, like Deelight said, GIA does not use the term "ideal."

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 10:31:57 PM
Author: Abby12
Yes, I am sure it is a VVS1 GIA graded D colour ideal cut diamond. I just checked again.

And cavities are on the cert?
33.gif

Something''s not adding up here.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I''d like to share what I''ve seen so far, so please correct me if I''m wrong. I think VVS1 can have feathers but they will be minute. I saw a very nice stone 1.58 L VVS1/2 on GOG with a feather. However, cavities generally go under I clairty. Noticed it when I''m searching for a diamond for my RHR now. Hope this helps. :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others, VVS inclusions are going to be minute.

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
Yes I realize that GIA does not use Ideal, I just meant that it is a H and Arrows stone. It is rated as excellent on GIA. The stone is question is loose and is .23 I am going to have an eternity ring made eventually. It has a cavity on a VVS1 stone. I am wondering if this is bad or not?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2008 6:12:45 AM
Yes I realize that GIA does not use Ideal, I just meant that it is a H and Arrows stone. It is rated as excellent on GIA. The stone is question is loose and is .23 I am going to have an eternity ring made eventually. It has a cavity on a VVS1 stone. I am wondering if this is bad or not?
I very much doubt a VVS cavity in that size diamond would be of concern.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 6:15:10 AM
Author: Lorelei

ditto Lorelei--it better not be!
rollpin.gif

3.gif

23 pointers in an eternity band sounds fabulous! Please post photos of the finished ring. If the stones are certed D VVS1--you're in good shape--excessively good!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2008 7:27:12 AM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 11/12/2008 6:15:10 AM
Author: Lorelei

ditto Lorelei--it better not be!
rollpin.gif

3.gif

23 pointers in an eternity band sounds fabulous! Please post photos of the finished ring. If the stones are certed D VVS1--you''re in good shape--excessively good!
9.gif
LOL!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results